View Full Version : University Trouble!
5th Mar 2005, 03:22 AM
Gah! Whenever I try to install University, (which has been like 20 times!) after the installing was about 65% finished, this message pops up all of the sudden:
A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file ‘D:\TSBin\Sims2EP1.exe’ from the media.
Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?
Whenever I click retry, it just keeps on comming up with the same message, repeating itself forever. My computers are virus-free, and they both have the same problem! There are no hacks on them either, just custom walls, furniture, and floors all made by me. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how it could be fixed? Thanks!
5th Mar 2005, 03:42 AM
... Sounds like you got a Bum disc... but try disabling your antivirus software during the install... I had the installation stop at 64% and when I disabled my antivirus software the problem was solved...
If that doesn't work, I reccomend returning the game :/
5th Mar 2005, 04:04 AM
Well, my Norton Anti-Virus security is disabled already, I probably had a Bum disc...
6th Mar 2005, 10:03 PM
I've had the same problem....with two different copies.
The first one stopped at 66% with that same file, and this second one stops at 63% with the support files. This is really a bunch of crap, and I am superbly pissed.
6th Mar 2005, 10:43 PM
My installation stops copying at TSData\Control1.dat. The installer refers to files Control1.dat-Control4.dat. After looking at the contents of the CD, there is only one file: Control0.dat on the disk.
Update: I found those files on the second CD, but the installer never prompts for insertion of the second disk - it just hangs forever. I tried changing CD's anyway, but the installer was dead in the water. I'm going to try copying all the installer files from both CD's to the HD first and see what happens.
Bwahahaha. Maxis installer piece of crap (in fairness, it's probably EA that fuxored the installer, not Maxis). I managed to thwart their complete and total ineptitude though. Will follow this post up later with a short little "how-to".
I can't guarantee this will solve everyone's problem, but it may solve some. You should have some clue how to operate your computer (create folders, copy files, use WinZip) before attempting this. If not, stop here, and return your CD to the store. I can't support this or be responsible for anyone who shoots themselves in the head trying this, so proceed at your own peril :)
1. Insert Disc 1 into your CD-ROM
2. On your C: drive create a new folder under C:\ I'll call it "Sims2EP1_1". I don't think it matters what you call it. I just picked the name of the CD. EASUX is probably just as good a name as any.
3. Copy the entire contents of Disc 1 to C:\Sims2EP1_1.
4. Insert Disc 2 into your CD-ROM
5. Copy all BUT the following files from Disc 2 to C:\Sims2EP1_1:
6. The next part requires some care. You need to extract the contents of compressed.zip from Disc 2 to your C:\ drive. You will need a tool like WinZip 9.0 (www.winzip.com) to do this. If you have no idea how to use WinZip, you are already in over your head. Stop now. This will create 3 new folders:
7. Next, go back to the C:\Sims2EP1_1 folder you created in Step 2. Open the file compressed.zip using WinZip. Click Add. Make sure "include sub folders" and "include full path" are both checked. Browse to C:\CSBin folder (you must actually go into the C:\CSBin folder - don't just highlight it or you'll end up adding the contents of your entire hard drive). Then click on Add With Wildcards. After a few moments, WinZip will have added the contents of C:\CSBin.
8. Repeat step 7 for C:\TSBin and C:\TSData. When you are finished, the compressed.zip file in your C:\Sims2EP1_1 will be 760,160KB.
9. Close WinZip
10. Go into your C:\Sims2EP1_1 folder and run AutoRun.exe. And off you go.
8th Mar 2005, 04:13 AM
i tried copying the CD and pasting it onto my harddrive but it still didn't work. something is wrong with the file TSBin\Sims2EP1.exe, this is the file that stopped installation and it also stopped the copying. is there any way of fixing this, or do i just have a bum disk?
vBulletin v3.0.14, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.