Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#19551 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 9:57 AM
The unlockables are making me roll my eyes. It's gone from The Sims to Virtual Families..
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#19552 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:07 AM
Well well well... It looks like we can make Split-Level home in Sims 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIu...ture=youtu.be&a

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Forum Resident
#19553 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Psh, speak for yourself. I'm 7.

Is that in cat years?

Maybe they saw my toddler avatar and thought "Oh look, that Flaygor's a nice little kid let's make the game nice and easy for her with lots of purple trees and safe, non-lumpy grass".

Well I'm not a kid, I'm not even female... and I sure as hell ain't nice!!!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#19554 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
(...)

Bah, this sandbox is getting more and more rails isn't it :/
This is the thing that I still don't understand: while every major game franchise (especially goal-oriented RPGs) has begun to get rid of the rails as much as the game allows, the reverse happens with the one game that used to be like what others want theirs to become now.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19555 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black Zekrom

Yeah they did mention that, but other than an architectural interest detail, it has no utility, as the space below the split level cannot accommodate anything.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#19556 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:36 AM
These emotions... There is a tool called "social stories" that parents and teachers use to help autistic children understand and cope with social interactions. I read an article some years ago, written by a parent who used The Sims 2 both to make social stories and to let the child "practise" in a safe way. I wonder if The Sims 4 will be better or worse for this purpose.

The sims in TS4 have clearer expressions and responses, which is a good thing, but if the emphasis is on weird and funny rather than realistic, the game could teach the wrong lessons. The child could end up more confused, or learn counterproductive coping strategies.

The fact that moods gate what interactions are available could also be a good thing or not, depending on how it's implemented.

I also wonder if TS4 will allow the freedom to make the stories you need to make without running into forced behaviors, sims refusing orders, etc.
Mad Poster
#19557 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:42 AM
I'm suddenly wondering what happens if you download a room from the Exchan-I mean, Gallery - with furniture you haven't unlocked yet.
Instructor
#19558 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I'm suddenly wondering what happens if you download a room from the Exchan-I mean, Gallery - with furniture you haven't unlocked yet.

Your save file becomes corrupt and removes all traces of toddlers and pools.
Scholar
#19559 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:47 AM Last edited by TotallyJW : 27th Aug 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AnnaIME
These emotions... There is a tool called "social stories" that parents and teachers use to help autistic children understand and cope with social interactions. I read an article some years ago, written by a parent who used The Sims 2 both to make social stories and to let the child "practise" in a safe way. I wonder if The Sims 4 will be better or worse for this purpose.

The sims in TS4 have clearer expressions and responses, which is a good thing, but if the emphasis is on weird and funny rather than realistic, the game could teach the wrong lessons. The child could end up more confused, or learn counterproductive coping strategies.
As someone with a low-functioning autistic brother, I really appreciate this comment. It made me think. Thank you.
That someone could use The Sims 2 for this really cements the fact that emotions aren't a brand new sparkly shiny thing. They've always been there, they're just being labeled now (which could be a good thing for this purpose.. My brother has a limited vocabolary now, becuase my parents always have used extensive labeling. But given how the emotions themselves seem to have been implemented.. yeah, no).

ED: I am going to assume that the disagree is in regards to the sims/emotions part, and not the part about my brother...

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19560 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:51 AM

If that article is something that you could at all track down, I would be very interested in reading it. My son is autistic and loves the sims, and I never thought about using it to model social interaction, but that sounds like a really intriguing concept.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#19561 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black Zekrom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIu...ture=youtu.be&a

Who jogs and stops at the intersection and do push ups before they continue jogging again?
Like, WTF? Is that a normal routine people do when jogging?

Kudaku lari gagah berani~
Field Researcher
#19562 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:56 AM
It's my birthday! XD
I got some money. I won't invest them in TS4 for sure :p
Instructor
#19563 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:10 AM
Okay, I know this has nothing to do with what you're discussing right now, but I just had to share my incredible idea of a Sims 4 expansions pack. Say hello to the The Sims 4: Tiny Tits and Dicks Expansion Pack.

Features:
Indulge in your Sims' biggest insecurities with this expansion pack. Effortlesly create Sims in a more intuitive and tactile Create-a-Sim, now including vibrant features such as giving pathetically small boobs to your women and punishing your Bro Sims with an abnormally small pride!

Expand your Sims' personalities by giving them one of the many new traits such as Saggy Tits and Small Penises Aren't Something To Laugh At to make your Sims feel better about their issues. Or ruin them completely! Direct other Sims to laugh at them and they just might get the brand new Self-Confidence Tanked emotion, which may grow to the OMG, They're Right emotion with the highest emotion being I'm Getting Breast Implants.

Try out some brand new Sim-to-Sim interactions, such as 'Does Size Matter?' and 'Do You Still Love Me?'. In the height of recent trends, jealous girls get the option to cut off their boyfriend's dick and eat it. Want male Sims to feel better too? No worries! Via the computer you can now order a variety of things, including penis enlargment pumps, penis enlargment clamps, penis enlargment injections and penis enlargment pills.

Also included in this brand new expansion pack are new deaths, like 'Death from Penis Enlargment Pills' and 'Death from Nicki Minaj Butt Explosion'. As usual, a ton of new CAS items will ship with the game, like Katy Perry's cupcake bra to hide your embarassingly small boobs. Many more things await you in the new Hollywood world, but we won't spoil it for you.

The Sims 4's 69th expansion pack will ship on on June 9th, 2069. Pre-order now for the Kim Kardashian exclusive content.
Forum Resident
#19564 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
*snip*

This almost sounds like spam people usually get in their e-mails...

Kudaku lari gagah berani~
Theorist
#19565 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
If that article is something that you could at all track down, I would be very interested in reading it. My son is autistic and loves the sims, and I never thought about using it to model social interaction, but that sounds like a really intriguing concept.

**Off topic, but yes, the Special Ed. community has used the Sims and simulations to help people with autism relate to every day life and learn social skills.

I used to let my son play Sims 2 for this reason as he has Aspergers, a type of autism. I might let him take it up again (with Sims 3) after reading this study and use it to augment our "life skills" in home school.

http://www.herl.pitt.edu/symposia/v...ns/LoPresti.pdf

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#19566 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moogle Luv
I wasn't aware, but apparently graveyards were cut from TS4 too?!

Is this why there are no ghost?

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882344

Oh, hi! I did that thread. Tried really hard not to be more snarky than I was, too. I hope I did the game justice. As in laying out the bare facts and letting people judge it on its own. Well, I suppose that "Behold its true form and despair!" title does prejudge a little.

As for the graveyard thing, I can't remember exactly where I saw it, been collecting for that list for a while now, but as far as I know, it's out.
Scholar
#19567 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:47 AM
Cheers for the link, mate. I'll have a look at it later

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Field Researcher
#19568 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

I'll try, but when my son first got his diagnosis, I read pretty much everything I could get my hands on that was even tangentially connected to autism. I don't even remember if I read this article online or in print.

We never used TS2 for "proper" social stories, but we spent many afternoons playing together and discussing what was happening on screen and why. My son also experimented on his own with action/consequence, like if the sim didn't tend to their needs they would get red plumbobs and fail at things, or if they said mean things the friendship bar was lowered.

One reason TS2 is better than TS3 for practising is the asynchronous relationships. Does anyone know how this will be in TS4?
Scholar
#19569 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:06 PM
One reason TS2 is better than TS3 for practising is the asynchronous relationships. Does anyone know how this will be in TS4?
As far as I know we haven't heard anything about that. So there's a small chance they'll be there, but most likely they won't :/

Forum Resident
#19570 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Yeah they did mention that, but other than an architectural interest detail, it has no utility, as the space below the split level cannot accommodate anything.

In the video they did build a bedroom in the lower level and the sim managed to use that just fine - is that what you meant? It seems fully functional to me
Theorist
#19571 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:30 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 27th Aug 2014 at 1:06 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon
EA Hopes to Earn 1 Billion From Add-on Content This year I don't know if this was already posted. TS4 store and premium service will probably factor into that somewhere. Week 1 DLC probably ready to go.

This is just messaging to their stock holders or ass kissing if you prefer. Its their way of saying "See what we're doing! We're listening to you! Don't you feel warm and fuzzy? Continue to invest, please."

Sims barely gets a mention in their quarterly financial statements, so even if TS4 managed to drag in reasonable numbers, it wouldn't get much attention. That said, yes, people will dump money into this game via a store or however EA is going to peddle DLC. And just like TS3, said content will be full of bugs and or broken, so there will be endless complaining about it, but yet people will continue to buy.

Speaking of money and DLC, EA has been silent about the premium content membership issue. I wonder when they plan on revealing those details?
Scholar
#19572 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:31 PM
Talking about interactions in The Sims Series, I heard (I might be wrong, or I might've heard wrong) that if you build a romantic relationship up with someone, you can't interact friendly with them. That might mean that, unlike TS3 where one friendly interaction erased all your romantic interactions, it'll be like TS2 where you could do both, but your LTR got you the interactions instead. Any info on this?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19573 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
In the video they did build a bedroom in the lower level and the sim managed to use that just fine - is that what you meant? It seems fully functional to me

That's not what I mean. I didn't say non-functional, no utility means not useful. I mean you don't get any extra benefit from it than you would have by simply keeping the whole floor the same level. Unlike when you build on a slope or want to make half landing dogs leg staircases to fit in a small space.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#19574 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:45 PM Last edited by rodrigues : 27th Aug 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Random thought - Even with barely any gameplay videos out, I can think on the top of my head of 5 must-have mods at launch, which is pretty amazing... no white lines, no tutorial, no disappearing objects and trees (a classic), no autonomous push-ups (why do they even do that? that shouldn't be an iddle animation lol) and The Unlocker.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
That's not what I mean. I didn't say non-functional, no utility means not useful. I mean you don't get any extra benefit from it than you would have by simply keeping the whole floor the same level. Unlike when you build on a slope or want to make half landing dogs leg staircases to fit in a small space.

OH I see. Yeah, it seems you can't do that lol.
One Minute Ninja'd
#19575 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Speaking of money and DLC, EA has been silent about the premium content membership issue. I wonder when they plan on revealing those details?

Right after they're sure all those credit cards got processed and approved for all the pre-loaded pre-orders they're getting out the door before you can even play the actual game.

"See how much money we made, and the game isn't even activated for play yet!"

Then they'll defer all the returns and chargebacks quietly into the next quarter's quarterly statement.
Locked thread
Page 783 of 920