18 Comments / replies (Who?
This is a new mesh, and means that it's a brand new self contained object that usually does not require a specific Expansion pack (although this is possible depending on the type). It may have Recolours hosted on MTS - check below the description for more information.
I created those ferns in February, but never got around finishing them until recently (they didn’t have snow texture and the hood deco version). Over all those months I’ve been using them a lot (I play in warm hoods without winter so I didn’t need the snow texture), because they’re so versatile that they fit everywhere, and I basically don’t have a single lot without them used. I showed a few usage examples in the pictures, I hope you’ll find a use for them in your game too
To make the texture I used Obsidian Dawn brushes
(the crator wated to be credited to this site
, but it doesn’t work), snow is made by me, as well as the meshes. The hood version is cloned from Gwenke’s poplar
, and the lot one from Maxis oleander.
Fern 1 (thin leaves):
- I made two types of ferns, one with thin leaves and one with wider ones, and both come in two sizes.
- The set has two versions – high poly and low poly. All the pictures show the low poly version, except the two comparison pictures. The high poly version has more than twice as many polys and the difference is really little, so I rather recommend using the low poly one, but if you really want them to look smooth from all angles, get the high poly one. You can have only one in your game.
- The ferns are neutral with respect to routing, sims can go through them without complaints.
- They look the same in all seasons (which is on purpose, because I don’t want them to change in spring and autumn), except when they’re covered by snow, as shown in the pictures.
- The hood deco version can be found under flora, and the lot version is in build mode → garden centre → shrubs, each fern costs §16.
- The plants don’t need tending, they never get overgrown.
- All files are slaved to fernTextureMASTER.package. Do not delete that file, but you can delete any others, they’re independent. For example if you don’t want the hood version, delete all files with hood in the name.
- Faces: 2050
- Vertices: 1444
Fern 2 (wide leaves):
- Faces: 1922
- Vertices: 1354
– for generous policy thanks to which I could clone her poplar and easily make my ferns change with snow level.
– for fern brushes.
– for general help, especially with making a low poly version.