Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#7276 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
As for a competition game, it would be awesome if the members of the Sims community could pull together and make a suitable game but that requires a lot of knowledge and time. We have some talented members of the community, but whether we have enough talent to make an entire game from scratch I do not know.

Hmm, was just asking myself if it would be possible to interest a computer game developer (not linked to EA like Bioware for some reson ) for something better than this post-online-not-yet-offline-working-version of The Sims as this would be too much (especially without an engine) to be done by modders only. Of course I know that there must be some copyright-things and such that so far no compareable games were released yet - and no, games like Singles don't simulate life but dating only.

But if it was possible to get another life simulation it would be soo great!

Just imagine: already a well working weather system in the base game, different heights already during the life-stages so children would really grow and the ability to let your simulated chas look as real- or cartoony/manga/fantasy/alien/fairy/vampire/zombie/whatever-like as you want without having to wait for some buggy expansion packs. Of course the world would be open and "alive" as there would be more than 2 neighbours on the streets, in the shops and in the evening the nightclubs would be full if they were worth it. Entertaing and the "cool-factor" of clubs would matter, also depending on who visits this club so you could have real run-down pubs where you can only find old Joe and Bill every night and clubs with a waiting list as the Non-Sims would react on their environment and it's reputation.

Your simulated Non-Sims would be able to open their own business- after learning the required skills, maybe even in an evening school or a college in town and even as employees they wouldn't have to disappear in rabbitholes for a while just to get promoted after 1 day of hard work. They would have their own workplace they would have to fulfill the work of a day like writing articles, teaching pupils an instrument and such and during lunchbreak they could really meet coworkers or ask them to do some teamwork.

Your Non-Sims kids could celebrate more than 1 birthday per life-stage and they could really interact with each other, their older siblings, pets. So toddlers and children could already discover the world and if their parents would ignore them as long as they wouldn't have to be feeded they would feel loneley. A family-life could be far better in harmonic families and broken families would cause nasty children, because noone teached them how to interact with each other. As such, there wouldn't only be 5 traits and a few possible emotions but also some social skills the Non-Sims would have to manage, like empathy, manners and (skilled with reading books with kids, conversation, visiting cinema with them and for adults reading/watching news e.g.) general education.

Things like mowing the lawn and hoovering would be necessary from time to time to prevent natural looking flowery meadows and floors with a greyscale (dirty floors wouldn't bother every Non-Sim of course) but wouldn't take too much time because the whole time-management would be smarter. So it would only spend 2 ingame-minutes to brush teeth, 3-10 to hoover a room (depending on the roomsize) to make sure that the Non-Sims would have time for hobbies and such.

Gardening wouldn't guarantee some harvest because of snails, weather and other accidents but plants could be grafted to create new kinds of fruits and improve their quality. So your Non-Sims could live away from the city on a farm, growing wheat, corn etc. and/or maybe even with cows, pigs and chicken or live in a small farmer-village or if they would prefer to life in an artists-village they could do that until they prefer to move into the city on the same map to open their own art gallery... building features, holidays... ahh, have to stop...

There are so many possibilities to think of and of course programming such a life simulation wouldn't be easy or done in 6 month but when focusing on a life simulation with all the details that make sure the game feels like a simulation of lifes and not like a point'n'click adventure I would be fine waiting for this Non-Sims-Simulation until it's done properly and in this case I wouldn't mind buying an expensive game to make sure a store wouldn't be required to earn additional bucks.
As there is probably not enough time to turn the on- into a stable offline version it can't be wrong to lower everyones expectation down to nada for TS4.

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7277 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 2:04 PM
Yep I like all those ideas

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#7278 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 3:55 PM
I just caught up on 7 pages of thread and still no news? Boo. They really don't seem like they're ready to launch this game. I'd be a lot more impressed with EAxis if they'd just come clean, admit that they don't have a working beta yet and that they're not going to hit that six-month target, and "un-announce" the game. Clearly, it needs a lot more work than they have time for if they've still got nothing to show us. I'd rather wait another year for a decent base game than get a buggy train wreck that'll set the whole generation up for problems.
Instructor
#7279 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmer4Lyf
The ambient occlusion thing... that not only doesn't count as news, but uhm, thinking about them even trying to pass it off as news makes me indescribably angry.

They didn't, really. SimsVIP presented it as news, likely because there hasn't been anything else, but the information itself came from a forum post from a SimGuru in August.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Test Subject
#7280 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 6:04 PM
Seems like new information will be revealed in June.

http://simsvip.com/2014/04/09/thesi...drop-june-13th/
Lab Assistant
#7281 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 6:49 PM Last edited by Animator606432 : 9th Apr 2014 at 8:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Elaundra707

They better have a SHIT ton of information dropping since we are waiting so long. At least we have an actual date now instead of "soon". However, I feel slightly lied to. We were told information would be coming "soon" in March. June is almost 4 months away from March, how the fuck does that count as "soon"? All well, I'm nit-picking here.

Anyone have predictions on what the information will actually be?
Field Researcher
#7282 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Animator606432
The better have a SHIT ton of information dropping since we are waiting so long. At least we have an actual date now instead of "soon". However, I feel slightly lied to. We were told information would be coming "soon" in March. June is almost 4 months away from March, how the fuck does that count as "soon". All well, I'm nit-picking here.

There will be a new trailer, which greatly exaggerates every aspect of the game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7283 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:41 PM
I also expect a lot of content to be shown and reveal. From June, Fall isn't a hop, skip and jump away. After being almost a year since reveal, I'm going to need a lot more than a trailer.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#7284 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Animator606432

Hope for the best but expect the worst. Words to live by with EA and Sims4. Hope for the best: lots of info on ages and actual gameplay. Expect the worst: Surprise everyone! Now you can take snapshots of the sims' shiny new very emotional states because Sims4 is all about emotions, people!
Top Secret Researcher
#7285 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:51 PM

Not doubting you, Elaundra, but at this point I'll believe that *after* I've seen it! ('Cause I don't trust EA as far as I could throw them. Which isn't far!)
Test Subject
#7286 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Not doubting you, Elaundra, but at this point I'll believe that *after* I've seen it! ('Cause I don't trust EA as far as I could throw them. Which isn't far!)

Me neither.
Field Researcher
#7287 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:06 PM
Well, June is when E3 is, and it would be insane for them to not show at E3.
Forum Resident
#7288 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:18 PM
Man, they had better be sharing some serious news in June. And I mean, it had better blow me away to the point that it knocks me on my ass, like this:

Or I will have lost all faith in the TS4 team to be making us a decent life simulation game. Guess it's time for another drink... Bottom's up!

(See what you do to me EA?! You've turned me into a lush! )

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#7289 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:59 PM
If this means they are working to make the game better and actually a life simulator, then I'm ok. They better bring a new trailer, gameplay videos and a FULL LIST of contents, otherwise I don't know if they are aware of the complete embarrassment they are makig themselves feel or what.

And I don't want a tricky trailer, like the one they made first. I want a real trailer with actual game images >_> I watched the TSO trailer today and was amazed at how it was handled. Everything was in TS1 graphics but 3D and there was not a single image of gameplay xD I asked myself what would I have done if I saw that at the time. It's crazy.
Inventor
#7290 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 10:00 PM
No Sims trailer has shown 100% real gameplay. Half of it is always staged to sell gameplay that doesn't exist.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Lab Assistant
#7291 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
No Sims trailer has shown 100% real gameplay. Half of it is always staged to sell gameplay that doesn't exist.

Haha I know. Even then, TS2's trailers are the most reliable even if staged. Like in the OFB one they showed how a shop would work and stuff. I think those were actual trailers but I could be wrong.
Mad Poster
#7292 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
You know, I feel like OFB infrastructure should really be there in the base game. From the very outset, Sims need to buy things, and sell things, so a bare-boned "shop" system that expands throughout EPs with the rest of the base game just makes sense to me, and it would have opened up heaps of replay potential in the base game alone. I've always wanted objects to mean more to npcs, and not just appear or be purged, but for the objects in their inventories to actually become part of their day-to-day existence and influence what they do, a system like that could give the player a lot of indirect control over the townfolk's behaviour, but there would need to be some limit on how many objects could be stick around in NPC inventories, and a couple of basic non-rabbithole shops manned by NPCs - grocery, basic furniture store - the kind of really basic stuff you'd expect in a base game. A system robust enough to expand significantly with relevant EPs. It's actually not such a simple system, mostly due to the issues with coding NPCs to do all that shop work - manning registers, non-owned shops restocking or changing stock, etc - but it feels like it'd add a sort of vitality to the town, make sims seem more economically connected to each other, and provide such a fertile and common coding base for all the "shop-like" features inevitably to crop up across all the EPs. I've always felt, and still feel, the barest bones of OFB belong in the base game.

If they implement a meaningful economy in the game, then sims should not be able to buy randomly or spend more than they can afford, even the NPCs. They should pay first for things like food and bills, transportation, and whatever else they buy it should be first according to wishes, traits, skills or hobby interests, and only afterwards they should be able to spend on random stuff. But seeing that they actually made the grocery store redundant in TS3 and you could just buy a fridge, and all clothes were for free, I don't see EA giving us OFB style businesses back. The people they use for their focus groups to test new features on don't seem to appreciate that sort of towns, they like playing on their own little lot till their game explodes on their 50th generation sim.
Lab Assistant
#7293 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 1:04 AM
I'm REALLY hopping that'll we will get some explanation of this whole "emotion" thing that is supposed to be a major selling point yet we haven't been told a damn thing about. I'm REALLY worried about this....I just want to see some ACTUAL game play. Not just some mediocre trailer that doesn't show anything that makes me want to buy the game.
Forum Resident
#7294 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
They should pay first for things like food and bills, transportation, and whatever else they buy it should be first according to wishes, traits, skills or hobby interests, and only afterwards they should be able to spend on random stuff.

Man, wouldn't it be great if everyone IRL actually behaved with that kind of common sense? Raise your hand if you've bought books or video games when you reeeaaaly shouldn't have!
Lab Assistant
#7295 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 3:02 AM
I don't really know how to explain what I have in mind. All I know is that I feel very worried about the future of the Sims.

It's obvious for me now, that Sims 3 was first oriented "adventure/exploration" and survival, which explain why I have this impression my Sims don't even seem to consider they have other creatures of their kind in their surrounding, and are more absorbed into finding things and exploring the "opened world"... Damned, they look more disturbed and perturbated when they miss an insect catch than when the baby is dying from hunger on the grass outside under massive snow falls... I'm sure they planned more "World Adventures" contents at the beginning and realised how disappointed people were and tried to concentrate more on "humans relations" afterward, but on a game architecture not designed for that purpose to start with. I had THE revelation (amen...) when playing with their frustrating bakery set (lazy brain, revelation came really late ^^). My sim bought a bakery, cooked 3 to 4 day long without sleeping to fill the shop, then customers arrived, stayed their for a while, started to complain about hunger and instead of rushing on the food already ready to eat, ran into the kitchen to cook themselves something to eat, but died before they could finish the cooking of their freakin' food... How stupid is this? They don't even know that they are in a food store with food just waiting to be eaten... If they can't even spot food when they are dying of nutritional depletion, how could they be smart enough to even create some kind of simulated relationship with other brainless Sims?

Here it's when I stop to digress and come to the point where I am worried about Sims 4, because the game was obviously alpha-developped for some kind of strange interactions between online players via their Sims avatars in some kind of Second Life world... What the hell were they thinking when they first came with that idea? Are they really that much not concerned by their players "needs and wants" to even think about that kind of gameplay for the Sims? I mean, where is the life simulation in all that? They totally killed (or nearly, don't hate me Sims 3 fans, I also like the game, but not loving it the way I loved Sims 2) the simulated Human/Relationship/Family/Genetic part of the game in the 3rd version of their game, then, after 6 years of Sims 3 exploitation and feedback from their fans, they try to change the formula again in a way that is totally out of their customers expectations...

Okay, I'm aware my post is leading nowhere, and is not that much related to the topic debated here, but I had a bad day and felt the urge for a non-coherent succession of words! Sorry for that! ^^
Scholar
#7296 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 5:42 AM

I knew it!! all this infomation better eat my words after the new info. I hope the new info would be more than what most people already know. For example, how many ages, will it be easily be CC/ mod friendly on day one? Any new creative tools like CAW Bodyshop etc? Will the towns will be an open world and customizable? Will the careers act like rabbit holes again like the Sims 3 or will the all of the Sims careers will finally be open and act as professions in AMB? Will the game will come with an alternative color wheel and will towns that you can visit that while still keeping all of your relationships? These are super important to me, I will be glad if most of these questions will answered very soon, if not I will admit I will be very disappointed. I want them to eat my words and deeds in the end. Personally I want this sequel to be very successful and hopefully to still able create CC the way I want to in the Sims 4 if it would be allowed and hassle free unlike the Sims 3.

As for the Black Desert game all I have to say is, hot damn they made the impossible, possible!! it's probably the best trailers that I've seen in decades. I don't how many times I repeatedly watched that trailer today.
Retired
retired moderator
#7297 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
If they implement a meaningful economy in the game, then sims should not be able to buy randomly or spend more than they can afford, even the NPCs. They should pay first for things like food and bills, transportation, and whatever else they buy it should be first according to wishes, traits, skills or hobby interests, and only afterwards they should be able to spend on random stuff. But seeing that they actually made the grocery store redundant in TS3 and you could just buy a fridge, and all clothes were for free, I don't see EA giving us OFB style businesses back. The people they use for their focus groups to test new features on don't seem to appreciate that sort of towns, they like playing on their own little lot till their game explodes on their 50th generation sim.

I think a lot of the things we're suggesting at this point would be really, really performance intensive. I honestly don't know how viable it would be to expect a particular deep economic simulation, but I'd be content with a rather basic one that saw expansion. My new machine arrived today. It is shiny.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7298 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 11:32 AM
I don't think economic simulation would be performance intensive. It's just a bit of basic math that all computers are optimised to perform. I am sure the animations are the worst hit. I would have said the graphic realtime rendering but I am told that with a good graphics card a lot of that gets offloaded from the main cpu.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#7299 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 3:26 PM

Wow, an entire year after the game was announced and we might get something a little more detailed than info on emotions?

Such news much excite very informative wow

*throws money at EA*
Instructor
#7300 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 5:43 PM
I'm actually pretty convinced that the game will not be released this year at this point

Bustin' Out!
Locked thread
Page 292 of 817