Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 12:13 PM
Default TSRW and Alpha Testing
As some of you know TSRW has been in alpha testing for a couple of weeks now. While it is far from ready for public release, as we don't want to be responsible for broken content in the community, we are looking for experienced object creators to join TSR in testing. You would be free to post the objects to MTS, you would not have to post on TSR. We have a Skype chat where everything is being done so we can keep track of bugs.

We are hoping to slowly get this ready for a general public release and the help of other creators will be instrumental and also give you a chance to fill your passion for creating.

If you are interested please either PM me on TSR with links to your work or here at MTS. I may be slow to answer here, but I will periodically check messages.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:16 PM
Posting some extra explanation in here. All of this has unfortunately caused some confusement, which has not been the intention. TSR Workshop will (when it's ready) become available for everyone and will (just as with Sims 3) be completey free.

So why is it not available right now, why this inviting for extra testing, and what's the thing with only experienced creators?

A lot of things can currently be done with the latest Workshop test version. But also a lot of things can't be done yet. Most important, it will need a few workarounds for some things that do work. Making the current test version available for everyone would lead to many complaints of "it doesn't work" and also have the Sims 4 community possibly being flooded with objects that could show all kinds of issues. And we don't want to be the cause of that.

But we do listen to what is being said in the community. And specially the things being said about TSR keeping object creating for itself, allowing only TSR creators to create objects with the new Workshop version. So far, the main reason for having only (experienced) object creators from TSR work with it, is to keep control over objects being published or not. So we're sure only correct functioning objects will be published, and have it replaced or removed when it shows an issue after all. But preferably, we don't want it to be a TSR exclusive thing. There are many object creators outside TSR, and many of them we assume interested in having a chance to make the first objects of Sims 4. But again: we also don't want to cause the community being flooded with bad functioning objects. So that's why we reach out, and ask for some experienced creators who could be interrested in this.

So what will count as experienced?
First of all: it's not ment as a "learn how to mesh objects" or "converting Sims 3 objects to Sims 4" thing. So we're assuming anyone interrested knows how to mesh, uv-map, assign bones and know their way around in their graphics program to make textures. Milkshape needs to be used to export the meshes to Workshop, but you can do the main meshing/mapping in another meshing program.
Most of all we're looking for object creators who will feel responsable for only publishing their creation when they're sure everything works correct (or update the file when an issue will show up).

I hope this will clear things up a bit on why we're asking for testers from outside TSR.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 9:23 PM
I agree, I never created an object in tsw, but I like to test programs and learn to do things for the game etc, then I entered the Modthesims, I do a lot apredi
Do wall etc.More quise xml files if I test the tsw shown tuturiais, I accept
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 10:20 PM Last edited by CircusWolf : 18th Oct 2014 at 5:48 PM.
Not trying to fight, have a genuine question.

What are the needs for people who make new meshes? are you gonna be having them create whole new things never before seen? are you experimenting with slots, Geostates, scripting and the like? I kinda feel like the "people making new meshes" thing seems like an odd thing because you have your own artists making meshes and you have a trove of artists who are there making meshes over there that could test.

Tbh, I would consider applying (not really), but I would want to know what in the world I'm gonna have to be doing and what I would be allowed to do. Maybe if you gave more in depth info than just "well we need experienced people", you'd probably get people thinking and looking at applying.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:30 AM
jeangraff30: At this moment we're specifically looking for people who already have experience with creating objects (in the past for Sims 3 or Sims 2). Since bugs can and will show up during creating, it's not so much suitable or ment for people who want to learn to create objects. So if you want to learn how to create objects, it's best to wait untill a bug free version will be available for everyone.

Levini/CircusWolf: Most of the time we're not having them create something specific. People are free to choose whatever they want to make, although some things simply can't be made yet, because it's not working (fully) yet. If a new feature has been enabled/bug has been removed, we'll mention it and then ofcourse they will be more then welcome to test it. The reason why we're asking for the testers to be experienced creators is because it's not ment as a "learn how to mesh" course. Simply because the focus should be on issues that show up in Workshop or specific Sims 4 releated creating issues, and not on things like how to uv map or how to make a lower poly version of the mesh for the low lods. We're assuming them to know all that stuff and that they're aware of creations needing to function correctly ingame before making them available for downloading.

The reasons why we're having a test group like this are:
1) Find bugs. While it may seem that it's pointless to have other people import a mesh after we've seen already that it can be imported, it actually is very usefull to do the testing with a larger group. We've seen for instance issues with other languages. We've seen cases where some people had a lot of bugs show up where others didn't. In that case it turns out that people doing things in a certain way was triggering a certain bug. And also, different types of objects can have different issues. Being able to create a new chair and have it function correctly ingame will not mean that it will also function correctly if you do the same with for instance a lamp. Having more people testing is increasing the chance to find an issue.

2) Give more people the chance to create objects already for Sims 4.
Workshop is simply not ready yet for public release. But it can be used when keeping in mind the restrictions it has at this moment. So we also want to use this to give more people the chance to create objects for Sims 4 right now, while still trying to make sure that the Sims 4 community is not flooded with objects that don't function correctly. The testers can upload their creations where ever they want, it's not in any way restricted to TSR.

We've seen comments from people who feel that TSR is keeping the object creating for itself, while that never has been the intention. There are simply more issues showing up than expected up front, and some of the EA coding is just not making things easier. But I'm sure you're aware of that, as you're part of the Sims4Studio development team.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 11:54 AM
thank you, i think best a more stable version
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 10:51 PM
Something I don't understand...why couldn't you just search for experienced object creators from the downloads menu?

~ Turn my world. Precious thing. ~

~ Some even call me mad.
And why? Because I dared to dream of my own race of atomic monsters,
atomic supermen with octagonal shaped bodies that suck blood.... ~
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 7:20 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 19th Oct 2014 at 7:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Screaming Mustard
Something I don't understand...why couldn't you just search for experienced object creators from the downloads menu?

Because there are no experienced TS4 object creators yet except at TSR, and of the experienced TS3 object creators, we don't yet know if they're interested in creating for TS4.

Quote: Originally posted by AnoeskaB
We've seen comments from people who feel that TSR is keeping the object creating for itself, while that never has been the intention. There are simply more issues showing up than expected up front, and some of the EA coding is just not making things easier.

We do absolutely sympathize with the new challenge posed by object formats in TS4

IMO, though, the objection is more that TSR is keeping the discoveries behind its software to itself. We haven't seen whatever file format specs you've already figured out for objects shared publicly anywhere. There was a lot of discussion of this issue with the first TSRW for TS3, and eventually TSR did update the wiki here so the wider tools community could be helped by the information... since TSR had already been using info produced by the wider community in TSRW. Would be nice if that kind of exchange happened again.

Different creators prefer different styles of creation tools, so the more info is shared, the more tools and the better for everybody. And since ALL the tools are free, it's not like anybody's livelihood is threatened by "competition".
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 8:57 AM
Is there anyone who got the test version? I sent a PM at TSR a few days ago and did not even receive an answer.

Fairy Forest - Downloads for the Sims
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 8:59 AM
Did you provide a link to where they can see your previous work? You only seem to have two uploads at MTS.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:10 AM
@julsfels - did you contact via TSR or here? Your work is EXCELLENT and I would definitely say TSR - give this creator access

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 11:02 AM
Yes, I sent a PM to TheNumbersWoman at TSR, and posted a link to my homepage, too.

EDIT: okay, got an answer now.

Fairy Forest - Downloads for the Sims
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 11:05 AM
I am sure you'll hear something soon. I saw your site, the stuff looks great!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)