MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...
(UPDATE 1-SEP-2014) Salvaged Junkyard Objects Made Usable
by icarus_allsorts Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 3:02 PM - Updated 1st Sep 2014 at 10:14 AM by icarus_allsorts : Mod Update
1,161 Thanks Thanks 347 Favourited
1-SEP-2014: Simplified and tidied up some unnecessary coding
I always found it incredibly disappointing that sims could salvage objects from junkyards, but they would turn out to be absolutely useless since you can't repair them and pretty much the only thing you could do with them was replace them (when you could've just bought the same item for the same price??). So I made this script mod that makes salvaged objects usable again, unlocking their interactions and giving your sims the chance to repair them for regular use.
What It Does
Objects spawned from the junkyard spawners are burnt and charred by the game so have all their usual interactions stripped off of them. With the mod installed, when a sim salvages an object, the object is "un-char"-ed by the mod, which unlocks its usual interactions, and then the burnt material state of the object is reapplied to it giving it the same "trashy" look it had when it was found. (This only happens WHEN the object is salvaged so the mod won't affect any objects salvaged prior to installation). There are a few catches though:
- Repairable objects will have to be repaired of course. To make things a teensy bit more challenging, the mod increases the time required to fix the object to between 2 to 3 times the usual length (This was an object found in the dump after all). (This doesn't affect the fixing times for regular non-salvaged objects) Also the number of times the object has broken down in the past is set to just enough to force the "Replace" interaction to appear on it permanently.
- The value for salvaged objects is set to 0, so no point in reselling.
- Sculptures will be placed in the Family Inventory instead of the salvaging sim's inventory where they go to by default (which obstructs gameplay since they can't be hand dragged out from there). Although their values will be set to 0 by the mod, they may still appreciate in value if left long enough (unconfirmed)
- Bookshelves may contain random books. (Don't be surprised if you happen to find your writer sim's latest flop in one ;p)
- Toy Chests will have a reduced number of toys (possibly none). The value of contained toys are also reduced to 0 and the burnt material state is applied to them (when applicable) to match the chest.
- I've unlocked the "Fix Gas Leak" interaction (usually only available to Active Firefighters during emergencies) on salvaged Stoves for all sims to use since they don't have a "Repair" interaction. The gas leak has to be fixed before any other interactions become available on the stove.
- Chairs, Tables, Benches, Sofas, Lounge Chairs, Dressers and Beds should have all their usual interactions unlocked without condition.
- For any other object that isn't repairable and not mentioned above (In particular Dryers, Grills, Exercise Machines, Video Game Consoles, etc.) it seemed rather cheaty and too convenient to be able to use them unconditionally, so I made it a 50% chance that when salvaged the object turns out to be perfectly usable still, otherwise it remains charred
Also if it was a sim with the "Feeling Lucky" or "Unicorn's Blessing" moodlet that salvaged it, the fixing time of a repairable object will be reduced and the chance of an unfixable object turning out to be still usable is increased. (Reversed effects for a sim with the "Feeling Unlucky" or "Unicorn's Ire" moodlet)
Finally, as an added bonus, when a sim finishes repairing a salvaged object, the object's material state will be restored to normal, making it look brand new again! You'll have to live with the other objects in their burnt looking states though, but hey, that's what you get for gathering furniture from junkyards. If you've somehow grown attached to it and you'd rather have the repaired objects kept in their burnt statet, you can turn this feature on or off by typing the custom cheat "RestoreRepairedObjects true/false" in the cheats console (requires testingcheatsenabled true first) Do note that cleanable objects (like stoves) will have their default material state restored to them once cleaned, regardless of this setting.
Built and tested on patch 1.67 May work on lower patches but cannot guarantee it.
I did include an override for the Sim+LootObject_0x2d179f199d1af5ef XML to change the distance from an object a sim needs to route to salvage it, since I found with the default value Sims would route fail around the bigger objects. Other than that, since this is a script mod, conflicts with any other mods is highly unlikely.
Need help with downloading or installing content? Click here!
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
|Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents||Size||Downloads||Date|
|icarusallsorts.SalvageJunkyardObjects.rar | Description: UPDATE 1-SEP-2014||6.8 KB||17,450||28th Mar 2014|