Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 6:01 PM
Default Adding/Editing Slots (RSLT file)
Hiya folks.

Been quiet for a while, just lurking in the background waiting for objects to become accessible...and I notice they have.

I've got to grips with creating new items, (currently working on a bedroom suite), but I need to be able to edit the slots.

I've had a look at TS3 method with Blender/Slot editor plugin, but not sure if that will recognise a TS4 RSLT file? (First attempt didn't produce anything in Blender, certainly not what the download page said it should.

Could someone give a quick step by step or even better a link to a tut? Would be most grateful

Thanks!

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 11:29 PM
Hi there! =)

Are you using TSRW? Here in the quick overview http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...t-instructions/ it says "Slots can be added by answering yes to creating the appropriate entries upon cloning. You then need to set the sims 4 Byte Values in the slot editor. 1 = small, 2 = med, and 3 = large. Second byte 0 for decor slots. In order to have a slot with all three values you must make 3 overlapping slots."

Haven’t done that personally though. You can probably also move them in s4pe, have you tried that? Maybe @ugly.breath knows more; they created some objects with custom slots if I’m not mistaken so they would have some experience.

A very simple way, if that would work for you, would also be to reference a different RSLT in the OBJD – but of course that’s only an option when the slots you want already exist on some Maxis object.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 10:46 AM
Good Morning

That link was written vague but helpful, I did come across a slot editor in TSRW, (Yes I am using that primarily), and seemingly a way to edit them, at least I think it is anyway...the slots tab says Slots are 0 but they seem to be located in container entries instead.

What I am trying to achieve is a shelf that has multiple parts, so will need to be able to add slots. Seems that right-clicking on a container entry gives the option to duplicate them so perhaps that's a start.

Then the other issue I need to work out is how to alter the footprint it makes on the WALL, not the floor. If that makes sense? IE, I've noticed with shelves that you can place more than one of on a wall on the same tile, above each other, they have to be spaced out a certain amount before objects can be placed on the lower shelf, and also, if I add a new shelf to the mesh, need to stop it from being able to add another object that will intersect it...

I'll have a play in the mean time, thanks for the info

Right-Clicking and duplicating a container then moving it seems to have no effect in game

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FifthAce2007
Then the other issue I need to work out is how to alter the footprint it makes on the WALL, not the floor.

Are the wall placement footprints not the bounding box of the mesh? It was in TS3.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:10 AM Last edited by FifthAce2007 : 28th Feb 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Are the wall placement footprints not the bounding box of the mesh? It was in TS3.

Yes that would sound logical.

How does one edit them? It's not something I ever played with in TS3...I always tried to avoid anything with numbers/text/code all of that stuff that makes no sense to me

FifthAce2007

#6 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FifthAce2007
How does one edit them? It's not something I ever played with in TS3...I always tried to avoid anything with numbers/text/code all of that stuff that makes no sense to me

Apparently TSRWorkshop has a way of pulling it around, on the mesh tab. Not tried it myself.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:26 AM
Ok scratch that, TSRW allows you to edit the box using point and click, although as I just discovered it's quite intelligent and automatically updated the box when I added a second shelf to the mesh above the original, and after doing so my added container entry works I am not sure if it will prevent another item being placed on the wall above it though, need to test that...

However, I notice the names of the original 5 entries were Slot 1 (_deco_sml_5) and so on. (Not sure why they aren't in numerical order, doesnt seem to matter), however my new entry shows as Slot 6 (_deco_6) and I cant seem to find out how to change it. Also, items placed on the lower shelf depending on how tall they are poke through the new shelf above...is this preventable or am I just going to have to work round that?

FifthAce2007

#8 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:27 AM
You don't want to be changing the names of the slots. They have significance in the programming.

Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
You don't want to be changing the names of the slots. They have significance in the programming.

So they don't affect what can be placed on them then ?

FifthAce2007

#10 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:37 AM
Not on all objects, but in sufficiently many that the best rule is to never change the name of an original slot. Because I have seen many lines of script referring to a particular slot or list of slots by name.

Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 11:38 AM
That would be a no to preventing another from intersecting it

FifthAce2007

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 2:58 PM
Can you fiddle with the bounding boxes in TSRW? I remember one can view them, not sure whether one can change them. You can definitely change them in s4pe, in any case.

Also, what editor are you using? If it’s blender you might want to look into exporting to a TS3 package first (with cmo’s blender tools http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=433882 and Peter’s meshHelper http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...ploadsIndex.htm), and then saving your stuff as wso and import it into the TS4 project from there. That’s a little roundabout but this would definitely update your bounding boxes automatically, so maybe it’d be more efficient for you in the end depending on how much bounding-box-tweaking you’d have to do otherwise.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 5:30 PM
I'm using Milkshape for everything apart from making the mesh, for that I use a very simple but effective program called Amapi. It's crude, basic and crashes a LOT, but for most simple stuff it suits my purpose. I've used it for almost everything I have ever made, right back to TS2. Object wise anyway.

It would appear you can edit it in TSRW yes, clicking on the boundingbox entry brings it up in the preview window along with sliders, however I found when I added another part to the mesh it updated automatically.

At least in TSRW it did anyway. I have no way of knowing if it is actually updating it in the game. IF the bounding box DEFINITELY controls where an adjacent item can be placed, then no TSRW isn't updating it correctly, but I need an answer to that question to know for certain.

I will have a look into the blender/ts3 route, see what that yeilds, thanks

Kind of gone off topic a bit...although technically the slots question has been solved

FifthAce2007