Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#4126 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 1:24 AM
Oh what I said wasn't triggered by anyone specifically. It's just something that had been lingering in my mind for some time now. I just think its important to know that just because some people--myself included--play a game that is not at the same level in quality as the past releases, doesn't mean that we don't want better. I have no need to take anything personally; especially when it wasn't directed at me. In fact, I do welcome people's opinions. Most of the time they're just full of assumptions so its good to clarify once in a while.

And believe me, I'm not all that happy with this game, but I'm still enjoying it. Its just a game after all.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#4127 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 1:54 AM Last edited by BoySim : 7th Apr 2015 at 1:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DiAnkhiar
And believe me, I'm not all that happy with this game, but I'm still enjoying it. Its just a game after all.

A game that costs a lot of money...
If you have so much money to spend on things you don't enjoy entirely... Would you please give me some
I can assure you, that money will be so much better spent! I swear it!
Instructor
#4128 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 2:02 AM
Oh what I said wasn't triggered by anyone specifically. It's just something that had been lingering in my mind for some time now. I just think its important to know that just because some people--myself included--play a game that is not at the same level in quality as the past releases, doesn't mean that we don't want better. I have no need to take anything personally; especially when it wasn't directed at me. In fact, I do welcome people's opinions. Most of the time they're just full of assumptions so its good to clarify once in a while.

For me, in addition to TS4 itself being a massive disappointment, it seems to fit the poor state of the video game industry in 2014. So many games had massive hype trains going, but when the release date came, many players were left disappointed because those games fell way short of the hype that was raised for them. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to do some research on those disappointing 2014 releases, and put a write-up of about why so many of those games flopped the way they did.
Theorist
#4129 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 2:08 AM
I personally go with whatever's new at the moment when it comes to simulations because they always bring something new to the table no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. Its just who I am as a person tho, I enjoy change. I'm glad some people can still grab their old games (ts2) and be happy with that. Its great. I'm just not like that. When I feel something gets old to me its because it just has nothing new to offer. I really dislike it when people assume everyone is the same.

Regardless, I do still hope another company who is geniunly passionate about making a life simulation goes ahead with it, just like colossal order did with a city simulation. That may just be the happiest day in my gaming life. But if at the moment I'm not enjoying or am not able to play any of the past iterations in a series which I adore, obviously I'm gonna go for the latest release. I rather have that than have nothing at all.

Just felt like sharing my opinion.

There is no right or wrong opinion because taste is completely subjective. I can understand how you feel because I also love new experiences and adventures but I'll go without before I'll pay good money for something that doesn't live up to my expectations. I'd rather wear a pair of ten-year-old shoes that I love than buy something new that I don't. I'm not always stuck in the past, though. There are a lot of interesting things and places out there besides Sims and I'm in some of those places now.
Forum Resident
#4130 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheNest
For me, in addition to TS4 itself being a massive disappointment, it seems to fit the poor state of the video game industry in 2014. So many games had massive hype trains going, but when the release date came, many players were left disappointed because those games fell way short of the hype that was raised for them. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to do some research on those disappointing 2014 releases, and put a write-up of about why so many of those games flopped the way they did.

Greed.

And I agree with Misty_2004 that there are still plenty of good games out there (many have been discussed here) and strangely enough, most of them appear to be reasonably priced, have good customer feedback and give you free stuff without making you feel like you are lucky to be getting it and that they are so wonderful for giving it to you. Pools, ghosts and basements anyone?

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥ Now playing Sims 4 but not as EA intended.....
Lab Assistant
#4131 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 3:59 AM
I quite like four its fun and the sims are beautiful I might actualoly go back to three for a while because of the huge mods and EP pool and the the big worlds and me having a beastly gaming computer now. Sims 4 is very different but I've found it fun even if it is in a different way t o three now to see if I want to step back to TS3 or keep with 4
Top Secret Researcher
#4132 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:54 AM
Dropping in to say that if any of you enjoy Harvest Moon / the Boku farming series, grab Story of Seasons for 3DS. Seriously the most fun I've had in a simulation-type game in a while (but this IS one of my favorite series, so yeah). There's also Morrowind but it's currently kicking my ass.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Lab Assistant
#4133 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
Dropping in to say that if any of you enjoy Harvest Moon / the Boku farming series, grab Story of Seasons for 3DS. Seriously the most fun I've had in a simulation-type game in a while (but this IS one of my favorite series, so yeah). There's also Morrowind but it's currently kicking my ass.

how does it compare to the other harvest moons? I feel like i haven't gotten a lot out of them since another wonderful life ( :lovestruc ) but this one looked so promising
Top Secret Researcher
#4134 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hippiebones
how does it compare to the other harvest moons? I feel like i haven't gotten a lot out of them since another wonderful life ( :lovestruc ) but this one looked so promising

Did you play A New Beginning? It's pretty similar. Not as heavy on the town-building but really fun. (AWL was amaaaazing. but Mineral Town will always be my favorite). As usual with these games, there's no lack of content, always something to do.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4135 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 9:25 AM
Let's hope EA don't buy out CO.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#4136 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 10:56 AM
I don't see the big deal with loading screens. It's as if TS3 players are a spolied bunch who expect every game to not have loading screens. Either that or The Sims 4 just wanted to avenge all those dead loading screens.
Test Subject
#4137 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheNest

Most of that is actually because of the lack of things that were found in previous games, or it changed too much stuff.

Kinda reminds me of Super Smash Bros. Brawl if anything, since players felt that Brawl's mechanics were crap compared to Melee's, which even led to a full-on mod for the game.
Mad Poster
#4138 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Let's hope EA don't buy out CO.

And if they try, just say no, CO! Just say no and give them the middle finger when you do it.

It has been done before. (It's rare, but it has been done.)

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#4139 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 12:53 PM
EA can't afford to buy another gaming company right now. They're hard-pressed for money, from what I've read..they did shut down Emeryville's studio, after all.
Instructor
#4140 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
Thanks, tontrin - I need a hug because after I vent I feel ashamed for being a bitch.

You're welcome RoseCity. I feel the same way after complaining, however, all EA has done with the newest Sims just gets me so aggravated and I wind up spouting off now and then.

I know it does come down to some personal taste when it comes to buying TS4, however, I agree that it should have been a successor to TS1, TS2, TS3, and not left OUT features from every previous The Sims game that came before. I am also someone who cannot, and even more importantly, WILL NOT, afford to GIVE money to a company for sub-par workmanship. With the price for Sims 4, that game should have been loaded with a bunch of content and huge worlds where players had plenty of room to build and grow their towns. Sims 4 should have editable worlds so Simmers can use their creativity like they have in the past. BUT, apparently, some people are weak willed and will follow whatever trend is going around at the time.

My mama always asked me, when I was a kid and told her, "But everybody else is. . ." , "If everybody else was jumping off a cliff, would you jump off as well?"

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#4141 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
EA can't afford to buy another gaming company right now. They're hard-pressed for money, from what I've read..they did shut down Emeryville's studio, after all.

Is that why the Sims 4 supposedly got such a low graphics budget?
Theorist
#4142 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:19 PM
Ha Ha! My Dad always said, 'if the other kids go play in the street..." Of course these days, kids do play in the street, and take their sweet everlovin time moving out of the way when a car comes.

Sometimes I feel weak willed and want to buy this game. I considered it just before GTW came out, because parts of it do sound fun. But there is this thread on the official forum about an obnoxious psychosausage that's hilarious but also points out in stark humorous detail why this game is a complete mess. The OP had several undesirable issues after installing the EP so that prevented me from caving in and buying it.

It's a complete disappointment as a sims game. Heck, it's a complete disappointment as an AAA PC gaming title. But if I can ever pick up the packs at $10 or less I might end up buying it; otherwise I totally agree with not supporting this mess by throwing large chunks of money at EA. They don't deserve it. They chose to cheap out when making this game, so I choose to cheap out by not buying it (at least not now and not at the high prices they're asking). To me it looks more like a whacky casual knock-off game than an actual Sims game.

I think the money issue was partially why they cheaped out on TS4, but the 'low frequency textures' were also intentional because it was designed to be a game for multi-platforms. IOW, they wanted it (or a version of it) to be able to run on tablets.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Theorist
#4143 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:57 PM
I hate how when I have my selected sim perform any interaction on another sim, instead of approaching the other sim, the target sim psychically knows my sim wants to talk or whatever, so my sim stands still and waits for the target sim to come over.
It's stupid. I know sometimes that happens in the previous games, but did it do that for every interaction? I don't remember it being that bad. TS4 works that way for every interaction. It's annoying and I hate it.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#4144 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 5:31 PM
^
I think it's the opposite in 3 - your sim walks up to the target sim to chat or whatever. I think the target stops moving after you click on them.
Theorist
#4145 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tontrin
<snip>
My mama always asked me, when I was a kid and told her, "But everybody else is. . ." , "If everybody else was jumping off a cliff, would you jump off as well?"

Or her other response: "Well, you're not everybody else."

In retrospect this is one of the best things ever about our mom. Sure, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of things because yeah, you see something that should be great and you want to be included but being raised like that definitely helps empower a person not follow the crowd simply for the sake of following or just because something's new. We definitely grew up marching to the beats of different drummers than most people around us.

Of course limited financial resources also helps because you always have to try to get the most for your money.
Forum Resident
#4146 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XavierS2002
I don't see the big deal with loading screens. It's as if TS3 players are a spolied bunch who expect every game to not have loading screens. Either that or The Sims 4 just wanted to avenge all those dead loading screens.

Yeah funny how we don't like to go backwards in our games . The loading screens in Sims 4 are worse than Sims 2. A bit shorter in duration, but more obnoxious. Just wait til there are more EPs and of course all the CC and mods that are needed now because there's no CAST. What a whiny bunch we are.
Scholar
#4147 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Ha Ha! My Dad always said, 'if the other kids go play in the street..." Of course these days, kids do play in the street, and take their sweet everlovin time moving out of the way when a car comes.

Sometimes I feel weak willed and want to buy this game. I considered it just before GTW came out, because parts of it do sound fun. But there is this thread on the official forum about an obnoxious psychosausage that's hilarious but also points out in stark humorous detail why this game is a complete mess. The OP had several undesirable issues after installing the EP so that prevented me from caving in and buying it.

It's a complete disappointment as a sims game. Heck, it's a complete disappointment as an AAA PC gaming title. But if I can ever pick up the packs at $10 or less I might end up buying it; otherwise I totally agree with not supporting this mess by throwing large chunks of money at EA. They don't deserve it. They chose to cheap out when making this game, so I choose to cheap out by not buying it (at least not now and not at the high prices they're asking). To me it looks more like a whacky casual knock-off game than an actual Sims game.

I think the money issue was partially why they cheaped out on TS4, but the 'low frequency textures' were also intentional because it was designed to be a game for multi-platforms. IOW, they wanted it (or a version of it) to be able to run on tablets.

I could have sworn that the always-"hilarious" Angry Poop was a work requirement in the Mr. Sausages thread. Still proud of that little line of text they wrote?

Another side effect of the low budget because EA's hurting for cash - the "Lowest Common Denominator" mindset that sets in. "What do these dumb kids and tweens like and not like?"

Maybe EA should start making TV shows, since they clearly don't care about gameplay. In TV you have to be dumb and pandering unless you're on HBO or the like.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Mad Poster
#4148 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XavierS2002

Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
Yeah funny how we don't like to go backwards in our games . The loading screens in Sims 4 are worse than Sims 2. A bit shorter in duration, but more obnoxious. Just wait til there are more EPs and of course all the CC and mods that are needed now because there's no CAST. What a whiny bunch we are.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if open world was the 'problem' and loading screens were the 'trade off', shouldn't there at least have been a big world to travel around in via the loading screens for that hefty price tag*. Instead they're doling out the little neighborhoods or whatever they call them at $40 a pop.

*Admittedly Sims 4 and its add-ons seem to have been on sale an awful lot even though it's still early days.
Lab Assistant
#4149 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 8:23 PM
DISHWASHERS!!! I hate that my stupid sim go's all the way up stairs to wash a dish in the bathroom. DUH,...there's a sink in the kitchen!!!

~Linda~
Theorist
#4150 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
I could have sworn that the always-"hilarious" Angry Poop was a work requirement in the Mr. Sausages thread. Still proud of that little line of text they wrote?

Another side effect of the low budget because EA's hurting for cash - the "Lowest Common Denominator" mindset that sets in. "What do these dumb kids and tweens like and not like?"

Maybe EA should start making TV shows, since they clearly don't care about gameplay. In TV you have to be dumb and pandering unless you're on HBO or the like.

Yes! I was like, 'oh no, they didn't!!'

For those who don't know what we're talking about, there are lists of tasks to perform in the active careers (no surprise there). One of the tasks to perform in the science career really was 'take an angry poop'. Unreal!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Locked thread
Page 166 of 223