Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#21126 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuney
I was reading the player guide and it tells you ways to play : storytellers, experimenters, achievers, creators.

Looks like they nailed it for the "experimenters" (those who buy the game on a lark, play it for just long enough to be out of the return window, then toss it aside) and "achievers" (those brutes whose minds are simple enough that they are the dog to the game developers' Pavlov).

Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
http://simsvip.com/2014/08/30/the-s...ions-by-origin/

Pre-orders being Cancelled BY ORIGIN. If you pre-ordered you should go check to make sure you're still getting the game.

Yeah, I cancelled a while back. This is great news for me...but wait, it says "Completed", then "Cancelled".

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Advertisement
Instructor
#21127 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 9:54 AM Last edited by virgalibabe : 30th Aug 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by clay4kelly
I'm naïve - is it normal for a AAA company to sell a beta version of a game at such a ridiculous price...?

ETA: here is the picture of the code refered to:

Even the beta tag is a lie. The game is clearly an alpha!

ETA:
Quote: Originally posted by Tuney
I was reading the player guide and it tells you ways to play : storytellers, experimenters, achievers, creators.

As my Norwegian grandmother used to say "If you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one". At least I think that's what she said, since she said it in Norwegian and I don't speak Norwegian.

Achievers were never a thing in The Sims until Sims 3 and it's only because the gaming industry love being copycats and every single freaking game got achievements regardless whether it suited the game or its genre.

You don't have to cater to experimenters. That's they're entire nature, it's to take whatever they get and push the boundaries and do unexpected things to see what happens.

It's the creators and storytellers they need to please. By developing a proper build/buy and CAS with tools that give creators a plethora of options to unleash their skill and creativity.

The storytellers need a proper sandbox which doesn't restrict their game-play. More in-depth interactions between sims, better AI, make it easier to make the sims do what you want instead of more difficult. I can't believe they still haven't figured this out.

ETA2: By that I don't mean make the game stupidly easy though. A player will eventually find out that by doing certain actions they can push for happiness for their sims if that's the desired result and by doing other specific actions they can make their lives absolutely miserable and anything in between.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Test Subject
#21128 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka

Edited to express more feels.

I didn't watch last LP, only read summary on Honeywell's blog, and it turns out I didn't miss much of anything. But there's one moment I didn't get:
Quote:
A Sim took a bath in his clothes — it wasn’t clear if that was a bug or a feature?

I mean, gurus didn't even mention it? Sim took bath in clothes and they pretended it's totally ok, nothing to explain? Well, probably I shouldn't be surprised, they ignored many things in previous LP's anyway...
Quote:
Power Couple: Ever wonder what it’s like to have it all? Jump into the life of the rich and powerful with Ethan and Allyson Poole. Both at the pinnacle of their careers, they’ve perfected most of their skills, earned rich rewards, and are even working on their next aspiration. See what it’s like to have everything and be good at everything.

Because who needs challenge in a freakin' game, right? It's so boring to try to make your sim's life better
Actually, if I'd buy a game, I would probably find a use for this pre-save. Give 'em a day to enjoy their superiority, then make 'em lose their jobs, then make 'em bankrupt, then totally fuck up their relationship. No, I'm not a sadist. It's just that in their pink-magical-American-dream-gone-weird world it's more of a challenge to create tragedy than happy story. And I like challenge.
...And maybe I'm a bit of sadist too, after all.
Test Subject
#21129 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:13 AM

Pre-orders being Cancelled BY ORIGIN. If you pre-ordered you should go check to make sure you're still getting the game.

Maybe EA isn't that bad after all. They're doing a good deed cancelling pre-orders for a broken game. Let's just hope those people get refunds.

I do hope that EA did realize that they are selling an incomplete/broken game, hence the pre-order cancellations. But I have a nagging feeling this is due to the game being downloadable aside from Origin

Maybe they're "improving" the DRM or something...

Somewhere, some sim has found out that there is a shining green diamond hovering above...
Instructor
#21130 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DiAnkhiar

Wow. My dreams are usually a big cluster of weird and stupid (smart) converstations and usually take place somewhere with no sence what so ever.I would like to steal your dreams for a one day.Drinking tea and having a conversation is very classy and fancy.

And yes,I'm not being sarcastic.
Lab Assistant
#21131 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:32 AM

Maybe EA isn't that bad after all. They're doing a good deed cancelling pre-orders for a broken game. Let's just hope those people get refunds.

I hope this decreases first day sales dramatically.
Instructor
#21132 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Edero
Wow. My dreams are usually a big cluster of weird and stupid (smart) converstations and usually take place somewhere with no sence what so ever.I would like to steal your dreams for a one day.Drinking tea and having a conversation is very classy and fancy.

And yes,I'm not being sarcastic.

Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#21133 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:56 AM
Wow, two days till launch and... nothing. Although, it's been a whole lot of nothing-ness most of the wait anyway.
I feel like this applies to TS4:
Scholar
#21134 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lynn Smith

Quote: Originally posted by exlibrisas
Well, I am a guy and I really don`t mind this. Cool feature!
The only reason I don't like it is because I'd rather not look at the solid underside of the skirts (I'm not sure what to call it). I suppose it's better than endless pantyshots, but eh, still bugs me. :P

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Instructor
#21135 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoggoth
Order cancellations by Origin
Okay now everyone, you might want to check this out, if you have ordered the game for shits and giggles.

This is just so bad it's funny.

I gave you some +1's overall just for your avatar.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Lab Assistant
#21136 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egg1e
I do hope that EA did realize that they are selling an incomplete/broken game, hence the pre-order cancellations. But I have a nagging feeling this is due to the game being downloadable aside from Origin

Maybe they're "improving" the DRM or something...

EA [to be said in between spankings]: "This. Is what. You get. For pirating."
And as always, punish the paying customers

Really though Origin/EA, what the actual fuck? How do you keep screwing up this badly?? Do you WANT to win worst company of the year again?? ??? ?
Scholar
#21137 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:37 AM Last edited by TotallyJW : 30th Aug 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Xythenol
EA [to be said in between spankings]: "This. Is what. You get. For pirating."
And as always, punish the paying customers
Yesss exactly! All it does is making some paying customers so fed up that they turn to pirating. I don't approve of pirating in any ways (Well, except this way) , but I have to admit that whenever a company deploys overly zealous DRM.. they sort of have it coming.

The thing that these companies (esp. EA) don't understand is that if people feel like they're being treated well and with respect, they're far more willing to throw money at whatever product is being sold. And that a lot of people in general like to support things they care about. The mere existance of Kickstarter and Indigogo is proof of that.
These companies seem have a "guilty until proven otherwise" mindset, which understandably pisses a lot of people off

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Forum Resident
#21138 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xythenol
Really though Origin/EA, what the actual fuck? How do you keep screwing up this badly?? Do you WANT to win worst company of the year again?? ??? ?

Yes. Because even bad publicity gets your name out there...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#21139 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
I think the Yibs will stand firm to what they believe is the best entry to the series.

They can't possibly believe that. Not in real life. They're just doing their publicity partner bit. I guess you have to respect them for their role just like we accept that simgurus have to say what they say.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#21140 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:49 AM
I finally watched the tv commercial, and who ever came up with weird being the slogan is actually pleading for help:

Don't Buy this game, it's too weird!

Every mistake the Gurus made? They're trying to tell us not to buy the game. Thank God some of us are listening...
Forum Resident
#21141 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:01 PM
The game isn't even 'weird' though, they failed to even get that shit right.
Lab Assistant
#21142 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:06 PM
Anyone yet pre-downloading the game? How is it going? Any server crashes yet?
I can't yet pre-download it because I'm from Europe. (<- This passive aggressive smiley really sums up my feelings.)

Yeah, the avatar is the result of too much free time while waiting for the delayed pre-download date.

What a "#weird" game!
Scholar
#21143 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:09 PM
Shoggoth, I'm with virgalibabe - that avatar is pure gold

Forum Resident
#21144 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:11 PM Last edited by rodrigues : 30th Aug 2014 at 1:54 PM.
I think the weird thing is genious.

"What is he doing, he is taking a bath in clothes lolololo he's weird"

"Mortimer, use the toilet, stop dropping it down from the qeue! He's so weird!"

"Why is he happy, he is caughting fire! He's so weird!"

"LOL look at Alexander, eating while that corpse is right beside him, that little weirdo"

"Oh the maid is cleaning the house while everybody is dying around her, she's weird lol"

"OMG why is she pissing on her pants, the bathroom is right there lol, weird!"

"He's so weird, look how far he went to enter the house, the door was literally behind him lol"

"They are so funny, they keep going up and down during dinner, those weirdos!"
Lab Assistant
#21145 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
-snip-

YES, YES. RIGHT THERE.
They skipped the debugging and just stamped the weird stamp on the game.
"lol so weird, the sim just like sat inside another sim!!!11"

What a "#weird" game!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#21146 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:17 PM

(...)
So, the word "weird" is just used as a nicer way to say [insert pejorative expression for mentally underdeveloped]?
Scholar
#21147 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:21 PM
-snop-
Yeah, and it's a bit funny how earlier in the marketing campaign they were all about SmartSim and Emoshuns.. and then they realized they couldn't get either of those two things to work in time, and shifted focus to lololol so WEIRD to cover their asses.

Also, I was image searcing Ryan Vaughan (don't ask) and this was one of the first results. I thought I'd share, it gave me a laugh for sure

Lab Assistant
#21148 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:35 PM
Aaargh! bleach for my brain!!
Scholar
#21149 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:39 PM
BloodyScholastic shared this video:

Hitler gets angry about TS4
Mad Poster
#21150 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:41 PM

"What is he doing, he is taking a bath in clothes lolololo he's weird"

"Mortimer, use the toilet, stop dropping it down from the qeue! He's so weird!"

"Why is he happy, he is caughting fire! He's so weird!"

"LOL look at Alexander, eating while that corpse is right beside him, that little weirdo"

"Oh the maid is cleaning the house while everybody is dying around her, she's weird lol"

"OMG why is she going her pants, the bathroom is right there lol, weird!"

"He's so weird, look how far he went to enter the house, the door was literally behind him lol"

"They are so funny, they keep going up and down during dinner, those weirdos!"

After watching the livestreams I became very confused about what was a glitch and what was a feature. I'm just sad that the sims seem to acknowledge each other and the events around them even less than Sims 3. The Sims 4 sims might even make the Sims 3 sims look like paragons of empathy.
Locked thread
Page 846 of 920