Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#7201 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:04 AM
The thing EA needs to take note is consistency and balance between expansion packs. I felt the Sims 2 had that sort of consistency by having so many additional features as the expansion packs progress and no expansion pack feels lesser than the other (unless if your own preferences say otherwise). The Sims 3 however didn't have that balance nor consistency, WA and Ambitions's additions were really minor compared to that of ITF and University, Generations felt like a stuff pack with additional interactions which could have been suitable for the base game and Late Night and Showtime (aka Late Night 2.0) was quite disappointing since the additional features could have been formed into one good expansion pack... I really liked the whole urban/night life/ celebrity motif.

Yes, I know EA/Maxis used a new engine for TS3 however they didn't display enough quality nor quantity into TS3 as they would have preferred... even though I have my full support for the Sims 4, however I'm quite worried about the balance of the EPs for these next 5 years.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#7202 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Animator606432
Of course EA doesn't have a specific time in which they have to release information about the game. No one is throwing out some arbitrary time in which EA HAS to release information but however there are two things.

1. EA has said time and time again they WILL release information soon. I think a reasonable person expects "soon" to actually be, ya know, soon. Not a month before the release of the game. If EA didn't want people to expect the game at a certain time, they shouldn't tell us information is coming out soon. Just don't bother to tell us anything at all.

2. Releasing information about the game all at once is a really stupid idea and has a greater chance at back lashing then anything else. The reason entertainment venues like to release information about their product prior to their release is so hype is built up. If people are excited about your product way before it's release there is a greater chance of them spreading it via word of mouth. There is also a chance to capture a wider audience with advertisement as well. If they just fling out a bunch of information RIGHT before the game comes they not only lose the chance to reach a wider audience but also will overload fans with WAY to much information at once. You need to give people a chance to digest the new info and really examine if that will affect if they purchase the game or not.

Also, what makes you so sure information will be released before the release date? Honest to god, we are technically BEFORE the release date and yet...nothing. Not even a crumb to go by. Yes it would make since for EA to release information about the game before the release date but..well, nothing EA has done so far has made a bit of damn sense to me.

I never said that EA would only start releasing information a month before release. Just that they could.

And of course there will be information before the release date otherwise their game just won't sell. They might not be good at giving you what you want sometimes but they're not idiotic.
Top Secret Researcher
#7203 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90
but they're not idiotic.

I take it you haven't played any of their games.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Lab Assistant
#7204 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 3:11 PM
I never said that EA would only start releasing information a month before release. Just that they could.

And of course there will be information before the release date otherwise their game just won't sell. They might not be good at giving you what you want sometimes but they're not idiotic.

I didn't say you DID. I was saying doing that is a bad idea if EA did something like that.

And SADLY, I have to disagree with you on EA not being idiotic. I can point to multiple examples that prove otherwise. Dating all the way in the late 90's when they fucked up Ultima to what they are doing now with the Sims 4.
Field Researcher
#7205 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 3:55 PM
I'm not very familiar with E3 but could they have some kind of contract to show their product there first? Or it is not the way it works? If that is the case it means we have to wait two months more. I don't know what to think anymore.
Forum Resident
#7206 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 3:58 PM
I didn't say you DID. I was saying doing that is a bad idea if EA did something like that.

And SADLY, I have to disagree with you on EA not being idiotic. I can point to multiple examples that prove otherwise. Dating all the way in the late 90's when they fucked up Ultima to what they are doing now with the Sims 4.

In your opinion. I have played multiple EA games. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Sims 1, Sims 2, console sims games and more.

In my opinion what they did with Sims 3 was idiotic but that doesn't make the company as a whole idiotic.

If you really have such dislike for them I suggest you buy no more of their games, including Sims 4.
Lab Assistant
#7207 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 4:47 PM
In your opinion. I have played multiple EA games. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Sims 1, Sims 2, console sims games and more.

In my opinion what they did with Sims 3 was idiotic but that doesn't make the company as a whole idiotic.

If you really have such dislike for them I suggest you buy no more of their games, including Sims 4.

How did you even come to the conclusion that I bought any of their products? Just because I played the Sims 3 doesn't mean I bought it. Also, I know it's an opinion. That's why I said I to disagree with you, not that you were wrong. Plus, even if I don't buy any of their products that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on their flawed business practices. As I said, I have more problems with EA besides the stupid shit that was done with the Sims 3.
Retired
retired moderator
#7208 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 6:16 PM
Let's just watch ourselves here guys, and remember that the posting guidelines explicitly rule out condoning theft of intellectual property, if that's what you're getting at Animator. It's not more okay when it's done with a little wink and a nudge, so tread carefully.

On the other hand, everyone here has a right to an opinion. This isn't a "who knows EA best" competition, and we can surely agree to disagree on claims like whether or not EA is "idiotic", rather than risk derailing the thread over it.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#7209 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 6:19 PM
The balance and distribution of expansion packs in Sims 3 was just awful. First we got adventures and traveling then came ambitions then late night and those have absolutely nothing much in common. Also don't get me started on that first we get vampires in Late Night and then "improved" in Supernatural, why do one in Late Night then? Sims 3 was a complete fiasco in all it's ways while IMO Sims 2 was a bit more balanced on expansion packs matter. Sims 1 too.
Forum Resident
#7210 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 6:24 PM
How did you even come to the conclusion that I bought any of their products? Just because I played the Sims 3 doesn't mean I bought it. Also, I know it's an opinion. That's why I said I to disagree with you, not that you were wrong. Plus, even if I don't buy any of their products that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on their flawed business practices. As I said, I have more problems with EA besides the stupid shit that was done with the Sims 3.

That's fair enough if you don't want to buy their products, of course you're allowed an opinion on their business practices - but to me, if the games are good and well supported that is all that matters. (Unless of course they have Securom ruining your system, and other such nonsense)

I'm just a little tired of all the whining in the gaming community (in general) - it's sort of ridiculous sometimes. If a developer chooses to take something in a different direction than they want it's torches and pitchforks. Nobody even knows what the Sims 4 is going to be like, so all it takes is a little patience rather than complaining on a forum and coming up with the worst possible outcomes.
Mad Poster
#7211 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 6:33 PM
This is EA we're talking about though. The worst possible outcome happens with them more often than not XD
Mad Poster
#7212 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 7:34 PM
I have grown cynical with EA lately and fear how Sims 4 may turn out. I do hope that the information they release for Sims 4 will prove me wrong and give me lots of egg on my face but I don't have much hope for it. I have lost all faith that my favorite game will ever be as great, not like when they released Sims 2. It still breaks my heart.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#7213 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
This is EA we're talking about though. The worst possible outcome happens with them more often than not XD

That does seem to be the case lately.

I'm hoping now that Maxis is back on board with the series that it will be stronger, but we can only wait and see.
Top Secret Researcher
#7214 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 8:41 PM
Yeah, I'm just spoiled by the company who makes my strategy games, who give plenty of info about games before they're out, complete with developer diaries, shots of gameplay, and programmers who answer questions.

With EA, it's like a state secret that they've got the newest incarnation of their biggest franchise coming out this fall. Shhh!
Retired
retired moderator
#7215 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 8:44 PM
Maxis has always been on board, it was acquired by EA long, long ago, and a few of the staff are still there from when Maxis was Maxis. Maxis isn't back, the brand was brought back, presumably because it has much better brand currency than EA Play had, but it's still just EA Play, renamed Maxis, and unfortunately fooling quite a few people into thinking there's been some kind of ideological change with the brand switch..

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7216 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 8:48 PM
Also I don't see anything specially good about the Maxis brand since they bought out Bullfrog and instantly abandoned Theme Hospital.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#7217 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Also I don't see anything specially good about the Maxis brand since they bought out Bullfrog and instantly abandoned Theme Hospital.

I didn't know this and it kinda makes me mad since Theme Hospital is one of my favorite games.. ever.
Scholar
#7218 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:23 PM
You can count me in with the whole Theme Hospital love-fest - that was an epic game; I still play it now!! Love building up my own NHS-fail healthcare system - complete with vomit in the lobby, caretakers who quit on the spot, reckless doctors and patients dying in the toilets .... ah, good times, good times... *sobs*

In Sims4 related news, someone took SimsVIP's Sim from Gamescom and gave it a makeover/comparison/how cool would this look with CC-kinda thing; I saw it on her Twitter feed and thought I'd share the direct link: http://daddygrahn.tumblr.com/post/8...-4th-generation

Thoughts?

...Titanium white...
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#7219 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:28 PM
That's fair enough if you don't want to buy their products, of course you're allowed an opinion on their business practices - but to me, if the games are good and well supported that is all that matters. (Unless of course they have Securom ruining your system, and other such nonsense)

I'm just a little tired of all the whining in the gaming community (in general) - it's sort of ridiculous sometimes. If a developer chooses to take something in a different direction than they want it's torches and pitchforks. Nobody even knows what the Sims 4 is going to be like, so all it takes is a little patience rather than complaining on a forum and coming up with the worst possible outcomes.
We must have very different interpretations of "well supported". If you mean game breaking flaws that either take years to get fixed, or never get fixed at all, then, sure, it's "well supported".

As for the whining in the gaming community, and it's perceived ridiculousness, remember that without that community, there would be no games, since, at the end of the day, the games are a product being sold to a customer base. What you call "whining" I call "feedback". It only makes good business sense to pay attention to what your customers are saying.

I said it a long time ago, but EA doesn't deserve my patience anymore, nor the benefit of the doubt.
Instructor
#7220 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
In Sims4 related news, someone took SimsVIP's Sim from Gamescom and gave it a makeover/comparison/how cool would this look with CC-kinda thing; I saw it on her Twitter feed and thought I'd share the direct link: http://daddygrahn.tumblr.com/post/8...-4th-generation

Thoughts?

That image is about as useful as concept art in determining how CC will look, since it's as far as I can tell it's a piece of art, not a manipulation of the original image.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Instructor
#7221 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
Thoughts?

At least the pic shows that also the 4th generation will probably look horrible without the help of modders... oh no, they call it cartoony.

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Scholar
#7222 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:54 PM
Man.. This thread turned into a debate... Let's all not argue each other please.. It's like I got argued with some random guy at Grand Theft Auto Forums..

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Mad Poster
#7223 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RomerJon17
Man.. This thread turned into a debate... Let's all not argue each other please.. It's like I got argued with some random guy at Grand Theft Auto Forums..

But TS4 is all about emotions, it's good people are getting them emotions out.
Scholar
#7224 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
But TS4 is all about emotions, it's good people are getting them emotions out.
Better than TS3. xD

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Mad Poster
#7225 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 10:13 PM
Absent of any real information, all that's left is debate. Or abandon the forum. Make your choice.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Locked thread
Page 289 of 817