View Full Version : Hair Issue: Gaps when Mirroring Right to Left Side
16th Nov 2011, 9:58 PM
So, I've almost finished my first hair mesh ever, and I have this odd problem.
I meshed out the right side of some cornrows, then for the left side I simply selected the right side and did Vertex -> Mirror Left <--> Right. The right side (original) shows up fine in the game, but the left side has some small issues with weird gaps showing up.
What's the easiest way to fix the gaps on the left side? It looks like some of the faces are transparent for some reason. Do I need to create undersides? Or select the problem faces in Milkshape & reverse vertex order? Or something else I'm not thinking of?
Thanks in advance.
17th Nov 2011, 1:45 AM
I bet those vertices have incorrect boneassignements.
They prolly still assigned to the right ear?
17th Nov 2011, 2:00 AM
I assigned everything to HeadNew.
So, this is weird. I just looked at some other pics I took in-game, and on a different sim it doesn't look like the left side is as bad.
Could different head sizes be responsible for this?
17th Nov 2011, 10:21 AM
if the error changes it is prolly related to the BGeo files(for the morphs)
you did include/create/update the morphs?
Use the sims fat slider and check wether it gets worse or not.
18th Nov 2011, 5:22 AM
EDIT: I figured it out!
The fat & muscle sliders didn't have any effect, and neither did the face sliders.
However, changing the eyes results in the distortion on some of the cornrows & some of the frohawk, but not all of it. So I thought your first guess about the bones might be right, but when I import Lod0 into milkshape and check the bone assignments, everything is assigned 100% to HeadNew. I'm really stumped on how I should fix this. Assign to a different bone?
edit2: It looks like I'm having that same problem as this thread:
but only a few select parts of my mesh are affected by the "hair moving with the eye slider" bug.
18th Nov 2011, 12:42 PM
no, it is then most likly caused by some identical Vert ID's.
Did you renumber the meshes already?
If not, import basemesh and morphs and number the meshes correctly with Wes his autonumtool.
Export, rebuild your Bgeo files and check again.
18th Nov 2011, 11:15 PM
omg, THANK YOU!!! That fixed it!
At first, about 5% of my hair mesh was being deformed by the eye slider. After renumbering from 0, about 2% of the hair mesh was deformed. Then I did a little more research, and I renumbered it starting from 40000, and now it works perfectly!
Thanks again! Now, I just need to convert this for males and make it a little less shiny :D
18th Nov 2011, 11:48 PM
your welcome, i dont know wat the range is for hair.
You should check a basegame mesh for it.
But 40000 and up wont clash with any of the basegame stuff :)
19th Nov 2011, 6:05 AM
The standard range for hair is 20000 - 29999.
19th Nov 2011, 8:09 AM
So, would it be better to number my mesh starting from 20000 instead? (My mesh has less than 10000 vertices.) In case there are conflicts in future updates?
19th Nov 2011, 1:13 PM
if it is possible i would.
I once created a slidercompatible shoppinbag were i also used the 40.000 range i think.
Now if you use both the hair and bag on a sim you get distortions again.
19th Nov 2011, 3:14 PM
I agree - I've also done a slider object that uses a high range of numbers. Put your hair in the standard range and you reduce the chances of conflicts.
20th Nov 2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you both for your advice. I renumbered the vertices to the standard range and have finished the hair (located here (http://www.kittyklan.com/content/dont-call-it-comeback-frohawk-w-cornrows) , if you'd like to see).
20th Nov 2011, 1:02 AM
vBulletin v3.0.14, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.