MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Sims 4 Mod Manager

by Raxdiam Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 11:51 AM - Updated 15th Jun 2015 at 6:34 AM by Raxdiam
501 Comments / replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
If your mod manager window does not show up on screen after running, please refer to "Bug Workaround" near the bottom of the page.
NOTICE: Get support and submit bugs/errors by clicking here.

For updates in development progression, click here.


Description

The Sims 4 Mod Manager is a program designed to make management of mods easier.


Features

• Drag and drop (supports more than one drop)
• Auto-installs mods from their archives (Zip, RAR, or 7Zip). See "Adding Mods" below.
• Does not make use of the Resource.cfg – Mods are backed up to a folder, and are copied to the “Mods” folder when enabled.
• Enable multiple mods at once
• Disable multiple mods at once
• Shows mod type – “Package” if it is a “.package” file, and “Script” if it is a “.zip” file. Also shows icons for both types.
• Supports sub-folder categorization (only supports 1 level)


Version Change Log

2.2.0:
• Added support for 7zip archives.
• Changed to use 7zip libraries for extraction of all supported archive formats.
• Download now comes in the form of an installer.
• Any zip archives contained within an archive will be extracted and discerned as a script mod.
• Small internal chages/optimizations.

2.1.0:
• Mod manager now auto-installs mods from their archives (.rar or .zip). Scroll down for more info.
• Fixed issues with French computers.
• Small internal changes

2.0.1: (Optional Patch)
• Fixed configuration related startup error

2.0.0:
• Re-coded and re-built from the ground up.
• Implemented re-sizing of window, and saving position of the window on screen.
• Added "New Tab" containing various features that will open in different tabs, and also contains an RSS feed from http://raxdiam.com/
• Added icons to mod types in the mod manager tab.
• Added tool tip showing file information for individual mod items in the mod manager tab.
• Added option to add a category in the mod manager tab.
• Added option to remove a category in the mod manager tab.
• Added ability to rename mods without renaming the files themselves.
• Added a settings tab.
• Added a screenshot viewer tab.
• Added a Resource.cfg file editor tab.
• Added log file for error reporting.
• Removed "Available Mods" idea.
• Changes to UI.

1.3.1:
• Fixed error upon removing a mod that is in a sub-folder
• Fixed error upon removing every mod on the list
• Fixed mod counter issue

1.3.0:
• Small changes to UI
• Added item grouping. – Groups are folders, with items under them as mods.
• Tweaked how mods are added to adapt to how mods are now displayed.
• Tweaked some other parts of code to adapt to how mods are now displayed.
• The “About” tab is now no longer permanent and can be opened by pressing the gear icon.
• Added “TS4MM Folder” to context menu – Opens “Mods” folder for TS4MM.
• Added/Changed “Official Folder” to context menu – Opens “Mods” folder for the game.

1.2.1:
• Small internal changes
• Added "Open Mods Folder" to context menu

1.2.0:
• Fixed startup error - TS4MM will auto-detect the Mods folder no matter what language you're using
• Added manual Mods folder selection if auto-detection fails
• Mods folder path is saved in "config.ini" within TS4MM's documents folder
• Fixed drag & drop problems
• Can now add multiple mods in an instance
• Added an update notifier
• TS4MM can now detect mods in sub-folders - the limit of detection is 1 sub-folder in the Mods folder
• Resized tabs to conserve space

1.1.0:
• Added context menu to mod list
• Added donate button
• Minor changes in code

1.0.0:
• Release


Tutorial

Thanks again to Apanda!


Adding Mods

With previous versions, installing package mods required you to first extract the ".package" files somewhere, and then add them with the manager.
In the current version of TS4MM, that step is removed. If the package mod or mods that you have downloaded are contained in a ".zip", ".rar", or ".7z" archive, you can simply drag them in to the manager, or add them with the button, and the manager will automatically extract any ".package" files in the archive into your Mods folder.

You do not have to worry about whether or not the mod you download is a script mod. The manager will discern the difference by looking at the contents of the archive, and if it is a script mod, it will copy it to your Mods folder.


Hotkeys

Applies only to the mod manager tab.
KeyAction
Ctrl + AAdd mod(s)
DeleteRemove selected mod(s)
Ctrl + RRefresh mod list
Ctrl + EEnable selected mod(s)
Ctrl + DDisable selected mod(s)
Ctrl + Shift + RRename mod
Ctrl + Shift + ASelect all mods


Unzip and extract anywhere, then double-click "TS4MM_<version>-Setup.exe" and follow the steps for installation. After it's installed, simply double-click the icon on your desktop named "TS4 Mod Manager".

Requires .NET Framework 4 or higher.

Virus Total Scan


Bug Workaround

First workaround found by marvinpunz:
  1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
  2. Choose Task Manager
  3. Right-click on The Sims 4 Mod Manager
  4. Click Expand
  5. Right-click the newly expanded item
  6. Click Bring to front
  7. Click Maximize

Second workaround found by sim508:
  1. Make sure The Sims 4 Mod Manager is closed
  2. Go to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\TS4 Mod Manager
  3. Open the file config.ini
  4. Change location to match the following:
    Code:
    [window]
    location = 0, 0
  5. Save and try opening The Sims 4 Mod Manager again

Third workaround found by rpastorcale:
  1. Hover over the icon for The Sims 4 Mod Manager
  2. Wait for the preview to show
  3. Right-click on the preview and click Maximize

To prevent this bug

The best way to prevent this bug from happening is to not close TS4MM while it is minimized.
This bug happens because I made it so that the location of the window on your screen would be saved to a configuration file, so that when you open TS4MM again, it would be in the same place you last opened it.
What I should have done in the first place, is make it so that it would not save it's location while minimized.
I apologize for my mistake. This will be fixed in the next update.


Additional Credits:
Thrahistan - For creating the first mod manager, and the inspiration for this one.
You can find his manager here.

Note: New domain! http://raxdiam.com/
Tags: #mod manager, #manager

Type: Other

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 4
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
TS4_Mod_Manager_2.2.0.zip 1.23 MB 238,774 10th Jan 2015
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:

1. Download: Click the download link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.

2. Extract: Use 7zip (recommended), WinRAR (Windows) or Stuffit (OS X) to extract the file(s) from the .rar or .zip file(s). OS X also has a built-in utility for that (just rightclick).

3. Simply open the zip file, then drag and drop the .exe file to your desktop, or where ever you prefer to run it from.

Need more information?
 
Page 13 of 21
501 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 268 Feedback Posts, 213 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#301 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 8:09 PM
Thanks for making my gameplay more enjoyable through your hard work. Well done!
Test Subject
#302 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 11:55 PM
I am having a unique issue it would seem. I have installed the program and made sure my Documents directory is correct. I have plenty of experience manually installing mods so I am certain the directory is correct. It is C:\Users\<MyName>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Neither dragging and dropping nor adding mods via the "+" button is working. They just don't show up in the list, they do not go into the mod folder at all. However if I manually add them to my mods folder and then refresh the list in the program they show up then and I can enable and disable them as expected.

My log file shows the following errors:
[4/08/2015 3:43 PM]: Populating mod list...
[4/08/2015 3:45 PM]: Could not validate Documents path to The Sims 4. Have you installed and run game?
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Checking validity of directories...
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Populating mod list...
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Failed to add mod(s).
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Can not load 7-zip library or internal COM error! Message: failed to load library.

And yes, I have installed and run the game. Love the idea of this program and like the preview of the next version you posted to you site! I really hope I can get this working. Thanks in advance for any help!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#303 Old 9th Apr 2015 at 1:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reithegenki
I am having a unique issue it would seem. I have installed the program and made sure my Documents directory is correct. I have plenty of experience manually installing mods so I am certain the directory is correct. It is C:\Users\<MyName>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Neither dragging and dropping nor adding mods via the "+" button is working. They just don't show up in the list, they do not go into the mod folder at all. However if I manually add them to my mods folder and then refresh the list in the program they show up then and I can enable and disable them as expected.

My log file shows the following errors:
[4/08/2015 3:43 PM]: Populating mod list...
[4/08/2015 3:45 PM]: Could not validate Documents path to The Sims 4. Have you installed and run game?
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Checking validity of directories...
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Populating mod list...
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Failed to add mod(s).
[4/08/2015 3:47 PM]: Can not load 7-zip library or internal COM error! Message: failed to load library.

And yes, I have installed and run the game. Love the idea of this program and like the preview of the next version you posted to you site! I really hope I can get this working. Thanks in advance for any help!


If it can't find the path to the Mods folder for the game, you need to choose it manually in the settings.
The "Can not load 7-zip library" error means exactly what it says. If you go to where TS4ModManager.exe is, and there is no file named "7z.dll", that'd be the reason it's returning the error. But it should be there if you used the installer.
If that .dll file is there, then I honestly have no idea why it's not loading it.
Test Subject
#304 Old 9th Apr 2015 at 9:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxdiam
If it can't find the path to the Mods folder for the game, you need to choose it manually in the settings.
The "Can not load 7-zip library" error means exactly what it says. If you go to where TS4ModManager.exe is, and there is no file named "7z.dll", that'd be the reason it's returning the error. But it should be there if you used the installer.
If that .dll file is there, then I honestly have no idea why it's not loading it.


Thanks for the quick reply! I have chosen the path in the settings and confirmed that it is set properly in the config.ini. It's still not adding unfortunately.
I do have the 7z.dll so not sure what the problem there happens to be. If I am able to find a solution I will post back here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

For now I am manually installing my mods and using the manager to keep them organized, but it would definitely be nice to have full functionality. Even without that I am enjoying the program a lot and wanted to say thank you for your hard work on this project.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#305 Old 10th Apr 2015 at 4:50 AM
Thank you very much for making this easier!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#306 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 8:25 PM
The instructions arent as clear to me on how to use the mod. My intuition for figuring it out myself is telling me to
1. Open the program
2. Click the + to add the mod that you just downloaded (which is in the download folder). When I do that it doesnt install the mid, theres no trace of it in the EA folder>Sims4>Mod folder. Is it installing it somewhere else?

Since I was put off by that, I attempted to drag the zipped mod into the program interface, didn't let me drag & drop but I see you updated it so that drag & drop was supported. Seems like it should be an easy thing to use but it has made it more confusing to me. Maybe with step by step instructions, I can enjoy this mod too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#307 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 9:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarefeet
The instructions arent as clear to me on how to use the mod. My intuition for figuring it out myself is telling me to
1. Open the program
2. Click the + to add the mod that you just downloaded (which is in the download folder). When I do that it doesnt install the mid, theres no trace of it in the EA folder>Sims4>Mod folder. Is it installing it somewhere else?

Since I was put off by that, I attempted to drag the zipped mod into the program interface, didn't let me drag & drop but I see you updated it so that drag & drop was supported. Seems like it should be an easy thing to use but it has made it more confusing to me. Maybe with step by step instructions, I can enjoy this mod too.


You're doing it right. Drag and drop doesn't work when Windows Explorer is on a different UAC level than the application. Meaning if you are running TS4MM as administrator, and Explorer is not, it will not work, and vice versa.
As for why the mods are not being added when you are clearly adding them correctly, it's probably that the 7z.dll file in the install folder of TS4MM cannot be accessed. Some people have had this problem, and I do not know of any way to fix it as I cannot reproduce the problem myself.
Lab Assistant
#308 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 7:00 PM
It won't open anymore
Test Subject
DELETED POST
16th Apr 2015 at 5:30 PM
This message has been deleted by dceo4327.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
16th Apr 2015 at 5:33 PM
This message has been deleted by dceo4327.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#309 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 2:24 AM
i love this but can you please add a highlight all mods it would be easier then clicking every mod
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#310 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 7:29 AM
Thanks for posting this I downloaded a bunch of mods and they didn't work only a few
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#311 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:30 AM
i cant open it
Test Subject
#312 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 2:29 PM
I downloaded and started the Mod Manager. I selected all mods and ran the game. In the MM all mods were available but in my game all mod were unavailable also in the mod list, there wasn't any mod. How can i fix this?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#313 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 8:16 PM
very handy thank u
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#314 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 11:36 PM
May give this a whirl in a few days, thank you!!!!
Lab Assistant
#315 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 4:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGat
I downloaded and started the Mod Manager. I selected all mods and ran the game. In the MM all mods were available but in my game all mod were unavailable also in the mod list, there wasn't any mod. How can i fix this?


You probably need to enable the mods. They need to have a check mark, otherwise they won't be added to the game. That's how this is helpful: you have all your mods and only the checked ones will run in the game. Otherwise, what's the point of it?
Lab Assistant
#316 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 4:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsrock91
i love this but can you please add a highlight all mods it would be easier then clicking every mod


Click the first mod, hold the shift button, scroll down to last mod, click that, voila... all highlighted.
Lab Assistant
#317 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 4:26 AM
Really hope version 3 is available soon. After finding this, using it, and it suddenly not working, I'm going nuts without it. It was so helpful!
Test Subject
#318 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 1:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaraRose
You probably need to enable the mods. They need to have a check mark, otherwise they won't be added to the game. That's how this is helpful: you have all your mods and only the checked ones will run in the game. Otherwise, what's the point of it?


When I opened the game today it was working. I didn't changed anything. I'm so happy now ^^. Thanks anyway.
Test Subject
#319 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:05 AM
Yeah this mod manager isn't opening anymore....shame.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#320 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 3:44 AM
Thanks!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#321 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 11:14 PM
Thank you very much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#322 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 11:15 AM
Thanks so much for this!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#323 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 9:22 AM
Thanks for this! :)
Page 13 of 21