Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 12:17 AM
Default Wireless card
My computer was built with no wireless cards and I could use Ethernet (not possible) or these usb thingies that break after a year. Now mine is breaking again and I do not want to pay 30 USD to get something that would break again! Is buying a wireless card as difficult as buying a graphic card?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 5:02 AM
Harder? Uh in my opinion yes. The thing with video cards are there so many reviews online, and only maybe half a dozen reputable vendors.

Wireless cards all pretty much do the same thing. Once you know what kind of connectivity you need (802.11g/n/ac), you look at what kind of free socket you have on your motherboard and you buy a wireless that matches. However there are so many vendors. More famous ones like tp-link, asus, linksys but also offbrand chinese and taiwanese ones. There are also very few reviews online so can't do research online even if you wanted to. You have no way of knowing what it is you bought beforehand.

I dont know why your USB dongles are breaking after a year but that's not normal. I've bought three and they all lasted me well into four years each. I just make sure to disconnect them when I'm not using them and keep the area well ventilated (and cool if possible). The ones I bought are cheap ones too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 10:07 PM
Wiping out my computer and reinstalling the software did the trick. but if it freaks out again I will take your advice!