Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#10626 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:13 PM
It's amazing how the game becomes more of a joke each day. Did they get all their marketing data from telemetry and non-simmer focus groups or something?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#10627 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:14 PM
This might or might not be fitting, but I see Simba as TS4 and Mufasa as TS1-3.
http://youtu.be/O7fXfCZ4sB4

Kudaku lari gagah berani~
Field Researcher
#10628 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:14 PM
I posted that tweet about the "evil showers" on the official forums, and some perky youngster piped up and said, "Yes, I loved the evil showers, those were hilarious!"

I'm gettin' too old for this shit, I tell ya...
just a girl
#10629 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:16 PM Last edited by Lamare : 25th Jul 2014 at 5:23 PM. Reason: quote
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
Was Grant responsible for the Daredevil trait? The trait that was so damned useless because it was nothing BUT renamed interactions with one unique animation which was eating worms to gross out another sim?

http://www.raymazza.com/game-design...s-in-the-sims-3
Here's the man responsible. Well, one of those.

See this part about why useless traits are popular:
Quote:
We learned a strong lesson from seeing Great Kisser in the top 3. This was one of the traits surrounded by controversy about whether it had enough gameplay value to warrant its existence. All it did was give your Sims better chances of having their kisses go well with other Sims. It’s not actually a big advantage. In the world of strategy gaming, this would be a poor choice. However, Sims games don’t find their places in players’ hearts because of the strategy – instead, it’s all about the creativity, fiction, and storytelling power – and this is why Great Kisser is so popular.
Field Researcher
#10630 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:16 PM
Was Grant responsible for the Daredevil trait? The trait that was so damned useless because it was nothing BUT renamed interactions with one unique animation which was eating worms to gross out another sim?

Apparently, the Daredevil trait is useful if your Sim is a firefighter. Being around fire so much means they'll constantly be in a great mood.

I'm not saying it's a great addition to the game, but at least it does have some relevance to the gameplay.
Mad Poster
#10631 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:17 PM
Was Grant responsible for the Daredevil trait? The trait that was so damned useless and nothing BUT renamed interactions with one unique animation which was eating worms to gross out another sim?

One thing I liked about that trait was I could send my Daredevil sim to catch deathfish in the cemetery and he would be totally blasé about it - even chatted autonomously with the ghosts and could invite them back to the house.

Something I didn't like so much about the Daredevil trait was their predilection to fool around with the fire in the fireplace and set themselves and their homes on fire. And then be like - oh my god, I'm on fire! but not try to put themselves out.
Theorist
#10632 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:20 PM
To me it's not that the entire trait was useless, but substituting changed text for actual animations or useful effects was ridiculous.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#10633 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well I think he's just doing it for fun, but I guess it's a kind of good natured trolling.

Tip your waitress, eh? What a randomly coincidental comment...
Field Researcher
#10634 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:26 PM
I was watching the old PK mockups and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0
at 1:27 - did no one ever think to get rid of the highlight when clicking on sims? That's so annoying. The more I look at the mockups, it really doesn't look like they changed much at all...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10635 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
To me it's not that the entire trait was useless, but substituting changed text for actual animations or useful effects was ridiculous.

Time taken up with something that added no play value. But I guess the menu-writing team had time on their hands in TS3 just like the effects team did in TS4.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10636 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:29 PM
There are more perks for the Daredevil trait with all EPs installed. I can't remember all of them at the moment since it's been some time now since I played one, but there are many occasions where they will receive a special moodlet for being daring (Hold Breath Contests, for example), they will be attracted to the bull ride and can only choose to use it on the hardest difficulty, some ITF interactions are also tagged as being especially for Daredevils and there are some cross-relations if a Daredevil has certain other traits. Plus it has some massive influence on their autonomous behaviour. So it's not more useless than other traits.
#10637 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:30 PM
I wish I was a SimGuru then I'd get hundreds of favorites and retweets for everything I tweeted.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#10638 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:32 PM
I wish I was a SimGuru then I'd get hundreds of favorites and retweets for everything I tweeted.

There, there, Inge. You're one of Grant's favorites.
Theorist
#10639 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:33 PM
Grant? Trolling? The same guy that said supernaturals weren't in the basegame, and didn't even know what was considered supernatural? /rollseyes
#10640 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:35 PM
Graham won't be very pleased with Grant - I think Graham wanted to keep the restaurant as a surprise.

Theorist
#10641 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:36 PM
Graham won't be very pleased with Grant - I think Graham wanted to keep the restaurant as a surprise.

Did I just read the last couple pages and missed a restaurant being added/announced? O_o I'm sleepier than I thought.
Top Secret Researcher
#10642 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:39 PM
Can Grant exit stage left?

'Tip your waitress!'. So I assume they've read my post. Great. Instead of absorbing the criticism as a professional, he takes to social media to state a blatant lie (everyone loved Evil Showers!) and sub-tweet a snarky, catty remark about it. Are we in high school? Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Who knows. Either way, his text-based gameplay is not helpful. Thanks, but no thanks.

Btw, I solemnly regret the 'Cut Out the Content' thread now.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Field Researcher
#10643 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:39 PM

I don't know, if Grants comment hinted at a restaurant. Could be a random weird remark. I don't get Grant's humor.
Field Researcher
#10644 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mishkabee
It's amazing how the game becomes more of a joke each day. Did they get all their marketing data from telemetry and non-simmer focus groups or something?

Mostly the former it seems. From a Kotaku interview with EA CCO Rich Hilleman:
Quote:
What Hilleman puts stock in instead is "game telemetry," which he feels is "extraordinarily truthful"

As I've posted before, the trouble with that approach is that telemetry tells you the "what" but not the "why".

It doesn't tell you players' motivations behind their actions, which is why he comes to conclusions like the majority of players are lying when they post "noise" on forums.

Source: http://kotaku.com/surprisingly-real...t-ea-1538708191
Theorist
#10645 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Klinn2
Mostly the former it seems. From a Kotaku interview with EA CCO Rich Hilleman:

As I've posted before, the trouble with that approach is that telemetry tells you the "what" but not the "why".

It doesn't tell you players' motivations behind their actions, which is why he comes to conclusions like the majority of players are lying when they post "noise" on forums.

Source: http://kotaku.com/surprisingly-real...t-ea-1538708191

I have a feeling this article is going to seriously piss me off.

Quote:
A few moments later, Hilleman pulled out a sourceless but nonetheless interesting statistic: "85 percent of the people who play games never play a console."

Yep. I'm getting coffee.
Lab Assistant
#10646 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:43 PM
So why is there no repoman? And what's going on with the gurus trolling and daredevil interactions? @_@
Theorist
#10647 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Did I just read the last couple pages and missed a restaurant being added/announced? O_o I'm sleepier than I thought.

Inge was referring to Grant's Tweet posted on the previous page. It was meant as a joke.

As someone mentioned recently, jokes about TS4 are not a great idea due to the way we're receiving info in little bits and bites. It's very difficult to tell whether someone is joking or not!

Pretty sad, actually.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Inventor
#10648 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:45 PM
I'll bet there won't even be fires in The sims 4 either. So there goes the firemen too... on the bright side to those who play console versions of the game you won't have to worry about a fire meter!
Theorist
#10649 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:48 PM
@ David Poston: The gurus have said there are fires.

@runandginger- The repoman was " too hard". Cutting power and water was "way funnier".

Laura's Legacy
Inventor
#10650 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
@ David Poston: The gurus have said there are fires.

@runandginger- The repoman was " too hard". Cutting power and water was "way funnier".

I know, I was just stating that as a joke! I think they came up with the "death by laughter" in replace of death by drowning...
Locked thread
Page 426 of 920