Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 8:10 PM Last edited by DevX : 12th Aug 2016 at 7:32 PM.
Default [SOLVED] S4PE Errors & Problems! [SOLVED]
I can not preview files at all!

preview error:
Code:
Error reading resource 0x62ECC59A-0x00000000-0xA90FFC3E02B5E102
Front-end Distribution: 
Library Distribution: 

Source: s4pi.WrapperDealer
Assembly: s4pi.WrapperDealer, Version=1606.5.1801.23430, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Could not find a resource handler
----
Stack trace:
   vid s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.WrapperForType(String type, Int32 APIversion, Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi\WrapperDealer\WrapperDealer.cs:rad 128
   vid s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.GetResource(Int32 APIversion, IPackage pkg, IResourceIndexEntry rie, Boolean AlwaysDefault) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi\WrapperDealer\WrapperDealer.cs:rad 66
   vid S4PIDemoFE.MainForm.browserWidget1_SelectedResourceChanged(Object sender, ResourceChangedEventArgs e) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pe\MainForm.cs:rad 2653
----
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 9:27 PM
Unrar it using 7zip instead of whatever you tried to unrar it with

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Unrar it using 7zip

lemme try that...

instead of whatever you tried to unrar it with

I used Winrar...
so WinRAR does not work?
#4 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 9:20 AM
Well for some reason, as of a couple years back, it started happening that normal mods were ok with WinRAR and windows native zip, but modding tools started giving that error, and we traced it back to them not being unarchived properly. Through trial and error it turned out that 7zip was the only reliable unarchiver for tools! No idea why, maybe someone else knows why.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#5 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 10:54 PM
There is nothing inherent to Sims 4 that makes 7zip a requirement for reliably unarchiving modding tools made for this game and there are other Sims 4 tools that don't have this problem. I think the reason s4pe requires 7zip is because it has a bug.
#6 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 7:25 AM
Do you have any further information about what could be fixed to prevent this effect? It definitely is not *only* s4pe, but I can't argue that there may be other tools without the problem. But it could be there is something else they have in common other than a s4pe bug.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 9:16 AM
The only application (Sims-related or not) I've ever come across that has this problem is s4pe. (Am really curious as to what other apps have also shown this issue?) I've noted that the updated wrappers which have been released for s4pe, such as the CASP updates Cmar provides, also have to be unzipped with 7zip or else they don't work. Unzipped with 7Zip, they're fine. Maybe knowing that even just individual wrappers have the problem, might help make it possible to track down where the bug emanates from - maybe in how wrappers are produced?

IIRC, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to use 7zip to extract s3pe, I think I was able to just unzip it using the built-in Windows unzipper without any problems. Memory is hazy about that so am not 100% sure, but I just don't remember having ever encountered this problem before, with ANYthing.
#8 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 9:25 AM
I thought it started being an issue shortly before TS4, but wasn't reported much as most people used the installer. It could be that it's only tools based on the s3/4pi library, that I can't say for sure. It's only when I recognise the particualr error message (could not find a resource handler) which is specific to s3/4pi that I know thats what the problem is. But I have definitely seen other toolmakers or their helpers advising users to use 7zip for their tools, which would seem to indicate it's not just s4p*e* as a tool in itself with the issue.

Alchemist
#9 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:59 PM
There is no question there are Sims 4 modding tools without this issue. I only use Sims 4 Studio, so I can't speak to whether other apps share this problem or what could be causing it. All I can say is that it isn't something inherent to Sims 4 modding which indicates the source of this limitation in functionality is a bug. Like Es, I have never run into any application of any kind that has this problem and, even Googling it doesn't turn up a similar instance.
#10 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 5:07 PM
But you have no idea of the nature of the bug? I find it hard to think of a bug in any application that would affect compression or archiving of its dlls or exes. Surely it would have to be a bug in the program that created the archive?

Anyway, hopefully the OP found that 7zip allowed him to use s4pe as he wished

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#11 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 7:03 PM
Just to make it even more confusing, I can use Windows' built in extract and it runs fine. Seems to depend on the individual computer as well, and the only dependable method is to extract with 7-Zip. I strongly suspect it has to do with the way WrapperDealer loads the wrappers, but no idea exactly how that could be affected by the compression/extractor and why it would show up only(?) with s4pe when S3PE used the exact same method.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 7:52 PM
To refresh my memory re s3pe, I just downloaded the last 'Unpack It Yourself' version to see what that was like - and it's a .7z file, not a .zip file, so it opens with 7Zip. If I change the extension to .zip and click it to open it, Windows gives an error message that it 'can not open the folder' and that the file is 'invalid'. I think that's why I don't remember having had problems with S3PE - it would only open with 7Zip, so getting messed up by unarchiving with the Windows extractor was not an option back then.

One the other hand, s4pe comes with a .zip extension, and clicking it automatically opens it with the Windows built-in unzipper, which does work but as we've seen, in a buggy fashion. Maybe packing s4pe as a .7z file rather than a .zip file would at least provide a workaround by making it only unpackable with 7Zip? It doesn't answer the mystery as to why it gets messed up by unpacking it with Microsoft's unzipper, but at least it would stop users from getting a buggy tool that way.

Cmar, it's really surprising that it works fine on your PC when unzipping it with the built-in Windows extractor! I wonder if by any chance that could be to do with any extra components of .NET Framework, or maybe other similar libraries you have installed for your coding work, which you have on your PC but which most people wouldn't normally have, so that one of those is 'filling in the gaps' as it were, when you extract s4pe? It's an intriguing mystery!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#13 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 1:31 PM
It certainly is mysterious! I was thinking maybe different extractors set different protections on the files, but that seems not to be true. Next time I visit a friend with a computer, I can try it there.

Good observation about 7z - I should have checked that. (7z is a proprietary compression, different from zip compression.) That's a good suggestion as a workaround, I'll just upload the program in a 7z when I do a minor update soon. I'll also look at an installable version.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:57 PM
So... unpacked it with 7zip now...

but I still can't preview images
#15 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:07 PM
Is it still the same message "cannot find a resource handler" or do you see something different now?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:15 PM
Is it still the same message "cannot find a resource handler" or do you see something different now?

Code:
Error reading resource 0x00B2D882-0x00064DCA-0x9F21FE3B02959507
Front-end Distribution: 
Library Distribution: 

Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Ett undantagsfel har inträffat i målet för en aktivering.
----
Stack trace:
   vid System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   vid System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   vid System.Reflection.ConstructorInfo.Invoke(Object[] parameters)
   vid s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.WrapperForType(String type, Int32 APIversion, Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi\WrapperDealer\WrapperDealer.cs:rad 128
   vid s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.GetResource(Int32 APIversion, IPackage pkg, IResourceIndexEntry rie, Boolean AlwaysDefault) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi\WrapperDealer\WrapperDealer.cs:rad 66
   vid S4PIDemoFE.MainForm.browserWidget1_SelectedResourceChanged(Object sender, ResourceChangedEventArgs e) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pe\MainForm.cs:rad 2653
----

Source: s4pi.ImageResource
Assembly: s4pi.ImageResource, Version=1606.5.1801.23430, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Unexpected data, read 0x32495441
----
Stack trace:
   vid s4pi.ImageResource.PixelFormat.Parse(Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi Wrappers\ImageResource\DDS.cs:rad 82
   vid s4pi.ImageResource.RLEResource.RLEInfo.Parse(Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi Wrappers\ImageResource\RLEResource.cs:rad 895
   vid s4pi.ImageResource.DSTResource.Parse(Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi Wrappers\ImageResource\DSTResource.cs:rad 50
   vid s4pi.ImageResource.DSTResource..ctor(Int32 APIversion, Stream s) i F:\SourceTree\Sims4Tools\s4pi Wrappers\ImageResource\DSTResource.cs:rad 43
----
#17 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:17 PM
Ok that's another problem now, in that case lol. Can't help there as I know nuffink about image decoding.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:41 PM
Ok that's another problem now, in that case lol. Can't help there as I know nuffink about image decoding.

Okay, Thx anyway!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:49 PM
DevX, what version of s4pe are you using? The current version is 0.4.5: http://modthesims.info/t/578289 . Earlier ones may not work reliably with the current game, because TS4 has had so many drastically game-changing patches since it came out. Also, s4pe requires NET 4.0 to be installed on your PC, so be sure you have that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
What version of s4pe are you using? The current version is 0.4.5.

yes I am useing version is 0.4.5.

s4pe requires NET 4.0 to be installed on your PC, so be sure you have that.

dunno... where can I check if I have it or not?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 3:52 PM
To see if you have .NET 4.0 on your PC, find the path to your .NET folder on your PC as shown in the below pic. This pic shows that the PC has versions ranging from 1 to 4, in their individual folders.

If you don't have version 4, its download page on the Microsoft site is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...s.aspx?id=17851
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 3:57 PM
To see if you have .NET 4.0 on your PC, find the path to your .NET folder on your PC as shown in the below pic. This pic shows that the PC has versions ranging from 1 to 4, in their individual folders.

If you don't have version 4, its download page on the Microsoft site is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...s.aspx?id=17851

Oh... Ya I have it... I am just more used to it being called Framework.

so what now?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 5:13 PM
In that case, s4pe should work correctly as long as it was unzipped with 7Zip. The only thing I can think of is to reinstall NET 4.0 to 'repair' it, in case it needs repair. If it doesn't need repair, then maybe there's some problem with the textures in the package you're trying to read (maybe corrupted, maybe the wrong dimensions for a DDS, etc) which is stopping them from being able to preview. Other than that, I'm out of ideas and hope someone else will be able to suggest something to try.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 5:24 PM
In that case, s4pe should work correctly as long as it was unzipped with 7Zip. The only thing I can think of is to reinstall NET 4.0 to 'repair' it, in case it needs repair.

.________.

maybe there's some problem with the textures in the package you're trying to read (maybe corrupted, maybe the wrong dimensions for a DDS, etc) which is stopping them from being able to preview. Other than that, I'm out of ideas and hope someone else will be able to suggest something to try.

atleast I can export them and then open it with photoshop.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#25 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 5:16 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 30th Jul 2016 at 5:46 PM.
Sorry not to get to this earlier; I've been out of town.

This DDS image (and others in the UI) uses a compression that's not supported by s4pe at this time, maybe because its main use is for normal maps or storing data judging by the info I've found. I should be able to add viewing support in the next update. Meanwhile, if you modify this image you should save it using BC5 / ATI2 / 3Dc compression with no mipmaps.

Page 1 of 2