Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 10:09 AM
No.

Quite the opposite, like HP said, it's not as "intuitive" and "tactile" and easy to make the sim you want.

But then again, we've always relied on CC for the finer details.

Someone for the love of God, release a min-max adjuster ala TS3 sliders style when this thing is released.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 10:18 AM
I've always been getting the game. I enjoy the demo a lot and will be playing it some more - it's great so far.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 11:30 AM Last edited by insane_in_charlie_shirt : 13th Aug 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Not really. From the minute they started showing off this amazing new CAS I was put off. It just seemed like a heap of trouble in a shiny gimmicky form that'd probably cause more irritation that the existing screen. And then there's the fact that you have to click onto different 'styles' of eye, nose etc. to get to be able to manipulate and alter the part you want to look how you want it (no ability to select eyelashes without changing eye style etc.). It's just pointlessly fiddly? Also, have fun if you're not visually inclined trying to figure this stuff out. And make a sim look good from the front only to see they're a mutant fish man from the side!

But I get the merits. It's a cleaner looking system and it looks like it's easier. And I've enjoyed playing it a lot. You get used to working around the faults and about the limitations in the sliders, but it's still fiddly. (I also don't get why they couldn't have an option/detail menu with access to the sliders for those who'd rather use them. And it makes me wonder how custom sliders are going to work?)

It was enjoyable though, and it could turn into something good over time. So what it did was bring me back to my default opinion. It'll be a fun game. But it might not be worth it. So it kinda swayed me into a less negative mood, but it hasn't encouraged me to go out and preorder.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Scholar
#29 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 11:48 AM
No while the new CAS is interesting it doesn't make up for the oodles of cut content that are things that were present in base game Sims 1, 2, and 3 ... just no a shiny UI does not make up for the mess that they have made out of this game
Field Researcher
#30 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:10 PM
Nope.avi

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Mad Poster
#31 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:14 PM
It made me hate it more.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Alchemist
#32 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:18 PM
No. Not that I thought it would. For one, I'm not picky about making a Sim. Most of my Sims are made in 10 minutes or less. Not hours like some of you have said you do.
Secondly, I can live without toddlers and pools but not without an open world and story progression.
Test Subject
#33 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:40 PM
I downloaded the demo yesterday. I was pretty unsure about getting the game or not, though the release date has been in the back of my head for some time now. I played the sims 1, 2, and 3 games, with expansion packs and all. I wasn't sure if I could afford to go through yet another set of expansion packs, ect. But then I started playing the demo. OMG, it's kind of amazing! I can't wait to see what sort of CC people put up, and I hope the programs are easy enough to navigate for someone who is computer illiterate like me. I've always had great ideas for CC, but I was always nervous about meshing. But the SIms 4 demo made it the gameplay and such so easy! I only wish you could do the push/pull thing with hair, that would be awesome.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:50 PM
I liked the demo, but I'd have to play the game itself to make a decision.
It just has the CAS, which is only a small part of the much bigger game!

But, given the features they took away, I could guess that I wouldn't like the game so much...

Crocs with socks
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 1:27 PM
Not really.I had the demo before but I'm still not convinced.

It's basically the whole game,all we've heard about is CAS and new emotions.

What if we are all sims and are being controlled by a crazy kid?
PROOF:In our Sims game we can play the Sims on our computer,you know now why you go somewhere and just forget what you were doing.
Instructor
#36 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 1:35 PM
Nope. Finally I can now understand how difficult it is to "sculpt" a sim. There's a lot of resistance when you push and pull, you don't know what does what, sometimes it's not what I expect to move, mouse movement doesn't always match what happens on the screen... Colour choices aren't great. Makeup is terrible.. Sometimes the eyes look a bit derpy. You have to select a pre-made shape that has features you want otherwise you can't do it. Can't adjust eye lashes, they're tied to the pre-made eye shape... I would prefer to have sliders as an option or at least a description of the moving parts. I wish they had more neutral faces. The walks are stupid. I'll second the weird way the jaw drops when they talk.

You get the gist of it, the list goes on and on. Even with all this complaining, I still think they look somewhat charming but that doesn't make me want to buy at all.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 1:37 PM
Also when that women was showing us what CAS was in the first place she said it was just like playing with clay.What sort of clay was she playing with? o_0

What if we are all sims and are being controlled by a crazy kid?
PROOF:In our Sims game we can play the Sims on our computer,you know now why you go somewhere and just forget what you were doing.
Theorist
#38 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 1:41 PM
It seems okay. I liked some things about the CAS--again we are limited to just YA and whatever was on the demo.

I guess we have to stop comparing and give it a try on its own before deciding. I did not like Sims 3 when it came out but with mods, it's very good.

However, I am not spending 70 or 60 dollars on this game. I will wait until the price goes down. If it flops, it will be cheap soon enough.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#39 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 1:59 PM
Like almost everything Sims 4, the concept was neat but there needed to be more options. I'm still not buying for at least a year- maybe never, if free content patches aren't released (though I know I'll likely get it as a gift sometime). Poor Elayna Fletcher; she's likely never to be played with unless some kind soul downloads her. One thing I thought was funny is that apparently even the UI is still in denial about the cuts- look at the top left, where the age groups are. The teen icon is still shorter than the adult/elder ones.
Test Subject
#40 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:19 PM
Yes. It made me realize that the new CAS isn't as super amazing as I thought it would be. They basically just moved the "sliders" directly onto the sims, and now they're kind of hard to see. Though I did like that we have much more control over the body, it seems to me we have if anything, fewer controls on the face.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:23 PM
Nope. Didn't change my option at all. For the very few tiny things I actually liked about it there's been little to no progress made and great big giant leaps backwards.

If we're going to have to go back to the Sims 2 way of doing clothing then the game is gonna get bloated very quickly and loading will most likely slow to a crawl. Just the shirt set I'm working on now would be well over 150 files if I just made it in the colors of the rainbow. That's just one shirt from one artist. Multiply that by hundreds or thousands of artists and imagine how bloated the game is going to be.

Not to mention that it makes more work for the people who are really supporting the game. Now if you want a logo shirt you put the logo on the shirt, upload it and people can make the shirt any color or pattern they desire without bothering the artist with "hey can you make this with a blue shirt?". So that is a huge step back in terms of custom content. Many people quit due to the constant updating with Sims 3. What do you think is going to happen when a year down the road EA realizes "hey we can sell these suckers CAST again for $60" after people have done so much work? I know I'd be pissed and rightly so.

The few things I did like were the fact that you can filter clothing by types such as t-shirt, polo shirt, etc. That was a nice little addition. And the walk styles can add some personality to certain Sims if used right. But then I realized I was stuck with a red t-shirt and black and blue shorts because they were the only options that fit which could have very easily been fixed with CAST. What? There's no CAST. But your Sims have...

Emotions! Whoop-dee-freaking-doo. I didn't care what my Sims were felling in Sims 1 or 2 or 3 and I sure as hell don't give a flying flock of seagulls what they feel now. Go eat something, but I'm depressed, then kill yourself then because if you don't start doing what you're told I'm gonna lock you in a room with no doors and set it on fire and see what that does for your depression.
Instructor
#42 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:27 PM
I hope the demo stays free forever. I don't plan to get the game, but I enjoy making the actors and come up with their stories in my head. I'd do the same with drawing, but my drawing skills are not too great, lol.

P.S. I still hate the male sims' thigh muscles.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:30 PM
Just played with the demo for a while - I love it! I'm excited to see more content once the full game is released. I am super pumped about the characters we can create, the detail we can fiddle with, and I'm excited about what our amazing community will produce as CC. I had a lot of fun looking through the gallery, I do really enjoy that we can just click and they're in our game, without having to leave and install. I've already had a look for some of my favourite characters/people and there are some amazing creators and creations out there already!

Does it change my mind about the game? No. I was already excited about CAS, but the demo confirmed my hopes and even demolished some of my worries (that we have a default walk is a relief, I'm not keen on most of those exaggerated things). I'm standing by what I knew I'd do as soon as I saw rumours of TS4 - I'm buying the base game. If it's awesome in its own right, I'll be stoked. If it's not what I hoped, I'm not wasting money on EPs. That's what I felt with TS3 and after seeing the hideous glowing art and half-arsed interactions, I left that game at the base and pets. Counting down the days until game release, I'm looking forward to watching my characters in game.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:32 PM
The demo definitely swayed me to the 'I'll wait until the game is affordable and then yeah, I'll probably buy it' side. When I heard that pools and toddlers weren't included I was *not* impressed, I'd pretty much decided to stick to TS2, but I got to try the demo out today and I really enjoyed it! I found it much easier to make attractive sims then in TS3, and I found the CAS itself a lot more engaging as well. That said, the game play really needs to be stellar to make up for missing the toddlers (will children just go from baby to child? urgh... still not sold on that). If I could get my hands on a full review of the gameplay, or a video (that would be even better) of actual, live gameplay so that I can have a look at what we're actually getting for our £60, then I'd be more able to make a decision. I love the potential in the build mode, but the tiny world thing is something I'd have to see in action first before I buy it.
Test Subject
#45 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:37 PM
I wasn't very excited for Sims 4, namely because of all of the lag and optimization issues associated with Sims 3. The Sims 3 was a game I wanted to (and did eventually) love, in spite of its flaws. Though, I felt like The Sims 3 never really had a very good foundation, and with the addition of expansion packs built on top of it, the minor issues became more serious. The cracks in the foundation showed.

I started to change my mind when I got my hands on the Sims 4 CAS Demo. The new CAS is a seriously powerful tool, and very well designed, imo. It took me probably a couple weeks to master the controls of pushing and pulling and adjusting, but once I did, I was surprised by how much character I could put into my sims! The base structure and organization of CAS shows me that they really thought about how to design it and build a better CAS from the ground up.

I am guessing that this new CAS is probably what cost us toddlers and CASt. If you look at how many options are available for just the young adult sims and how malleable they are in creation, it becomes pretty clear that a huge amount of work went into the creation of the new CAS. That same amount of options and malleability would have had to go into each life stage that required a different template. Not only that, but all of the association required between features saying this nose turns into that nose when they age up, etc. I think they kept teen, adult, and elder stages, because those life stages probably require the same or similar meshes/animations as the young adult stage. If they needed to cut a stage out from a work load standpoint, they would have had to cut out toddler or child. While I will miss toddlers, I can understand why they made this decision.

While CASt allowed for a huge amount of choices, each of those choices is something additional that the game had to remember while running. I do think this probably contributed to the lagginess of The Sims 3. While I will miss some of the choices, I feel like a lot more care was put into the hairstyles and clothing options/color choices in the new Sims 4 CAS vs. previous iterations. They seem to have gone for quality over quantity, and I really appreciate that. I no longer have to scroll through pages of ugly outfits to get to one that I like. I don't have to scroll through 90,000 ugly hairstyles with hats that I will never use! I can sort things by color and style, and I can use clothing from any category in any outfit if I remove the filters. These are quality of life changes that I feel were long overdue for the Sims franchise as a whole!

After seeing the changes they made to CAS to make it run/work/look better, I am really looking forward to seeing what they have done with the rest of the game! Ultimately I hope they were honest in what they said and that they have been working on the foundation of the game so it can be easily built upon with future expansions and stuff packs. I think this kind of forethought is very important and was, to some extent, lacking in The Sims 3. I also think there is proof they are doing this, what with allowing you to move any family to any new neighborhood, all while keeping your relationships/jobs/etc. intact! I also think it was really time for them to update all of the animations, and hearing that they did that makes me super excited! That was also a lot of work that multiple people had to be paid to work on.

I don't think anybody really wants to go back to laggy generational play, hour long loading screens, and games that became so bloated they were too big to save. If I have to give up things to ultimately fix that (hopefully temporarily), then so be it.

I know a lot of people have said they found the new the new sims too cartoony, but I think you can get a wide range from cartoony to realistic with the new CAS. I know a lot of you won't agree with me, but this is just my honest opinion. I have also really enjoyed using the new Color Magic tool to make CC for the Sims 4. I think this tool will really give me the range I am looking for as far as colors and styles when it comes to CAS.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 2:41 PM
Another note: I dunno if it'll mean anything to anyone one here but...

If anyone happens to be from the Petz community, familiar with Petz Workshop - I keep holding down Ctrl and Alt while dragging body parts trying to get them to move up/down or side/side haha. I think that would've been a good addition, but I think we'll work out how to manipulate features with practice. I was playing on my laptop with the pad, no mouse, and found it easy enough.
Test Subject
#47 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:04 PM
Yes, I was deciding between buying a naga hex mouse and Sims 4. I only had enough mad money to buy one and CAS decided it for me. I liked the sims. The demo ran super smooth compared to both the Sims 2 & 3 CAS on the same computer. I like the art style. Finally they are starting to use more main stream fashions. Some of the fashions used in Sims 3 were just down right bizarre. I'm a casual gamer, I prefer to play my own way and I don't let popular opinion get in the way of enjoying a game. I have been playing ESO since beta despite the raging hate storm around it and love the game to pieces. I'm pretty confident Sims 4 will fall in the same category for me at least, popular to hate but fun to play.
Theorist
#48 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The ventriloquist puppet jaw-flapping is really unpleasant to watch as they speak, and really takes otherwise nice-looking sims and makes them look lifeless and downright creepy.

There was something about the way their mouths moved that bothered me. Just couldn't place it, but that's exactly it.

I didn't care too much for some of the animations in Sims 3 either though, some of their expressions, their lips would deform and I hated the way their noses snarled (best way I can describe it).

The demo didn't really change my mind about the game. It's pretty much as I expected as I was jealous and followed closely everything the early birds said about it.

It did change my opinion on something I speculated, but I no longer believe is true, or at least not completely true, and that's the cuts to Sims 4 was to make something slimmer and lighter that could run on tablets and mobile devices. I tried the demo on my tablets, and although it does work with decent performance, there are a lot of touch glitches that indicates touchscreen use was NOT a big concern with the game. It also uses a lot of RAM, enough that a warning message pops up. That actually wasn't a problem, but if CAS-only is eating that much RAM, the full game will certainly use more. Although one thing does still have me wondering if tablets was on the back of their minds at least, because pinch to zoom with 2 fingers works perfectly. Could just be Windows 8.1 automatically maps pinch to zoom to the mouse wheel function, who knows?

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:51 PM
Not really. I had sort of already made up my mind to try this game. I'm a loyal, die-hard Sims 2'er and when Sims 3 came out, I wasn't crazy about the sims themselves, but I did get the base game and at least try it. I ended up hating it. But, there's more about the Sims 4 that intrigues me than turns me off. The pool and toddler issues don't upset me really. I hardly use my pools in TS2 and as for toddlers, it's my least favorite lifestage. I see Sims 4 as a return to Sims 1, but with improved Sims 3 graphics, and I'm okay with that. I adored both Sims 1 and Sims 2. So, I guess I'm really asking myself if I'll cough up the dough right away for this game or wait til it comes down in price, but I will eventually get Sims 4.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 4:18 PM
Nope. Like we have stated in several topics, we are not buying Sims 4 until it is less than $20 and has some of the removed things readded in free patches first.
This game does not look fun as is. CAS demo did not make us want it either, was okay to try but if my computer can't do demo, how will it like the game?

We are a Mom and 24 year old Daughter who love Sims 2, Sims 1, Sims 3 and Sims 4, respectively.
We also share videos of our games on our YouTube channel.
Page 2 of 5