Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:26 AM
Default Accident waiting to happen
http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/imag...lsize/88667.jpg

This cot bunkbed set is unbelievable! Look at that dropside - if the kid below has his head poking out and the adult accidentally dropped the side too fast it looks like a nasty bump. And if it fell on his neck - the cap between the bottom of the dropside and the top of the bottom bet side bar is just right for squeezing his neck and possibly crushing the carotid. I can't believe how that passed safety standards and apparently it's popular in nurseries!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:02 PM
That design does look incredibly mindless. And the bottom crib looks like it would be easy, even for a less than active tot, to climb out of.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:38 PM
Yargh. Drop side cribs are BAD anyway but that looks just awful, for so many reasons.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:42 PM
Well the bottom bed is specifically intended for slighly older toddlers who are allowed to get themselves up, but if that toddler chose just the moment to do so that the top cot was being operated, things could get nasty. Maybe the top one would have done better to have a lift-over side, which I have seen before.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#5 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 1:28 PM
Reminds me of the movie Stepbrothers where they made their own bunk beds and it fell on one of them...
Theorist
#6 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:13 PM
Yeah, having a bunk bed collapse on you isn't fun. But some of us live on, thanks to unholy pacts professed in blood.
Instructor
#7 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:02 PM
Wow,that's just...dumb. I didn't even know this actually exists until now as all the nursery stores I visit never have those.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 5:18 PM
I'm amazed at how weird some people are about their kids' safety. I know people who don't bother with seat belts, bicycle helmets, life vests, or swimming lessons, but won't let their kids eat pretzels or play outside because it's unhealthy and dangerous. This product seems right up their alley.

Same couple also used to have a blog full o' naked pictures of their 3- and 4-year-olds, WITH THEIR FULL NAMES AND ADDRESSES ON IT. They finally took it down after cajoling from the rest of the family, but ye gods.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Scholar
#9 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 9:11 PM
Why does this even need to exist? Save the bunk bed for when they turn about five. How can people be so incredibly stupid? *facedesk*

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Inventor
#10 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:03 PM
I've never seen or heard about these, maybe they don't pass safety standards in here England? (I used to spend A LOT of spare time making the perfect imaginary nursery back when my partner first said he wanted to have kids with me and I never saw one of those)
Scholar
#11 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:59 PM
That looks safe
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
Same couple also used to have a blog full o' naked pictures of their 3- and 4-year-olds, WITH THEIR FULL NAMES AND ADDRESSES ON IT. They finally took it down after cajoling from the rest of the family, but ye gods.

I hate that shit, imagine how embarrassed s/he will be when they are able to use the internet.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
#13 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 6:13 AM
A huge crib on top of a small crib. Hmm...
Theorist
#14 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
I'm amazed at how weird some people are about their kids' safety. I know people who don't bother with seat belts, bicycle helmets, life vests, or swimming lessons, but won't let their kids eat pretzels or play outside because it's unhealthy and dangerous. This product seems right up their alley.

Yeah, the funny thing is that describes "myself and everyone I grew up with." I know it's hard for people to understand this, but not having a lot of safety equipment available doesn't automatically mean you end up with nails in your head and bleeding out of the eyeballs. I remember doing crazy shit like jumping off the second story balcony with toy guns into rolls, third grade badass, and never breaking a bone. Lawn darts? We had those. I drew the line when one of my friends was actually throwing them at my younger brother and hitting him. Crawling through the water management pipes? Yep, 'splorin' - learned pretty quickly that sometimes there were snakes in there, back away. Our parents probably still would have thought it was a terrible idea to have us playing with Uzis at that age, but it really wasn't a big deal to roll a go kart a couple of times if you could walk away from it and only bled a little. And I was the geeky kid who wasn't into sports and the outdoors much. I was the kid who wasn't masculine enough for fifth grade because I didn't want to smoke cigarettes or do chew with the cool kids, and never came to class with a cast on.

I'm not suggesting that such things are what you want with your kids, just that sometimes I think people presume children are a lot more fragile than they actually are.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 12:10 AM
Yea, seeing kids ride a little bike with all this protective gear..it just seems so unnatural. No climbing trees, no exploring. Still, the world is more dangerous now days (well, not The World, just the creeps IN it), and I can understand parents wanting to protect their children. Guess I'm leaning toward "NO" on badly designed beds (or toys,or whatever), but "Yes" for letting kids push their limits and experience the world.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#16 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
I'm not suggesting that such things are what you want with your kids, just that sometimes I think people presume children are a lot more fragile than they actually are.

Oh, I know! This is just a particular set of people who refuse obvious safety measures, but outlaw totally innocuous stuff in the name of safety. Pretzels? Unsafe. Standard, washable markers? Unsafe. Microwaves? Unsafe.Playing unsupervised in Grandpa's machine shed? Perfectly safe, how dare you question our judgment. I played in the machine shed as a kid, too (it was categorically unsafe--a lot of old, lead-lined refrigerators and spare dynamite in there), but I was also allowed to eat pretzels, color, and stand near the microwave. I'm not advocating for wrapping kids in bubble wrap, just for internal consistency when it comes to safety.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."