View Full Version : Adjusting a shirt mesh
7th Jan 2012, 2:49 PM
I'm looking through the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem, but as of page 20, I haven't seen it yet, so I'm asking. I'm trying to make one of the shirts that came with Generations slimmer, and while it looks fine in Milkshape, it is not fine in CAS. I have attached a screenshot that shows what I mean. I will continue browsing the forum and messing around in Milkshape to see if I can fix it on my own, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Edit - outside of CAS, the shirt looks fine. It has some clipping, which is easily fixed, but other than that, and the weird line, it's okay. I mean, compared to the CAS look.
7th Jan 2012, 3:16 PM
I could swear something similar has happened to me once or twice, and I redid the item and it was okay. So, um, can't say what's wrong except it looks to be a texturing problem - a wrongly assigned texture or something. First thing I would do is re-import all the textures. If that doesn't work, I'd be curious to take a look if you'd upload the package.
7th Jan 2012, 3:22 PM
I've redone it several times, with a new clone each time. I'm wondering if it's the way I'm editing the mesh. Does it matter if I "grab" parts underneath the shirt, or is it all shirt (obviously I'm new)? When you say import the textures, do you mean with CTU? I've never been able to get CTU to work for me, definitely not on my Mac and not in my Windows partition either, it always crashes when I try to do anything in it, so I've just been using s3pe and s3oc.
7th Jan 2012, 4:00 PM
Did you try clearing your caches?
7th Jan 2012, 4:32 PM
Yes, every time before I test the mesh :)
7th Jan 2012, 4:44 PM
I can't remember exactly because it was a LONG time ago, but I *might* have had something similar like this happen to me when I used CTU to clone the burglar gloves in order to make tattoo accessories. I dug up this thread for some more info:
But I have no idea if this is actually the problem you're experiencing. I can't remember if it was borked only in CAS or both in CAS and in game. Again, it's been a long time, and I don't remember exactly what the glitch looked like when the burglar gloves borked my texture.
7th Jan 2012, 5:17 PM
Similar things happen sometimes when using the wrong meshcomments, one less TGI reference for instance.
Make sure you do not have duplicates!
Also check that if the outfit has a normalmap you updated all 3 detail GEOMs with a new(or blanc) one.
Like Cmar mentioned, share the package if you can not figure it out.
7th Jan 2012, 6:14 PM
Thank you robokitty and Bloomsbase. I've looked at the links and also at my mesh some more. When I look at the comments, the first two are duplicates, but they are like that with the original EA mesh also. Normal maps are kind of beyond me, I honestly thought this would be easier than it is, like resizing objects, but I can see that was silly :) Is this something that CTU would make much easier? I don't know why I can't get it to run, but I have access to real Windows computers occasionally, so I can maybe try on there at some point.
7th Jan 2012, 6:59 PM
Your geom comments look fine. Also the lines at the waist and shoulders look like bumpmap issues.
If you don't want to upload the package, could you list the steps you took to create it and replace the mesh using s3pe and s3oc?
7th Jan 2012, 7:34 PM
oh, sorry. Here is a link to the package (http://www.mediafire.com/?2645r3969xrkskx). It would make sense that it's a bump map issue, I haven't even bothered with the textures yet. My steps in creating are:
1. Clone object with s3oc
2. Get mesh with s3pe (simgeoms, lod 1, 2, and 3)
3. Edit mesh in Milkshape (just scaling the shirt. I read somewhere that an edit like this wouldn't need any morphs done, and it doesn't)
4. Export over original simgeom
5. Import into original package
7th Jan 2012, 8:24 PM
This is most likly a s3OC issue.
For a mesh edit like this you should not include all the textures:
-Clone the file with s3OC as default replacement(untick rename/renumber internally)
-open your file with s3PE and delete all the images
-clone the file again with s3OC, this time you tick rename/renumber internally
-In milkshape change the 1st TGI reference 00 in the commentbox into:
This will give you a blanc normalmap
-Do this for all 3 lods
-Import the meshes back in the package(with Postal or s3PE)
Another thing you must avoid is to try to overwrite your original file, it doesn't work. (bug in the plugin)
Rename it to high, medium and low.
And when back in s3PE you choose replace instead of import
7th Jan 2012, 8:49 PM
Oh! I always wondered what that message in s3oc about not rename/renumber internally means, and I guess this is it! I will test this and come back with my results. Thank you all so much for the help.
vBulletin v3.0.14, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.