Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#17976 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:09 AM
I see sims doing push-ups in just about every video I've seen. Yuck! Looks just plain dumb, IMO.

"Weirder" is just another name for "we didn't have time to fix this". :-0

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#17977 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Honestly, having control of their fanblogs is hardly a new corporate strategy, whether for EA, or any other consumer serving corporation.
This is true. A few years ago I was invited to join Zynga's player advisory committee for one of their games, since I ran a modest fan site. Myself and a few others remained critical on many points when it became obvious the game was ruled by executive stuffed suits who were only humoring us, and guess who became obsolete when the committee was 're formed' the next year? Yeah. Meanwhile they began actually promoting their non-critical favorite as a go-to person for game info.

The whole thing was a joke, really. It got to the point that some of us wouldn't even admit to it when we saw our ideas in the game, because Zynga managed to distort our feedback so badly.
Field Researcher
#17978 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I think a lot of people will get enjoyment out of the game. I'm just not one of those people. I just can't see spending $60 for less game than I have now. It may actually be a decent game, but it will be less game

I doubt whether that is the case, but I suppose we'll find out in a few weeks.
Instructor
#17979 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misskryskrys
You should've just taken the tiki bar anyways. (I don't even know what they are, mind you. xD)
I wonder if the guy was a new person or loved giving away free stuff.

The image of ZenGarden trying to smuggle a tiki bar out the door under his arms while the sales guy isn't looking...

Weirder stories.
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I'm considering buying it just in case there's a class action lawsuit. :p

That basically happened with Simcity 5. People were threatening a class action lawsuit so they gave everyone free games, letting them choose from SimCity 4, Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed. Maybe we'll get Flappy Bird or Goat Simulator this time.

The more I watch the gameplay videos the more I really admire what they've done with the whole sims conversation-multitasking-emotions triangle. Talking in groups, while doing other things (like sitting or eating), while affecting and being affected by emotions. And how a third or fourth sim just listening to the conversation between two sims can react to what's being said. They reached for the stars there and it shows. It's very organic. And to be honest one of the things that annoyed me about sims was their robotic erratic behavior. Erratic in the sense that a sim might have just gotten fired but he's happy as a clown (ok maybe that is realistic for some people lol). And robotic in the sense that I can easily predict what each sim on free will will do next. So the emotions do add an improved layer that might take me a year or two before it starts to feel robotic again. But one or two years is good.

Also the ability to modify sims faces and bodies (similar to TS3 modded sliders but with a clay like interface) is good although not as revolutionary as the convo-multitask-emotions systems. It's just that so much of everything else in the game... feels rushed, half-assed like others have said.
Field Researcher
#17980 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Oh I suppose someone (not naming any names) will consider this "minutiae", just a small trifling matter, but is anyone else bothered by that special effect that appears in the middle of the screen after the sims are dumped in front of the lot they are traveling to?

Yes! That was the first thing I noticed... fucking driving me nuts already and I haven't even played the game.

I mean it's bad enough we don't have cars and Sims can't even just walk from one place to another, we also need some retarded sparkling effect when they appear as an extra little slap in the face? Who is even the audience for this game...
Field Researcher
#17981 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Doesn't look densely packed to me.... in the video I mean.

The entire town looked utterly deserted. Yes I know it's 2 am, I hope it's deserted because it's 2 am but I suspect it'll be like that all the time, just like TS3 often was.
Instructor
#17982 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I see sims doing push-ups in just about every video I've seen. Yuck! Looks just plain dumb, IMO.

"Weirder" is just another name for "we didn't have time to fix this". :-0

I'm just hoping this isn't a "default" behavior for athletic sims. I remember that female sim in some video that had just eaten something and suddenly started doing push-ups.

Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
The image of ZenGarden trying to smuggle a tiki bar out the door under his arms while the sales guy isn't looking...

Weirder stories.

That basically happened with Simcity 5. People were threatening a class action lawsuit so they gave everyone free games, letting them choose from SimCity 4, Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed. Maybe we'll get Flappy Bird or Goat Simulator this time.

The more I watch the gameplay videos the more I really admire what they've done with the whole sims conversation-multitasking-emotions triangle. Talking in groups, while doing other things (like sitting or eating), while affecting and being affected by emotions. And how a third or fourth sim just listening to the conversation between two sims can react to what's being said. They reached for the stars there and it shows. It's very organic. And to be honest one of the things that annoyed me about sims was their robotic erratic behavior. Erratic in the sense that a sim might have just gotten fired but he's happy as a clown (ok maybe that is realistic for some people lol). And robotic in the sense that I can easily predict what each sim on free will will do next. So the emotions do add an improved layer that might take me a year or two before it starts to feel robotic again. But one or two years is good.

Also the ability to modify sims faces and bodies (similar to TS3 modded sliders but with a clay like interface) is good although not as revolutionary as the convo-multitask-emotions systems. It's just that so much of everything else in the game... feels rushed, half-assed like others have said.

Goat simulator...that trailer
I keep talking about my cousin's son(he's 5), but when he "played" TS3 he continuously asked why my sim would laugh and clap randomly and I was like: "Idk, she's happy or something". He insisted: Why? But I couldn't give an exact answer.
The point is in TS3 was really easy to make a sim feel "happy", sometimes there were so many positive moodlets, that even being fired(or any other negative occurrence) wouldn't affect them. Now, TS4 emotions theoretically will add some spice and make gameplay more interesting, if it works as promised, I say yay.
I believe Graham said we could capture a memory that would be associate with the emotion our sim felt when it happened and if he something reminded him of it, maybe a conversation idk, it would "trigger" those "feelings" again. (I'm not quite sure Graham said that way, but this is how I remember) Let's hope this is truly in the game, has anyone from Creators Camp and Gamescom confirmed this information?
I also found myself frustrated, in TS3 CAS, missing the new CAS features. So yeah, there are still things that make me feel like buying TS4 but for that price? In my country's currency deluxe is 139,90. Dragon Age Deluxe is 129,90...while Idk if DAI will be a great game, the graphics look much more appealing so I pre-ordered it instead of TS4, even knowing it was delayed to November.
I don't really care about Sims soundtrack, I just wanted those "Up all night" recipes, but I'm not even sure how many or what kind of recipes it includes. I hated those animal hats and at first I thought "who the hell uses those hats?!", but then I saw in some world cup game a person in the audience wearing a panda hat. But real life animal hats are way cuter than those in the game...now I'm wondering if SimGuruRiley know how to make hats, she made adorable bunnies. :lovestruc Chompy is cute too. I think it would be much cooler to get one of these as a pre-order incentive instead of that gum...just saying.

I'm still curious about genetics system. I know some friends pre-ordered the game so I might ask them to make me some kids and teens at CAS using my sims from gallery.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Mad Poster
#17983 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:34 AM
Damn that violin music, that plays every time a sim does even the most mundane of things, is annoying.
Field Researcher
#17984 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Damn that violin music, that plays every time a sim does even the most mundane of things, is annoying.

"La la la la you're experiencing a NEW EMOTION la la la la."
Instructor
#17985 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by queziacristina
Goat simulator...that trailer
I keep talking about my cousin's son(he's 5), but when he "played" TS3 he continuously asked why my sim would laugh and clap randomly and I was like: "Idk, she's happy or something". He insisted: Why? But I couldn't give an exact answer.
The point is in TS3 was really easy to make a sim feel "happy", sometimes there were so many positive moodlets, that even being fired(or any other negative occurrence) wouldn't affect them. Now, TS4 emotions theoretically will add some spice and make gameplay more interesting, if it works as promised, I say yay.

Haha yeah I agree, theoretically it will make things more interesting. And we all know theories do take time to be either proven or falsified.
One thing about sims though is they're all slightly not right in the head. That random laughing and clapping is just the tip of the iceberg. Even the ones that seem normal. You turn your back and the next thing you know they're slapping their grandparents and peeing in the kitchen. Emotions won't change that :D
Field Researcher
#17986 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Glic2000
"La la la la you're experiencing a NEW EMOTION la la la la."

I usually play households of eight or more sims.
It's bad enough with all the pop-ups telling me that they've gained a skillpoint or that the future has been compromised--that music would be pure torture.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Instructor
#17987 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mouse
I usually play households of eight or more sims.
It's bad enough with all the pop-ups telling me that they've gained a skillpoint or that the future has been compromised--that music would be pure torture.

You never experience being pestered by The Zone tone in TS2 Free Time? Now that gets annoying fast, especially if it's an on-off hobby like say a Nature sim tending his garden.
Mad Poster
#17988 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
The game won't be the heaven-sent perfection the EA apologists think it will be, but in the long haul, the game will not turn out to be the apocalyptic scenario the hysterics swear it will be.

People seem to be forgetting that at some point there will be an actual product to judge and EA's supposed censorship, favoritism, etc. will be worth exactly nothing. Once it is released to the wild, EA has very limited control over what is said about it.

The million-dollar questions that will dictate this game's fate are:

1.) How deep it actually is. Will fans find out that there's really not that much of a fun system behind the scenes? Will it be wafer-thin like Simcity 2013? This is something that will become evident in the weeks after release.

2.) How strong of a "foundation" it is. We already strongly suspect that this game's engine is repurposed from something that was originally meant to be played online. As such in metaphorical terms, the foundation may not exactly fit the house being built on top of it. Will the engine be able to deliver on better gameplay and promises of more features?

In the end, there's really two potential endings- the usual Sims trajectory (where you have your limitless expansions), and the Simcity 2013/Spore/Sims Medieval trajectory (where you have one or two expansions and the game is quickly dropped in favor of something else). It's not the end of the world, but it certainly will be disappointing for some who see the game's direction and ideology as headed the wrong way.
Theorist
#17989 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:49 AM
From what I hear the game is rather slow and focused more on the sim relationships with the added flavor of achievements and goal oriented/event play instead of a sandbox. Could be tiresome a la Sims 3 without expansions.

Not a whole lot of depth which is why I was kind of turned off by it. Besides, we're here because we love the franchise and we're upset that it might potentially go down in flames. We're not chanting around a fire wishing for it to fail, I know a lot of us are here because we want to see how it plays out with the real possibility that we might pick it up in the future.

Not exactly a doomsday scenario, but it does suck when a game is so far from what you're used to that you hardly recognize it.
Lab Assistant
#17990 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:53 AM
Well, in The Sims, ev'ry time you get a skill point, you can heard a little melody
Da, da, da da da da, piu dadedadedo, ping!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwfM4AzVxg
Mad Poster
#17991 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Not a whole lot of depth which is why I was kind of turned off by it. Besides, we're here because we love the franchise and we're upset that it might potentially go down in flames. We're not chanting around a fire wishing for it to fail, I know a lot of us are here because we want to see how it plays out with the real possibility that we might pick it up in the future.

Not exactly a doomsday scenario, but it does suck when a game is so far from what you're used to that you hardly recognize it.

I could go along with that because that is why I come in this section, just to see what else has become a "things change" and will I see an inkling of hope that the game is enjoyable. What I have seen from each video is shallow game that is not all that new, just stripped. I don't have a problem with starting again with limited base game but I need to some hope that the foundation they built on will bring something that makes me go "Wow, I've got to get this series!". So far, I don't see anything that promotes the way I loved playing Sims. That is a thing of the past and I have to make a decision whether I want to go the way EA wants or just leave the series alone. I am still deciding, it's a hard habit to break.

Would it be wrong if I point and laugh if everything goes belly up? Yeah, I guess. Since I can't allow myself the pleasure of playing the new series, then I will have my entertainment reading this section for laughs and giggles. I am a bad person.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#17992 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 8:41 AM
Wow, this thread wasn't even on the first page of new posts any more this morning!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#17993 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:02 AM
I have to say, I lost interest in Sims 4. I don't care about slightly new gameplay videos or screenshots anymore. Latest thing I heard, was no firefighters, no house telephones anymore. Not surprised, I'm already sobered up (is this the right word? In german it is 'ernüchtert') about sims 4. My turning point were the chained babies. It was not the big dealbreaker for me, more like the last straw.
What does surprise me however is that they won't even give preview copies to the major video game sites. This is a really bad sign. EA is not at all confident in the game, if they want to avoid the reviews that badly. If this is true, it seems to me that they want to grab as much money in the first launch week as possible, because after the first reviews are in, they fear it will cost them dearly.

Quote:
For The Sims 4 to not be available (assuming Stapleton has got that right) is a massive warning sign. I cannot stress this enough: do not pick this game up without first hearing some impressions from game sites or other sources that you feel you can trust.

Thousands times this! Sadly most of the simmers will not know this.

Oh, and about the clipping and new routing issue of the sims. I assume this is also a left-over from the online game. In most MMO's you have it that players will just run through other players. Clipping through other characters is a very common occurence in MMOs. Because, if player characters would block your way, it would make some gameplay very hard to reach, you couldn't even leave a room, access a work station etc.
Forum Resident
#17994 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:05 AM Last edited by Flaygor : 20th Aug 2014 at 9:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Wow, this thread wasn't even on the first page of new posts any more this morning!

Sorry there Inge, but if everyone else feels like I do I think I've run out of anger and I'm preparing for the end.....

It's like battling the EA clone army, you knock a few down and a whole lot more yib-troopers appear to tell you how whiny and hateful you are....

Edit: Helpful? Did you not know EA had a clone army! ...I love this forum :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#17995 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:44 AM
Just browsing the Official Forum and I saw someone make a list of new feature of Sims 4. Aaanndd look what I found

WHAT? BEST NEW FEATURE YOU SAY?
Screenshots

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Field Researcher
#17996 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:27 AM
So smoke detector but no firemen... Dang, better hope they're smarter about putting out fires than until now.
Field Researcher
#17997 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

I know! Now I have to actually work instead of catching up with this thread.
Field Researcher
#17998 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:43 AM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 20th Aug 2014 at 11:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Birgitte Heuschkel
So smoke detector but no firemen... Dang, better hope they're smarter about putting out fires than until now.

Yes cut backs at Sim City Hall we can no longer afford Fireman, or Police, and we have just demolished City Hall. Tough Times, Tough Times for Simnation.
Mad Poster
#17999 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:35 PM
I wonder if they plan on selling walk styles individually. It was a horrible thought I had just now.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Theorist
#18000 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I wonder if they plan on selling walk styles individually. It was a horrible thought I had just now.

You're giving them ideas.
Locked thread
Page 720 of 920