Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#51 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 5:29 PM
But why not just release a Sim Online 2 as a side project. Then it can have it's audience for a while and slowly die like the original did.
UI still think they should have released Sims 4/Olympus as Sims Online 2 rather than scrapping the online component so late in development.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
But why not just release a Sim Online 2 as a side project. Then it can have it's audience for a while and slowly die like the original did.

Feel like that the reason alone why they wouldn't release it as a side project. That's like them providings the options to either playing a game monetized mode (filled with loot boxes, microattraction and the other crap) or free one that has qualified game play with no scummy monetization and you name it.

One of their executives/leaders pretty much spouted the non sense that singleplayer games are dead now in the industry and that multiplayer is now the future, and pretty much every word that foam from their mounts with that of course being completely opposite and far from the reality.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
One of their executives/leaders pretty much spouted the non sense that singleplayer games are dead now in the industry and that multiplayer is now the future, and pretty much every word that foam from their mounts with that of course being completely opposite and far from the reality.

That is so ridiculous to hear for that is a statement that 4 is dead after all the declarations of what a success it is. And it clearly shows the exec has no understanding of the game whatsoever and of the players. Same old, same old, same old.................

They do surveys about what a Sim should knit. Maybe they need to do one about how many players want a multi-player game? My guess is about 10-20% at most.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 9:14 PM
I'm mostly worried at the scenario that AncientMuse outlined in post #13. I'm personally not interested in an online, multiplayer game. I think a lot of "core" players aren't either, but I guess they would find new customers if they go for this online/multiplayer route. Guess they gotta make that $$$
Forum Resident
#55 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 9:28 PM
I don't think that the CEO was actually announcing anything. It seemed like a vague speech full of "CEO speak" that was an answer but also not an answer at the same time.
Test Subject
#56 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 9:57 PM
If EA makes the next Sims game multiplayer and only online then I will have to pass on it. I already have trouble with not enough data to do what I want online. I loved TS2 because it was mine alone. Sure I enjoyed posting with other players about my game and getting help when I needed but to have to find friends to play the game with? Naw, that don't work for me. I would use up my data just downloading stuff for TS2 and I have to be careful now with downloading too much for TS4. I doubt EA cares too much about my opinion though...
Mad Poster
#57 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
I don't think that the CEO was actually announcing anything. It seemed like a vague speech full of "CEO speak" that was an answer but also not an answer at the same time.

I think they are considering making an online sims game, just that they probably haven't yet figured out a good formula for it.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 12:22 AM
Sims 1,2,3 were successes. Online was a bust per what I heard. Starting 4 as multi-player was a train wreck. So let's do 5 multi-player! How many times do they have to shoot themselves in the foot to learn anything/something?
Theorist
#59 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
They do surveys about what a Sim should knit. Maybe they need to do one about how many players want a multi-player game? My guess is about 10-20% at most.

You might be right with that. And also considering the problems with Custom Content an online Sims game would have (from what I've read the original TSO didn't have CC?), an online Sims game might actually fail (in the sense of under performing)
They most certainly are thinking about the many ways they could monetize an Online Sims Game with micro-transactions and such. But seriously it would be even more restrictive than Sims 4 is.

One Minute Ninja'd
#60 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 11:37 AM
You might be right with that. And also considering the problems with Custom Content an online Sims game would have (from what I've read the original TSO didn't have CC?), an online Sims game might actually fail (in the sense of under performing)
They most certainly are thinking about the many ways they could monetize an Online Sims Game with micro-transactions and such. But seriously it would be even more restrictive than Sims 4 is.

Do you remember in TS3 that actual singing career that came in a pack I'm blocking on (also a magician and something else)? They made a feature so you could send your "singer" to go play in a friend's game? Of course you couldn't control your sim in real time, or "attend" the concert yourself, but the sims was supposed to come back and tell you in Simlish all about the fun they had? They went with no cc and the sang the same songs at the signing level they achieved in your game as a sim would in your friend's game. As the hair, makeup, and clothes that were cc (which in my gameplay is almost always cc) all they would get on arrival is a random sim with the same singing level, and what traits they had (all 5 of them, which now seems generous). I might as well have just sent a 4 line text message with that data and my friend would have had my sim. They thought that was a breakthrough feature to bring the Sims online to play with your friends.

Can you now picture EA doing an immersive Sims game online? They'll need a keyboard shortcut to insert 'too hard" for as often as they'll need it to respond to their Sims community.
Theorist
#61 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Do you remember in TS3 that actual singing career that came in a pack I'm blocking on (also a magician and something else)? They made a feature so you could send your "singer" to go play in a friend's game? Of course you couldn't control your sim in real time, or "attend" the concert yourself, but the sims was supposed to come back and tell you in Simlish all about the fun they had? They went with no cc and the sang the same songs at the signing level they achieved in your game as a sim would in your friend's game. As the hair, makeup, and clothes that were cc (which in my gameplay is almost always cc) all they would get on arrival is a random sim with the same singing level, and what traits they had (all 5 of them, which now seems generous). I might as well have just sent a 4 line text message with that data and my friend would have had my sim. They thought that was a breakthrough feature to bring the Sims online to play with your friends.

Can you now picture EA doing an immersive Sims game online? They'll need a keyboard shortcut to insert 'too hard" for as often as they'll need it to respond to their Sims community.

And do you remember the screenshots and concept artwork EA made when Sims 4 was still supposed to be online? That one player having the Sims of his 3 friends over for pancakes and asking them how they are. "Meh (grumpy cat emoji)" "Where your cooking skill at?"
I mean who was ever gonna do that? Have their friends' Sims over for a pretend pancake dinner? It was so dumb...
And then there's the inherent problem, even with an "immersive" Sims Online...if you reduce it to it's gameplay the Sims is just everyday life, and I already have one of those, I don't need a digital job in addition to my real one. By myself I can play out ridiculous and over-dramatic telenovelas with my Sims, or have them live in historical times or in the Post Apocalypse. The moment other people are involved a lot of that becomes impossible.
And before people say "but you could play it with your friends!" Yeah no...1)it's difficult enough to work out a schedule for a DND game, what chance does this have 2)Good luck on agreeing what stroyline to play.

it's also fair to consider that an online version of Sims would be a lot more drudging/ job-like than an offline version. A lot of MMOs these days, especially freemium ones try to goad you into doing repetitive task, preferably every day, so that you can unlock something or the other or farm some sort of currency. And you wouldn't be able to use cheats OR mods to alter or remove annoyances with the gameplay.
And you can bet there'd be some sort of in-game economy and a premium currency, which you'd either have to buy or farm very, very slowly (if at all)

So sotrytellers are already out. Builders might run into the problem that they have to use premium currency to unlock additional lots for building (they'd probably get a couple free, and after that premium currency) CC makers are also out, because you can't make sure that everyone has the same CC.
-> Congrats you have an inconvenient version of a Discord Server with Sims running around.

Alchemist
#62 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 4:36 PM
It will 100% be online. They just got cold feet last minute with The Sims 4. There is so much money in social media and online shit etc.

what does his name even mean?
Mad Poster
#63 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
It will 100% be online. They just got cold feet last minute with The Sims 4. There is so much money in social media and online shit etc.

Agreed- I could see EA pulling a closed-garden route with this with an internal marketplace for CC (i.e. hair, clothing, furniture). Game-changing mods could still be allowed, but only for singleplayer mode (online mode would be modless).

Since the modding community is already increasingly moving to Patreon, and popular simmers being pursued by EA's Gamechanger program, I could easily see EA putting 2+2 together, and merging the two systems together.

If they flood the market with enough CC and EA content, people won't complain about the lack of content (and the occasional free tidbit will placate complaints), and they could co-op creators by having them sign onto a 'vetted creator' system, allowing creators to sell their CC or open up subscription/donation systems.

In the end, you end up with a fancier Second Life, but likely a game with huge profit potential as people get hooked in and trapped in a sunk-cost fallacy ("spent so much already, can't walk away").
Theorist
#64 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Game-changing mods could still be allowed, but only for singleplayer mode (online mode would be modless).

If there is a single player mode.
And probably only if those mods don't give you any advantage/added convenience for the online mode. After all in a Free-to-Play model they'd want to inconvenience the player as much as they can while still keeping the game reasonably playable and then sell shortcuts for real money.

Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
There is so much money in social media and online shit etc.

Just think what happens if they go to the ridiculous lows some mobile games sink to in order to make money...

Test Subject
#65 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 9:12 PM
I'm more worried about the live service aspect than multiplayer to be honest, The Sims 4 hasn't really attained live service status, not exactly, yet it's already getting on my nerves with the constant minor updates that do practically nothing except break mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#66 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 11:35 PM
The Sims 3 pack was "Showtime," Eskie. The third career was acrobat.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 11:43 PM
Just think what happens if they go to the ridiculous lows some mobile games sink to in order to make money...

Imagine a sims gatcha game...
Mad Poster
#68 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 12:04 AM
I'm all pro for online sims game.... but only if dog houses aren't available in the game. It's my sandbox and I'm the only one that's suppose to be telling stories.

Just kidding. Every player is gifted with it for free <3 :lovestruc However, no fucking corgies or bald Sims allowed either. Mai sturies.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#69 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 12:30 AM
Comparing to The Sims Online is unfair, that game was from a distant time where they put effort into the series. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't see The SIms 5 Online having an iota of the effort or creativity the older series had. I know, I know. How can I make such claims, especially after new exciting packs based on knitting and washing clothes? Available now, $15.

No, I'd see any attempt at having an online game to be just as buggy as a standard Bethesda game, or maybe more appropriate, their attempts at the series-killing SimCity back in 2013. Throw in a lot of micro-transactions, limit putting in CC, add a sprinkle of that same player real life-despair like in Second Life and you'll have a stew of mediocrity nobody really asked for. To make another analogy: Similar to Fallout 76; defended by some, loathed by many others, forgotten by the majority in a year, servers shut down soon after.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Scholar
#70 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 4:29 AM
Quick questions about online play: 1. can we make babies with other users sims? This seriously could make an interesting and semi awkward 100 baby challenge. and 2. Is there any possibility of purposely killing off someones sim.... I mean can accidents happen to other simmers sims while online?

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 5:11 AM
I mean we don't know any details at this point. It's all speculation.

Personally I would like it if they WERE going to go online, make it an optional singular online hub / small world. We can bowl or chat with simlish emotes / bubbles but can't marry or woohoo etc.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
One Minute Ninja'd
#73 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Imagine a sims gatcha game...

They did that already. Remember the Sims 3 Store and the endless collections of overpriced content, and how some of the content never even worked properly?
Alchemist
#75 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 8:02 PM
When was it that they said something like ''we have 4-5 years of planned content ahead for The Sims 4''. 2016? 2018?

what does his name even mean?
Page 3 of 5