Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2020 at 4:12 AM
Default Help on hands
Hi, I'm here again with needing help because hands are not working right I'm using dance together animation and the hands seem to do this instead of forming into a fist please tell me what I did wrong.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st May 2020 at 10:50 AM
Hey, it could be a problem with bones that may be wrongly assigned.
What method do you use to assign bones?

With Meshtoolkit or TSRW, have you tried using a different reference to auto-assign the bones?
If you're using Milkshape, you could import your mesh, check bones assignment. You could also clear the bone assignments on both hands and reassign bones only for the empty bones assignments in MeshToolkit?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2020 at 5:37 PM Last edited by Judycb : 31st May 2020 at 6:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
Hey, it could be a problem with bones that may be wrongly assigned.
What method do you use to assign bones?

With Meshtoolkit or TSRW, have you tried using a different reference to auto-assign the bones?
If you're using Milkshape, you could import your mesh, check bones assignment. You could also clear the bone assignments on both hands and reassign bones only for the empty bones assignments in MeshToolkit?

Hi, I used meshtoolkit I assigned the EA 1st then reference with the bones 2nd I tried EA hands but the mesh turns black this after I DirectMeshtools in Milkshape.
Screenshots
Instructor
#4 Old 31st May 2020 at 7:05 PM
So, correct me if I didn't understand well.

The mesh is turning black after you use DirectX Mesh Tools to reduce the polycount, it happens normally.
You have to go to Face > Smooth all and your mesh should not be black anymore.

When using DirectX Mesh Tools, you have to reassign the bones once more when you export the mesh.
As you might have been doing, go to Mesh Toolkit > Auto tools for WSO > Auto-assign Bones and assign bones.

If after that the hands are still not moving as they should, you should check how the bones on the hands are assigned.
You can do that in Milkshape by importing your mesh with bones assigned > Joint tab > Draw vertices with bone colors.

This way you can check if the bones are correct or not.
After that, you can either manage to reassign the bones manually or you can try to clear the bones for the hands, get a different reference mesh that will maybe work wit the auto-assign bones function of the Mesh Toolkit, and only assign the empty bones.

I used that method for the outfit in the picture: I used a mesh with a long coat to feat my own mesh and then I had to clear the hands bones and reassign empty bones with a different mesh, because some fingers would get assigned together for some reason.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st May 2020 at 8:00 PM Last edited by Judycb : 31st May 2020 at 9:02 PM.
So, correct me if I didn't understand well.

The mesh is turning black after you use DirectX Mesh Tools to reduce the polycount, it happens normally.
You have to go to Face > Smooth all and your mesh should not be black anymore.

When using DirectX Mesh Tools, you have to reassign the bones once more when you export the mesh.
As you might have been doing, go to Mesh Toolkit > Auto tools for WSO > Auto-assign Bones and assign bones.

If after that the hands are still not moving as they should, you should check how the bones on the hands are assigned.
You can do that in Milkshape by importing your mesh with bones assigned > Joint tab > Draw vertices with bone colors.

This way you can check if the bones are correct or not.
After that, you can either manage to reassign the bones manually or you can try to clear the bones for the hands, get a different reference mesh that will maybe work wit the auto-assign bones function of the Mesh Toolkit, and only assign the empty bones.

I used that method for the outfit in the picture: I used a mesh with a long coat to feat my own mesh and then I had to clear the hands bones and reassign empty bones with a different mesh, because some fingers would get assigned together for some reason.
I fixed the hands now I just have neck issues now but I don't now if its seam issues or bone issues.
Screenshots
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Jun 2020 at 10:39 AM
So great, you were able to fix the hands!

For the neck issue, could definitely be still a bone issue.
There was thread with someone who had a similar problem: here. Their solution was using a different reference mesh.
Same as the hand I would maybe try to clear the bones around the neck and try to reassign the bones with a different reference mesh? Possibly with a mesh with collar that's higher (which I think might be the issue here)?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2020 at 9:36 PM
So great, you were able to fix the hands!

For the neck issue, could definitely be still a bone issue.
There was thread with someone who had a similar problem: here. Their solution was using a different reference mesh.
Same as the hand I would maybe try to clear the bones around the neck and try to reassign the bones with a different reference mesh? Possibly with a mesh with collar that's higher (which I think might be the issue here)?

Thanks for the help I wanna ask how do u channel a full-body clothing because I get ignored a lot on this question because I don't know if I am supposed to fully color the suit red or half red and half green for the UV.
Instructor
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 5:50 PM
When you say green and red, you're referencing the UV placement images?

When I do full body outfit, I'm careful about both the Red (Top) and Green (Bottom) parts of the UV placement guide because I don't want bleeding textures from or on other parts of the body.
It's always useful to have the help of an EA full body texture or you can get a UV guide with the UV body template to help you place your own mesh UVs. Gruesim made some here (click on the link under UV Map image).

First picture attached is an example of a fullbody outfit with the guide superposed on the diffuse map (which should be grey).

As for Channel, as in color channel mask.
If you want just one channel/color, you can go all red over the whole image. No need to worry about Top or Bottom.
If you want multiple colors, you'll have to use different colors for the different parts of the body, which can also be anywhere.

Second picture attached is an example of a fullbody outfit with 3 channels (I always use Red/Yellow/Magenta because I think they blend together better than RGB and reduce the chance of visible lines appearing between two channels).
As you can see, in the UV guide the red (Top) stops way before the red in the mask. That's because my top falls to the thighs and in the mask I want the top to be the same color.

So in the color mask, I don't necessarily stick to the UV placement guide. I just go with the textures and what color I want each part of my texture to be.

I don't know if it answers your question. ^^'
Screenshots