Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#20376 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:00 AM
We are saved!
Ryan Vaughn: "There have been a lot of revolutions in the game over the last four games and I think some of the big stuff you're going to notice in The Sims 4 are the environments. The ability to go outside of your house and meet other Sims and form relationships."
Source: http://stevivor.com/2014/08/depth-e3-sims-4/
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20377 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I guess I'll just see some of you guys around in the TS2 forum. :/

Yes, come over to the dark side. Stuff will be happening.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#20378 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Oh. His last name is literally Pancakes.

The overzealous promotion of the pancakes in our face seems to be a pathetic desperate attempt to gain simmers love back. They saw how people reacted to the first screen shot of pancake bob and went on overdrive to feature the poor guy.

I am just thinking if the sims 4 marketing team is actually quite genius.

They knew the game is going to suck. So instead of selling to gamers who have played the series for so long, why not make it fluffy, cute and weird, and market to Tweens who don't care about deeper game play? That explains the simple bios written for the goths.

When they saw that the sims are not following commands and can't sit still, can't have a face-to-face conversation, they just call it weirder story instead!

And if these attempts to sell this game works, I think we have a perfect case study to teach in school on how to market a failed product.

I can't wait for the game reviews to come in.
Field Researcher
#20379 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:07 AM
Okay, just watched the third stream. Didn't see sims sitting in each other, so that's a good thing, but Mortimer's war with the toilet... oh my, could this game be any more broken? He needed to pee so badly he could no longer pee? Reminds me of sims 1, when my sim returned from Studio Town exhausted and got into bed right when her energy ran out... only to get out of bed again immediately and pass out on the floor.

The sims all seem to have ADHD, never sticking to an activity longer than a few minutes (Cassandra playing the violin) and constantly getting up and changing seats for no reason. I went crazy just watching it. I can't imagine the frustration when actually playing this (which I won't, fortunately).

The most positive thing I took from the video is that there are a lot of interactions for sims with each other, and some do look cute or interesting (confess attraction seems cute. Too bad it got rejected in the video). So if you get sims to actually obey orders, there can be fun in having them socialize. But the pie menu also gets cluttered up with fake options like joke about ducks, engineers, etc. That could have just been "joke" and it wouldn't have made a difference.
Lab Assistant
#20380 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by applefeather2
We are saved!
Ryan Vaughn: "There have been a lot of revolutions in the game over the last four games and I think some of the big stuff you're going to notice in The Sims 4 are the environments. The ability to go outside of your house and meet other Sims and form relationships."
Source: http://stevivor.com/2014/08/depth-e3-sims-4/

Mind. Blown.

Mad Poster
#20381 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:10 AM
Quote:
They knew the game is going to suck. So instead of selling to gamers who have played the series for so long, why not make it fluffy, cute and weird, and market to Tweens who don't care about deeper game play? That explains the simple bios written for the goths.

Because even EA has brains enough when they saw how awful it is, to know instinctively that no self-respecting, long-time Sims player would touch it with a ten-foot pole.

So they changed marketing strategies and decided that the tweens who have never heard of it should be the target audience. Also kids who like rocket ships.
Test Subject
#20382 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ProfPlumbob
Mind. Blown.

How come none of the interviewers asked but we can already do this in sims 3? Same thing with Rachael's comment about gay couples. It's really nothing new.
Scholar
#20384 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:16 AM Last edited by TotallyJW : 29th Aug 2014 at 10:37 AM.
Meh. I started screencapping all the clipping, but really, what's the point. There's nothing we don't already know.
So here are some impressions instead.

It was so painful to watch as they struggled to make their sims follow command. When they tried to make Bella and Mortimer make out and both of them refused to do anything, that brief moment of silence when they realized what was happening. God that was painful. SimGuruWolverine tried his best to cover everything up with PR-talk, but there was not a slightest hint of enthusiasm in his frequent "so cool"s. A friend of mine recently introduced me to Chris Roberts' upcoming Star Citizen. In every presentation he sounds genuinely excited and invested in the game. Even though I'm not a fan of the space sim genre, I'm probably going to donate because of that. It's a very stark contrast to this.
On a related note to the make out session.. that was a very lame make out session. It made me laugh out loud. It could MAYBE be acceptable for awkward teenagers, but not an adult couple, much less a freaking married one.

It annoys me too see that they keep picking white, skinny attractive sims from the gallery. Like others have mentioned, that part where they paused and skipped over the black sim (Henry?) was really cringeworthy. And I don't mean any offense to whoever made those sisters, but they were just about the least interesting sims imaginable. I guess they picked them because they assume that most viewers would identify with them?

On a positive note - I must admit that I liked what little we got to see of the party dresses. I saw some fairly pretty ones in there, and it also seems like the clothes will have more colour swatches than in the demo? It's not CaST, but it's better than nothing.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Scholar
#20385 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyndsey Peterson
In The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 they were very robotic in that they would do this and then they would do another thing, and having them do it all together really changes the dynamic of everything that’s happening behind the scenes.
Hahahahahaha

Shut up Lyndsey.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Field Researcher
#20386 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:30 AM
Field Researcher
#20387 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:31 AM
This is just horrible.. I watched some of the gameplay video's and there are some things I like but most of it is just so bad, everytime I see a clip or glitch happening I had to crinch a little..

The sims 4 is starting to feel like am at a funural

Visit my Dreamwidth for my latested uploads!
~Babbelsim~
Scholar
#20388 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:37 AM
Nina333 thanks for all the links btw

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20389 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
I love Will Wright, I wish he'd come back to Maxis to make his crazy sim games again.

He won't. Will Wright is an ideas man (great ideas). He's only interested in developing ideas not maintaining something he has already done. He made that very clear when he moved on to Spore. I imagine he'd get bored retreading old ground. He's in the fortunate position that that's not what he needs to do and so he chooses not to do it (don't blame him for an instant, I'm also a person who can't tolerate boredom easily). I forget what he's working on now but it's something different again. He has his own development studio.

What I'm saying is, I don't think he is the right person to 'save' the sims. The likelihood is, if he ever worked on it again, would not be to return it to its roots but to develop it in new directions.
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
The purists play SimCity 4.

I liked SC4 though. There was so much you could do and the mods were (are) excellent.
Quote:
As you get to know the Pancakes you will have a chance to explore just what’s keeping these two together? [Question mark despite the sentence not... being... a question...]

Surely they are not called Pancakes? Where's that facepalm button?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20390 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:49 AM
Well actually technology and what is possible has moved on so far since Wright's Sims 1 days that maybe it really would feel like a fresh challenge to him to come back to it and make it what it could have been?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#20391 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:51 AM
just watched the livestream video and yeah... that's really embarrassing for them
and when bella and mortimer are going to woohoo the guy says "it's 11:30 in the afternoon" erm : \
Lab Assistant
#20392 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well actually technology and what is possible has moved on so far since Wright's Sims 1 days that maybe it really would feel like a fresh challenge to him to come back to it and make it what it could have been?

Well it's not like the Sims franchise has moved along with such technological advances .... He'd probably feel right at home with TS4 - stuck in the early 2000s
Scholar
#20393 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamespot
This newfound confident emotion affected how my Sim would carry out her actions, turning simple tasks such as using the toilet into "Pee Like a Champion."
This would have been awesome if it was a new animation. But I'm willing to bet my left kidney that it's a Take Evil Shower 2.0

Quote: Originally posted by GS
Unlike in real life, getting a job was surprisingly straightforward. Gone were the days of searching newspapers and online postings. Clicking through my Sim's occupation box in the interface brought up a list of exciting careers my Sim could venture into, and I settled on the path of an entertainer.
Wait, what?! I didn't know about that. Oh my godding god. I've been with the crowd who wished for a more complex job application system. And now they've gone made it even simpler. "I think applying for a job is way too hard. I'm always stuck on that damn newspaper, and I just don't know what to do I wish they would make it easier." Said no one ever.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20394 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

I really doubt that Inge. I mean I would be interested if he did make a decision like that but I just ... doubt it would ever interest him. Still, I'm no expert on his character.

Field Researcher
#20395 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
Nina333 thanks for all the links btw

You're welcome! I don't like it when this thread is so quiet so I try to get you guys something to talk about.
Test Subject
#20396 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:01 AM Last edited by UltraLoser : 29th Aug 2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Terrible English
Quote: Originally posted by Nina333
You're welcome! I don't like it when this thread is so quiet so try to get you guys something to talk about.

Thanks nina333. I already can see rave reviews of sims 4 because reviewers got sense of achievement from the goals system. This was mentioned by the gamespot writer that she felt a sense of achievement with her sim advancing in her career.

While most of us here enjoy the sandbox gameplay, the unlocking of furniture may again be a great move by the sims 4 team.

Maybe we are the ones who are obsolete and can't keep up with the new trends?
Field Researcher
#20397 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:01 AM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 29th Aug 2014 at 11:28 AM.
Originally Posted by Lyndsey Peterson
In The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 they were very robotic in that they would do this and then they would do another thing, and having them do it all together really changes the dynamic of everything that’s happening behind the scenes.

Gee that statement could bite her on the Bum Big Time, I wonder in a week’s time where Lyndsey Peterson career will be?
This release certainly looks like it’s going to take a massive hit to her reputation with what we have seen coming for the last few months, but even I was shocked by how bad the game is looking after the last few days of "live mode". Hopefully she can move forward and upwards from this point.
Lab Assistant
#20398 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:06 AM
man it's like the jump bug all over again
remember that guys? I can't believe that was already 10 years ago
Scholar
#20399 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamespork
Oddly enough, when my Sim was at work I was unable to bring up the interface to watch her needs. At one point she became hungry, but because my Sim was not present on the lot I was not able bring up the hunger meter to see just how starved she was.
Well isn't that just.. /facepalm.

Lab Assistant
#20400 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:20 AM
I was really hoping the new "dinner party" option was going to be a functional dinner party. Everyone arrives and mingles for a bit, have a few drinks. You'd then get a new table interaction, "seat the guests" and all the guests sit down at the table together while chatting it up. The host brings out the food and everyone eats. You could keep bringing out more food or deserts then end it by clicking the table and, "excuse guests"

It's a dinner party people. I want their butts glued to their chairs with the exception of using the restroom. Why is this hard? Instead we get sims eating all over the place, playing musical chairs and then they all scatter around the house to do things by themselves. Dinner party, this is not.
Locked thread
Page 816 of 920