Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#9026 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
But Inge, even if was online up until a year ago, the model was still not that of TSO, as, unless I'm mistaken, we were still going to be purchasing a $60 to $80 base game, plus EPs/SPs/DLC on top of that, and I am hard pressed to imagine that with that kind of investment, we would be offered items for essentially only "single use" through the Store/Exchange. Maybe if TS4 Online was going to be offered as free to play, relying on only those microtransactions for revenue, I could accept that explanation. But, and again, maybe I'm mistaken, the model for TS4 was always that of a purchased base game plus all the extras, and not a "free to play" giveaway to entice you into buying essentially single use (or single sim use) hairstyles (or fancy couch to cuddle up on) so your sim could look good for that Friday night date you had arranged. It was never going to be Second Life or IMVU. Then again, even there, if you did buy the object, you could use it more than once, right?

I really think the more likely explanation is that it was "too much work", a la car door animations, to bring the repoman back. Same story as optimizing CAST, fixing open world, or putting some time into rebuilding story progression. It's my conclusion from all the evidence that we've seen (can't forget those pesky to program toddlers and pools, either) that EA expects us to pay a premium price commanded by a AAA game franchise for some bargain bin piece of crap that they couldn't be bothered funding for proper development.

Sure, top games do command a $60 to $70 price tag these days. But those are games that show effort expended creating them. Not just throwing some shit against the wall, and calling it a work of art. Which is what TS4 has shaped up to be.

I disagreed because when this was designed to be an online game I think it would have required the player to purchase items like the usual design of online games. I don't think EPs would have existed, the content would all be piecemeal. Since I don't really play online games my understanding is limited but I doubt we would have had EPs, not like we've traditionally had for Sims games. In fact, I'm not sure even now there will be EPs, Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if instead there will be "packs" of various sizes (some would be more extensive than others maybe) available for download. They have not specified how additional gameplay content will get added to the game, and they have changed so much with TS4 I am not assuming anything.

For those who do play these kinds of games - functionality is usually added in patches, right? But you have to purchase items to actually benefit from the functionality? I don't see how else it would have worked. You can't invite other players into your game if the game varies that much from player to player, could you?

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#9027 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:30 PM
Again it begs the question, what is so great and new about this series that the normal sims stuff is too hard and expensive so it must be cut? Why getting some game play video is like pulling teeth, wisdom teeth at that? Who thought being secretive and not say anything until the game is released will be the best marketing strategy? I hope the thought we will buy because it's The Sims is not the business model of the day.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9028 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
Somebody remembers all the food stands from the Sims 1? Icecream, sushi, coffee, fruit drinks etc. They were amazing and made the community actually 'vibrant'. Good old times.

No sushi, as I remember it, though I agree sushi is excellent and would be even more excellent if it was in game. (Went to a great new sushi bar yesterday AAMOF).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#9029 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:34 PM
Sims 4 Gameplay walkthrough released in German!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uut_YLu10fI
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9030 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:38 PM
Oh Lord - that looks as bad as I thought it would. Going to try to persuade Him Indoors to give me a running translation.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
#9031 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
No sushi, as I remember it, though I agree sushi is excellent and would be even more excellent if it was in game. (Went to a great new sushi bar yesterday AAMOF).

There came a sushi bar with Superstar.
Field Researcher
#9032 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:41 PM
Oh, so it pretty much was the demo they showed at E3. Bros, gym (why always the gym?!), Kim Jong Un, burning to death.

Clocked the load screen at 15s.
Mad Poster
#9033 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It's all about the bugs.

We get it, Grant. EA only ships the highest quality of games out the door.

*dies of laughter*

The bugs that only they'll see? Hahaha yeah okay. Because they're so great at fixing all the bugs and glitches before they get to us
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9034 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:45 PM
The first thing we got from that was Grant saying that the beta version they are playing with is one month old.

Field Researcher
#9035 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
But Inge, even if was online up until a year ago, the model was still not that of TSO, as, unless I'm mistaken, we were still going to be purchasing a $60 to $80 base game, plus EPs/SPs/DLC on top of that, and I am hard pressed to imagine that with that kind of investment, we would be offered items for essentially only "single use" through the Store/Exchange. Maybe if TS4 Online was going to be offered as free to play, relying on only those microtransactions for revenue, I could accept that explanation. But, and again, maybe I'm mistaken, the model for TS4 was always that of a purchased base game plus all the extras, and not a "free to play" giveaway to entice you into buying essentially single use (or single sim use) hairstyles (or fancy couch to cuddle up on) so your sim could look good for that Friday night date you had arranged. It was never going to be Second Life or IMVU. Then again, even there, if you did buy the object, you could use it more than once, right?

I really think the more likely explanation is that it was "too much work", a la car door animations, to bring the repoman back. Same story as optimizing CAST, fixing open world, or putting some time into rebuilding story progression. It's my conclusion from all the evidence that we've seen (can't forget those pesky to program toddlers and pools, either) that EA expects us to pay a premium price commanded by a AAA game franchise for some bargain bin piece of crap that they couldn't be bothered funding for proper development.

Sure, top games do command a $60 to $70 price tag these days. But those are games that show effort expended creating them. Not just throwing some shit against the wall, and calling it a work of art. Which is what TS4 has shaped up to be.

I am pretty sure the original Sims 4 would be a free to play game like Habbo and it would he a chatbox where you could life,play and chat with your friends in a Sims world. I don't understand why EA didn't released both version the online version looked like a nice idea. Especially since Habbo is dying right now. Not that they should replace the normal Sims but I doubt they would ever do that. The Sims Olympus was just a spin off.

I still don't believe they made their decision because of Simcity since Olympus would be a real online game and require a internet connection while Simcity was just DRM. Big difference.
Mad Poster
#9036 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:50 PM
Why is there only a German video? I don't get this new fangled marketing strategy these days.

Wake me when CAS is over.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Theorist
#9037 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:52 PM
@TanookiMark - I don't agree that this is true about SimCity. The whole game was designed as a multi-player game. Even playing offline by myself, I've never been able to build just one city. You need more than one city in a region just to provide workers, or electricity, or education, or oil, or whatever resource you need. I don't see how you could put everything you need in just one of those tiny city plots. Maybe it's different now that there is a mod to increase the city size, but I always ended having to build 2-3 extra cities in one region. To me that spells out multi-player design.

And speaking of SimCity, what happened if one player bought the EP future city expansion and you played with another player who didn't? Maybe it didn't matter in that game, since everyone stayed within their own cities anyway. The online sims game would have been different because you invited other players into your neighborhood, I think? It's difficult to tell how exactly it would have worked and we'll probably never know for sure now. Heck, we can't even get an answer to how the game works as an offline game.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#9038 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Why is there only a German video? I don't get this new fangled marketing strategy these days.

They should be uploading it right now but maybe the germany office has a better internet connection than the american.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9039 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:54 PM
There came a sushi bar with Superstar.

Ah OK - sushi is still excellent though.

Him Indoors is struggling with the translation - I'm sure some of our German members would make a better job.

Mad Poster
#9040 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:55 PM
4 minutes in. Thoughts: I'm not a big fan of the live mode UI.

It looks just like that one we saw like a year ago that we all thought was just a prototype that would be fixed later.
Lab Assistant
#9041 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:59 PM
The UI seems so....plain. Like really basic and plastic.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9042 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40

Cos they won the World Cup

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#9043 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lumialover8

Holy crap! I'm watching it right now! I'll be back with some impressions. :D
Mad Poster
#9044 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:01 PM
On the upside, the loading screens don't seem as bad as people kept saying they would be. TS2 fans will probably be happy.
Field Researcher
#9045 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:04 PM
Oh god... no taxi what so ever...
Its just like a fast travel system when you going to community lot, like Skyrim
Choose a sim to travel with, select lot and BAM, you arrived there, no public transport (taxi), no walking to edge of lot (like walk to lot in sims 2) NOTHING.

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Field Researcher
#9046 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:05 PM
Somebody remembers all the food stands from the Sims 1? Icecream, sushi, coffee, fruit drinks etc. They were amazing and made the community actually 'vibrant'. Good old times.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon

They has them in TS2 - from Bon Voyage, I believe. Not as much variety, though, only four types of food stands with different cuisine types - one for each destination and one which was just American (hotdogs etc)

Check out The Moore Legacy, a Sims4 legacy blog.
Also - Stranded on Sixam Challenge... Can your sim live long-term on an alien planet?
Theorist
#9047 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
All of these hysterical questions have been answered.

As for testing servers - there are optional and mandatory online features, most crucial of which are: downloading the game and subsequent expansions, downloading store and exchange content, and patching the game - this in addition to the other optional online social features that we don't know a ton about yet.

I really don't get what is difficult to comprehend about this. The fact that this staggered release of the CAS demo is controversial is deeply disturbing to me.

My point was and is...

TS2 had the Exchange and a Store and EA didn't need to "stress test" the servers they were on and it worked.

TS3 has the Exchange and the capability to go online to post memories, share them on their EA TS3 Page at the official site, share them on Facebook and Twitter, it has the Store that we (yes I have bought from the Store) purchase items/sets from out of the game and in-game, and there were no servers tested for that.

So... TS4 comes around and they're "testing" servers like an MMO ... and this game is supposed to be offline? There's a disconnect here that I'm not understanding. We know that TS4 will have their version of the Exchange called The Gallery, we know that EP's and SP's will have Digital Downloads when they roll those out, we know EA will probably have a Store (to be named something else since they renamed the Exchange) for TS4... same thing but they're testing... hmmmm. Sounds suspicious to me.

And no the questions weren't hysterical, more like suspicious.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#9048 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:06 PM
Oh god the sideways text is still there KILL ME NOW

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Scholar
#9049 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:07 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 19th Jul 2014 at 6:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I can't stop picturing Graham coming here to tell us that they couldn't include women because they were a lot of work and too expensive.

After what I'm gonna start calling "Bobbie-gate", we all know that it wouldn't be the women that got cut 'cause after all, BOOBIES!!!

EDIT:
Quote: Originally posted by lumialover8

Why do I feel like we learned nothing new? Oh! That would be because WE DIDN'T!!! WTF!!????!!!!!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Scholar
#9050 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:07 PM
In the gameplay video, I noticed that the dropdown menu for socializing and Go here and etc doesn't have the sim's head anymore.
Locked thread
Page 362 of 920