Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#51 Old 18th May 2017 at 9:58 AM
I don't like a system that encourages people to lie, and from what I've seen the us is full of it. In my country if my income is higher than a given number, I have to pay tax. It depends on the subject I'm trying to sell though, so perhaps for that reason, if I can't live with what I'm doing there is no cred to be given.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#52 Old 18th May 2017 at 10:55 AM
Re: TSR and their timer - open the download in a new window and the timer won't pause. You can then use those 60 seconds (or 10... silly, isn't it?) to go do whatever else you want. The item will download when the timer runs out.

AND: If you *have* to "donate" in order to get a certain download, that IS NOT a donation - it's an outright purchase. (Volvenom - don't quote me because I may very well be wrong, but I think that if you have income over $600 a year in the US you have to report it. I don't know if that's income from ALL sources or just certain ones.)

Oh, and @Anarchy Blues - wth? I always make sure the blinds are completely closed and my doctor assured me my test results would be private! Nah, seriously though, my mom has diabetes so I'm really careful about what I eat and I do get tested at least once a year. So far, so good. I feel that I can get away with eating chocolate every day (and I don't mean a ton of it, just 2 or 3 little pieces or squares) because I generally eat well. I don't eat a lot of sweets other than my daily chocolate, I eat a lot of fruits/veggies and don't eat a lot of meat either. As long as I stay relatively healthy and don't gain weight? Bring on the chocolate!!
Field Researcher
#53 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:42 PM
There's two categories here:

1. Sites which claim to have free content and enforce long wait times and ads for it.

2. People who have a donate button or Patreon link on their site.

The first is really annoying, but people have developed plugins to bypass it. The second I see no issue with whatsoever; donating voluntarily when there are no rewards for doing so isn't the same as paying for content. (Also if there are rewards, but those rewards don't have anything to do with EA's property -- for example you use your Patreon money to fund modding, but the donor rewards you offer are of a completely different kind, like hand drawn art or badges.)

From my perspective, quietly asking for donations is reasonable. Those donations, if it were me, would pay for expansion packs I cannot afford or do not even want, so that I can make content for others based on the content of those expansion packs. Donations which have no reward tied to them except the potential for the creator to keep their game up to date and make content based on and compatible with newer packs, I'm in favour of. You're providing a free service, and because you don't get paid, you have donated your labour hours that could have been spent elsewhere to get money to buy things you actually want -- all you ask in return is for a little help to access the new expansions while still supporting EA.

The other option for the creator who has no money and wants to continue to create free content based on newer games and expansions, is piracy, which is much worse for EA as they don't get the sale. Some people have money, while others have time, and yet others have the resources and ability to create.

I'll take money from someone who has no inclination to learn to create, and create things for them -- then it is commission. I would however still provide the item for free on my site; it would be the donation from that one person that influenced me to make that item and not another thing. As long as the money paid by your followers is a) not forced or coerced, and b) goes toward further purchases from EA -- through the creator buying packs that they otherwise would not buy, or through other people continuing to buy the game when without the CC they wouldn't buy it, I think it's okay.

Bigger question is can we trust people to be reasonable? Both the creators and what they do with their money, and the people who benefit from the CC to actually use the donate button if they can afford to? It's this which makes AdFly attractive, both to the creator lacking donations and the downloader lacking money.

What's really, really wrong is using AdFly links on content that's actually ripped from an expansion, so that others who do not have the expansion can use it for free. That robs EA of a potential sale while at the same time the person who uploaded it profits from EA's property. That is not only piracy but profit on it.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 20th May 2017 at 7:14 PM
The ones that I really can't stand are the ones who claim they only release free content, but have some set aside as an exclusive "reward" for donors.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 21st May 2017 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShelbyRené
I've totally stumbled across this issue on TSR before. I just ignore the donate button, leave my AdBlocker enabled, and go work on a word document or something for a few seconds to a minute. Most times, I just get the 10-second countdown, but even the 60-second one doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Call me stubborn, but if I see a piece of content that's on a (mostly) free site like that that I want, I'm getting it, come Hell or high water.

I do the same thing. I am not at TSR much but can raid the fridge, or scratch my nose for the 60 seconds. They can tell me a thousand times and I am not ever turning off my adblocker. Which I never even set as I recall, so Kaspersky may be doing it automatically?

I have zero problem with people asking for donations. And as said, if we do not like the policies of a site, move on/elsewhere. I don't download much for 4 and so even Adfly does not bug me as I see it so few times. When I do I just click past it.
Instructor
#56 Old 21st May 2017 at 12:45 AM Last edited by Manderz0630 : 21st May 2017 at 9:39 PM.
TRS ad Skipper Skips the annoying count down timer on The Sim Resource.

uBlock you can filter it and lets you get pass the "Disable your ad blocker" message from custom content creator sites without turning it off.
Instructor
#57 Old 21st May 2017 at 10:27 AM
pity TSR Ad Skipper isn't in Firefox

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Scholar
#58 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:53 PM
Adfly is the absolute worst. Sometimes there are so many redirects you lose the original download you were trying to get and it takes repeated attempts to get it.

I absolutely despise TSR. I only dl from there if I *REALLY* like an item and I never, ever do searches for specific stuff. Too much alpha hair anyway. Most creators I follow are simblrs anyway.
Instructor
#59 Old 21st May 2017 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
Adfly is the absolute worst. Sometimes there are so many redirects you lose the original download you were trying to get and it takes repeated attempts to get it.

A lot of Creators had their Tumblrs deleted because of the use of AdFly and AdFly clones like Shorte.St and AdForce through their download links. Only takes one person to report it.
Scholar
#60 Old 26th May 2017 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LaurellKH
Are you the pay site owner then? You are trolling me. Of course I will not pay it. What kind of stupid suggestion is that except a troll to try and provoke me to a fight on a heated subject. Unless I open the free site myself and give their stuff away I am obviously not going to pay for it. But I must search or else I will spend all day crying in the WCIF section will you all look for me for this and for that. So I must be forced to see their sites as that is where the google leads and where the blogs lead. Take your trolling elsewhere is silly to tell me what is obvious.

And on what I said I will add that it was not Newsea that had the bad adds and Newsea does have some free content. Just hard time finding their free items.

I donate to this site so that people like you can use it. It also has ads. What is wrong with people thinking they are entitled to things. Things cost MONEY. Keep a site like this going takes money, creating things takes money and time. I feel for people that are having finance issues, and I avoid adfly myself and don't take the items, but there is no honor in not doing your part to support those that give of their time and effort.
Test Subject
#61 Old 26th May 2017 at 4:30 PM
This is really sad.
Y'all sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. The creators of CC are spending their valuable time on something that they would like to have in their game and are gracious enough to share it with the community. If they have to/want to charge a price for their labor then that's their choice. If you don't like the method that they chose to disseminate their work then don't download it!
It's that simple. Like it or not that is the reality so deal with it. You should be thankful that they share their work. Instead you act like a bunch of crybabies.
I'd personally like to thank all the talented folks out there who have invested their valuable time into creating such a vast assortment of CC so that we can tailor our game to our likes. You guys rock and please keep on keeping on. We all love it, even if some of us have gotten spoiled and take the time and effort that y'all put into making them for granted.
Screw the haters.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#62 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:16 PM
That was a fine speech for a first post . Good that something inspired you to come out of lurking, or register, or start a sockpuppet, or whatever!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 27th May 2017 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoofMonkey73
This is really sad.
Y'all sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. The creators of CC are spending their valuable time on something that they would like to have in their game and are gracious enough to share it with the community. If they have to/want to charge a price for their labor then that's their choice. If you don't like the method that they chose to disseminate their work then don't download it!
It's that simple. Like it or not that is the reality so deal with it. You should be thankful that they share their work. Instead you act like a bunch of crybabies.
I'd personally like to thank all the talented folks out there who have invested their valuable time into creating such a vast assortment of CC so that we can tailor our game to our likes. You guys rock and please keep on keeping on. We all love it, even if some of us have gotten spoiled and take the time and effort that y'all put into making them for granted.
Screw the haters.

Quote: Originally posted by Pollux111
The Sims modding community (and almost Skyrim's until Steam cancelled the whole project) displays a very Millennial attitude with this sort of thing. Nobody asked or demanded of you to start modding. There exists no agreement that you sign to Mod things where you have any expectation of being reimbursed for your time and effort. It all comes off as a very, dare I say the buzzword, entitled attitude. You are not inherently entitled to compensation just because you managed to get out of bed in the morning as a frighteningly large percentage of the population believes.

- Decide you like a game (for example, The Sims) and enjoy spending time toying with it inside and in its code
- "Hmm, I could change something about this game that I like"
- "Hey, I could put this up on the internet for other people to enjoy it"
- ???
- "WTF WHY ISN'T ANYONE GIVING ME MONEY FOR DOING THIS"

If one doesn't like not being paid for their time the answer is to stop wasting their time, because clearly in their mind their time is in fact being wasted. Wishy-washy bullshit statements that try to make the issue more complicated than it is such as "But wouldn't you like to get a little something back for time you spent on a project you loved?" only serve to confuse. It really is not that complicated nor do those statements provide evidence of a superior argument - it's 'feelings' BS.

Please lengthen your message to at least 7 characters.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#64 Old 27th May 2017 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoofMonkey73
This is really sad.
Screw the haters.

EA own all rights to everything made; so no, creators own nothing and have no right to charge at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#65 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
EA own all rights to everything made; so no, creators own nothing and have no right to charge at all.

The ONLY part of this I have a problem with is having no right to charge at all. Before anyone throws rotten tomatoes at me, let me explain:

Once a package file has been made and shared with other people - it's not yours anymore. EA owns it and they can do whatever they want with it. So can anyone who downloads it - whether you like it or not. (And we all know there are creators who don't like that one bit.) Once EA owns it you've lost any right to profit from what you made, along with anyone who downloads and modifies your creation in any way. Once it's in package form, that's it. Game over, stop trying to make money off of it.* If you want to call it yours? Don't share it, keep it to yourself. Don't send it to a friend, don't put it up for download anywhere, don't let your dog play with it. (That still doesn't mean you own it, but you can say you do all you want since only you know it exists.)

The ONLY exception I see to this: is when a creator makes a mesh from scratch. And by "from scratch" I mean starting with nothing that belongs to EA - no part(s) of an EA mesh, no part(s) of someone else's mesh. If someone starts with a basic shape and ends up with a new kitchen counter? They can do whatever they want with that mesh - sell it, give it away, email it to someone, let their dog play with it. That mesh is theirs, they own it. They made it and the mesh itself has nothing to do with EA and their TOU. Not a damned thing. So if I want to take my from scratch meshes and sell them on Turbosquid or My DogLikesToPlayWithMeshes ? I will, thank you very much, and EA can't say a damned thing about it because nothing of theirs was used to make that mesh. Now.. if the maker of MilkShape has a problem with me/anyone else profiting from their software? That's a whole 'nother story. And.. I'd probably say the same thing applies to textures if asked, but that's a bit trickier. While I do make a lot of my textures, I do tend to take at least a tiny sample of someone else's texture/photograph/whatever and edit them to my liking. Sometimes that's just a few pixels worth (one of my favorite wood textures is a tiny part of a huge photograph that I edited, edited and edited some more - you would never guess what the original looked like by looking at my texture) but those few pixels weren't mine to start with so...

*Please note/know that I do not have a problem with donation links (you know..Paypal and how could I? That would make me one hell of a hypocrite since I have a Paypal link myself, lol), I also don't really have a problem with Patreon even if I don't exactly agree with it (or really understand how people are using it for the Sims.. so who knows if I really have a problem with it or not). It's having to pay - either with real money or clicks that result in someone getting money - to get a download that I have a problem with.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#66 Old 27th May 2017 at 6:16 AM
I'm only talking about sites hosting sims content, so a new kitchen counter for sims 2,3 or 4. Along with "I made this, pay me $5 if you want it." Not referring to donations either.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 27th May 2017 at 2:45 PM
dear RoofMonkey73, it appears you have absolutely misunderstood the meaning of the word "share". You're not sharing if you're putting a price on your cc. You're now selling. There's a clear difference there. Example: "I will share my apple pie with you! - except pay me 5 dollars for it." See, that is not sharing anymore. This is now selling. So they are not gracious enough to share the cc with you, they are 'gracious' enough to sell the cc to you. And to this I say,

Let me add another relevant fact to this argument. Most of these people use EA's content to create their cc (mesh, textures and other assets). So they're using another creator's content, edit it and then make money of it. Many of them do not create from scratch. Not to mention most of these cc creators use free programs. (Such as Blender, absolutely free. Gimp, free too, and all cmarNyc's programs are free too). And what is the most important free program for these creators? S4s. Sims 4 studio developer(s) obviously provided a great service for the whole community by making a very intricate program, and not only did they spent their valuable time creating something far more time demanding they decided to give it for free so the sim community would have a tool to create cc for the community. This is a perfect example of what sharing actually is. If this person doesn't believe that their product should be monetized then any subset of that product doesn't even qualify to merit the monetization either.

There are plenty of wonderful tools given out to us off charge, and plenty of free help, advice, tutorials etc. Yet, these people, using all this free content provided for them, create/convert cc to earn money from it. That is nothing gracious and definitely not the meaning of sharing.
Scholar
#68 Old 27th May 2017 at 4:37 PM
So after reading all the novels posted in this thread I'd really like to push my support for the "email me if you want this / for friends only" angle which, while I find annoying, if I really want the cc and appreciate it I can hopefully contact the creator, express that to them, and maybe get the cc as well as a new friend. ; 3 ;

but also in my experience no one has ever made cc good enough to pay them actual currency for... in my opinion.
I'm just downloading carpets and chairs most of the time though....
never found a carpet or chair that had me straight trippin over it....
Instructor
#69 Old 27th May 2017 at 4:45 PM
just download AdF.ly Skipper addon it skips straight to the download no waiting AND the people using adfly won't get a cent from you!

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Scholar
#70 Old 27th May 2017 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim
just download AdF.ly Skipper addon it skips straight to the download no waiting AND the people using adfly won't get a cent from you!

I have it and use it but I still just leave anyway. The creators I like have already moved most of their stuff off ad.fly anyway.
Instructor
#71 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:05 PM
hehe i only download stuff from one site but you don't want to know where it is. most of them don't use GAYfly but they do loooooove their patreon accounts :P

Top Secret Researcher
#72 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
SNIP I also don't really have a problem with Patreon even if I don't exactly agree with it (or really understand how people are using it for the Sims.. so who knows if I really have a problem with it or not). It's having to pay - either with real money or clicks that result in someone getting money - to get a download that I have a problem with.
The Patreon sim 'sites' I saw had 2 different models (they're pages hosted on Patreon, in fact. Each creator gets his own small space of a couple of pages)
It's either a full paysite: i.e. you have to pay a certain amount per month to access the download, point. There's no alternatives. No dough, no CC. Those have objects and CAS CC. The amount I saw was 10$ per month.
Or it is a 'freemium' model, sorta: you have to wait for an update to get the outaded stuff for free. Or sometimes wait a delay of a few days to get the new stuff. Or make a monthly donation to access everything. Of course that setup only works for mods, big heavy mods that require a lot of maintenance and updates, like that sex mod previously posted or the mc command center. The delay/version model seem to take into account when the update is critical and required to play, you should always have a working version, even if you won't have all the latest features.
So from what I saw all the items sites were full pay, the mods ones were on that wait model. I didn't find any free items/CAS hosted on Patreon. Of course I didn't search as I was shocked enough of the pay ones to not want to search more. I cannot dismiss the freemium model even though there's a lot of problems with it and it IS a grey zone, fully debatable and I do frown on it but it is still better than the full pay ones which are a total no-no for me. Now, I'm no expert in Patreon and I'm an ESL so any Patreon fan/soldier will be deceived as I won't answer any of their pleads/rants. I'll leave that to the other members.

For the person who asked if there was a booty set up for Sims 4, well nope and frankly I don't think there's enough demand. (it's a polite way of saying no one cares). You could try your luck on the russian sharing sites but I didn't see any pay stuff there.
Instructor
#73 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
The Patreon sim 'sites' I saw had 2 different models (they're pages hosted on Patreon, The amount I saw was 10$ per month.

holy fuck WHO is this ripoff merchant? and what idiot would pay $10 a month to access clothing and furniture?!

Test Subject
#74 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I truly support ripping custom content from creators who use adfly and just putting it somewhere more available.

The most beautiful website in the world

And this Site is down right now and so is SimsCave smh
Test Subject
#75 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 11:43 PM
yess i hate it!! ive figured it attaches these annoying pop up ads to my chrome browser that pop up if i have the browser on.. i know how to get rid of them but its annoying because they come back every time if i open an adfly link
Page 3 of 6