PDA

View Full Version : Sims4XmlExtractor: extracts individual tuning files from the combined tuning resource (2014-10-29: v0.0.0.6: fix for STBL issue and support for object info)

velocitygrass
13th Sep 2014, 10:10 AM
--

Moderator note 2015-05-08: velocitygrass hasn't logged in for quite a while, so this tool should be regarded as currently not supported. In this thread (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=556292) scumbumbo has provided an alternative that works with the current patch level -- you can use that for now.

--

:new: 2014-10-29: v0.0.0.6: Fixed STBL refs not being used when they had missing leading zeros. Added support for object info (see FAQ for info on implementation). Thanks DarkWalker!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.5: Fixed tuning package file filter to actually be SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, not ...FullBuild.... Thanks plasticbox!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.4: The combined tuning can now be read from the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package directly and the tool will optionally add comments with the name of reference or the text of a STBL ID.
2014-09-22: v0.0.0.3: Completely rewrote the parser with classes that should preserve the attribute order. It also speeds up the initialization and lowers memory consumption. Indentation for non-compact xmls is now 2 spaces.
2014-09-14: v0.0.0.2: fixed the module resource type (it's 0x03B33DDF, which I verified with two sample mods that change the starting funds and the starting day and time) and added {instance#} to the naming patterns (for decimal instance).

This tool resolves the references of the combined tuning xml and extracts the instance and module tunings in individual xml files.

Please let me know about errors so that I can fix them.

Source code is GPL3 and attached.

http://i.imgur.com/fRyKW0k.png

How to install
- Use 7zip to unpack the folder/file. For the update version extract that into your existing Sims4XmlExtractor folder.

How to start
- Just click the Sims4XmlExtractor.exe

How to use

You need to give the tool the path to the previously exported combined tuning resource 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package which contains it.
- Click "Browse" to select the resource or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package
- You can also simply paste the path to the file in the line edit (this option doesn't remember the path)
Select an export folder for the files by browsing or pasting it. The folder must exist.
Select a naming pattern for the exported files. I have convenience buttons for S4PE compatible format and the EA unpacked mod naming pattern, but you can create your own naming pattern by using one of the following placeholders:
- {instance}, {group}, {type}: lowercase hex without leading 0x
- {INSTANCE}, {GROUP}, {TYPE}: uppercase hex without leading 0x
- {instance#}: decimal instance
- {name}: the name of the resource, e.g. trait_EternalBond
There's a preview of what the filename will look like. Please ensure that your combination results in unique file names. If a file already exists, it will simply not be written.
Check or uncheck creation of subfolders. If checked the tool will group the xml files the way they are grouped in the combined tuning (tag R), e.g. in "action" or "trait" subfolders.
Check or uncheck if all whitespace and line breaks should be removed. This is recommended for distribution by EA, but for browsing the files leaving them in can make them more readable.
Check or uncheck if names of reference targets should be put in comments after the target, e.g. <L n="objectives"><T>24715</T></L> becomes <L n="objectives"><T>24715<!--Max_Astronaut--></T></L>
:!: Please note that I do not check if the value is actually a reference or just a normal number. E.g. it is possible that a setting has an integer value of "24715" and the <!--Max_Astronaut--> would still be added even though it's not meant as a reference to that objective.
Optionally add the path to an exported STBL file or a package that contains one. If this is done and the option to print reference names in comments is selected, the tool will read the STBL file (or the first it finds in the given package) and use that to resolve all hexadecimal references and print the string in comments, e.g.<T n="descriptive_text">0x8F1F5015<!--"Have a Sim reach max level in the Astronaut career."--></T>
Click "Export" to start the export

FAQ

Where do I find SimulationDeltaBuild0.package or this resource?
- The combined tuning resource has the type 0x62E94D38, the group 0x00000000, and the instance 0xF1352E740C4710BA and can be found in the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and the unpatched old version in the SimulationFullBuild0.package). You can use S4PE to extract the file from the package.
- SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and SimulationFullBuild0.package) can be found the Data/Simulation subfolder of the Sims 4 installation.
What do I do with the xmls?
- That depends entirely on your goal.
- They can serve as a way to look up information, e.g. how much will career X earn at level Y.
- They can serve as a base to modify tuning settings. E.g. you can change how much a sim will earn from a career at a certain level. Please be aware however that many tunings that have a rendering component (where something will be displayed on screen) will require to make the same changes in the accompanying DATA file (see my other tool for making changes to that). Also note that the .tdesc files available in the EA modding documentation include additional information and tuning settings (like the defaults which might never appear in the extracted tunings because they're not overridden). Thanks to plasticbox for pointing this out in this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=533960).
- Plasticbox has posted a XML Tuning How-To here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537976).
- For discussion about package files vs unpackedmod, please check this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=534704). EA has fixed the issue with tuning in packages.
- For helpful hints on handling loose tuning files check DarkWalker's tutorial Making better use of the unpackedmod folder (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535393).
Why all the naming pattern options?
- The two ways to work with the tuning files right now are putting them in a package file or placing them directly in the unpackedmod folder (as per SimGuruModSquad's workaround for current limitations).
- The unpackedmod requires a special naming pattern to work (e.g. 0x00000000!0x0000000000006cb6.0x7df2169c)
- If you use S4PE to import your resources, a different naming pattern will allow you to import from file without making any further changes (i.e. having to type in manually the IDs).
- For a normal human just seeing the TGI combination will not be enough to make them identify the actual content of the file, so I added an option to include the name in file so that you can scroll through them and find what you're looking for (or just see what's there) without having to open each file or search.
- The decimal instance option was added because this is how the references are done in the xml and the upper and lower case are purely for esthetics.
How do I get the STBL?
- It's the resource of type 0x220557DA in Strings_[language code].package (e.g. Strings_ENG_US.package), which can be found in the Data/Client subfolder of the Sims 4 installation. It can be exported e.g. with S4PE.
How does the object info work?
- For the object info to be retrieved you'll need to use the package option for the combined tuning and have it point to SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package. The tool then assumes the installation structure so that it looks for ClientDeltaBuild0.package in a "Client" folder next to the "Simulation" folder of the SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package.
- It then retrieves info from all COBJ files for later use (TODO: do this as needed which should be faster)
- In the xml it looks for certain n attributes in tags that indicate the next decimal is an object and not a tuning. Specifically it looks for: "reward", "target_game_object", "items_to_check", "actual_object", "definition".
- The tool ignores this in the case of situation and aspiration_track tunings, where the reward is actually a tuning.

Credit: Thanks to the S4PE team, the EA devs who created the doc, the FNV site (http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/fnv/index.html), TheHologramMan for unpyc3.py, which I used to decompile the python files, which enabled me to find the module resource type, DarkWalker for info on where to find object name and description.

Shimrod101
13th Sep 2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for this! It doesn't appear to do anything incorrectly as far as I can tell so far. It also seems that default replacement XML tuning on EA's stuff is now within reach (if not just around the corner).

velocitygrass
13th Sep 2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks for letting me know that it works for you :) And yes, default replacements for tunings work. I've removed the friends requirements for my sim's career successfully, which required both Data and XML tuning.

plasticbox
13th Sep 2014, 11:32 PM
Thanksthisisgreat! It truly makes it super easy to poke at things (so far I'm still in the "I have no idea what I did, but it worked! Yay! phase though =P .. I managed tomato cake and child-only townie families and other unassorted Weirder Stuff. It's fun! =) ).

Edit, to make this a somewhat more useful post: can you perhaps move the standalone download to attachments, as well? I guess I'm not the only one who downloads the wrong version otherwise -- I didn't see the actual download link up there in the main post text at first.

ETA, I also experienced the same issue you mentioned at EA forums (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12662353/#Comment_12662353) -- XML not being read from a package, but the /unpackedmod approach works.

velocitygrass
14th Sep 2014, 8:27 AM
Yes, I hope this makes playing with (or just looking at) tunings more accessible.

I've uploaded the full program directly now. I hesitated before because it's so large, but since you're a mod, I'll take that as permission :)

Hopefully the package issue will be fixed soon, so that mods can be distributed as packages again. With the way it works now, it would be a nightmare to test tuning mods and then later try to remove them again, especially once you have a bunch.

JustAnotherSimsFan
14th Sep 2014, 9:32 AM
This'll definitely make things easier, thank you :)

plasticbox
14th Sep 2014, 10:57 AM
I've uploaded the full program directly now. I hesitated before because it's so large, but since you're a mod, I'll take that as permission :)

Hopefully the package issue will be fixed soon, so that mods can be distributed as packages again. With the way it works now, it would be a nightmare to test tuning mods and then later try to remove them again, especially once you have a bunch.

Oh sure -- 6MB are not a problem when they're doing something useful! =)

Re. the not-reading-from-package issue, I just posted again at EA forums .. hopefully they'll notice.

~MadameButterfly~
14th Sep 2014, 9:18 PM
Thank-you! You've opened up a whole new world for me to explore.

velocitygrass
15th Sep 2014, 9:32 PM
I've updated the tool with a fix for the module type (my guess was incorrect) and added a decimal instance name pattern since the cross references to instances are done in decimal in the xmls themselves.

chuckles_82
17th Sep 2014, 2:32 AM
Thank you! I'm not very experienced with game code, and have no programming skills whatsoever, so I'm just winging it here. I extracted the XMLs and am now currently importing them into their own package file in S4PE for easy browsing. I would probably recommend to use the sub folders and make it into several packages, because there are 20,518 files!! I can search these files as-is using Notepad++, too. I can't wait to find hidden nuggets of information :D

Margaret Pendragon
17th Sep 2014, 3:44 AM
Ohmywow, thank you for this. You rock my Simsworld. Can't wait to play with this tomorrow.

pcgeekri
18th Sep 2014, 1:01 PM
Hi,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Probably should post the rest of this in modding discussion but someone else could be like me and downloaded this prior to the update on Sept. 14.

Downloaded this around Sept. 12. There seems to be some changes here. First I download the small version and placed it into Data Filer. I see that is gone now. (The file with the executable and the DLL) Did it turn out the XML extractor cannot use the same dependencies as Data Filer? I did download the update with only the executable only and replaced it in my Data Filer folder. Is that okay? or should I download the full version?

Now Step 3. Formats are not defined, old Bhav modder here and this is all new. Please define the naming pattern. Which is the proper button (format) to use if one wants to export, mod the XML and import into a package file? (Ever get this figured out I'll try typing a tutorial on modding packed XML files. lol)
Thank you for your hard work. *hug*

Thanks for any help,

Pcgeeri

velocitygrass
18th Sep 2014, 7:35 PM
pcgeekri, if you can start the new updated .exe file (v0.0.0.2) there's no reason to you to download the full version.

I know (almost) nothing about Bhav modding, so I cannot tell you anything about the comparison to tuning modding in TS4. If you want to import the files into package with S4PE, I'd recommend the S4PE naming pattern.

There are certain issues with xml tuning files in packages for now (I see you already said you found that thread), and in some cases, changes only work if you also change the corresponding DATA file.

pcgeekri
18th Sep 2014, 8:16 PM
pcgeekri, if you can start the new updated .exe file (v0.0.0.2) there's no reason to you to download the full version.

I know (almost) nothing about Bhav modding, so I cannot tell you anything about the comparison to tuning modding in TS4. If you want to import the files into package with S4PE, I'd recommend the S4PE naming pattern.

There are certain issues with xml tuning files in packages for now (I see you already said you found that thread), and in some cases, changes only work if you also change the corresponding DATA file.

Oh thank you for your response. Well the data file is the one you mentioned at the beginning of your description. That big data file that placed XMLs into folders. I'm modding some of those.
Oh don't worry about what I said about Bhavs, just saying this is all new to me. I'm still trying to get them to work. *hugz*

Edit: Oh thank you again! *big hug* They are working, my import method wasn't right, but those new sim template overrides are working just fine! *smiles* Now to take a break and play some Sims 2!

And if you ever have a question about Bhavs, Bcons, STR text files, and "Run in my stack"/"Run tree by name" just let me know by pm or forum and I'll answer. Oh! and there are Global Bhavs, and Semi-Global Bhavs, private Bhavs, all that fun stuff. My SimPE is still going strong. Long live Sims 2!

Thanks again for your response that's a big help.

Thanks,
Pcgeekri

velocitygrass
18th Sep 2014, 10:25 PM
I meant DATA files (resource type 0x545AC67A). E.g. let's say you want to mod the starting funds for sims. There's an xml resource that is among the extracted tuning files: 0x00000000!0xd66f672e4576ec88.0x266ca322, which includes the 20000 as the starting funds. However, you'll also need to change the corresponding data resource S4_545AC67A_006CA304_D66F672E4576EC88%%+DATA.data (sorry for the mix of naming patterns here; it's how I have them currently exported; I hope you still get the idea) for it to actually work in the game.

pcgeekri
18th Sep 2014, 10:29 PM
I meant DATA files (resource type 0x545AC67A). E.g. let's say you want to mod the starting funds for sims. There's an xml resource that is among the extracted tuning files: 0x00000000!0xd66f672e4576ec88.0x266ca322, which includes the 20000 as the starting funds. However, you'll also need to change the corresponding data resource S4_545AC67A_006CA304_D66F672E4576EC88%%+DATA.data (sorry for the mix of naming patterns here; it's how I have them currently exported; I hope you still get the idea) for it to actually work in the game.

I understand, yes, yes. Thank you. I knew you meant Data. *hugz*

Thanks again,
Pcgeekri

malfus
21st Sep 2014, 9:49 AM
Is there a way to force your extractor to put xml elements in a consistent order? For instance, the first time I extracted, I got <I s="9882" c="Achievement" i="achievement" m="achievements.achievement_tuning" n="RL_04_50_Mile_High_Club"> and the second time, I got <I m="achievements.achievement_tuning" n="RL_04_50_Mile_High_Club" s="9882" c="Achievement" i="achievement">. It would make doing mass modding so much easier if I could get a good verbatim comparison on all the files.

velocitygrass
22nd Sep 2014, 7:25 PM
@malfus: Yes, I'd noticed that too. Unfortunately the class I used to extract the data didn't support this, so I had to completely rewrite the parser, but the order should be consistent now (it was during the several test runs I had throughout development). We'll have to see how it handles the combined tuning of the next patch. I could still explicitly set an order, e.g. alphabetically, if a patched combined tuning results in different orders.

malfus
22nd Sep 2014, 8:48 PM
Looking good. First test I ran returned the results I had expected from WinMerge. Thanks for the awesome work!

rebecah
26th Sep 2014, 7:20 PM
How do I "Exported combined tuning resource 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA"?

In other words where do I get these from? Please!

Nevermind plasticbox helped me, but for future use it might be helpful if you did explain where to find this.

Thank you very much for creating this tool!

Zach
28th Sep 2014, 12:43 AM
*read instructions, downloaded and exported, etc.*

Okay, now what?

I know it's not velocity's responsibility to provide instructions for this, but now what do you do with the files? Also, why are we given a choice for the naming pattern? When does the choice of naming come into the picture down the line?

Case in point, as a test, I modded the TechGuru-StartUp's level 10 career (S4_2C70ADF8_00000000_0000000000007ECC_career_TechGuru_StartUp_Level4.xml) to pay 10x per hour (as a test... obviously since using the motherlode cheat would be easier :P), packaged it up with sp4e, dropped it in my mod folder, but it had no effect on my Sim (who is a Level 10 TechGuru).

I looked in the unpackedmod folder (after testing the above in-game), and it's still empty, so that implies that even though the game recognized it as a non-script mod (so the startup dialog told me), it apparently didn't know what to do with it since nothing got unpacked. (I think I read somewhere that's the point of the unpackedmod folder we have to manually create and point our resource.cfg to.)

Edit: Hmmm... never mind, I guess. Though the job panel info didn't change (still reads $516/hour), my sim actually did get paid $5160/hour.

Shimrod101
28th Sep 2014, 3:40 AM
The job panel info probably isn't updated because there is a DATA file to go with this XML I would think.
Edit: Nothing is supposed to get unpacked, that folder is supposed to be empty. What you read somewhere is incorrect; having that folder is simply part of the workaround to get the game to recognize XML files.

Zach
28th Sep 2014, 4:39 AM
Edit: Nothing is supposed to get unpacked, that folder is supposed to be empty. What you read somewhere is incorrect; having that folder is simply part of the workaround to get the game to recognize XML files.

Ah, okay. Good to know. Thanks for the explanation! :up:

velocitygrass
28th Sep 2014, 10:23 AM
@rebecah: The tool can now read directly from the package (as well as the exported file) and I've added the location of the package to the FAQ. Thanks for pointing this out.
@Zach: I've tried to address a few of your points in the new FAQ section.

rebecah
28th Sep 2014, 2:06 PM
@velocitygrass: Thank you!

plasticbox
28th Sep 2014, 3:02 PM
velocitygrass, another useful thing to mention in your FAQ (which looks great!) would be this: Making better use of the unpackedmod folder (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535393 ) where DarkWalker explains how to subfolder that folder. Which is actually extremely obvious once you know *that* it works (same way as /Mods, duh!) but I guess many people wouldn't expect it to work and thus never bother to try.

plasticbox
28th Sep 2014, 3:47 PM
I think I have a bug with the version I just downloaded: when trying to point it at SimulationDeltaBuild0.package it only sees the FullBuild0.package -- it also says in the "Files of Type" dropdown: "Combined tuning file or SimulationFullBuild0.package" and won't let me change that.

Workaround is simply to navigate to the right folder, then paste "SimulationDeltaBuild0.package" into Filename, but it's still irritating because it makes it look like that file were suddenly gone =).

Zach
28th Sep 2014, 7:30 PM
@Zach: I've tried to address a few of your points in the new FAQ section.

You weren't kidding:!: On behalf of all current and future tuning tweakers, thanks for the in-depth writeup!

velocitygrass
28th Sep 2014, 9:38 PM
@plasticbox: Argh. First, I just had *.package as the filter, then I thought I'd make it easier by only allowing the actual file with the updated tuning. Obviously it helps to actually use the name of that file and not the unpatched one. *head desk* It's fixed now. Thanks for reporting this! Also thank you for the link to the tutorial. I've added it to the FAQ.

@Zach & @rebecah: You're both very welcome.

xxuntitledxx
1st Oct 2014, 5:31 AM
I downloaded all the files and the tool isn't working for me. How does it need to be installed in order to work? It's saying I'm missing a bunch of dll files.

plasticbox
1st Oct 2014, 1:23 PM
Did you download the one where it says "Download this when in doubt"? If not, try that.

plasticbox
3rd Oct 2014, 6:12 AM
I seem to have an issue with this tool not properly releasing the handle (or whatever this is called in windows techspeak) on the folder it's exporting to. Long after it's done exporting and closed, I still cannot rename that folder ("Access is denied"), as if it were in use. I've had this before with an older version too, was gone after the next reboot.

Windows XP SP3 here, and I'm still using 0.0.0.4. (Is there a workaround for this maybe, like enforcing the permissions on a folder? Similar to chown? I wouldn't know, not really being a Windows user)

velocitygrass
3rd Oct 2014, 7:33 PM
Can you check if the attached version makes a difference? It closes the files explicitly, though this should happen automatically anyway, so it might not change anything for you. I recall having far more problems in general with files remaining in use on my old XP system. I had a program (Unlocker) back then that helped resolve that issue at least some of the time. (It's available here (http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/); be aware that the latest version seems to come bundled with some toolbar that you have to opt out of during installation.)

plasticbox
3rd Oct 2014, 8:13 PM
Thank you! Yeah I know XP is really antique by now (I only still have it because of licensing complicatedness with dual boot machines -- will upgrade to something contemporary once I have a new thing to run it on). That could very well be part of the issue. Thanks for the tip re. Unlocker, I'll try that if I have the problem again =) Downloaded the explicitclose version too, thanks for that.

Edit: I just checked (as in, re-exported with the "explicitclose" one) and this time around I WAS able to rename the folder afterwards. So either the explicitclose thing solved that, or XP just decided to not be so stubborn for once, or .. whatever else =). Thanks!

xxuntitledxx
4th Oct 2014, 6:46 AM
Did you download the one where it says "Download this when in doubt"? If not, try that.

Can you direct me to that download? I've looked all over and can't find it. Thanks! =)

Shimrod101
4th Oct 2014, 7:03 AM
Can you direct me to that download? I've looked all over and can't find it. Thanks! =)

It is the 4th one in the list in the top message. The description says Full Program With All Dependencies, you know? You do not want the other files there, you install only this one file, don't attempt to install all of those files at the same time, lol.

plasticbox
9th Oct 2014, 7:28 PM
@velocitygrass I posted a short walkthrough on XML tuning here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537976 -- maybe list that in your FAQ? Also, let me know if you have any additions/corrections/suggestions.

velocitygrass
12th Oct 2014, 2:06 PM
@plasticbox: Thanks! I added the link. (My name is misspelled when you link to the extractor, but that's not a problem for following the tutorial ;) ) One thing you could add is a note that in some cases changes to the corresponding DATA file have to be made (specifically if there are fields in the tdesc marked as client_binary and/or server_binary).

plasticbox
12th Oct 2014, 4:46 PM
Thank you! Added and typo fixed =).

Myke776
15th Oct 2014, 6:57 PM
How do I get a extracted STBL file? I can't find any information on that anywhere...

velocitygrass
15th Oct 2014, 7:23 PM
@Myke776: It's the resource of type 0x220557DA in Strings_[language code].package (e.g. Strings_ENG_US.package), which can be found in the Data/Client subfolder of the Sims 4 installation. It can be exported e.g. with S4PE. I've also added this info to the FAQ.

Myke776
15th Oct 2014, 7:55 PM
@velocitygrass: Thanks! I've been searching for a while now. :)

DarkWalker
20th Oct 2014, 8:12 PM
One bug report: when the STBL ID starts with 0 your program fails to correctly add the corresponding comment, since in the tunings leading zeros are dropped. One example is the _tooltip tag close to the end of the Whim_MakeOnlineFollowers_10 file (0x00000000!0x000000000000808d.0x598f28e7).

Also, any chance of adding such comments to the reward tag inside loot files? A CSV list of object IDs to names, to serve as the source of such comments, can be easily constructed (see attached python script and text file, though the script takes OBJD files named according to the Maxis unpacked file format).

(BTW, thank you a lot for the program, it's a true lifesaver.)

velocitygrass
25th Oct 2014, 10:05 PM
@DarkWalker: Thanks for the bug report! It'll be fixed in the new version (I'll try to post it tomorrow). I've looked into the object references and am still not certain how to go about it. I'm not sure how slow it would be to retrieve the object info from the package, but the advantage would be that it wouldn't require a CSV that will be outdated with the next patch and especially with new expansions.

One thing I've been wondering is where the display name for the objects is stored. I've randomly checked the loot_Bonsai_Shape_twigs reward gardenTwigsGEN_01. Neither the 0xC0DB5AE7 nor the object tuning linked in it nor the 0x319E4F1D seem to contain the display name hash, which I suspect is 0xDEDC16DE: Bunch of Twigs. Do you happen to know where this might be stored?

In any case, thanks for the suggestion and information!

DarkWalker
25th Oct 2014, 10:42 PM
One thing I've been wondering is where the display name for the objects is stored. I've randomly checked the loot_Bonsai_Shape_twigs reward gardenTwigsGEN_01. Neither the 0xC0DB5AE7 nor the object tuning linked in it nor the 0x319E4F1D seem to contain the display name hash, which I suspect is 0xDEDC16DE: Bunch of Twigs. Do you happen to know where this might be stored?

It's in the COBJ file (0x319E4F1D). The 4 bytes starting at 08 are the STBL ID of the name, and the following 4 bytes starting at 0C are the STBL ID of the description. Little endian both.
(Incidentally, that one is simply called "Twigs", 0xD38A22E5. Might be what threw you off.)

velocitygrass
26th Oct 2014, 8:53 PM
Ah, yes, I must have missed that. Thank you.

I've tested support for extracting the name and description of all objects (where available) as a first step. My test was semi-successful. I implemented it so that if finding a related tuning fails for decimal values, it will look up the object. It did exactly that, but actually looking into the files in more detail, it reveals how flawed that approach was and is with normal numbers with a comment for the object, objects with a comment for an unrelated tuning...

The only way to properly handle these references would be to look up information based on the type of the reference which can be found in the tdesc files, but that would add a whole other level of complexity...

I can still add the functionality as it works so far as a "better than nothing" solution for now. I should be able to release that (and the STBL fix) within the next few days.

ETA: @DarkWalker: I've uploaded the new version now. After looking at the changes the object references can be narrowed down quite well with only a handful of keywords to look for (including the "reward" that you mentioned). It's still not perfect, but it should be a definite improvement over how it was. The retrieval of the objects takes relatively long, so I'll probably change that to doing it on demand, but I wanted to get this version out for now. Thanks again for the bug report and suggestion and help with the game object info.

Vertisea
6th Nov 2014, 1:54 PM
Probably not the right place for this, but when I tried to run the Sims4XMLExtractor.exe it tells me Qt5Core.dll is missing. I'm guessing I need to install Qt?
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to actually making mods for The Sims 4, and just get redirected to this page on every basic tutorial. Because XML extraction. :rolleyes:

DarkWalker
6th Nov 2014, 6:55 PM
Probably not the right place for this, but when I tried to run the Sims4XMLExtractor.exe it tells me Qt5Core.dll is missing. I'm guessing I need to install Qt?
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to actually making mods for The Sims 4, and just get redirected to this page on every basic tutorial. Because XML extraction. :rolleyes:

You likely downloaded the update archive. Download instead the full one, currently Sims4XmlExtractor0006.7z . It's the one a bit larger than 6MB.

graycurse
26th Jan 2015, 5:58 PM
Thanks for making this! I've found it to be super useful. I do seem to be having a problem when attempting to extract Outdoor Retreat XML files, though. Do we still extract /Data/Simulation/SimulationDeltaBuild0.package in order to access the OR-specific XML files?

EDIT: I loaded up the source for this project, and the tool was failing to extract from GP01/SimulationFullBuild0.package. I edited the source to add only_match_type = true when calling p.extractResource, and the new XML files were extracted successfully.

Shimrod101
26th Jan 2015, 7:38 PM
When you install OR, you will find a new folder called GP01. In there is a file called SimulationFullBuild0 which has the OR combined XML file. This thread is useful to read concerning the OR tuning file:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=545916

graycurse
26th Jan 2015, 8:04 PM
Thanks @Shimrod101! I actually had tried that, but the tool would say "Export Finished" without doing anything when pointing to the new file. I updated my previous comment with a note about how I got around this.

KeyEnPeyDee
20th Feb 2015, 10:54 AM
:new: 2014-10-29: v0.0.0.6: Fixed STBL refs not being used when they had missing leading zeros. Added support for object info (see FAQ for info on implementation). Thanks DarkWalker!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.5: Fixed tuning package file filter to actually be SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, not ...FullBuild.... Thanks plasticbox!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.4: The combined tuning can now be read from the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package directly and the tool will optionally add comments with the name of reference or the text of a STBL ID.
2014-09-22: v0.0.0.3: Completely rewrote the parser with classes that should preserve the attribute order. It also speeds up the initialization and lowers memory consumption. Indentation for non-compact xmls is now 2 spaces.
2014-09-14: v0.0.0.2: fixed the module resource type (it's 0x03B33DDF, which I verified with two sample mods that change the starting funds and the starting day and time) and added {instance#} to the naming patterns (for decimal instance).

This tool resolves the references of the combined tuning xml and extracts the instance and module tunings in individual xml files.

Please let me know about errors so that I can fix them.

Source code is GPL3 and attached.

http://i.imgur.com/fRyKW0k.png

How to install
- Use 7zip to unpack the folder/file. For the update version extract that into your existing Sims4XmlExtractor folder.

How to start
- Just click the Sims4XmlExtractor.exe

How to use

You need to give the tool the path to the previously exported combined tuning resource 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package which contains it.
- Click "Browse" to select the resource or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package
- You can also simply paste the path to the file in the line edit (this option doesn't remember the path)
Select an export folder for the files by browsing or pasting it. The folder must exist.
Select a naming pattern for the exported files. I have convenience buttons for S4PE compatible format and the EA unpacked mod naming pattern, but you can create your own naming pattern by using one of the following placeholders:
- {instance}, {group}, {type}: lowercase hex without leading 0x
- {INSTANCE}, {GROUP}, {TYPE}: uppercase hex without leading 0x
- {instance#}: decimal instance
- {name}: the name of the resource, e.g. trait_EternalBond
There's a preview of what the filename will look like. Please ensure that your combination results in unique file names. If a file already exists, it will simply not be written.
Check or uncheck creation of subfolders. If checked the tool will group the xml files the way they are grouped in the combined tuning (tag R), e.g. in "action" or "trait" subfolders.
Check or uncheck if all whitespace and line breaks should be removed. This is recommended for distribution by EA, but for browsing the files leaving them in can make them more readable.
Check or uncheck if names of reference targets should be put in comments after the target, e.g. <L n="objectives"><T>24715</T></L> becomes <L n="objectives"><T>24715<!--Max_Astronaut--></T></L>
:!: Please note that I do not check if the value is actually a reference or just a normal number. E.g. it is possible that a setting has an integer value of "24715" and the <!--Max_Astronaut--> would still be added even though it's not meant as a reference to that objective.
Optionally add the path to an exported STBL file or a package that contains one. If this is done and the option to print reference names in comments is selected, the tool will read the STBL file (or the first it finds in the given package) and use that to resolve all hexadecimal references and print the string in comments, e.g.<T n="descriptive_text">0x8F1F5015<!--"Have a Sim reach max level in the Astronaut career."--></T>
Click "Export" to start the export

FAQ

Where do I find SimulationDeltaBuild0.package or this resource?
- The combined tuning resource has the type 0x62E94D38, the group 0x00000000, and the instance 0xF1352E740C4710BA and can be found in the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and the unpatched old version in the SimulationFullBuild0.package). You can use S4PE to extract the file from the package.
- SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and SimulationFullBuild0.package) can be found the Data/Simulation subfolder of the Sims 4 installation.
What do I do with the xmls?
- That depends entirely on your goal.
- They can serve as a way to look up information, e.g. how much will career X earn at level Y.
- They can serve as a base to modify tuning settings. E.g. you can change how much a sim will earn from a career at a certain level. Please be aware however that many tunings that have a rendering component (where something will be displayed on screen) will require to make the same changes in the accompanying DATA file (see my other tool for making changes to that). Also note that the .tdesc files available in the EA modding documentation include additional information and tuning settings (like the defaults which might never appear in the extracted tunings because they're not overridden). Thanks to plasticbox for pointing this out in this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=533960).
- Plasticbox has posted a XML Tuning How-To here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537976).
- For discussion about package files vs unpackedmod, please check this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=534704). EA has fixed the issue with tuning in packages.
- For helpful hints on handling loose tuning files check DarkWalker's tutorial Making better use of the unpackedmod folder (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535393).
Why all the naming pattern options?
- The two ways to work with the tuning files right now are putting them in a package file or placing them directly in the unpackedmod folder (as per SimGuruModSquad's workaround for current limitations).
- The unpackedmod requires a special naming pattern to work (e.g. 0x00000000!0x0000000000006cb6.0x7df2169c)
- If you use S4PE to import your resources, a different naming pattern will allow you to import from file without making any further changes (i.e. having to type in manually the IDs).
- For a normal human just seeing the TGI combination will not be enough to make them identify the actual content of the file, so I added an option to include the name in file so that you can scroll through them and find what you're looking for (or just see what's there) without having to open each file or search.
- The decimal instance option was added because this is how the references are done in the xml and the upper and lower case are purely for esthetics.
How do I get the STBL?
- It's the resource of type 0x220557DA in Strings_[language code].package (e.g. Strings_ENG_US.package), which can be found in the Data/Client subfolder of the Sims 4 installation. It can be exported e.g. with S4PE.
How does the object info work?
- For the object info to be retrieved you'll need to use the package option for the combined tuning and have it point to SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package. The tool then assumes the installation structure so that it looks for ClientDeltaBuild0.package in a "Client" folder next to the "Simulation" folder of the SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package.
- It then retrieves info from all COBJ files for later use (TODO: do this as needed which should be faster)
- In the xml it looks for certain n attributes in tags that indicate the next decimal is an object and not a tuning. Specifically it looks for: "reward", "target_game_object", "items_to_check", "actual_object", "definition".
- The tool ignores this in the case of situation and aspiration_track tunings, where the reward is actually a tuning.

Credit: Thanks to the S4PE team, the EA devs who created the doc, the FNV site (http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/fnv/index.html), TheHologramMan for unpyc3.py, which I used to decompile the python files, which enabled me to find the module resource type, DarkWalker for info on where to find object name and description.

Cannot find xmlextractor.exe. Please help

niskander
5th Mar 2015, 9:11 PM
Is there an alternative for this for Mac?

~MadameButterfly~
26th Mar 2015, 7:27 PM
@velocitygrass: For some reason, the tool isn't working for me with today's patch. It just continuously says "export finished". I am not sure if I am losing my mind or what, but I wanted to check and see if it was just me.

Zerbu
26th Mar 2015, 7:50 PM
With the newest patch, the combined file has been made into its own binary format instead of just a regular XML file. I really hope a tool maker figures out how to decrypt it, because otherwise the modding community could be in a lot of trouble.

~MadameButterfly~
26th Mar 2015, 8:04 PM
Thank-you Zerbu! And, ugh!

Dreadmage23
26th Mar 2015, 11:27 PM
Hmmm Today is the day I decided to try this out and I thought I was doing something wrong. The file I got out of the S4PE is a bnry, is that the right file to extract the XML from?

Shimrod101
26th Mar 2015, 11:52 PM
Yes, the file has always been listed as bnry by s4pe, but the file format has been changed as stated above, so the Extractor doesn't read it now.

Nukael
26th Mar 2015, 11:56 PM
Why, EA, why? I thought they would be more mod friendly this time around!

plasticbox
27th Mar 2015, 12:18 AM
I'm having a moderate amount of success with exporting it and reading it back in as DATA (probably C+P and changing the type would work the same). s4pe 0.3b previews the field contents but doesn't open them in Grid view. Didin't try with other versions.

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 1:30 AM
@velocitygrass: For some reason, the tool isn't working for me with today's patch. It just continuously says "export finished". I am not sure if I am losing my mind or what, but I wanted to check and see if it was just me.

I was having the same problem when I had the path set to SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, but then I did it the other way and extracted the resource instead and it worked. I have all of todays new patch xmls and was able to update my outdated personal mods.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 1:33 AM
Unfortunately, that's not the issue. (I wish it were.) They changed the file type of the resource.

Nukael
27th Mar 2015, 7:56 AM
So we are able to get the new patch xmls? But the problem is getting them back in a package file in a way that the game understands?
Or am I understanding incorrectly? (Sorry, I haven't had the chance yet to patch).

JustAnotherSimsFan
27th Mar 2015, 8:57 AM
No unfortunately we're not able to because Sims4XmlExtractor can't read the file in SimulationDeltaBuild0.package that contains the tuning information.

Nukael
27th Mar 2015, 10:53 AM
Hmm, then I'm confused about ScarletQueenCat's reply. It sounds like they got it to work, or was this an older patch?

Fogity
27th Mar 2015, 11:21 AM
I do not have much time to try things out myself, but I have learnt that the combined tuning now is a simdata file (but a newer version). Have anyone tried opening it with the DataTool?

Shimrod101
27th Mar 2015, 12:46 PM
I tried the Data Tool now but it doesn't work for me. I renamed the file to a .data file to get the Data Tool to recognize the file and attempt to open it, but the mouse cursor goes round and round while the program says (not responding) at the top.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 12:56 PM
Me too, actually, and I got the DATA tool to work just yesterday. Now I can't get it to work at all.

JustAnotherSimsFan
27th Mar 2015, 3:51 PM
Hmm, then I'm confused about ScarletQueenCat's reply. It sounds like they got it to work, or was this an older patch?

I've no idea, i too wondered what ScarletQueenKat meant.

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 4:15 PM

I did, that's why it's kind of confusing to me why it's not working for anyone :/ I find it just as odd as everyone else lol. I have the latest version of s4pe. I extracted the file yesterday after I updated to yesterday's basement patch. At first it didn't work it right away said the export was finished but with nothing there, I had the path set to SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, so I figured I'd try it the other way. I updated a maid and an aging mod that I created for myself and everything has been working as it's supposed to. I checked the mods I downloaded from the community by doing a XML compare on them, a few were ok but most needed updated.

I can attach my files if anyone wants them.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 4:18 PM
I took it to mean that ScarletQueenKat thought I was confused on how to extract the resource file from the Delta build, which I have been doing just fine up until this patch. But if ScarletQueenKat was successful with this file in the latest patch, then we need screenshots to help clarify.

(Ninja'd...But I would prefer screenshots instead of files. )

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 4:31 PM
I took it to mean that ScarletQueenKat thought I was confused on how to extract the resource file from the Delta build, which I have been doing just fine up until this patch. But if ScarletQueenKat was successful with this file in the latest patch, then we need screenshots to help clarify.

(Ninja'd...But I would prefer screenshots instead of files. )

No, I didn't think that at all. I thought maybe you were running into the same problem as I was at first so I figured I'd try to help instead of just staying quiet about it. I'll be happy to give you screenshots, just tell me what you want screenshots of.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 4:40 PM
Just the steps you took so I can follow along. It's not registering in my head. Thanks! :)

scumbumbo
27th Mar 2015, 4:40 PM
I do not have much time to try things out myself, but I have learnt that the combined tuning now is a simdata file (but a newer version). Have anyone tried opening it with the DataTool?I opened it up with the 010 Editor using the simdata binary template in the Custom Content Guide. It was able to see a lot of the structure of the file and it contains some new schemas, but you wouldn't be able to use it for anything other than researching how to write a program for extraction. It appears they are packing the XML now in a simplistic (not meaning it will be simple to extract necessarily) way. There's a bunch of tables in there, the last one contains what appears to be one copy of all the XML strings (null terminated), so just as a guess the other tables probably contain just offsets to that table of strings. It should be possible for some dedicated and organized soul to painstakingly wade through it all and probably get the stuff out. I think the schema info in the file should hold the keys to pull it all together... maybe...

Not much help, I know... sorry.

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 4:52 PM
I can confirm that Scarletqueenkat's method of extracting the new patch's XMLs does seem to work. You can test it yourself by opening SimulationDeltaBuild01.package in S4pe, searching for 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA, extracting it as a file and pointing XML Extractor to it.

This yields a folder full of XMLs. I haven't yet attempted to use them to update my mods, but they do appear to belong to the new patch. I decided to attach what I extracted in the hope that people more knowledgeable than me can verify them.

Nukael
27th Mar 2015, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the files and the steps needed to get them! After quickly comparing an old XML from one of my mods with the same XML from your zip it seems that the newly extracted XML's are indeed the tuning XML's from the new patch.

REJOICIFY!

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 5:23 PM
I can confirm that Scarletqueenkat's method of extracting the new patch's XMLs does seem to work. You can test it yourself by opening SimulationDeltaBuild01.package in S4pe, searching for 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA, extracting it as a file and pointing XML Extractor to it.

This yields a folder full of XMLs. I haven't yet attempted to use them to update my mods, but they do appear to belong to the new patch. I decided to attach what I extracted in the hope that people more knowledgeable than me can verify them.

When you typed SimulationDeltaBuild01.package, did you really mean to type: SimulationDeltaBuild0.package? (One of the thoughts I have had is whether or not Origin downloaded things oddly to my machine, like perhaps some different version or something.)

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 5:24 PM
Excellent. If that's the case, I'll begin updating and testing my mods immediately.

@MadameButterfly: Yes, that's the one. My mistake. You can just use the XMLs I uploaded though, if you'd like to avoid the hassle of extracting the resource.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 5:27 PM
It's just that I want to be sure I can do it myself. I don't want to have to depend on others to extract it for me in the future. (I tend to be in a hurry when it comes to updating.)

(Also, I want to know why Scumbumbo, myself, and others are seeing a different format altogether. I need to know what is going on here.)

Edit: This is what my folder looked like yesterday (where I gather my files). The Delta Build was taken from the Data>Simulation folder. The resource is smaller than what it has been in the past.:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fIr2imzY734/VRWGQKjFS0I/AAAAAAAABPM/LiE8gq-I4MU/w855-h123-no/6bbb67fd6cf2827c7f87215dbb6c6dc4.png

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 5:35 PM
It seems as if the SimulationDeltaBuild file itself is in a new format, meaning the existing tools can't read it. The XMLs themselves and the resource containing them, once extracted, are the same. They're merely packaged differently, and as such a workaround is required to extract them.

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 5:43 PM
Just the steps you took so I can follow along. It's not registering in my head. Thanks! :)

I see Dark Gaia confirmed as well, thank you! Now I know I'm not crazy lol. Sorry it took so long but RL called. I took screen by screen process of my steps for you in case you still want them. Along with the comparison in winmerge for the maid resource file.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 5:48 PM
Your pictures shows that you selected the FullBuild and not the DeltaBuild. The FullBuild is the old file (see the creation date).

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 5:55 PM
Your pictures shows that you selected the FullBuild and not the DeltaBuild. The FullBuild is the old file (see the creation date).

Aha you're right, that explains it then I got the two confused. Just tried with the DeltaBuild and its not working. That's another reason I said something, to also figure out if I was doing something wrong. Thanks!

Sorry for all the confusion over my silly mistake

Nukael
27th Mar 2015, 6:16 PM
Dark Gaia, can you confirm whether the extraction you posted was from Clientfullbuild or DeltaBuild? Because comparing XML's it seemed there were different entries (and new entries) in the XML's that I downloaded from your post in comparison to the ones I was using. I'd try it myself, but I don't want to patch yet. I like my game with my mods. :D

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 6:23 PM
I can confirm that they are from the DeltaBuildPackage. I followed the instructions on the first post of this thread which explain how to extract the combined tuning resource. Something must be off though, as I've patched my game to test the updated version of my aging mods (with a backup ready in case I need to rollback) and it isn't working :(

If you'd like to test though, there is a way to roll back to a previous patch level after updating. All you have to do is go to your Sims 4 installation directory, copy the Data, Delta and Game folders to a safe location, and then restore them when you want to roll back. This is how I've been testing my mods.

EDIT: It's of my opinion that the XMLs I extracted are the new ones, but they don't work in mods for some reason. I'm guessing the problem is that S4pe isn't replicating the new structure of the combined tuning resource when it exports them as packages, and thus the game can't read them.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 6:38 PM
When I compared a few of your files in WinMerge, Dark Gaia, they were formated differently. It was like they went through some sort of processing. I was trying to compare them with the older build files. (I have all of them up till now.) I did a small test with the very originals (which was quite different) and with the patch before this one. The few files I compared with those were the same, but yeah, heavily formated. I didn't see anything new yet, but I have hundreds of files to choose from.

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 6:43 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I used the same (default) settings in XML Extractor that I usually do, so the difference in formatting may be related to the new structure. That said, it's as if the game isn't reading them at all. Rather than causing glitches or any other strange behaviours, the few mods I've tested act like they aren't even in the game at all.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 6:46 PM
Well, I've never had a problem with formatting with mods. Some of us here use more formatting than others. I don't, because it is easier for me to check the files with the originals I have. But I have opened up mods from others and noticed the formating styles.

Nukael
27th Mar 2015, 6:52 PM
SimGuruModSquad has confirmed that the game should normally still be able to recognize XML mods, normally even when they're extracted from the new resource type:
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13463521/#Comment_13463521

Isn't the formatting an option in the XML extraction? I seem to remember you can opt to leave in the whitespace or not... I leave it in as it's easier to read. And Notepad++ does an excellent job of comparing XML's that way.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 6:54 PM
Thank-you! Copy & pasting it here, because their site bugs my eyes.

SimGuruModSquad:
Hey!

The change to combined tuning was purely an optimization change. More efficient to load binary data than raw XML.

Answers:

1) XML will still work. The runtime supports loading of both formats. So tuning mods should not be affected by this change, unless the mods are broken due to other functional changes we have made.

2) Simdata.bt. Will work on that. Note that we bumped to version 0x101 back on the careers patch and it was a pretty minor change.

3) CAS Part .bt. Will work on that, not sure what we did there off the top of my head.

4) tdescs coming soon. I will also look into providing you the new combined tuning file in the old XML format.

Will get #4 to you as soon as I can. I had been meaning to get something out to you yesterday, but was a hectic day. Also, for the record we do consider modders when we make these kinds of changes but sometimes we have no choice but to make drastic changes. Appreciate your guys' patience.

-SGMS

Isn't the formatting an option in the XML extraction? I seem to remember you can opt to leave in the whitespace or not... I leave it in as it's easier to read. And Notepad++ does an excellent job of comparing XML's that way.

I probably never noticed it. It wouldn't be the first time. :)

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 6:57 PM
My apologies for the confusion. I was so sure I had extracted the files from the DeltaBuild package, but I decided to re-extract the resource just now to see if perhaps a fresh XML would work, and now I can't extract anything at all. I decided to look into this, and it seems that I extracted those XMLs while my game was rolled back to the previous patch level -- they're actually the same XMLs from the March 10 patch.

To make sure, I updated my game and tried it again - no dice this time. At least this does confirm what everyone else has observed, that the combined resource itself is in a new, unreadable format.

EDIT: One thing I have confirmed though, is that mods using an XML that has not been changed in the patch will still work, even with the new format in place, so SimGuruModSquad is correct.

~MadameButterfly~
27th Mar 2015, 6:59 PM
Thanks for letting us know! And it's okay...we are all in this together, you know?

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 7:04 PM
Hopefully SimGuruModSquad will come through with that tuning resource in XML format. I'll just roll back my game and play that for a few days until we know more -- I just can't bear to destroy my legacy by playing without an updated No Culling mod.

MsPhy
27th Mar 2015, 7:37 PM
Hopefully SimGuruModSquad will come through with that tuning resource in XML format. I'll just roll back my game and play that for a few days until we know more -- I just can't bear to destroy my legacy by playing without an updated No Culling mod.

I've been following the conversation here in hopes of good news regarding all the wonderful mods you and others make. My question is totally off-topic, but I'm hoping you'll respond. How do you roll back to a pre-patch version of the game? I have not patched yet, for fear of losing my legacy, but I know there are other folks who would just love to roll back to the previous version. It is an often-asked question at the TS4 forum. Is this info you could share with me, so I could share with others?

Dark Gaia
27th Mar 2015, 7:49 PM
All you have to do is copy your Sims 4 installation directory (Program Files/Origin Games/The Sims 4) to an external location before updating. If you want to roll back, just delete your installation and copy the old one back again. This is what works for me.

scarletqueenkat
27th Mar 2015, 8:00 PM

He posted (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource) them just now. :)

claudiasharon
27th Mar 2015, 8:39 PM
So what he posted, can I use that to update my mod then? How does one open the files he shared? (The ones in the zip that is.)

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.

Reptonplay
28th Mar 2015, 10:30 PM
Sims4XmlExtractor will not let me extract this file SimulationDeltaBuild0 after the march 26 patch for Sims 4

plasticbox
28th Mar 2015, 11:00 PM
Reptonplay, did you try reading the thread?

egureh
29th Mar 2015, 1:00 AM
We got the combined XMLs for 1.5.139 but still have GP01 to go, and three days later we'll have EP01 as well.
Now I can do nothing with S4_62E94D38_00000002_F10287740C1C4EB0%%+UNKN.bnry... _(:3JL)_

Reptonplay
29th Mar 2015, 6:28 PM
I have copy SimulationFullBuild0 to another folder and rename it to SimulationDeltaBuild0 and the Sims4XmlExtractor will extract It I have just try it and it work will this be a help to you?

Shimrod101
30th Mar 2015, 12:54 AM
I have copy SimulationFullBuild0 to another folder and rename it to SimulationDeltaBuild0 and the Sims4XmlExtractor will extract It I have just try it and it work will this be a help to you?

The FullBuild file is from the original basegame in September, so no one needs the Combined XML file from then; everyone already has it. The DeltaBuild files have newer, current files for the current patch. It's linked up above to the file from SGModSquad with the March 26th Combined XML file, so anyone who wants it can simply download from there.

plasticbox
30th Mar 2015, 1:49 AM
They've uploaded the GP tuning too meanwhile; link is in the sticky in Modding Discussion.

~MadameButterfly~
2nd Apr 2015, 4:14 PM
I extracted the new EP files, but I am noticing a lot of extra characters that didn't extract well.

Here is an example:

<L n="supported_posture_type_filter">
<U> n=&quot;participant_type&quot; n=&quot;posture_type&quot;</U>
<U> n=&quot;participant_type&quot; n=&quot;posture_type&quot;</U>
</L>

I've run it through the extractor 3 times already, both with and without white spaces removed. (I have seen n=&quot; before, but I forgot what it represents. It's been a while.)

plasticbox
2nd Apr 2015, 4:20 PM
&quot; is just a quotation mark. Mostly Harmless =).

~MadameButterfly~
2nd Apr 2015, 4:51 PM
Thanks! I knew it was something super easy, but I could not remember what.

Edit: You know what, it's not just quote marks that are missing but actual numbers.

On one file here is a chunk of code that has missing information:

<U n="skill_test">
<T n="skill">111902</T>
<V t="interval" n="skill_range">
<U n="interval">
<U n="skill_interval"> n=&quot;lower_bound&quot; n=&quot;upper_bound&quot;</U>
</U>
</V>
</U>

On that same file, here is a chunk of code that is complete:

<U n="skill_test">
<T n="skill">111902</T>
<V t="interval" n="skill_range">
<U n="interval">
<U n="skill_interval">
<T n="lower_bound">4</T>
<T n="upper_bound">4</T>
</U>
</U>
</V>
</U>

egureh
2nd Apr 2015, 6:10 PM
MadameButterfly, I ran into a same problem with you, thanks for the example. :D

~MadameButterfly~
2nd Apr 2015, 6:11 PM
Hopefully they will send one that works soon. I know they can do it, because the Base Game file and the Outdoor Retreat file worked just fine.

Edit: While waiting for the new file, I just had a purely random coincidence. I found this quote on my twitter feed, exactly like this:

Chuck Norris does not &quot;style&quot; his hair. It lays perfectly in place out of sheer terror.

The universe mocks me.

claudiasharon
2nd Apr 2015, 8:40 PM
Hmm this could be the reason a mod I made for the EP didn't work right! I'm having the same issue.

~MadameButterfly~
2nd Apr 2015, 9:17 PM
Yep! The first mod I tried caused the interaction interface to totally disappear, and all I changed were a couple of numbers. (o-O)

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 5:52 AM
Hi!

I am little new in modding, well, I could make simple XML modification in The Sims 3 because it was pretty simple, but I'm a little confused here. So if somebody could help me I would be very thankful.

1) How can I extract The Sims Get To Work files?

I've been trying so hard to understand but extracting the 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA resource with s4pe doesn't work.

2) How can I know what is on the XML files?

I just see codes, and codes, and codes but I can see there's a way to understand it in a simpler way. I've read about the morgade tool and I can understand everything, it's simple, however, I don't have the Get To Work XML files so I can make the modification I want.

And if you want to know what I want to do, it's just to modify one Retail Perk, "Sure Sale" interaction , I don't want it to make my sims wait for 4 hours to use it again. ^^ I've worked so hard to collect the points you need to get it hahaha

Please, as you can see, I've been searching a lot but I can end to understand. I repeat, I would be really thankful if you help me.

plasticbox
5th Apr 2015, 6:25 AM
Maxis have posted the Get To Work tuning as XML. See the sticky in Modding Discussion.

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 6:35 AM
Sorry, I've just seen it u.u

Now, I have one more question, How can I know the file I need to look for?

I know you're not now on the code and that's my work, but I can't find the file I need to modify. It's a simple modification, it comes from a perk but I can't find something related with the Sims 4 Tuning Tool.

claudiasharon
5th Apr 2015, 6:59 AM
Sorry, I've just seen it u.u

Now, I have one more question, How can I know the file I need to look for?

I know you're not now on the code and that's my work, but I can't find the file I need to modify. It's a simple modification, it comes from a perk but I can't find something related with the Sims 4 Tuning Tool.

Which tuning tool are you using? If it's Zerbu's Mod Manager, it's doesn't have all the folders available to select in the program so you have to go through each folder manually to search for some stuff.

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 7:09 AM
Thank you, well I was using that tool, I've found I can use the windows browser eventually.

But writing "Sure Sale",it looks for 4 results.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/Marquillotuca89/Sin%20tiacutetulo_zpsdihrgqpi.png

The last two don't work for anything, at least, for the goal I want to achieve.

1) The first one is "a social mixer interaction" XML, in one line it writes: "Lock_out_time" and in the next line: "n=enabled"> n=quot;interval;quot", I guess I can replace that but I don't know how.

2) In the second XML file it writes: n="enabled"> n=&quot;max_duration&quot;</U> and before it it says: Temporary_commodity_info"

Soooo, I guess here is just lack of experience. :cry:

claudiasharon
5th Apr 2015, 9:32 AM
1+2) If you scroll up to post 104 you'll see them talking about the &quot; thing, so you might have to wait and see if the gurus update the files or if they are okay as is (still haven't heard any word on this yet!).

~MadameButterfly~
5th Apr 2015, 11:56 AM
They have not sent an updated version of the GTW file as of yet. I keep checking this page, but there are no updates: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource/p1

The GTW files are not fit for use in their current state. Changing the &quot; to actual quotes will not give you the remainder of what is missing.

Shimrod101
5th Apr 2015, 3:01 PM
1) The first one is "a social mixer interaction" XML, in one line it writes: "Lock_out_time" and in the next line: "n=enabled"> n=quot;interval;quot", I guess I can replace that but I don't know how.

There is no point in attempting to mod anything whatsoever with the GTW XML files as MadameButterfly has stated; it simply can't be done correctly if they aren't extracting correctly.

I will also comment that there is no proof at this precise instant of my writing, that there's anything wrong with ModSquad's file; maybe the Extractor tool won't extract it correctly.

If the text were written correctly in an extracted XML and you want to remove the Lock Out Time, simply delete the entire section which reads like this:

<V t="enabled" n="lock_out_time">
<U n="enabled">
<U n="interval">
<T n="lower_bound">1440</T>
<T n="upper_bound">1440</T>
</U>
<T n="target_based_lock_out">True</T>
</U>
</V>

Probably the section which would be called Front Page Cooldown should also be deleted, if it's in that XML file.

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 3:54 PM
OMG, thank you so much guys, as I said, lack of experience. I didn't know that was wrong, I mean, I've only made 1 XML fot this Sims hahahah, I'm a little lost here. You're helping me a lot. Thank you again.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/Marquillotuca89/Sin%20tiacutetulo2_zpsnl8i3sgi.png

That's a screenshot.

I thought it could be like in The Sims 3, where you just erase that part of the code, but I wasn't sure. I'm going to try it and then I will bring a report of my results.I guess you can actually mod in this way as Shimrod says, I eliminated some lines and the interaction disappears, so those are the corrects lines.

~MadameButterfly~
5th Apr 2015, 4:09 PM
I will also comment that there is no proof at this precise instant of my writing, that there's anything wrong with ModSquad's file; maybe the Extractor tool won't extract it correctly.

This is the part that I am really afraid of...that our tool that we rely on is now outdated. But I want be sure, so I asked for them to try again.

(I would also like to say that trying to use the DATA tool to open up the original file from the build does not work for me. I know it has been mentioned. It just crashes the DATA app on my pc.)

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 4:13 PM
^ Same here.

And it didn't work, the interaction just disappears. u.u

Edit: It seems like SimGuru isn't noticed about the problems we are having, according to him, everything's ok with the file he uploaded... guess the extractor is outdated. :cry:

claudiasharon
5th Apr 2015, 5:14 PM
Yeah this sucks, I hope this tool gets updated soon, or at least someone else makes one. My sims need more mods! Lol.

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 5:17 PM
I need to modify thay perk u.u

I feel like EA slapped me in my whole face adding that "block" xDDD

Edit: One user said the file posted by the SimGuru is ok, the quot thing doesn't appear in there. So, I guess it's a XML Extractor Tool mistake. Whereby maybe we'll have to wait for an update.

~MadameButterfly~
5th Apr 2015, 7:44 PM
Yes. I'm afraid that this is what it comes down to...the tool has to be updated. I just didn't want it to be true. I was happy in my denial for a few days, at least. :D

Marquillotuca89
5th Apr 2015, 7:51 PM
Put your hands together and call Velocitygrass haha, we need you!

Hope he can fix it and it isn't something hard to do.

Nukael
6th Apr 2015, 7:32 AM
Velocitygrass' last post was from November, though. And he hasn't logged in since March (took a gander at his profile). So I don't think there's a big chance he'll be working on this tool.

~MadameButterfly~
6th Apr 2015, 11:56 AM
Velocitygrass' last post was from November, though. And he hasn't logged in since March (took a gander at his profile). So I don't think there's a big chance he'll be working on this tool.

This is what caused me to freak out internally. I stalked up that page too. However, Fogity has agreed to make something work if this tool has been abandoned. We just have to give a shout.

azoresman
6th Apr 2015, 1:17 PM
I haven't had any issues

~MadameButterfly~
6th Apr 2015, 1:21 PM
With GTW? It is just a GTW issue at this time. The tuning files for it are not extracting completely.

Nukael
6th Apr 2015, 2:22 PM
I can confirm that if you fix the #quote stuff to be proper code, the mod is loaded fine. I made edits to Sim templates from GTW and as far as I can tell, these mods are working (i haven't done extensive testing, though). I did have to replace bad code in one XML (the others extracted fine). The problem is of course, is that we don't know the original values of the things we would be modding. I was lucky that with the Sim template it was just some skill randomization, so it didn't really matter. I copied that particular code from a properly extracted Sim template from the basegame.

~MadameButterfly~
6th Apr 2015, 4:03 PM
The file I wanted to mod had missing numbers, so I have no idea what went there. It is really hit and miss.

plasticbox
6th Apr 2015, 4:22 PM
The posted a binary template for the new tuning format yesterday, in case that helps anyone: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/826671/binary-tuning-sim-data-resource-0x545ac67a-and-0x62e94d38

Dorsal Axe
6th Apr 2015, 5:19 PM
Weirdly, the EP01 XMLs appear to have been extracted successfully on my PC with the velocitygrass tool. Values, quotation marks and all. So maybe it's not just the tool causing the issue?

claudiasharon
6th Apr 2015, 5:29 PM
@Dorsal Axe, how did you extract them, what file did you use to get them to extract right?

Dorsal Axe
6th Apr 2015, 6:40 PM
I used the EP01 file supplied by SimGuruModSquad, but I don't recall doing anything different to the usual extraction process other than directing the output to its own subfolder (which I can't imagine would affect anything).

claudiasharon
6th Apr 2015, 8:10 PM
Hmm interesting, I've done the same thing and still have issues with the coding. Would you be willing to share the xmls? I'd really like to make a couple of mods but it's hard to when the files come out jumbled.

Fogity
6th Apr 2015, 11:21 PM
I took a swing at writing some code to extract tuning from the combined tuning. I think I got it right, but I haven't done much tuning modding myself, so I might have overlooked something. Therefore I leave it to you to check my work, which I think is a fair trade.

Here is the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6618468/TS4Stuff/Fogity_Extracted_Tuning.zip

JustAnotherSimsFan
6th Apr 2015, 11:22 PM
Do all the files come out jumbled claudiasharon? Can you give me the instance or name of a file that's jumbled for you because i'm not seeing any problems with my files either but want to check.

~MadameButterfly~
7th Apr 2015, 12:08 AM
I took a swing at writing some code to extract tuning from the combined tuning. I think I got it right, but I haven't done much tuning modding myself, so I might have overlooked something. Therefore I leave it to you to check my work, which I think is a fair trade.

Here is the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6618468/TS4Stuff/Fogity_Extracted_Tuning.zip

Thanks Fogity!! The file I was originally trying to mod was missing quite a few lines. So crazy!

As for the extractor, I'm on Windows 7. Would it make a difference on other machines if they were on Windows 8? I don't understand why it is behaving differently for some.

Edit: You know what, though? That file isn't working. I only changed one number...I changed something from 25 minutes to 23 minutes, a little meaningless change just to test it. When my sims tries to do that interaction, I get a Llama picture in the queue, and then it vanishes. I am going to try to pull everything out, and test it by itself.

Edit 2: Pulling everything but this test mod didn't work either. Still getting the Llama and dropped queue.

claudiasharon
7th Apr 2015, 1:19 AM
I'm on Windows 8 so I don't think that's it....

Marquillotuca89
7th Apr 2015, 2:16 AM

OMG

Thank you so much. I'm going to try to do something with this tuning files and I'm going to check if everything goes well. Let me see if I have the same problems that MadameButterfly has.

Edit: Seems like I didn't do something xD

Interaction keep blocked. I'm about to quit and let this to the experienced modders. xD

claudiasharon
7th Apr 2015, 2:42 AM
Do all the files come out jumbled claudiasharon? Can you give me the instance or name of a file that's jumbled for you because i'm not seeing any problems with my files either but want to check.

Most of the ones from the EP seem to, yes. The base game xmls are fine. It's just the EP01 files that come out messed up. For instance, under interactions there's this one, 0x00000000000191CE, and that comes out with the space issue.

And they're not exactly jumbled, just missing a couple of lines of text.

Marquillotuca89
7th Apr 2015, 3:04 AM
Ok, I oficially quit until we have something new. xD

I've been trying in all the ways possible but anyone of them works, I don't if It's me the one who is making a mistake with naming or something.

azoresman
7th Apr 2015, 3:22 AM
What interaction exactly are we talking about and complete resource name please.

Edit: I see it here too.

<L n="basic_extras">
<V t="pregnancy">
<U n="pregnancy">
<E n="pregnancy_origin">ALIEN_ABDUCTION</E>
<V n="pregnancy_parent" t="from_filter">
<U n="from_filter">
<T n="filter">102918<!--filter_AlienPollinator-->
</T>
</U>
</V>
<U n="success_chance">
<L n="multipliers">
<U> n=&quot;multiplier&quot;<L n="tests">
<L>
<V t="sim_info">
<U n="sim_info"> n=&quot;gender&quot;</U>
</V>
</L>
<L>
<V t="test_set_reference">
<T n="test_set_reference">101697</T>

claudiasharon
7th Apr 2015, 3:40 AM
What interaction exactly are we talking about and complete resource name please.

alienAbduction_BeAbducted, S4_E882D22F_00000000_00000000000191CE.xml

See attached screenshots of my xml versus Fogity's. I'm not sure why Fogity's has all those spaces though.

I think I'll try to edit Fogity's xml and see what happens.

~MadameButterfly~
7th Apr 2015, 8:16 AM
Fogity's file just has the formating built in. You can see it okay in Notepad++.

claudiasharon
7th Apr 2015, 9:11 AM
Well I went and was able to create the mod I wanted! No more alien babies. Yay! It's working just fine now. :)

JustAnotherSimsFan
7th Apr 2015, 9:31 AM
Awesome! :)

I've checked my alien abduction file but unfortunately it's showing the same problem as azoresman posted. Now to try making a mod for GTW with the tuning files Fogity uploaded.

~MadameButterfly~
7th Apr 2015, 10:26 AM
If someone get's a tuning mod to work, give a shout. I think I'm having some rotten luck with GTW thus far. I need a victory to celebrate, even if it's not my own. :D

Edit: I missed Claudiasharon's post! (Woke up in the middle of the night, and groggy posted.) But Yay!! I guess I'll keep trying then.

Edit 2: I decided to approach my own problem from a different angle, and mod a different file...and that worked! So yay here, too!

egureh
7th Apr 2015, 2:31 PM
It works! I nearly burst into tears... Dear Fogity thank you SO much!

azoresman
7th Apr 2015, 7:19 PM
If someone get's a tuning mod to work, give a shout. I think I'm having some rotten luck with GTW thus far. I need a victory to celebrate, even if it's not my own. :D

Edit: I missed Claudiasharon's post! (Woke up in the middle of the night, and groggy posted.) But Yay!! I guess I'll keep trying then.

Edit 2: I decided to approach my own problem from a different angle, and mod a different file...and that worked! So yay here, too!

Hi Madame

I'm redoing my romance4all family fun from scratch and It seems to be working fine, but not yet complete cos its alot of files to mod.

~MadameButterfly~
7th Apr 2015, 8:08 PM
Oh good! And good luck with all the files! There can be a lot of them at times. :o)

Marquillotuca89
8th Apr 2015, 1:12 AM
Well, Fogity files work, I guess I will have to make a better effort hahaah

I'm gonna try so hard.

egureh
8th Apr 2015, 9:58 AM
I guess there're still issues with Fogity's extracted files. Some are working well but not all of them.
I'm working on a mod needs updating, it won't affect properly with the lasteast code shared by Fogity.
And another question: Can we rename the files with S4_{TYPE}_{GROUP}_{INSTANCE}.xml pattern in a batch?
I have a mod altered nearly 150 files... I would rather die if I have to rename them manually...

~MadameButterfly~
8th Apr 2015, 12:55 PM
I have only been renaming them as needed. So you ran into one that doesn't work, too? I thought maybe I just hit a fluke. The file I was trying to edit was the si_Retail_RingUpCustomer, and it was not being cooperative for anything. I haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure that if I put it in the game unedited, it still wouldn't work. I really don't know what is wrong with it. (Although, maybe that is one where I have to grab up the Data file as well. That's probably what I'll try next time.)

Fogity
8th Apr 2015, 1:59 PM
I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, an oversight on my part. I will upload fixed files later today.

I will not be able to provide a tool, so I will extract them on my computer.
But while I am at it, are there any other changes or features you would like to see me implement.

What naming patterns would you like and how would you like the files to be formatted?
I have implemented string and reference comments, do you want to have those in the files?
Other requests?

But I will not bother with it unless there is actually a demand (i.e. responses).

JustAnotherSimsFan
8th Apr 2015, 3:10 PM
I use a file search program so personally i'm not worried what the files are named, it's keeping the linebreaks and whitespace i find most useful. Just having files so we can mod GTW would be something Fogity :)

egureh
8th Apr 2015, 3:42 PM
What naming patterns would you like and how would you like the files to be formatted?
I have implemented string and reference comments, do you want to have those in the files?
That'll be great if files are named in S4_{TYPE}_{GROUP}_{INSTANCE}.xml pattern.
e.g. S4_B61DE6B4_00000003_000000000001B468.xml instead of object_Collectible_Crystal_crandestine.xml
For files format, I think keeping the linebreaks and whitespace is pretty enough. And thank you again! :D

~MadameButterfly~
8th Apr 2015, 4:08 PM
Thank-you so much for doing this for us, Fogity! I can easily search the files as well, so the naming system Egureh mentioned would be handy for easier import.

Fogity
8th Apr 2015, 6:38 PM
I have now, as far as I know, fixed the problem and the new extracted tunings can be found on my site here: https://fogity.wordpress.com/extracted-tuning/

Please give me feedback on the format etc.

Talisien
8th Apr 2015, 6:57 PM
I have now, as far as I know, fixed the problem and the new extracted tunings can be found on my site here: https://fogity.wordpress.com/extracted-tuning/

Please give me feedback on the format etc.

I'm unable to extract EP01 as an archive, however Base and GP01 work just fine.

Fogity
8th Apr 2015, 7:16 PM
I'm unable to extract EP01 as an archive, however Base and GP01 work just fine.

I just re-uploaded the EP01 archive, it should be working now. Please download it again.

Talisien
8th Apr 2015, 7:26 PM
I just re-uploaded the EP01 archive, it should be working now. Please download it again.

Yep, works now. Thank you :)

JustAnotherSimsFan
8th Apr 2015, 8:36 PM
Thank you for the files Fogity, much appreciated :)

Marquillotuca89
9th Apr 2015, 1:12 AM
Thank you Fogity, I hope that solves my problem with my mod xD.

Edit: I tried something, I packed a XML with no modifications and runned the game, guess what?

The interaction keeps vanishing EVEN when I didn't do something to the XML file. ._.

~MadameButterfly~
9th Apr 2015, 2:30 AM
I tried again with my own file, but it still gave me the llama. (Although I have yet to find the corresponding DATA file that goes along with it, and I am kind of wondering if I will even be able to open it once I do find it.)

The XML files look beautiful, though. I especially like the attention to detail in the formatted versions of them, with the helpful comment info. That was more than what I ever expected. :)

Fogity
9th Apr 2015, 7:00 AM
Well, I am not able to test or search for what the problem is.

So I will say as I said from the beginning, it is up to you to find out what, if anything, is wrong with my files. Look through my files, compare them with working files. Look at my base game and game pack files and see if they are different then my files in any way.

I haven't made a tuning mod, nor have I got much time to spare at the moment. So if you want the files to be working you have to do the legwork yourself.

claudiasharon
9th Apr 2015, 7:11 AM
Hmm the XML files are working just fine for me, I was able to edit them and make my own mods from them. And the mods are working just fine, haven't run into any issues.

egureh
9th Apr 2015, 7:44 AM
Mine still has the same issue. I think it's better to get an example. Here are the same XML files from Sims4XmlExtractor and Fogity.
I made a mod for storing Easter eggs in Toybox with Sims4XmlExtractor version and it works fine.
But when I made a mod with Fogity's version, the Easter eggs are just vanished...like they've never been there.

Fogity
9th Apr 2015, 8:59 AM
Perfect, I found the problem. It was just a typo in my code that prevented the "t" attribute from being read. I also fixed extracting of modules.

I have uploaded the files to the same location, so just re-download (each one has been updated).

For convenience, here is the link: https://fogity.wordpress.com/extracted-tuning/

JustAnotherSimsFan
9th Apr 2015, 2:50 PM
Thank you again Fogity :)

Ryu_Knight
11th Apr 2015, 3:07 AM
so not sure if its been said but I'm having trouble getting Sims4XmlExtractor to do anything, I'm trying to extract from the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package but when I hit export in Sims4XmlExtractor it instantly says its finished exporting the files and then continually runs the loading bar at the bottom and nothing is done

what am I doing wrong

recursor94
11th Apr 2015, 7:10 AM
I am having the exact same problem as Ryu_Knight, the extractor reports that its finished immediately and does not actually extract any xml files. I am going to switch to an older version to see if I still have the same problem.

egureh
11th Apr 2015, 7:25 AM
Perfect, I found the problem. It was just a typo in my code that prevented the "t" attribute from being read. I also fixed extracting of modules.
I have uploaded the files to the same location, so just re-download (each one has been updated).
For convenience, here is the link: https://fogity.wordpress.com/extracted-tuning/
Yes, it's perfect. All my mods are working properly now. Thank you so much! :D

Shimrod101
11th Apr 2015, 12:31 PM
so not sure if its been said but I'm having trouble getting Sims4XmlExtractor to do anything, I'm trying to extract from the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package but when I hit export in Sims4XmlExtractor it instantly says its finished exporting the files and then continually runs the loading bar at the bottom and nothing is done
what am I doing wrong

The XML Extractor doesn't manage to do the newest combined file, as written about above. The newest one can simply be downloaded from SGModSquad here:
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource/p1

Change the name on the file (after unzipping) to .xml and run the Extractor on it.

azoresman
11th Apr 2015, 3:44 PM
The XML Extractor doesn't manage to do the newest combined file, as written about above. The newest one can simply be downloaded from SGModSquad here:
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource/p1

Change the name on the file (after unzipping) to .xml and run the Extractor on it.

That's what I did a week ago.

I've modded nearly 3000 files from the extracted combines and not a problem here.

And also using S4TT morgade's tool for reference.

5th LMNt
13th Apr 2015, 5:56 PM
The XML Extractor DOES manage the new binary file. Set the combined XML path to 0x00000000!0xf1352e740c4710ba.62e94d38.bnry, and it works like a charm.

~MadameButterfly~
13th Apr 2015, 8:38 PM
The base game SimGuru file worked fine with the extractor. So did Outdoor Retreat. It was only the first EP that gave us problems.

Anyway, there is a patch today, so we shall see how that goes.

claudiasharon
15th Apr 2015, 1:46 PM
So can we extract the files from the patch yet? If so, how would one go about doing this, I can't seem to get it to work for me.

JustAnotherSimsFan
15th Apr 2015, 2:22 PM
I don't think we can.

~MadameButterfly~
15th Apr 2015, 2:44 PM
As far as I know we can't, but I haven't downloaded the patch yet to be sure. If they don't send any files soon, I guess we need to draw lots to see whose turn it is to go ask for them. lol

Fogity
15th Apr 2015, 2:57 PM
Well, there are quite a few that have stated that they can extract the files from the binary combined tuning, so I guess we just wait for them to do it. :)

~MadameButterfly~
15th Apr 2015, 3:24 PM
Just to be clear, there are those who can? I know when this all first started, some people were confusing the file from the Full build (the original, unedited, file from when the game released which can still be extracted) with the Delta build file (the updated patched file). So when someone posts a link to extracted files, a person has to be careful that they aren't getting the original base game files from day 1.

claudiasharon
15th Apr 2015, 4:33 PM
I thought Fogity was able to do it with his own personal program?

~MadameButterfly~
15th Apr 2015, 5:01 PM
He can open the special xml file that is sent directly from the SimGurus. When this mess all started, you can see him ask for it here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/822872/simgurumodsquad-request-for-updated-resource-information#latest

Then SimGuruModSquad delivered the special xmls here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource#latest

EDIT: Also, thank-you JustAnotherSimsFan for asking for the files for us! I would have done it, but I don't want to wear out my welcome. (Especially since I've been so terribly harsh about the game in general.)

JustAnotherSimsFan
15th Apr 2015, 5:27 PM
You're welcome :)

claudiasharon
15th Apr 2015, 6:30 PM
@MadameButterfly, yeah I remember that. I wasn't sure if it was the SimGuru files he extracted or the .package file, I was a little confused I guess.

~MadameButterfly~
15th Apr 2015, 6:47 PM
It's ok. I think it's good that we had this mini-recap in case others come along and read this.

JustAnotherSimsFan
15th Apr 2015, 11:18 PM
Sorry plasticbox, post deleted.

~MadameButterfly~
17th Apr 2015, 9:53 PM
Combined tuning resources for 1.5.149 are up: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/823004/tuning-descriptions-and-xml-of-combined-tuning-resource#latest

EDIT: As far as I can tell, the extractor was able to extract the Get To Work combined file just fine this time. What about you guys? Did you see any garbly-gook?

scumbumbo
18th Apr 2015, 5:50 AM
Did you see any garbly-gook?
Sadly yes, your first post had mentioned the HTML quote tags in the "supported_posture_type_filter" tuning. Wasn't sure which file that was, but the first one I looked at with that tuning (interaction 1B5EC) had the same bugs, all over the place so I'm sure they're rampant. Kind of sad, as much as I (and I'm sure all of us!) appreciate the versions Fogity's tool produces, I really liked how the files got dumped by the original tool (all interactions in one subfolder, named S4_###_###_###.xml) as it made it super-easy comparing a set of specific files from the old XML to new using my XML comparer program. The unformatted XML is useless to me - can't read it, wouldn't work with it (too error prone a process for me), and the stuff with the comments is great for reference and initial mod building, but makes comparisons more error prone for a simple diff tool.

But then I'm sure for every person who may agree with me and equal number would prefer the way Fogity is providing them - so this is just idle chatter, not a suggestion for debate on how Fogity's tool should be formatting things. I will not look a gift horse in the mouth and will bow and scrape at Fogity's feet for another batch. :Pint:

~MadameButterfly~
18th Apr 2015, 6:26 AM
Ah ok, thank-you! I actually couldn't find my very original, but I may have thrown away my copy in disgust.

Fogity had formatted and unformatted versions of his newest files, however. He redid them after finding an error. ( Edit: Oh, I see. You mean all the individual folders.)

Edit 2: It's my bed time, so I am probably completely incoherent at the moment. Sorry about that.)

scumbumbo
18th Apr 2015, 6:46 AM
( Edit: Oh, I see. You mean all the individual folders.)
Yeah, I think it's just too organized for my kind of mind, lol. I LOVE the commented versions as it looks like it's combining the info from all the string tables instead of just the one from that particular set. If I can't get use to the new structure, I can always write a bash script to rename all the files and massage them the way I want.

I actually played around with the combined tuning simdata files in the 010 Editor using the new binary template EA provided but it doesn't look like it is coming out 100% correct. In any event, even if we could process it with the data tool all we'd see is a bunch of numbers pointing to strings in other tables, it wouldn't "assemble" it all into the combined tuning - that will definitely require a custom program be written. I know Fogity was considering writing something to do that, so if he or anyone else wants to discuss how that stuff is stored I'd be glad to share what I have managed to figure out - proabably another thread or a PM would be best.

Fogity
18th Apr 2015, 5:14 PM
I will provide a new batch of extracted files soon, when I am not as tired as I am right now.

But I would like some feedback on the format, it seems that at least scumbumbo has some issues with it that I probably could address. Currently I have parameters for whether to have line endings, what the tabs should consist of, whether to add references (strings and tuning for now, I will add cas parts and maybe objects when I feel like it). I could easily also add some parameters for the folder structure and naming.
So as far as I can see the only feature that I do not have that the extractor has is object references (though I can not release any tool for new, that will be in the future).
If you have an opinion on the structure, write it down and I will make the compromises I see fit (if only one person has an opinion, that will be the result, otherwise I just choose what fits me).

@scumbumbo: all information about the data files you can give me is good, I have a library for reading them, but it does not read those files yet. And I really do not have time to do extensive research for myself at the moment.

claudiasharon
18th Apr 2015, 7:51 PM
@Fogity, I like the way you format the files now. But if you want to change them for scumbumbo, I wouldn't object to that either. Either way works for me. I know, not helpful, but I suppose I just prefer the way you are doing it now, but I'm flexible. :)

Fogity
18th Apr 2015, 8:57 PM
Just uploaded extracted files from the latest update. They are again found here: https://fogity.wordpress.com/extracted-tuning/

But I must warn you that I have rewritten the tool I am using, so therefore it will look a bit different then my last extraction. I can also not guarantee that there won't be any mistakes in the files, check them first. I can guarantee that the previous problem is not there though.

Feedback is appreciated.

Nukael
18th Apr 2015, 9:05 PM
For me the individual XML files don't have to go into subfolders. It is enough if the XML's are organized by type alone into folders: e.g. have a folder called Sim_Templates, which would contain all the template XML's and so on... I never use the non-formatted XML's, only the formatted ones. As far as comparing the old XML's with the newer patch for differences, it wouldn't matter to use the commented XML's, because I would likely be using the commented XML's for my mods anyway (does that sentence make sense?). So for me personally there's no need to provide XML's without the comments. I quite like the comments, it makes it easier to know what's going on in a glance.
Oh, and THANK YOU FOGITY FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK! I think it's safe to say that the whole modding community is in your debt!

zano972
19th Apr 2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the job Fogity

Marquillotuca89
19th Apr 2015, 4:42 AM
Well, I won't have problems if there's any modification n.n

cyberops
19th Apr 2015, 4:15 PM
I will provide a new batch of extracted files soon, when I am not as tired as I am right now.

But I would like some feedback on the format, it seems that at least scumbumbo has some issues with it that I probably could address. Currently I have parameters for whether to have line endings, what the tabs should consist of, whether to add references (strings and tuning for now, I will add cas parts and maybe objects when I feel like it). I could easily also add some parameters for the folder structure and naming.
So as far as I can see the only feature that I do not have that the extractor has is object references (though I can not release any tool for new, that will be in the future).
If you have an opinion on the structure, write it down and I will make the compromises I see fit (if only one person has an opinion, that will be the result, otherwise I just choose what fits me).

@scumbumbo: all information about the data files you can give me is good, I have a library for reading them, but it does not read those files yet. And I really do not have time to do extensive research for myself at the moment.

Thanks for the new Extracted files, I personally miss the subfolders though so I hope you can get that working again in your new tool it saves a lot of trouble when having to compare new against old files.
Anyway as i said thanks, great job again as usual

jennhitch
28th Apr 2015, 2:09 AM
I did everything that you said to do, using the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package in the combined XML path box, nd made a folder on my desktop to extract it to, and when i clicked Extract button.... it said export finished but there was nothing in the folder.... any help?

dee va
29th Apr 2015, 4:02 AM
Im having the same problem as the user above me. Extract folder is empty.

Fogity
29th Apr 2015, 9:38 AM
This tool no longer works with the game files, the easiest solution for now is download the files I have extracted myself:
https://fogity.wordpress.com/resources/extracted-tuning/

Nukael
6th May 2015, 1:04 PM
The new XML's for the latest patch (1.6.69.1020) have been released: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832211/1-6-69-combined-binary-tuning-as-xml

Reptonplay
6th May 2015, 5:10 PM
am I doing something wrong? what I am saying is that Sims4XmlExtractor0006 will not extract this file SimulationDeltaBuild0 it just keep saying finished every time I try could you please help me with this Thanks

Nukael
6th May 2015, 5:24 PM
Have you read the rest of this thread? This tool no longer works with the game files, we all have to wait until Fogity extracts them for us and makes them available.
You could try downloading the XML's released by Maxis (see the post above yours), give the file the extension of .xml (otherwise this tool won't recognize it) and then extract it.

plasticbox
29th May 2015, 7:48 PM
I split off the last couple of posts (scumbumbo upload) into a new thread here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=556292

IgorSims2
10th Jun 2015, 9:36 PM
how download?

JustAnotherSimsFan
10th Jun 2015, 11:52 PM
This tool no longer works. You'll need to use either Sims 4 Studio (http://sims4studio.com) or Scumbumbo's Combined XML Extractor (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=556292).

plasticbox
10th Jun 2015, 11:56 PM
More specifically, the tool itself does work, but not for the current game version. (Since many people have expressed their dislike for patching all the time, I guess it's possible that some have simply stopped doing that .. those who use older game versions can still use this as well).