PDA

View Full Version : Do Maxis designed homes use building techniques beyond the features offered in the retail versions?

Inceptor
14th Jan 2011, 3:35 AM
I see this especially in the later EPs such as ambitions and late night.

In Bridgeport's "Beverly Hills" district, there are some pretty cool design elements like a foundation on a roof, or a window in a basement, and stairs to the basements that go through higher than average foundations.

Am I missing something? How do I build thicker floors, or half roofs, without using cheats!? Some of the houses have variable height floors with short staircases on the second floor. I wanna be able to do this!!!

TheLB
14th Jan 2011, 3:53 AM
As far as I know all NPC homes are DIY-able. (: Here's a good homebuilding guide I found:

I'm a link (http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/articles/homebuilding/)

I especially reccomend the "Building on a slope" section, it contains how to make houses on slopes, for one, and some pretty helpful cheats to use if you want to get creative with your landscaping. Unfortunately, a lot of actions I've found, such as combining walls and foundations on one floor, are undoable without cheats.(or just really hard)

As far as I can tell you, practice and familiarize yourself with the tools. The people who make the homes for nps have been at it for a long time, so naturally the houses they make are going to be hella fancy. Practice makes perfect. (:

kattenijin
14th Jan 2011, 4:06 AM
The foundations on roofs is actually a "frieze". You type "placefriezes" on/off in the cheat box, and use the foundation tool to make them.

el_flel
14th Jan 2011, 4:36 AM
I strongly doubt that they're using techniques which aren't offered in the retail game. They're using building cheats, like the one kattenijin provided for putting foundations on rooves.

Re the window in the basement I'm guessing you must mean that part of the basement was above ground (why have a window which just shows... dirt?), in which case it is probably possible to use the cheat 'moveobjects on' to place the window, then grab it again and press esc to get it to show properly.

If you want to learn you could check out the Building section under Create. There's also a list of cheats under the Help section. There are quite a lot for building and once you've gotten the hang of them you can do some pretty nifty things with them.

ohtar
14th Jan 2011, 5:09 AM
they cheat like there's no tomorrow. codes galore lol
but its all stuff you can do yourself with a little knowhow.

sweetichigodream
14th Jan 2011, 8:58 PM
In my humble opinion I think they should create a "Advanced" button to add a lot of more advanced stuff so you don't have to look up the cheat codes because you forgot them... Even simply a list with check boxes would do!