Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#7151 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BubblesO
So you're basically saying that I have to show my boobs and complain on Twiter in-order to get CAS? No problem!

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#7152 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 1:57 PM
So you're basically saying that I have to show my boobs and complain on Twiter in-order to get CAS? No problem!

I LOVE how people marked my comment as "Helpful"
Mad Poster
#7153 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:12 PM
There is a GraphicsRules.sgr file with the Demo files which, I say, appears to be the file from the complete game. The file has the graphics settings/options and all the other stuff which is in the Options menu, similar to this file in TS3. There is some interesting stuff in it.

setProp $ConfigGroup RenderLimitFrameRate 100

I don't really know, but this is presumably to prevent that issue in Sims3 with some graphics cards running at 600 FPS or whatever.

option UIMute
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup UIMute 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup UIMute 1
end
setOption UIMute $Off

Presumably this above is to turn off the mouse-click sounds when playing, to silence the UI; I don't know what else this would be. This option isn't in the Sims3 file.

option NPCReplacement
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup NPCReplacement 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup NPCReplacement 1
end
setOption NPCReplacement $On

This must be the NPC sim or household being moved into an empty house when a family dies out (the entirety of their story progression, besides the aging). So it appears to me anyway that this can be turned off if one wants.

option ShowModListStartup
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup ShowModListStartup 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup ShowModListStartup 1
end
setOption ShowModListStartup $On
option ScriptModsEnabled
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup ScriptModsEnabled 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup ScriptModsEnabled 1
end
setOption ScriptModsEnabled $Off

Wow! They formally acknowledge the existence of "mods"?

There are also options for online stuff: ShowOnlineNotifications, AutoReconnect, OnlineAccess, and DisableComments. I think these are Gallery options and all of them can be turned on or off. So in theory, if one turns these all off, the next time one starts the game the Gallery will be turned off, it won't be turning itself on automatically every time one fires up the game.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Mad Poster
#7154 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:20 PM
I was actually wondering about that. I don't have the demo, but I wondered if it could fry a graphics card or not. I was going to make sure vsync was turned on in my Nvidia control panel, just in case, whenever I do get the demo.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Instructor
#7155 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The dumb thing is, there easily could have been. The adjustment zones on the face ARE sliders, they're just sliders on the face. Somewhere, there's hidden numerical data for cheekbone width, cheekbone depth, mouth width, mouth curve, mouth corner tilt, eye size, etc., they could have just given us a little expandable panel on the side that had old-style sliders for us old fogeys stuck in our ways... or just for people who didn't want to spend six hours learning where all the click points are and which mode they're in.

Having a separate expandable window with the old silders would be the best thing, but even just a little box somewhere discreet that displayed the name of the facial stucture you had highlighted would be helpful so you could memorise it easier instead of blindly clicking to get 'that spot on the nose'. Also would help people communicate their ideas and feedback more easily if someone needed help creating a sim.
Field Researcher
#7156 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:25 PM
I know I usually complain about EA but they've done a very good job with how the sims (Sims themself, not the series) look.

Field Researcher
#7157 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
There is a GraphicsRules.sgr file with the Demo files which, I say, appears to be the file from the complete game. The file has the graphics settings/options and all the other stuff which is in the Options menu, similar to this file in TS3. There is some interesting stuff in it.

setProp $ConfigGroup RenderLimitFrameRate 100

I don't really know, but this is presumably to prevent that issue in Sims3 with some graphics cards running at 600 FPS or whatever.

option UIMute
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup UIMute 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup UIMute 1
end
setOption UIMute $Off

Presumably this above is to turn off the mouse-click sounds when playing, to silence the UI; I don't know what else this would be. This option isn't in the Sims3 file.

option NPCReplacement
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup NPCReplacement 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup NPCReplacement 1
end
setOption NPCReplacement $On

This must be the NPC sim or household being moved into an empty house when a family dies out (the entirety of their story progression, besides the aging). So it appears to me anyway that this can be turned off if one wants.

option ShowModListStartup
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup ShowModListStartup 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup ShowModListStartup 1
end
setOption ShowModListStartup $On
option ScriptModsEnabled
setting $Off
prop $ConfigGroup ScriptModsEnabled 0
setting $On
prop $ConfigGroup ScriptModsEnabled 1
end
setOption ScriptModsEnabled $Off

Wow! They formally acknowledge the existence of "mods"?

There are also options for online stuff: ShowOnlineNotifications, AutoReconnect, OnlineAccess, and DisableComments. I think these are Gallery options and all of them can be turned on or off. So in theory, if one turns these all off, the next time one starts the game the Gallery will be turned off, it won't be turning itself on automatically every time one fires up the game.

I just watched SimsVIP played the CAS DEMO and there IS a UI sound volume setting in the option menu...
There's also a Vsync and Laptop Mode option too...

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Field Researcher
#7158 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:34 PM
SimsVip asked this in her interview with graham. He said, they support custom content and mods, and you could see in the gallery, if something needs/was done with mods or cc. From the interview transcript:

Quote:
SimGuruGraham: Yeah, it's a very interesting point, and of course there's a big distinction between what a mod is and what custom content is. Mods don't go on the gallery at all so you won't be downloading those but of course we do support you modding the game, bringing that in, if you want that experience you'll still have it. Custom content, on the other hand, can be shared via the gallery and we have a flag on each piece of content that you upload so you can check that off and say this is modded content, and that way when people grab it and pull it down into their game they know beforehand.

What you found, might be related to that.
Lab Assistant
#7159 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:38 PM
My only two complaints about the demo (which I just played for five hours):

1) The push-pull "tactile" system isn't as easy as it looks. It takes a lot of getting used to, and doesn't work very well IMO.
2) This is easily fixable with CC, but oh my god...the eyes look TERRIBLY cartoony, and make the faces look totally bizarre. The only good eye color is the darkest brown...for some reason that one looks realistic, but the blue one, for example, is just bright, bright blue with a ring of black around it...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7160 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:41 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 10th Jul 2014 at 4:02 PM.
Okay so my informant spy snitch friend kindly provided this insanely detailed systematic list of ALL the sliders that can be found in TS4.

Body sliders:
- Neck width
- Shoulder width
- Upper arm thickness
- Lower arm thickness
- Upper leg thickness
- Lower leg thickness
- Foot size
- Chest tilt (posture)
- Hip width
- Waist width
- Butt size
- Tummy size
- Chest thickness/barrel chest (male only)
- Chest width (male only)
- Breast size (female only)
- Breast perky/sag (female only)

There is also a general fat/thin slider and a muscularity slider, which affect all body sliders as well as the body texture overlays.

Face Sliders

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#7161 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:49 PM
Oh, wow, thanks for posting this! I read in the official CAS lessons that some options are only available from a sideview. They said belly size is one of those. I think, butt size, too.
Theorist
#7162 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
Oh dear... poor Graham is getting hated on, on Twitter...

IHATEUGRAHAM ‏@grahamsnghtmare 2h
@SimGuruSarah @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruRyan @SimGuruAzure I hate this guys. I hate all of them.

IHATEUGRAHAM ‏@grahamsnghtmare
@SimGuruSarah @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruRyan @SimGuruAzure GRAHAM PLEASE GET OUT. WE HATE YOU. ALL FANS HATE YOU UNDERSTAND IT!
https://twitter.com/grahamsnghtmare...005200914210816

....same tw@t threatened physical violence earlier too... which Graham promptly retweeted

Retweeted by Graham Nardone
IHATEUGRAHAM ‏@grahamsnghtmare 1h
@SimGuruSarah @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruRyan @SimGuruAzure I WANT PUNCH YOUR FACE GRAHAM YOU DESERVE IT
https://twitter.com/grahamsnghtmare...004505930608642

....people are truly that stupid/insane/ignorant....

I'm no fan of, EA. But seriously, people really need to learn to separate the corporation from the employee(s).

Not only is this childish, but if this person continues down this path, it will soon be considered Cyber Bullying...which is a crime.

Think it's really time for some people to take a deep breath and get a grip.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7163 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Candacis
Oh, wow, thanks for posting this! I read in the official CAS lessons that some options are only available from a sideview. They said belly size is one of those. I think, butt size, too.

Yeah, that's correct, some of the body sliders only work in profile, others only straight-on. Try to grab the tummy in profile and you adjust the sim's belly. Grab the same spot straight-on and you adjust the waist width instead. The body sliders are apparently fairly intuitive when it comes to whether or not they work straight-on or profile and there's no detail/regular mode, unlike the face sliders which are just...

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#7164 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
Lol talking about american things. I never saw the use of a mailbox as example since we don't have any here in the Netherlands. They just throw it in/through your door whatever you wanna call it. I always forgot to check my mailbox in the Sims 2 because I am not used to checking mailboxed. So I was very happy about the 'automatic pay bill' function in the Sims 3 haha.

Very true. I always forget to pay the bills too because I never had to check a mailbox either. Though, I now live in an appartment building so there actually -are- mailboxes downstairs, but I still never check it unless I know something's coming. Otherwise I just let my boyfriend get the mail.
Test Subject
#7165 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
I'm no fan of, EA. But seriously, people really need to learn to separate the corporation from the employee(s).

Not only is this childish, but if this person continues down this path, it will soon be considered Cyber Bullying...which is a crime.

Think it's really time for some people to take a deep breath and get a grip.

All hail the mighty power of pixel power... I doubt any of the guru's are phased by this person.
Theorist
#7166 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:20 PM
Yeah, that's correct, some of the body sliders only work in profile, others only straight-on. Try to grab the tummy in profile and you adjust the sim's belly. Grab the same spot straight-on and you adjust the waist width instead. The body sliders are apparently fairly intuitive when it comes to whether or not they work straight-on or profile and there's no detail/regular mode, unlike the face sliders which are just...

This would explain some of the SNAFUs I've seen in some Lets Plays. One in particular wouldn't allow the person to adjust the tip of the nose. He wanted it to go up so the nose looked less like a beak, but after fudging around with it for a solid 3 minutes or so, the person gave up and moved on to something else.

I've seen the same thing happen with eyebrows, ears and other facial features from others.

Take something simple like a slider and make it a miserable tool which leaves all sims looking like clones. Another thing that is constantly being bitched about with Sims 3 and yet I'm seeing it all over place with TS4. Males either have a square jaw or the face is somewhat heart shaped. Female sims are the same way and all of them have chipmunk cheeks.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7167 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
This would explain some of the SNAFUs I've seen in some Lets Plays. One in particular wouldn't allow the person to adjust the tip of the nose. He wanted it to go up so the nose looked less like a beak, but after fudging around with it for a solid 3 minutes or so, the person gave up and moved on to something else.

I've seen the same thing happen with eyebrows, ears and other facial features from others.

That's probably a matter of not being in the right mode - there's detail mode and regular mode for faces, and what is in which one has some overlap and looking at the full list, IMO, has very little logic involved. You really have to memorize what sliders are in what mode, what place, and whether or not the sim has to be straight on or profile to access the desired slider. In the process of making that list, several "new" (previously unknown) sliders were discovered because... Why would you click on the cheek to adjust the jaw, or the inner eye corner to adjust the eyelid? Or the forehead to adjust the lower face width? Madness.

Mad Poster
#7168 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cece15624
I had a dream that I got an email from EA, it said "The Sims" on it

My face lit up and I quickly clicked the email. It said that I should pre-order The Sims 4.

EA even trolls me in my dreams.

I actually did get an email saying Sims 4. But it was from Amazon, not EA. I brought some Sims 2 Gamecube games there a little while ago and now I'm getting recommendations for TS3 and TS4.
Field Researcher
#7169 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:35 PM
I know I usually complain about EA but they've done a very good job with how the sims (Sims themself, not the series) look.

I agree! It's alot easier to make unique sims (Except their clothing because no color wheel), but otherwise making sims look different is really easy and it's alot easier making people from around the world!
Some of mine:

Inconceivable!
#7170 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Manueldog
and they look better than the Sims 3 Sims with CC!

You and that other poster got me wondering about this, so I tried to recreate a TS4 sim in TS3 (using CC) to see what I thought. I don't want to start up that argument again, as I agree that it really is just a matter of personal preference, but I thought you guys might be curious. I know she's not perfect, but it's good enough to compare I hope.

Theorist
#7171 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:36 PM
That's probably a matter of not being in the right mode - there's detail mode and regular mode for faces, and what is in which one has some overlap and looking at the full list, IMO, has very little logic involved. You really have to memorize what sliders are in what mode, what place, and whether or not the sim has to be straight on or profile to access the desired slider. In the process of making that list, several "new" (previously unknown) sliders were discovered because... Why would you click on the cheek to adjust the jaw, or the inner eye corner to adjust the eyelid? Or the forehead to adjust the lower face width? Madness.

Absolutely.

They did the same thing with the accessory catagory. Instead of putting necklaces in with watches, bracelets, ect... one has to go to the face section. (?) I'm not positive which one they are in, but necklaces are not where they should be. It is almost as if they put on blindfolds and threw a dart at a list to see where to plunk items.
Top Secret Researcher
#7172 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:40 PM

If your idea of good is Saturday morning cartoons, then yes. Every single image I've seen of TS4 sims shows me just how crappy the game is going to be. I have yet to see a single TS4 sim where the body parts are proportional to each other the way real human bodies are.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Field Researcher
#7173 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:41 PM
Here's an odd, random thought: Are there any BOOKS in the game?

With the news that newspapers are gone and Sims have all "gone digital", I'm starting to question everything.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7174 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:41 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 10th Jul 2014 at 3:55 PM.
One thing can be said for CAS: It is apparently very easy to make androgynous ladies with the new sliders:

Don't think it'd be quite so easy with the men all being so square-jawed and hard-faced but... I guess we'll see as more sim pics crop up.

ETA:

Bit more difficult to make an androgynous man, I guess mostly due to lack of good hair, the slider limits, and just the textures being distinctly dude-like. Also there's no makeup for guys besides eyeshadow and liner.

Theorist
#7175 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buckley
You and that other poster got me wondering about this, so I tried to recreate a TS4 sim in TS3 (using CC) to see what I thought. I don't want to start up that argument again, as I agree that it really is just a matter of personal preference, but I thought you guys might be curious. I know she's not perfect, but it's good enough to compare I hope.

I think you did a good job with the comparison. When I mentioned chipmunk cheeks, I'm referring to the cheekbone area. In TS3 that area can be altered with sliders so the sim doesn't look like they have excess amounts of fat in that area.

It isn't important, just a observation. Maybe when people learn how to use the new sliders this issue will go away. *shrugs*
Locked thread
Page 287 of 920