Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#26 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 11:00 PM
Menopause. :D
Not that I'm saying that's what you're going through @coolsim22. Just bragging that I don't have to put up with Auntie Flo's monthly visits anymore.

VerDeTerre - Gotta say that I dreaded going through menopause. Doc said I was in pre-menopause at the young age of 33 (I'm only 48 now) and that it could last up to 15 years. I was like "What?!? You mean I have to put up with night sweats, hot flashes and funky periods that long?!? Haven't I been through enough already?". But now that I've officially gone through it and am considered post-menopausal (none for 2 years now) I can look back at those years and laugh. The hot flashes and night sweats were the worse part of it for me (never really got any mood swings) and those were a breeze compared to all the years of cramps and whatnot before it.

If anyone wonders why so young, I got my first period at 10. (Yes, TEN!) Females only have so many eggs, once those are gone menopause is next.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 11:19 PM
coolsim22, just ignore askurei, they are pot stirring to get a reaction out of you.

Like others have said it's totally normal in the first three years to be irregular and some girls are always irregular.

Lucky you MLC, I am only just now heading in lady M's direction at 48. Aunt flow can't leave soon enough. That is still very young even with starting at 10 since most of us started at about 13.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#28 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 11:49 PM
Yeah, I didn't find menopause to be such a big deal, really, and I'm grateful for that. I'm glad it wasn't for you, either, mustluvcatz. Some women do seem to really suffer and especially with interrupted sleep. I guess there are some things you can take, such as melanin and some herbs, to help with the regulation of sleep. And you're right, it was much easier than cramps.

Wishing you a tranquil transition joeandsarah77.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:40 AM
FWIW, my mom didn't have any symptoms going through menopause. She went in to see her doctor because she hadn't been getting her period, doc ordered a test of some sort, and said "yup, you're postmenopausal." She had no idea that she'd gone through "the change."

Also periods, yaaay! Let's talk about periods. Like others have said, it's totally normal for your periods to be irregular for the first several years of menstruation. You're young, you're still growing and developing, things haven't quite set in yet. Everything fluctuates during puberty--weight, periods, the pitch of your voice. If you're still experiencing cramps or other PMS-like symptoms but haven't yet menstruated, it's possible you're in for a longer, heavier period than usual. It's also possible that you might skip a month. I've been regular as clockwork since I started, but that's pretty unusual. Most women experience fluctuation and irregularity at some point. For some women, irregularity is the norm. If you're >5 years post-menarche and are still completely irregular, bring it up during your next doctor's appointment. Chances are it's nothing to worry about, but your doc may order a test or tests to make sure everything's in working order. Chances are, you don't need to worry about it unless you are actively trying to conceive, and even then, it's probably nothing to worry about. If you're comfortable doing so, talk to other ladies in your immediate family about their cycles. You may be in good company!

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:51 AM
And all the men in this forum got the creeped out moodlet

Haven't had one since I was pregnant. Eve's 18 months now. Don't really care to be honest. I never bothered looking into it.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 7:17 AM
Nymphetamine, depends on if you're (still) breastfeeding her. A lot of women don't get their periods back until they stop breastfeeding. Some don't get it back until quite a while after the birth. Although, 18 months sounds a bit much if you haven't breastfed or stopped doing it a while back.

As for creeping out the men? Probably. But in all seriousness boys, when you get a girlfriend you're going to have to live with this. I wouldn't at all mind if there was some less messy way of being able to have kids, or if evolution had been a bit gentler and let it happen fewer times a year.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:14 PM
Oh god no. Breast feeding lasted a whole month. Then my production stopped. As far as the gyno explained it, because I went from 125lbs pregnant to 100lbs after labour, the fact i had milk at all was amazing. All the water and such went to keeping my poor body running, so no more milk.
As i said, I don't really care that it's gone away. It'll come back eventually. Or not. I'm fine either way. Nothing else seems to be amiss.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#33 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:21 PM
I think it's completely wrong that babies come out where they do anyway, it seems unhygienic. Why don't they come out of the belly button like I assumed they did when I was a kid?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#34 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:35 PM
Inge - there are worse places they could come out of you know. So where they DO doesn't seem quite so bad.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:24 PM
thanks every one
i can talk to my mum
but i don't think she would know why it is happening because her periods have been regular ever since she started having them
i could talk to my grandma but i would feel very uncomfortable talking to her about it
when my mum told my grandma when i started having them i felt very uncomfortable when my grandma came over to me and started talking too me about it
#36 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:59 PM
In fact everything is probably fine and you don't need to talk about it or do anything special about it. But the fact you have a problem talking to the very women you're meant to be able to talk to about it means that I now strongly advise you do to so, if for no other reason than to start feeling more comfortable around the whole subject.

50% of the whole population either have them or have had them, it's not a secret

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#37 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:16 PM
I'm planning to go to med school or nursing school (I want to be an OB/GYN or a midwife) so I have absolutely no filter when it comes to stuff like this, haha. I could talk for hours about periods and birth control.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Mad Poster
#38 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 8:32 PM
I go to nursing school (3rd year), so my filter is mostly down already. When some of the most important things in certain areas of the work are pee, poop and farting, you kinda lose your filtering pretty quick.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 8:45 PM
It always cracks me up when people come here for medical advice. Than again, for some people THIS is their comfort place.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#40 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:59 PM
@grammapat

I'm asking here because i can't ask any where else
and i only feel comfortable asking here
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:21 AM
Well, you have a whole bunch of us here not embarrassed by it ask away.

After some pondering I DID finally call a nurse here. Seems to be related to being too underweight Not infertile, but I need enough fat deposits for estrogen or something along those lines. Thanks, ladies. At least I have an answer of sorts.
#42 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:45 AM
Makes me wonder whether instead of giving the talk to girls in school they should to it in groups of say 10 girls and ask each girl to bring a female relative or carer with them so they get used to the subject being dealt with across-generation, and then have an open discussion at the end, with all ages being encouraged to exchange views and experiences. A young girl's biggest danger with her whole sexual health it seems to me, is being too scared or embarrassed to confide in the very people best placed to support them when they're worried - or worse still when something really has gone badly wrong.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:41 AM
Once you have kids you don't care about talking about periods, cycles, poop, vomit, pee everything. In fact they become topics of conversation between mums. Pee sample jars are topics of jokes as is poop. Having a baby desensitizes you to all of it because any dignity or hang ups you had get left at the maternity ward door. As a teenager even the thought of talking to my mum or anyone would have me want to hide under a rock, so we understand. Not everyone is like that, but plenty of us were I'm sure. Things change as you get older.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:44 PM
thanks everyone

i'm more relaxed about it
but for some reason i can't get it out of my mind
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:16 PM
@pizza
thanks

on the first post Inge Jones said that it is possible to get pregnant and still be a virgin
that comment just kind off scared me and made me feel worst
so i really hope that is not the case for me
Mad Poster
#46 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:32 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:54 PM.
There's perhaps a microscopic possibility (although I'm pretty sure sperm won't be viable for very long unless in a friendly environment), so unless you happened to touch a pool of sperm immediately after someone else had some "boy-fun", and you had some "girly fun" right after that, in a timeframe where your body is actually very much ready to get pregnant (optimally a few days somewhere in the middle of two periods) I don't think you have to be afraid.

"Virgin" births aren't exactly common, and those I've heard of are for the most part fiction, or happened due to a misunderstanding. Apparently, people can be extremely stupid and not understand exactly how babies are made, so they have a bit of boy-and-girl fun and think they're still virgins (like only having oral/anal - where there's a small possibility it can lead to pregnancy if they're not careful enough with where their hands and other equipment go). And yes, that happens more often than you'd think. There's probably even a "sex education for dummies" book out there that those people could really need. Like those that say that condoms are bad. Really, they're not. They protect both ways against STDs or other nasty stuff (no matter where the boy sticks equipment), they protect against having more kids than you can afford, and they can apparently be fun to put on if you do it right...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:38 PM
@simmer22

thanks
at least i will be able to get that of my mind
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:56 PM
@pizza

thanks
i'v read over his comment a few time and realized that can't be the case for me (hopefully) even though i haven't had any sexual activity with a man

all i need to do now is try and get it of my mind
i think another reason it hasn't started yet is because I've been worried about my GCSE i haven't started any proper exams but i seriously don't feel ready to do my GCSE the subjects that i used to find easy have suddenly become quite hard especially science and maths
i think that is because I've been put into the higher paper.
i was really happy at first about it but that was before i realized that it would become much harder than it was
now i just wish i could do the foundation papers
Mad Poster
#49 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:56 PM
Pizza is right. Lots of stress might put the hormones on hold (fight-and-flight comes before baby-making in the hormone hierarchy, as far as I know).

(I think that's the first time I've ever used the sentence "pizza is right" )
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 9:05 PM
thanks so much everyone (I've probably said this more than five times)

i can finally get it off my mind
if i don't have one next month i am going to ask my mum to take me to the doctors just to check that every thing is alright
Page 2 of 4