Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3826 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 4:44 PM
Dumping into the Receptacle -- please post here if all you want to do is whine, the Discussion forum is for discussion (duh).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3827 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 5:34 PM
In their defense, it's their first post here. They might not have known or noticed the thread. No need for excessive snark.
Mad Poster
#3828 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 5:45 PM
PB's comment still applies, that was not an opening for a discussion. But you're raising a good point, lil bag2, there are an awful lot of new posters here. Have you noticed the rash of mods requested lately in the main forum?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#3829 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 5:48 PM
Sigh...I booted up TS2 last night for random reasons. Took my single sim lady to the card shack community lot and was completely BLOWN away by the poker table animation! There are poker chips and buy-ins and bets and winnings when you get up from the table.

Then I remembered how dull the card table is in comparison in TS4. Why is this level of effort missing in TS4?!! Why?!!!!! I don't hate TS4--I've played many hours but looks like I'll be in TS2 land for a little bit. I miss how....whole....it feels.

(I'm not sure if this post belongs here in the Receptacle because I'm complaining about TS4 or in the Great Sims game debate thread since I'm comparing TS2 to TS4.)
Mad Poster
#3830 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
PB's comment still applies, that was not an opening for a discussion. But you're raising a good point, lil bag2, there are an awful lot of new posters here. Have you noticed the rash of mods requested lately in the main forum?

Sure, the comment applies, but the tone left me backing away very slowly after I opened the thread. lol

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Top Secret Researcher
#3831 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 6:42 PM
But still, there was a question, okay the rest was rant ^^
Quote: Originally posted by fortheloveofsims2015
Do you think we will ever get toddlers back?

Frankly, I don't think so anymore. We're already SIX months after the game release and there's still nothing. If they don't add them like from now until end of April, I think it's really screwed. So we should all be Kumbaya-ing, singing and praying to SimTots gods for them to have some pity, because it's now or never. After all it's our fault; we wanted EA to go back to the sources, well they went back way too far - to Sims 1.
Mad Poster
#3832 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
But still, there was a question, okay the rest was rant ^^

Frankly, I don't think so anymore. We're already SIX months after the game release and there's still nothing. If they don't add them like from now until end of April, I think it's really screwed. So we should all be Kumbaya-ing, singing and praying to SimTots gods for them to have some pity, because it's now or never. After all it's our fault; we wanted EA to go back to the sources, well they went back way too far - to Sims 1.

I believe that they'll be back, there's too much to lose from not including them.

If they don't come back, I can pretty much toss out any hope for a good Sims 5.
Mad Poster
#3833 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 7:14 PM
I think we need a little bit more time than April to know for sure, because they could still squeeze in that oh-crap-we-should-do-toddlers-because-we-are-losing-money Ep into their schedule. They have to get this current one out the door first, but it would be either the next or the one after that. So, if we don't hear anything by the end of this year, then yeah...it's not going to happen.

Theorist
#3834 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I believe that they'll be back, there's too much to lose from not including them.

If they don't come back, I can pretty much toss out any hope for a good Sims 5.

Considering what they've done with this game and the fact they disbanded Maxis I think tossing out any hope at all for TS5, much less a good one, might be the most appropriate response. EA has made no secret about wanting to do only mobile games eventually. That will mean dumping production at some point of every game they create for non-mobile devices.
Theorist
#3835 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I'm leaning towards the Standard version of Cities: Skylines; I decided I didn't need the extra buildings. (We'll all get the zen garden, btw; they had a foul-up with issuing the keys, as folks who were supposed to get one didn't and vice versa. So we're all getting it.)

Thank you to everyone who posted their thoughts on Standard vs. Deluxe Cities Skylines. I just purchased the Standard edition and its downloading now.

So excited!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#3836 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 8:43 PM Last edited by BoySim : 22nd Mar 2015 at 8:56 PM.
Been thinking if they add toddlers can save this mess of game.

If you analyze, sims games dropped in quality. Just see the transition sims 2 -> sims 3 -> sims 4. (I don't hate sims 3 but I would have stopped playing way early if wasn't for modders like pescado and twallan who made the game playable(!) ).
Sims 4 base game game lacks so much that we can't really expect they add all the features we miss, while delivering quality expansions packs. No matter how they try, sims 4 is doomed because of the lack of the open world, cast and all other features who made sims 3 and falls even more faster when compared to sims 2. Don't get me started on it's goals geared playstyle and the graphics ripped from candy crush saga.

Sims 4 clearly wasn't made for the long time fans...
Lab Assistant
#3837 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I think we need a little bit more time than April to know for sure, because they could still squeeze in that oh-crap-we-should-do-toddlers-because-we-are-losing-money Ep into their schedule. They have to get this current one out the door first, but it would be either the next or the one after that. So, if we don't hear anything by the end of this year, then yeah...it's not going to happen.

I don't understand why they don't just come out and say, "yes we are working on something so it's definitely not a "no". Or, if it's a "no" then just tell people that so they can make a decision based on no future toddlers or come to grips with the realization finally. I personally had no idea that some players were so passionate about toddlers. I feel really bad for people who bought this game thinking "potentially" they would be added. Some people will say they should have known better but I don't think that is very helpful and I think EA holds some responsibility of leading them on by being so secretive.

Toddlers are not the reason I haven't purchased but it adds to the "why not to buy" column....along with not being able to get over this "Stepford" vibe when I see images/videos of them.
Forum Resident
#3838 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Ok, off topic question: did anyone buy the deluxe edition of CS and if so, do you feel it was worth it?

Second OT question: I'd really like to try a racing game but nothing too intense and nothing that requires multiplayer. Any suggestions?

On topic: TS4 is plum.

For a driving game you can't go past Euro Truck Simulator 2 for vehicle variety, huge map, great scenery, runs well, has good support and is value for money. Not a racing game you say? It is if you drive like me! There's nothing like winding your truck up to 140+kph during rush hour on the motorway and trying not to hit anything!

Seriously, realistic racing on a PC can take a lot of power and you really need a wheel and pedals. But for a bit of Mario Kart like fun with only a cheap gamepad I play F1 Racestars, which can be picked up cheaply and is easy to get into. There are other similar kart style games out there too.

If you want an on-topic factoid, I haven't played Sims 4 since last year! Totally back playing Sims 3. Definitely going to check out CS soon, all your comments about it here have been very helpful.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥ Now playing Sims 4 but not as EA intended.....
Mad Poster
#3839 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sydsyrious
I don't understand why they don't just come out and say, "yes we are working on something so it's definitely not a "no". Or, if it's a "no" then just tell people that so they can make a decision based on no future toddlers or come to grips with the realization finally. I personally had no idea that some players were so passionate about toddlers. I feel really bad for people who bought this game thinking "potentially" they would be added. Some people will say they should have known better but I don't think that is very helpful and I think EA holds some responsibility of leading them on by being so secretive.

Toddlers are not the reason I haven't purchased but it adds to the "why not to buy" column....along with not being able to get over this "Stepford" vibe when I see images/videos of them.

Covering their butts?

Probably making sure that toddlers can actually work with their strong foundation before saying anything.

You're also right about the Stepford vibe.

"Eyebrows up! Hands out! Everyone do the hand dryer shake!"
Mad Poster
#3840 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:07 AM
Just for fun, I busted out my Housewives tarot deck and did a quickie one card reading. Putting the results behind a cut as to not offend anyone's sensibilities.

Forum Resident
#3841 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
He'll probably have to watch Mr. Nibbles. (You know how EA has llamas? Paradox has a platypus. They have a mascot one at their office, as well. He goes by Mr. Nibbles.)

So this Mr. Nibbles sounds like he was the one in charge of the Sims 4 marketing, eh? Nice they keep him around despite that disaster and tbh he did remarkably well for someone with hooves instead of hands.

Anyway, dang on Paradox not developing a life simulation game. I just want someone to finally kick hat fridge over so that perhaps multiple people simulator games could be released.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#3842 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Flaygor
For a driving game you can't go past Euro Truck Simulator 2 for vehicle variety, huge map, great scenery, runs well, has good support and is value for money. Not a racing game you say? It is if you drive like me! There's nothing like winding your truck up to 140+kph during rush hour on the motorway and trying not to hit anything!

Seriously, realistic racing on a PC can take a lot of power and you really need a wheel and pedals. But for a bit of Mario Kart like fun with only a cheap gamepad I play F1 Racestars, which can be picked up cheaply and is easy to get into. There are other similar kart style games out there too.

If you want an on-topic factoid, I haven't played Sims 4 since last year! Totally back playing Sims 3. Definitely going to check out CS soon, all your comments about it here have been very helpful.

Thanks for the ideas! I may just end up buying Mario Kart at some point, because I don't have the wheel thingy. And I actually already I have Euro TS 2! It's quite fascinating but I haven't yet got the hang of driving that dang truck, though. That's why I kept my mouth shut about Inge not being able to drive that farming tractor.

I started and failed at about 3 cities so far in CS. Took awhile before I got the hang of hooking up all the utilities. But the whole afternoon and part of the evening whizzed by unnoticed while tinkering with it, so I can see it's going to be a really absorbing game. Love it so far! Stopped just to eat supper and look for some more pointers online.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Scholar
#3844 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 2:55 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 23rd Mar 2015 at 7:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Considering what they've done with this game and the fact they disbanded Maxis I think tossing out any hope at all for TS5, much less a good one, might be the most appropriate response. EA has made no secret about wanting to do only mobile games eventually. That will mean dumping production at some point of every game they create for non-mobile devices.

They're not stupid, they're evil. They know that going 100% mobile makes them the next King "Candy Crush" or Rovio "Angry Birds" - spat on by all but the addicts. The EA logo would become a marker of a bad game, just as the LJN rainbow was.

For this reason, I don't think they'd ever give up making the sports games or the Battlefield/BioWare Hollywood-blockbuster games.

If only they considered the Maxis IPs worthy of being made as blockbusters and not as mobile cash-ins...

Edit to avoid a double post: A cross-post from me on the official forums.

They've trumpeted their "vision", implying that they are not listening, but doing what they feel will make the best possible game.

They would have a point if they were making a traditional game, linear and designed to tell a story. Dragon Age is a good example - just give BioWare the budget and let the creators do their thing.

But with a game where the focus is on the gameplay and not the story, you need to listen to feedback. If a gameplay mechanic stinks and there is no story-driven reason for it, trash it. In fact, in a game like The Sims, the stinky gameplay mechanics force the player to accommodate them in their story.

...then we get back to the people providing the vision, and that would cause a lock...

Third edit:

This made me ask myself - why haven't they fixed the incest bug? Or is it now an undocumented feature to be able to play a family like this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-together.html

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3845 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Time to rename this thread to "Cities Skylines"

Well, after the past year of shitty announcements about the "new" Sims, the shitty launch of it, and the shitty excuses of why they made the "vision" they hallucinated, it's kinda nice to talk about a really good simulation game that caters to the players, and not Lucy's nightmares.

I mean, really, see, we CAN be positive about a game after all! We're not really all just whiners and haters! We can have positive emotions too.
Theorist
#3846 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If City Skylines will work on my old dual core I wouldn't mind getting that though. It's only $40 for the deluxe addition-amazing.

It won't. I already tried it. It installs and runs, but opens to a blank screen with nothing. Still worth a $40 "donation" IMO though. They need to be encouraged.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3847 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 9:04 AM
At least they bothered to make a game that actually makes use of a computer.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#3848 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 9:19 AM
I'm considering upgrading my graphics card because mine is only a couple of notches above the minimum requirements for the game. It's played OK for me so far, but I haven't got a very large city yet. It'd ll be worth it to have a good graphics card to play GOOD games like Cities Skylines And any theoretical Life Sim from Paradox that might theoretically be coming down the theoretical pipeline....
Scholar
#3849 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 1:57 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 24th Mar 2015 at 7:12 PM.
I realized what the event goals remind me of - a reality show's producers asking that the cast of the show do a few specific things to make the episode really good.

Also - the FX guys added things to give a little visual punch? More like a punch to the [player's] gut because they do absolutely nothing.

Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
Oh, EA are at it again... staging things in their videos that we can't actually do in-game - unless we use our imaginations, yay(!)
What a pile of turd-crap - this company is so frickin' useless..
Take a page out of CO/Paradox's book, EA - let them show you how it's done.
EA have twice the resources and twice the employees. Go back to the drawing board, start again, and do this entire game properly!!

EA is figuring out the minimum ratio of AAA blockbusters to cash-grabs (whether it's pay-to-not-get-rekt-in-multiplayer or pay-to-not-wait-three-days-for-your-task-or-build-to-complete).

What they're forgetting is that relegating properties to cashgrab-only just makes them more hated.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3850 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 9:57 PM
I have to work out a better gaming strategy. Since getting CS, I've been alternating between it and TS3. As both are engrossing for me, they end up being sessions of at least a few hours. Aside from now wasting large portions of my day with both these games now installed, I've discovered some disturbing cross pollination.

My likely legacy heir was getting ready to age up to teen when I shut down to jump over to CS. Played CS for a while. Finally went to bed. Then, I had a dream. My sim heir went down to the birthday cake on the dining room table to blow out the candles (yeah, I usually set up the morning birthday celebration the night before so they have a full day as teen without having to go to school on their birthday). Unfortunately, in my dream, my soon to be teen route fails getting to the cake because I zoned some residential areas too close to the dining room table, and he can't step over the little buildings to get to the cake.

How pathetic is my life........................
Locked thread
Page 154 of 223