View Full Version : Object Invisible once placed
14th Mar 2009, 01:54 AM
EDIT: Realising that this new attempt at this object has not got me any further towards success than a previous attempt, and is also harder to debug because it causes the Scenegrapher to crash I have reverted to a previous version that had exactly the same problem in the game but doesn't cause the crash in the scenegrapher.
My current project has me going round in circles. I know there is something wrong with the linkage of resources but I can't work out what. The object was cloned from a master-slave relationship and then had TXTRs etc added to unslave it (don't ask - driveways are annoying!). The scenegraph looks fine to me:-
I've gone through the information in the Wiki about the Scenegraph (http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Understanding_the_Scenegraph) several times but still haven't been able to sort it out.
The in game behaviour it exhibits is that the object is invisible once placed (although not while placing) so I have also gone through this thread which has helped me sort this kind of thing out in the past, several times too, but no luck this time.
Attaching package [now removed] - hope that someone can untangle my mess and help me out.
14th Mar 2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the idea buggybooz - tried that - but to no avail.
I wonder if I should start over with a different base object - driveways are a real real pain to clone from, and worse when they are a slave. Create standalone just doesn't work with them.
EDIT: I have reverted to a previous invisble object which doesn't make the scenegraph crash and ensured buggybooz advice was followed there too. Still a problem, but at least the scenegraph seems OK (??)
What is causing this object to be invisible once placed? I am stumped.
Any help most welcome.
14th Mar 2009, 11:24 PM
I had a similar problem - it might sound silly, but double check and make sure the shape name is the same as the name of that part in the mesh area - sorry, for some reason my mind it refusing to give me the proper section names at the moment.
14th Mar 2009, 11:46 PM
I had a similar problem - it might sound silly, but double check and make sure the shape name is the same as the name of that part in the mesh area - sorry, for some reason my mind it refusing to give me the proper section names at the moment.I'm not sure if I'm translating your lack of proper section names correctly, but do you mean check that the SHPE and the GMDC and the GMND are all named equivalently like this?
15th Mar 2009, 04:06 PM
I noticed you have two subsets listed in shape, but you only have one subset. You only need one, the one that takes the default texture. To have the second recolor in your package you just need the TXTR, MMAT, & TXMT.
This didn't fix it though. But I did get confused on your filename inside the package. I see your cres name in the pic above, and the subset name is rockbase. But in some parts of the package you also have "drivewayconcrete" prior to the names. So is that part of your subset name or cres name?
15th Mar 2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the headsup about only needing the one subset in the shape resource. I added the second one in an attempt to fix the object since one of the links I was following said they all had to be listed (I did worry if I was interpretting that correctly - wasn't clear if it meant subsets of MMATs - didn't change the behaviour when I changed it so I knew that wasn't the break - and now I know I shouldn't have done it!).
The confusing names have been inherited from the object I cloned from (a driveway extension) and perhaps are part of the problem - they are certainly not part of the subset name, but maybe have come from the cloned-from cres. I will see if tweaking those make any difference.
17th Mar 2009, 01:16 AM
It seems to be an issue when cloning. I did a quick clone without making changes and ran into the same issue. I even tried checking the standalone object box, didn't help. Oh, and the weird naming issues is straight from EA.
17th Mar 2009, 01:31 AM
I figured it would be - there are a number of previous threads from me on this forum about cloning driveways - indeed it is true that standalone doesn't seem to work for them.
I begin to really believe that my best bet is to clone something else entirely, then pull in the mesh from the driveway and reposition the slot accordingly to recreate a "clone" of a driveway. I am making a parking space (see here) and the driveway extension seemed like the perfect starting point. Hey Ho.
Thanks for all help offered so far. I'll keep this object and start afresh, but if there are any other ideas, I'll leave this thread open for a little while longer, as it would still be quicker for me to fix this one.
EDIT: OK - so I have decided to bite the bullet and start this project again by cloning from something entirely different. Seems to work so far, so I am going to mark this thread as [Solved] (although the problem is not solved - for anyone who lands up here in the future, avoid cloning driveway extensions!)
vBulletin v3.0.14, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.