Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#20451 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
ENOUGH EA! You're down with the fans, we get it!

Weeelll, I'm not on whatever they're inhaling/smoking over at Redwood, so I'm still a few floors below that!

I must say I totally understand why we didn't get live play that wasn't scripted to the gills before...Those were cringe worthy already, but the LPs raised the stakes to total house of pain!
On the other hand, it's nice to finally reach a definite decision about this: Wasn't sure to buy or not to buy, at least the basegame, but that does it!
Sims3, now that the store has stopped churning new stuff like crazy, AND the new mods that are coming out these days, is looking a whole new lot of sexy! :lovestruc

Will tag along for the next few weeks to watch the debacle unfold...Not nice, I know, but I think I still have some popcorn left from the SimCity thingy...
Advertisement
Instructor
#20452 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by that shitty review from the previous page
Everyone who has played The Sims knows that it’s not a game that you can easily dive in and do justice to in just two hours so we focused on emotions.

Then why the fuck write a review when even they admit that two hours is not enough to get acquainted with the game?
Field Researcher
#20453 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:32 PM
One thing I thought was strange about the LB, when they were trying to get the two Sims to woohoo:

I thought objects were supposed to affect Sims' emotions now. So, couldn't they get them in the mood for romance by adding a few "flirty" objects to the room they were in? That would've been a great opportunity to show off some new gameplay and also facilitate what they were trying to do.

I honestly can't tell if the game is really that bad or if EA's employees are just making it look bad.
Scholar
#20454 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:36 PM
"We love the tech bits too, having our Sim take a selfie and possessing a smartphone" did it for me.
Selfies are so tech right.

Combined with the techy career, I have no doubts that this game takes place in the armpits / geyser-toilets of Silicon Valley. The architecture serves to throw you off.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Scholar
#20455 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hawkearrow
(snip)
Great post. I definitely resonate with what you're saying. It's so sad that the current Sims Team don't realize how much depth the earlier games had. I also wish they had kept the game in a pseudo-50's time period. The smartphones etc. seem really out of place to me, somehow.

Oh god and that sexy Amber comment. I wish I could 'love' that twice

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Theorist
#20456 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:54 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey Peterson
In The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 they were very robotic in that they would do this and then they would do another thing, and having them do it all together really changes the dynamic of everything that’s happening behind the scenes.

I always laugh when they start spouting shit like this.

All of them need to grow up and stop tossing around this passive / aggressive bullshit. They made those games that way, not the player. When do they start saying "Hey! We fucked up and we're sorry that we put robots in your game." *hears crickets*
Mad Poster
#20457 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:57 PM
I find it odd that the Simgurus tweet everyday they are playing the game but sound so awkward and inexperienced while doing the LB. Even the guy who created build mode was grating my nerves with his indecisiveness. Maybe they do need scripts to do a good job because I am not feeling the love by EA employees. Nothing like I have seen in the past.

Fuck it! Just script that shit and move on. I get it, it's too hard and requires too much time to give a care. *sigh*

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20458 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I find it odd that the Simgurus tweet everyday they are playing the game

Except Graham who quite honestly tweets that he's playing everything but . (As in all the games I remember him tweeting have not been the sims)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#20459 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applefeather2
We are saved!
Ryan Vaughn: "There have been a lot of revolutions in the game over the last four games and I think some of the big stuff you're going to notice in The Sims 4 are the environments. The ability to go outside of your house and meet other Sims and form relationships."
Source: http://stevivor.com/2014/08/depth-e3-sims-4/

I....I wha....How did....IS HE FUCKING SERIOUS!?
Lab Assistant
#20460 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:05 PM
Quote:
but what’s new this time around is the existence of genetics.

YES! GENETICS ARE NEW! Like NEVER BEFORE!!!

Seriously, have these people played ANY previous sims game at all? They comment on features like work tones, wants and rewards, "imply sim's mother is a llama", bar brawls, taking a selfie, etc. like they are new.

I hate having things like date goals. What if I don't want this sim to have her first kiss just yet? Is her date already a failure? (Fits right in with the bro theme if you ask me...)

Quote:
Actually, this could be the most accurate representation of real-life as people tend to steer clear from a fight when it happens right in front of them.

Really? That's not what happens in my high school. IMO, if a fight breaks out in front of you, you either get involved, be a bystander (in which case you're focused on said fight, not ignoring it) or leave the area. Of course, sims can't actually go get the police if things look too ugly. Since, you know, there's no police.
Scholar
#20461 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2

You mean you couldn't do that in the last 3 Sims games, funny I distinctly remember going to the Old Town Market in Sims 1, and Pleasantview Park in Sims 2, and Sims 3 was all about getting out and visiting your neighbors .. I think they must have transferred all their smarts to their Sims, their next big LP selling point is going to be "Sims can now talk to each other, woohoo, and have children.. No more primitive Sims from past games that just stand their like objects" ohhh wait they do that to babies.
Scholar
#20462 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2

Yep. From last night's stream, one of them said something about Sims you create wandering around town and how it's new. They're taking things from old games, and swearing that it's new. They've done it before...
Test Subject
#20463 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:09 PM
Great post. I definitely resonate with what you're saying. It's so sad that the current Sims Team don't realize how much depth the earlier games had. I also wish they had kept the game in a pseudo-50's time period. The smartphones etc. seem really out of place to me, somehow.

Oh god and that sexy Amber comment. I wish I could 'love' that twice

Thank you.
Unfortunately I already bought the game, partly out of habit and partly out of a desire to point and laugh. Come September the 5th I may just have to depopulate Willow Creek and Sexy Amber the place to high heaven, like worker bees. Need Queen Sexy Amber. Should I do a Let's Play?

And the smartphones. I played University life only for a few minutes before gutting the behaviour files for them. My Persian grandmother character was hanging out next to the toilet streaming videos. FFS!!!
Lab Assistant
#20464 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joe95
Wait, wait, wait.. his name is actually Pancake Bob in the game? Just that?! Could this be even worse than the mess that was Cycl0n3 Sw0rd?

Haha I have a strange affinity towards Cycl0n3 Sw0rd... Maybe it helps that they didn't overhype his character
Field Researcher
#20465 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:09 PM
Umm, don't ask...don't tell.

Scholar
#20466 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Studio954

I must ask....
How?
Joke, right?
Field Researcher
#20467 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IrishA03
I must ask....
How?
Joke, right?

Nope. My computer is running a scan atm, then I will attempt to install it.

ETA It's two friggin discs btw.
Mad Poster
#20468 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:13 PM
Nope. My computer is running a scan atm, then I will attempt to install it.

ummmm...did you pirate it?
Theorist
#20469 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:13 PM

I patiently await for more screenshots to doodle on. That has been my favorite part of this whole ordeal.
Field Researcher
#20470 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:14 PM Last edited by AsaButler : 30th Aug 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Have they discussed how genetics work yet, specifically skin tones?
For the families that have children (I'm assuming the children are theirs), they seem to take after either one of the parents, as though there is no mixing.

Then again, I most certainly could be mistaken. Someone correct me, if I am wrong, with a video.

EDIT: Just watched the live broadcast on 29 August. Bella's baby didn't look like either, unless the lighting was affecting it. I hope it's not random....
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20471 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iwillnotbreak
Haha I have a strange affinity towards Cycl0n3 Sw0rd... Maybe it helps that they didn't overhype his character

Cycl0n3 Sw0rd really loves getting inexplicably naked in my game. He keeps turning up at the pool without a stitch on. Really likes to show off his sw0rd.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#20472 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:20 PM
I'm ready to see reviewers put this game down to be honest.
I wonder..
all the Sims LPers.. are they going to play with Sims 4 out of obligation of it being a new Sims game, or will some just stick to TS2 and/or TS3?
Scholar
#20473 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:21 PM
Thank you.
Unfortunately I already bought the game, partly out of habit and partly out of a desire to point and laugh. Come September the 5th I may just have to depopulate Willow Creek and Sexy Amber the place to high heaven, like worker bees. Need Queen Sexy Amber. Should I do a Let's Play?
Yes please!! Dumb as this game may be, it has some hilarious let's play potential. Especially with that Ambocapylse scenario.

Quote: Originally posted by Iil bag2
....I wha....How did....IS HE FUCKING SERIOUS!?
After reading that I had to leave a comment on the article. I hate when they can't even be bothered to do five minutes of research before writing a review.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Mad Poster
#20474 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:28 PM
Thank you.

And the smartphones. I played University life only for a few minutes before gutting the behaviour files for them. My Persian grandmother character was hanging out next to the toilet streaming videos. FFS!!!

MrHawk, you know I love you and your posts at the forums were gold! I don't normally give much attention to LPs but I think yours would be entertaining, I would love to see them.

After your last post, I totally understand you more now. I appreciate your posts more too because I wish to be so cool shutting someone up without being shouty and mean. :lovestruc

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#20475 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:39 PM Last edited by Deestar : 29th Aug 2014 at 4:53 PM.
I can see the first wave of mods now, "No Bro Trait" (Removes Bro Trait from CAS and replaces trait in townies who already have it), " No Silly Walks" (eliminates all walk styles but the default one), "Sim Attention Span" (causes Sims to focus attention on whatever they are doing) "SimGod" (forces your Sims to do things the old sandbox way e.g. doing what you the SimGod want them to)...

The yibsims might drink the koolaid but I don't see the average 13-17 year old drinking it, sorry but I have a 17 year old niece and a 9 year old niece so one teen and one preteen and they both responded to my frequent rants about this with "They took out what.. that is like so basic.. ummm its a life simulator and everyone is a toddler at one point... um dishwashers aren't those pretty normal.. I would rather spend 60 dollars on a new pair of jeans. ". Teens and preteens are a lot more tech savvy and a lot more financially savvy than the SimsTeam gives them credit for and are likely to recognize something is poor quality when they see it.

I don't see how they think that any of this was a selling point. If they had added stuff like bros or silly walks, while NOT removing the basic aspects of the game that were valuable to most of their fanbase it might have worked..

Umm yes we do like wacky, weird, and quirky but, we also like semi-realistic and in the real world babies morph into toddlers (correction, stated the opposite), teens are shorter than adults, you start your career as a dishwasher, and you can go build a hill in your backyard, swim in a pool, beat the s@# out of other people, be mean to them, have sex and be romantic with others etc...As much as I love the Sims I am very glad they did not send Franklin to Bioware because I also love Mass Effect and Dragon Age and I would've hated to see what she would have done to Dragon Age Inquisition. You would probably have to get rid of the main villain by hugging a unicorn, or have a therapy session between the mages and the templars in order to force peace between them... and Morrigan would be wearing pink.

I don't expect perfection from any gaming company.. glitches are to be expected as both computer hardware and computer software grow increasingly complex especially in terms of coding software (like games) so that they are as compatible with as wide a variety of hardware as possible but.. "its to hard" is not and excuse and if it is to hard maybe... just maybe game development, or anything to do with computers that doesn't involve refurbishing old Commodore 64's just isn't the career for your. Especially when modders old enough to be your parents can rip the code apart in a month and fix core problems and glitches that you were either to stupid or lazy to correct before game release.
Locked thread
Page 819 of 920