Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 6:38 PM
Default I'm New! Can a game mod modder please help here?
Hey guys! I'm new to the sims 4 and i would want some help on modding! I used to do ts3 mods with notepad (Just altering game mods) and using a data tool. Now I would want to have a mod that will stop the social workers from giving free bassinets and prolong labor until manual labor is carried out. (Either in hospital or buy a bassinet)
Can anyone lighten me up or make a mod like this? :D
Thanks for reading and have a nice day!
Happy Simming!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 11:54 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 25th Jul 2015 at 12:19 AM.
Moving to Create. Please post here when you have questions about modding, not in Discussion (that is about gameplay discussion, not about making stuff).

Please see the sticky in this forum about the Maxis CC documentation and resources. Not sure whether the rest would be XML only or require scripting, but those docs should give you a roadmap on how (modding for) the game works overall. Please also note that requests are not allowed on this site.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
#3 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 4:34 AM
I think this could be done with strictly XML modding. There's an XML instance for sim_DeliverBaby_CreateBassinet (S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000017C0E)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 4:47 AM
Ah OK =). Then some next steps for the OP would be to get a tuning extraction tool like this one to get their hands at the tuning and a package editor to stick their final result in a package later on, read this and this, and, well, ask if they’ve got questions.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 1:58 PM
Default Tah
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
I think this could be done with strictly XML modding. There's an XML instance for sim_DeliverBaby_CreateBassinet (S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000017C0E)

Thanks for enlightening me! I tried looking for the xml but I'm unable to find it. Its in the The Sims 4/simulation/ folder deltabuild package right?
Can you send me the package file if you don't mind...?
I can't seem to see the names of the packages like S3pe... Can you tell me what I did wrong here?
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 2:06 PM
Default Hey thanks!
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Ah OK =). Then some next steps for the OP would be to get a tuning extraction tool like this one to get their hands at the tuning and a package editor to stick their final result in a package later on, read this and this, and, well, ask if they’ve got questions.

Thanks for helping me moving this to the correct thread and sending me links to the tutorials! Sorry I hadn't mod for two years already. I used to use S3PE for a while but when I tried using the s4pe tools, I can't see the package names.. even after I tried following the tutorials. Can you enlighten me on how to see the package names? Is it the one in D:\Games\The Sims 4\Data\Simulation\SimulationDeltaBuild0.package?
And I can't find the xml file for the Create Bassinet one.. even after searching manually.. :/

Thanks again anyways! Glad to come back.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 3:26 PM
Not sure what you mean by "the package names" .. scumbumbo's tutorial (the one I linked to) says:

Use S4PE to open the appropriate SimulationDeltaBuild0.package file
The base game's simulation delta build is in the program's The Sims 4\Data\Simulation\ folder
The delta builds for add-on packs are in the subfolders of The Sims 4\Delta\ folder

Is this what you mean?

If you have problems following that particular tutorial, best would be if you post in that tutorial thread -- if any instructions can be explained better or made clearer, it will help other readers too.

Also, when downloading s4pe, you should unzip it with 7zip, not the built-in Windows thing. That is known to cause problems.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 5:42 PM
Not sure what you mean by "the package names" .. scumbumbo's tutorial (the one I linked to) says:

Use S4PE to open the appropriate SimulationDeltaBuild0.package file
The base game's simulation delta build is in the program's The Sims 4\Data\Simulation\ folder
The delta builds for add-on packs are in the subfolders of The Sims 4\Delta\ folder

Is this what you mean?

If you have problems following that particular tutorial, best would be if you post in that tutorial thread -- if any instructions can be explained better or made clearer, it will help other readers too.

Also, when downloading s4pe, you should unzip it with 7zip, not the built-in Windows thing. That is known to cause problems.

Again thank you for replying! I understand the tutorial and I'm able to extract other xmls because I've done mods for sims 3 before and it's quite similar.. What I meant is I can't find the xml nstance posted by Scumbobo
"I think this could be done with strictly XML modding. There's an XML instance for sim_DeliverBaby_CreateBassinet (S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000017C0E)"
And my s4pe does not show the name of each instances, (I'm not sure why, I tried using 7zip to unpack also: "Name" refer to "sim_DeliverBaby_CreateBassinet " in this case). - See screenshot, there is no names for any of the instances..
It's not a problem in that tutorial.. I just can't find the specific instance .___.
And here you can see, I opened the deltabuild but im still unable to find that instance..(tried searching manually by alphabetical order) and I also just tried using sims 4 tuning tool too, but with no luck. So I'm wondering if I opened the wrong delta build or any mistake ive accidentally made.

Anyway just to be sure..
Is this how to make a tuning mod? (I would be so glad if you would tell me where I went wrong)
1. Use S4pe to find the specific package.
2. Export and edit the package using xml editor or notepad++.
3. Import the edited package again using s4pe and make a mod.
4. Save the tuning mod into the mod folder.
Screenshots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 5:55 PM
In The Sims 4, the resources don't have a name file to get their names from, so you won't see the names like you could in a TS3 package.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Deceased
#10 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 6:02 PM
You're looking in S4PE for the tuning instance, but the tunings are actually stored in that binary combined tuning which is why that whole tutorial to extract it all is necessary. That process will build a bunch of folders on your hard drive (be sure to use a new empty folder to extract all that stuff to or you'll have a mess finding other things that were in there - if you follow the tutorial step by step you should already be doing that) containing files that have the actual XML tunings. If you do all that and then look into the "interaction" folder in Windows Explorer, you should see that S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000017C0E file (there's over 3000 files in there, so it takes some searching as Windows doesn't sort files by hex). See the attached screenshots.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 7:03 AM
Just got back from my exams and gonna try that out! Thank you scumbumbo! :D
I'll try that out and see how it goes!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 7:15 AM
Regarding the “it takes some searching” (what scumbumbo says above): for me the built-in Windows/Explorer search is super fast and efficient for that kind of thing (can search either for the ID or for anything that’s contained in the file, like “DeliverBaby”), but I have Windows 7 and no idea how the various Windowses compare in that regard. I believe I’ve heard people complain about suckingness in later versions. But the search/preview in 7 easily beats that of every other OS I’ve used in the last couple of years, so depending on what you have there it might not actually be an issue. =)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:19 AM
Default HELP :( It is not responding..
You're looking in S4PE for the tuning instance, but the tunings are actually stored in that binary combined tuning which is why that whole tutorial to extract it all is necessary. That process will build a bunch of folders on your hard drive (be sure to use a new empty folder to extract all that stuff to or you'll have a mess finding other things that were in there - if you follow the tutorial step by step you should already be doing that) containing files that have the actual XML tunings. If you do all that and then look into the "interaction" folder in Windows Explorer, you should see that S4_E882D22F_00000000_0000000000017C0E file (there's over 3000 files in there, so it takes some searching as Windows doesn't sort files by hex). See the attached screenshots.

I installed the Net Framework and tried to extract the Binary Tuning files but I tried twice and it is not responding.. Any idea how to fix this?
THANKS!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:27 AM
Regarding the “it takes some searching” (what scumbumbo says above): for me the built-in Windows/Explorer search is super fast and efficient for that kind of thing (can search either for the ID or for anything that’s contained in the file, like “DeliverBaby”), but I have Windows 7 and no idea how the various Windowses compare in that regard. I believe I’ve heard people complain about suckingness in later versions. But the search/preview in 7 easily beats that of every other OS I’ve used in the last couple of years, so depending on what you have there it might not actually be an issue. =)

Yes thank you! especially for the links they're extremely handy I think I'm getting a grip now but I stuck at the extracting XML part.. Will try on another computer later. Can I copy the DeltaBuild Package and extract it with another computer? Will it affect my extraction?
Deceased
#15 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kokhoong0624
I installed the Net Framework and tried to extract the Binary Tuning files but I tried twice and it is not responding.. Any idea how to fix this?
THANKS!

The "Not Responding" may just mean that the code is busy. It can take quite some time to do the conversion, particularly for the base game. On my PC the base game conversion takes nearly a minute and a half, and the program currently doesn't update the user interface while the binary extract is going on, so Windows just isn't sure if the program is still operating or not. Try giving it some time to finish and it should eventually tell you it's done.

When doing the second part of the extract (to produce the final XML files), the UI gets updated so you can move the window around, cancel, etc. without getting that "Not Responding" error.

I do plan to eventually make the program work more smoothly, getting the XML directly from the package files (rather than having to extract it using s4pe first) and keeping the interface responsive.

ETA - Oh, and you can do the extract on another machine if you have a faster one available, it shouldn't affect the results.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 10:02 AM
Default Thank You So So Much Scumbumbo!!!!!!
The "Not Responding" may just mean that the code is busy. It can take quite some time to do the conversion, particularly for the base game. On my PC the base game conversion takes nearly a minute and a half, and the program currently doesn't update the user interface while the binary extract is going on, so Windows just isn't sure if the program is still operating or not. Try giving it some time to finish and it should eventually tell you it's done.

When doing the second part of the extract (to produce the final XML files), the UI gets updated so you can move the window around, cancel, etc. without getting that "Not Responding" error.

I do plan to eventually make the program work more smoothly, getting the XML directly from the package files (rather than having to extract it using s4pe first) and keeping the interface responsive.

ETA - Oh, and you can do the extract on another machine if you have a faster one available, it shouldn't affect the results.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN!! THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME :')
I managed to extract the files already after following your tutorial!!! I'm so happy now!!!!
I am not home yet and I'll tru at home later!!!

This is a part of the xml file
Quote:
<I c="SuperInteraction" i="interaction" m="interactions.base.super_interaction" n="sim_DeliverBaby_CreateBassinet" s="97294">
<V t="prohibit_cancelation" n="_cancelable_by_user" />
<V t="participant" n="_icon" />
<T n="_must_run">True</T>
<V t="enabled" n="_saveable" />
<T n="attention_cost">0.5</T>
<V t="one_shot" n="basic_content" />
<L n="basic_extras">
<V t="create_object">

Should I just change both values<the bold ones> to disable the create bassinet?
i'm afraid I might break the game!

AND THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!! Thanks isn't sufficient to express what I'm feeling now literally!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 12:17 PM
Update: I tried putting FALSE and ENABLED and it doesn't work.
What values do you think I should change to prevent the social workers from giving the free bassinets?
What does time_overhead means?
[QUOTE] <T n="consider_rented_lot_as_owned">False</T>
<T n="consider_retail_lot_as_owned">False</T>
</U>
</V>
<V t="test_set_reference">
<T n="test_set_reference">39374</T>
</V>
<V t="state">
<U n="state">
<T n="value">75273</T>
<E n="who">Actor</E>
</U>
</V>
</L>
<T n="time_overhead">30</T>QUOTE]

And what does the value means? :O
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:42 PM
Off the top of my head, time overhead is how much time the sim will think an action takes .. have you looked in the tdescs? That should be explained there.

For the test_set_reference and state stuff (and anything else you see referenced like that in an XML), just search your XML folder for those. These are the IDs of other tuning files -- 75273 turns out to be Pregnant_InLabor (\object_state\S4_5B02819E_00000000_0000000000012609.xml -- yes, sims are objects in the eyes of the game =P).

Not sure it'll work to just disable the bassinet creation (AFAIK the babies *are* the bassinets -- have you looked at how it works to test whether there already is a bassinet on the lot?), I'd rather try to automatically deduct their value from the household budget to counteract the free-of-charge-ness. But you don't need to worry about "breaking the game", really -- just use a test game and if something doesn't work out, delete that test game and make a new one. Far as I can tell, in TS4 there are no weird side effects across (seemingly) different saves / neighbourhoods like you'd sometimes see in TS3; the saves seem to be more self-contained now.