Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:51 PM
What Is Up With The Game's Jealousy System?
Whenever one of my married Sims gives another lover a friendly hug, their spouse stupidly thinks it's an embrace and becomes jealous...What's up with that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 6:10 PM
lol that's nothing. One of my sims went into a complete jealous meltdown, immediately after she was married. I wanna say it's because her husband's ex showed up to the wedding but neither of them saw her. Literally as soon as the ring was on her finger and they kissed under the arch, she was hit with a wave of anger and "unfaithful spouse" moodlets for no reason. I'm surprised she didn't suffer one of those emotional deaths.

The Receptacle still lives!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 6:28 PM
I bet you wish she had!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 6:46 PM
Nah. I actually like this sim. Before she got married, she was part of one of my favorite households. Which is why I was a little sad that her big day was ruined by something that didn't happen

And she's got a lot of nerve complaining about unfaithful spouses. Before she was the wife, she was the mistress. And this isn't one of those situations where the guy was fooling both women. She knew he was married XD

Forum Resident
#5 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 7:04 PM
That's funny because before I modded out the jealousy my sims never got jealous lol. I only saw one couple who did that was it. Everyone else was like "whatever you can snog my mom right in front of me its cool".
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 7:13 PM
Do children still cry when they see their parent cheating, like they did in TS2? I haven't tested that one out yet.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Do children still cry when they see their parent cheating, like they did in TS2? I haven't tested that one out yet.

I only had them get the sad moodlet when their parents divorced. That has only happened once to me too. At least one couple that divorced were actually happy about it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 8:00 PM
The jealousy thing is a bit over the top. I'll take a group of Sims out to a bar or have a wedding and suddenly everyone is down in the dumps because they saw the "love of their life" flirting with another. I didn't even know they had a "love of their life". When did that happen? I thought I was watching them, too!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:07 PM
Lucky. In my world the sims 4 has no jealousy system. I could a sim who is happily married woohoo with another person 3 inches away from the spouse and the spouse won't even bat an eyelid and will continue standing there with that ear to ear shit eatin grin on their face. Did they tweak the jealousy recently maybe? Because I feel like these sims basically react to nothing in an unmodded game....
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tamsin88
Did they tweak the jealousy recently maybe? Because I feel like these sims basically react to nothing in an unmodded game....
I wondered about that myself. There were lots of complaints before about the situation you described. Since I never tested that out (my Sims are so ...normal and kind! lol), I can't really respond to that. For all I know, even with all this incredible drama over who is flirting with whom, a Sim might not even react to other overt acts of romance. Has anyone checked this out?
Scholar
#11 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 3:45 PM
I always assumed it was line of sight based. Don´t have any hard data to back that claim up, though.
But the whole embarassment-in-the-bathroom issue is line of sight based, so it may factor in with jealousy, too.
Smeg Head
#12 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 5:14 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 28th Aug 2015 at 6:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
I always assumed it was line of sight based. Don´t have any hard data to back that claim up, though.
But the whole embarassment-in-the-bathroom issue is line of sight based, so it may factor in with jealousy, too.

Good point. I cannot remember the formats used in the original Sims game, but since TS2 onwards we have been given sims who have a bizarre form of selective ESP. With jealousy, if your wayward sim carried on unfaithfully fours floors up and six rooms across, the sim's partner instantly knew about it and came storming all the way up the stairs and through miles of corridors to finally slap everyone involved upside the head. There are a great many situations where this instant knowing ESP comes into play. It would be fun (maybe?) to list the ones that do. But extending that selective ESP to know if anyone is in the bathroom, just doesn't happen. If that selective ESP was also put to good use when it comes to minding toddlers, then we may even have had real toddlers in TS4. But the sheer toddler management mess of TS2 and TS3 shows Maxis would rather dump it entirely than work on a much better system.

Maybe someone should send Maxis that Russell Crowe movie Beautiful Mind. If everyone tries to do the same thing at once they just cancel each other out and toddler management is a mind-numbing, crazy crapshoot. Just extend that selective ESP (That is already a long-standing game mechanic.) and it becomes a delight.

Then again, in TS2, if someone four floors up and six rooms across decided to go cuddle the crying toddler, the parent standing right next to the crib instantly knew, with their selective ESP, that the far away sim was making the long, arduous, time-consuming hike, and could not then comfort the toddler within arm's reach. Logic out the window and the frikking Social Worker always made that blasted call to tell you how bad a parent you are. Selective ESP not always helpful, then.

And jealousy in TS4? Does it even matter? ESP or not, sims seem pretty much unaffected by incidents, even if they knew the world was coming to an end. I have the Capps and the Montys in my TS4 town, sworn enemies to the bone, through and through. But to see them all chatting away at the bar like life-long pals. Ha! That whole system needs a rethink and a rework. Pointless in its current state.
Theorist
#13 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2

No, I don't think so. I seduced Mortimer Goth in front of Alexander with another female Sim and woohood with him. Alexander entered and left the room without any special reaction on both occasions.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
That's funny because before I modded out the jealousy my sims never got jealous lol. I only saw one couple who did that was it. Everyone else was like "whatever you can snog my mom right in front of me its cool".

This is what happened in my pre-modded game too to a degree. One of the first things I wanted to check out was the romance and jealousy. As mentioned previously, the cheated sim seemed to have ESP if he/she was anywhere on the lot. In TS2 for example I could have a sim in the back yard just starting a queue of tasks when the cheating would begin (maybe sims moan loudly or give a high pitched squeal us real humans can't hear?). As soon as the making kissy or the hoowooings or whatever, the cheated sim would drop the queue and race to confronter the cheaters.

So, I found that didn't happen and I thought, "Step in the right direction at least" because I planned on having a cheating spouse/partner. I can't remember all the details, but I think my test was a femsim cheating on her sister and there was no reaction. In fact, I seem to recall something like when the woohoo had finished and the lovers both climbed out of bed, the cheated sister came up the stairs into the room and hugged her cheating sister! As this was a test, I tried it with both sisters in the room and the cheated one did get upset.

But I did end up getting the no jealousy mod as it suited my open marriage household scenario I eventually got around to. Mind you, I'd love a mod that allowed you to set individual jealousies as there are some sims in some of my households I feel would or should, rather, get jealous. Oh well, can't have it all.

-- The Roc
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 8:40 AM
This is why we need more tweaks and control over sims behaviors that come with the actual game. You should easily be able to set the cases for such things, especially since there's now designated "room" locations. Cheating in the same room should trigger jealousy, however it should be tweakable to have it on the same lot, anytime, or not at all. I think with the ESP people are complaining about is that I think in sims 3 if ANYONE sees the cheating the partner will know because the person that sees it will tell because of that gossip system. I think it stupidly triggers with pet sims as well.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 4:02 PM
Just did another jealousy experiment. Apparently cheating only really matters when your Sims are married. I had a sim get caught cheating on his fiance and while she did get a negative moodlet and their relationship lowered a little, it wasnt anywhere near damaging enough to make a difference. The negative moodlet didn't even reflect what just happened. It said he was being flirty with somebody else. That wasnt flirting, that was fucking! Her emotion didn't even change. She was still just as confident as she was before she caught them. And it didn't change her relationship with the guy who screwed her man in front of her!

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 8:57 AM
I found jealousy to be a little off, depending on the characteristics the sim will either get very angry/enraged or depressed.

It doesn't effect the relationship as much as one might expect. Unless you allow the angry sim to talk to the betrayer.