Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:45 PM
Default Boat Docks
If you own a lot with a dock can you dock your house boat there ?

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:08 PM
How do you make boat docks? And it is only limited to commercial lots or can you make one on a residential lot?

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
How do you make boat docks? And it is only limited to commercial lots or can you make one on a residential lot?

I added one under foundations in build mode to my lot with water access but I can't dock my houseboat there.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 1:14 AM
I copied the docks from Isla Paradissed to the library and plopped them down in Sunlit Tidal Pool. Can dock houseboats to them no problemo. What I'm not happy about is that I can't add a mooring post to either the houseboat or the dock. Guess I'll have to keep the seadoos in my pants pockets. Hope they don't scratch up the finish on the sports cars I keep in there.

Eman, I don't think what you're after will work, as a houseboat is a residential lot, and you can't have two residential lots on the same lot.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
dodgy builder
#5 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 7:00 AM
I experimented a lot with port lots when I made stranda. I don't remember it all now, but I have them listed under cafe lots as community and a couple of residential lots. I listed the cafe type lot as being rabbithole like. I wonder if the boat itself can be residential, while I made the port a community lot type. I don't remember now. They are two different lots. The biggest problem with the port is the share size of the thing as I remember. Because of that it needs to be made as a port from scratch, and you do need a port to moor a houseboat at. It also has a depth requirement I had to work with on Stranda.

I remember trying a cafe houseboat as a cafe, but it didn't have a driver and couldn't be driven, so it was rather pointless.

I'm not English, so your words confuse me a bit
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 11:35 AM
There is a post by SimGuruGraham somewhere at the official forum that answers this question with a maybe. Technically it is possible to dock a houseboat at a dock and then rezone this dock to residential and then purchase it. But he emphasises that this is not standard and while technically possible can lead to unknown results.
#7 Old 1st Jan 2015 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I copied the docks from Isla Paradissed to the library and plopped them down in Sunlit Tidal Pool. Can dock houseboats to them no problemo. What I'm not happy about is that I can't add a mooring post to either the houseboat or the dock. Guess I'll have to keep the seadoos in my pants pockets. Hope they don't scratch up the finish on the sports cars I keep in there.

Eman, I don't think what you're after will work, as a houseboat is a residential lot, and you can't have two residential lots on the same lot.

Good tip about the dock!

I keep a boat trailer "below deck" (aka, "make a basement") on my houseboat to store my runabout.
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 1:21 AM
There's a tutorial on how to build boat docks on the SIMS 3 website.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...4.page#11001926

Basically...

In edit town, put a lot half in the water and half out.
Make a foundation from the ocean to the land and not from the land to the ocean (the pillar type looks the best)
Add steps to step up to the dock, but you have to use the <alt> key to place a three step step and not a four step step
Go into buy debug and get a rampart to put on the dock. The rampart has the maximum size of the houseboat.