I was trying to make a suitable roof over a bow window in a new house build (Lansbury House, which is forthcoming - that's it in the picture) but none of the Maxis roofs really work over bow windows - they look wrong and parts of them tend to stick into your bedrooms and they can make a hash of your lot imposters in neighbourhood view.
I went looking for alternatives and came across Whitewaterwood's half height AL roof deco
- nice idea, but even these were too high and blocked the windows above them. Soooo, I had to make my own....
I took the original Maxis Conexion Bohemia Roof Pieces which came with AL and reduced them to a quarter of the height. It isn't just a straight shrink - bit more involved than that - the original 'frame' for the roofing is the same as the original, while the actual slope of the roof is the one that has come down to one quarter of the height. There were originally three meshes for the roofs and there are three new meshes at a quarter height just the same - a straight piece, an outer corner and an inner corner. There are three rar
files available: in the first are the three meshes; then there are two types of recolour in the other files (see below), one for the frames and one for the surface of the tiling. Here's all three versions of the roofs together. Mine also fit pretty nicely around a stage which you can use on a flat roof - see last picture above.
You can find them in Build Mode>Architecture
Straight Piece $185
Outer Corner $187
Inner Corner $190
These new meshes are slaves to the original roof pieces and so any recolours you have of those will work with these. They had to be remapped which turned out to be something of a challenge (and I HATE mapping*). There are still some slight issues with the mapping of the textures which you can see if you look closely. In particular, in order to get the tiled recolours to work properly, the plate metal recolours have suffered a little, particularly when you place corner pieces together with others of the same type. With the outer corner, as you can see, the mid-point has no rivets (imagine it's been welded please), while the inner corner has two rows of rivets (a tricky spot, needs extra support). But, as you can see with the tiles, they work nicely together.
I have no idea why this was such an issue but it was, believe me*.
I also, while I was at it, made some recolours. First I recoloured the tiles and the metal sheeting. I have a tendency to think that I need recolours of things in all the primary colours (well, primary colours plus yellow). Hence I made tile recolours in green, blue, red and yellow and then metal sheet recolours in green, blue and red (there is already a 'striking' yellow recolour so I didn't bother with that. Then I made a couple of 'frame' recolours of sandstone and red sandstone (because I make a lot of sandstone buildings). And then, and I have no rational explanation for this, I just had to make a recolour that was a chevron wood pattern. I have no idea what that is about, I just had to do it and absurdly pleased with myself I am too. I made a wooden frame for that as well because the sandstone and concrete looked funny. Maybe you can make a shed with it. I dunno.
I got the original of the chevron wood design from Chewton Wood Design
*distant sound of teeth grinding
Polys - same as the original
Outer Corner 138
Inner Corner 138
Makers of SimPE, Numenor and RGiles. Whitewaterwood for the original idea.