Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:16 AM
Default a bit bored
I'm feeling a bit bored plying the game. I know its just the base game, and I'm so excited to see how the expansions expand the game play for the sims 4, but sadly I have found myself a bit bored. I used to play the sims 1 and 2 with such imagination even though in all games I play in a family legacy style. This is not me complaining, infact I think the fault is with me considering when I played both 1 and 2 I was still a child /pre teen so my imagination was running wild... you know?

Id like to hear from you guys though to give me some inspiration on how I could spice up my game play... so, How do you play?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:39 AM
No, I am not a child, far from it and I am bored. I have played 337 hours according to Origin, and have not been able to get past the first generation of family before restarting a family. The game is too goal driven, and the lack of story progression means all your neighbors just remain static unless you play them, and when it is time to kick some of the grown children out of the nest they are as static as the neighbors you don't want to play. Unless you play them, they will not get jobs, get married , have children, they will just grow old and die.

The best part of Sims3 was the story progression. I have played it with and without Twallan's story progression mods and for me one of the wonders and pleasures of the game was seeing what the sims did on their own without my interference. Checking the family tree or having your active family visit another family, and finding the unexpected new baby, in and out of wedlock, marrigage or divorce is one of things that made the game interesting, and not become boring.
Scholar
#4 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:47 AM
I made an emotion rollercoaster in a long corridor. I did that by putting up career rewards with activated auras in intervals. It also kind of acts like a wheel of fortune too. What action will the sims roll at the end of the corridor? Place your bets!
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:36 AM
You could be the first person to do a TS4 Asylum challenge. With the personality changes in the game, I bet that would be a riot.
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ksstrek
No, I am not a child, far from it and I am bored. I have played 337 hours according to Origin, and have not been able to get past the first generation of family before restarting a family. The game is too goal driven, and the lack of story progression means all your neighbors just remain static unless you play them, and when it is time to kick some of the grown children out of the nest they are as static as the neighbors you don't want to play. Unless you play them, they will not get jobs, get married , have children, they will just grow old and die.

The best part of Sims3 was the story progression. I have played it with and without Twallan's story progression mods and for me one of the wonders and pleasures of the game was seeing what the sims did on their own without my interference. Checking the family tree or having your active family visit another family, and finding the unexpected new baby, in and out of wedlock, marrigage or divorce is one of things that made the game interesting, and not become boring.

I totally agree here. I really miss story progression, and the Sims 4 has grown fairly dull for me as a result. I'm hoping that additional content coming down the line will make the game so entertaining that it'll make up for that, but since the world isn't open in this game I don't see how they could effectively implement any real story progression.

That said, there were times that SP really worked against me... like when I was so busy trying to build up my Sims' career that all the people I was interested in getting my sim together with were taken... XD
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 7:34 AM
We are all such different players. Personally, I hated story progression and love the fact that the Sims will be where I left them. I don't get bored because I don't play a goal-driven game. I guess I just like it simpler, but not everyone does. I do pick one thing, like fishing, and try to do a lot of that, but I don't get bent out of shape if I decide to wander off in my game and have my Sim get all involved in his garden instead. So, again, it's a lot about being different kinds of players, I think, as much as anything.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DaniCast
I'm not a child and I'm far from bored. I play in rotational style so I already filled up one entire hood with my families. I'm playing the second generation at the moment (origin says that I played 293 hours so far) and I'm really enjoying the variety. I have sims who are mixologists, artists, geeks, criminal, athletes, sims who stay at home, dancers, so many different things - don't forget a ghost family - are going on in my game right now! I'm waiting for the first expansion but a lot of things please me like how much beautiful the game is overall (I love the sky and the sun shadows), I downloaded a really great collection of lots, the game runs smooth, the music is great... it's a pleasure to me to play.
I'm very happy.

Hahahaha! I find it a little amusing that according to four people (at time of my comment, you apparently don't find it a pleasure to play and are not happy as they disagree with you.

I've played approximately 160+ hours and stopped recently because I needed to upgrade my video card which was way smaller then they suggested and to fix that, I got a whole new gaming computer built (I am surprised that I had played that long, as was the young bloke that built my new computer - he was amazed it played at all!) as I also intend on playing a couple of newer generation games that my old XP system won't like either.

I am re-installing TS4 as I type and am only wandering about here while I wait. So I also have enjoyed the game enough not to be bored with it and want to re-install and re-add all my mods (the last part not being an issue, they are safe in the mod folder I saved from my old game).

So me too, I'm happy as well! Gosh, I do hope no one disagrees with the fact I am happy because I'm darn sure I am!
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrRoc
Hahahaha! I do hope no one disagrees with the fact I am happy because I'm darn sure I am!

I hovered over the disagree button with a smile on my face, then moved over to the funny. So you have a changed-mind disagree.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:11 AM
I have several families right now.

A fat ugly slob Sim who is for some reason very popular with the girls. He pretty much dated (and got pregnant where possible) the entire female neighborhood by now.

I'm starting a couple with a dozen or so kids (still need to download the mod that makes it possible).

A poor guy with NO money trying to get him as rich as possible.

A Sim that's happily married but dates everything on 2 legs without his wife finding out about it.

A sim that's a loner, noncommital and geek trying to find a nice partner.

Still planning to partner up a good and evil sim to see how that goes.
Inventor
#11 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:51 AM
I'm too busy to get bored. To begin with, I filled up all the small cheap lots with singletons, to test out the various careers. Now those singletons are arranging themselves into families, so the small cheap lots will no longer do. Anticipating the arrival of TS4 pools in December, I have just moved Neil Armstrong with his wife and daughter into a larger lot, so he can have his rocket in the back garden, his daughter can have monkey bars, his wife can have her observatory, and still leave room for an olympic-size pool. There is so much to do! Houses to build, community lots to improve - the whole neighborhood needs re-arranging.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 9:33 AM
From reading around it looks like those who like to play one household are most likely to get frustrated at this point (pre any EP releases)
From my perspective, I'm loving creating a neighbourhood of characters and seeing them interact. I actually have too many ideas and not enough time.
Maybe a temporary change of play style might work for the moment?
Scholar
#13 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 9:34 AM
very bored not enough customization
Scholar
#15 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 10:36 AM
Considering the two worlds are very identical with only 5 community lots between them, I'm not surprised, unfortunately it's already becoming a curse like TS3, I had more fun installing it and patching it, and getting it to work on various machines than actually playing the game lately.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:16 PM
I am finding the game pretty boring, and the emotions (the huge new selling point) while nicely expressed are shallow and don't seem to affect the direction of the game other than leading to sudden deaths. The memory system in TS2 led to much more depth to the characters, they just needed it better tuned so they wouldn't be upset for the whole of their lives over a burnt pancake! .

However, as in a point made above, the emotion system could lend itself nicely to enhancing something like a prison management mod

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:34 PM
I hope you're able to make another prison mod, Inge.

In response to a point made above, you can play goal oriented but if you don't want to, you aren't forced to. I think they should've made the dating goals able to be turned off, though

As for me, I'm kind of taking a break from playing and doing a lot of creating. I think breaks are important in order to not get bored.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applefeather2
We are all such different players. Personally, I hated story progression and love the fact that the Sims will be where I left them. I don't get bored because I don't play a goal-driven game. I guess I just like it simpler, but not everyone does. I do pick one thing, like fishing, and try to do a lot of that, but I don't get bent out of shape if I decide to wander off in my game and have my Sim get all involved in his garden instead. So, again, it's a lot about being different kinds of players, I think, as much as anything.

Sounds like you play a lot like I do. Also I think it does help to play on a longer lifespan than the default because peronally I feel like I'm rushed playing on default. Rushed to find my sims a mate, to advance in career, etc etc.

So playing on a longer span I'm allowed to just have my sims do nothing some days and I don't pay much attention to the goals. One of my sims will probably never get close to reaching the top of her career because she's a mean sim and needs to make 5 friends and that probably just isn't happening but that's fine. Not every sim needs to be super successful for me to love them all!

I'm not bored of the game yet but I'm usually only able to play a lot of it on weekends.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Forum Resident
#19 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 6:00 PM
Yeah the problem with story progression I had was that it boxed you in with one family and basically took away control from the player. NO THANKS!

I don't play legacies I need to have multiple options visually and in playstyle. In Sims 3 I found myself making the one family I would have physically attractive, white and largely harmonious, because it was all I could had and Shit Story Progression continuously ruined my Sims love life by involving the partners I had chosen with someone else, killing them or flat out erasing them "they moved away"

In Sims 4? Boy, a far cry from it! I have once again families of every shape, size, colour, creed, grade of functionality and so on. I explore all the facets of the game with my multiple families and with some I just do my own thing. With some I follow the goals and grind, with others I don't.
Multiple families gives me, personally, more freedom this is why Sims 3 seemed very limited to me and Sims 4 does not.

I can't wait for the first EP either, just to see that amaing world they gave us in the basegame expanded.

I also need CAW. I'm running out of space and don't want to adopt a "One Child Policy" this early into my run.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 6:23 PM
I just downloaded Snoop Dogg from the gallery, and I can't wait to see what kind of adventures he gets into :D

Other than him, what I like to do when I start to get bored is kindof...make my anti-Sim. Cause generally my Sim is the good, nerdy, bookwoorm person, so I'll make mean/evil noncommittal etc Sims (usually with the worst fashion sense I can cobble together) and explore the world through their eyes. The difference in goals/whims etc really brings a side to the game I wouldn't normally experience.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrRoc
Hahahaha! I find it a little amusing that according to four people (at time of my comment, you apparently don't find it a pleasure to play and are not happy as they disagree with you.

I've played approximately 160+ hours and stopped recently because I needed to upgrade my video card which was way smaller then they suggested and to fix that, I got a whole new gaming computer built (I am surprised that I had played that long, as was the young bloke that built my new computer - he was amazed it played at all!) as I also intend on playing a couple of newer generation games that my old XP system won't like either.

I am re-installing TS4 as I type and am only wandering about here while I wait. So I also have enjoyed the game enough not to be bored with it and want to re-install and re-add all my mods (the last part not being an issue, they are safe in the mod folder I saved from my old game).

So me too, I'm happy as well! Gosh, I do hope no one disagrees with the fact I am happy because I'm darn sure I am!
Mmm...we do see a lot of this. People might be using "agree" and "disagree" to mean "me too!" or "no, not my experience". It causes some confusion because, normally, one would never say they disagree with someone's experience or feelings about something, because it's not possible to disagree with that. It's subjective and you cannot tell someone what they feel. So, it's confusing. Normally, I'd interpret a "disagree" when someone states their opinion as "You don't feel that way", but as I think about it, they must be saying something else such as "not my experience".

I'm not bored either. I haven't explored enough and haven't even gotten to the point of stretching the game's limits with weird situations or Sims. But, I don't play constantly either. Oddly enough, I fired up Sims 3 recently and found myself wishing it had some of Sims 4's features. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy 3, because I do. It just means that the features in 4 are something I appreciate.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#22 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 7:38 PM
I noticed that I don't play long each session. I think I know why now. In TS3 I used to mix gameplay and building. Slowly creating a neighbourhood to my liking during play. I usually ended up creating my own hang outs and replacing default houses that I didn't like. The story progression also made the neighbourhood and their families more interesting. Especially offspring that were still hanging around after a couple of generations, mixed with some sims that I used to play and made immortal.

In TS4 that is sorely missing for me and just playing the sims of a family becomes boring to me quite fast. The careers don't help either, they feel gimmicky and restricted to me because of some of the goals that gate me into the exact same gameplay everytime. Building without landscaping is not that great imo, no story progression and barely a neighbourhood to change.

My former post about building the emotion rollercoaster corridor was more a test on how to deal with those emotional aura objects, because I was kind of getting frustrated with those. I guess I don't like this game mechanic that much. The corridor just turned out to be funny to watch by accident. But didn't lead to anything I will use in my game from now.
Scholar
#24 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Yeah i actually made a topic about some Farmer needs a Wife challenge, but i do not see it? Was it taken from the Stories topic and into the Challenges topic?

Farmers what? Why are you asking me a weird question?
Theorist
#25 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:30 PM
I'm bored too. I definitely am not getting into Sims 4 nearly as much as I got into Sims 2 and 3. Can't really pinpoint why, since the sims are definitely livelier and more entertaining to watch than they were in 3.
Could be the reason is I've just been trying to get sims their aspiration, which mainly involves skill-building and career advancement. Skill-building and career advancement has always been a big part of Sims games, but I've always found it really boring. Watching a sim do repetitive things to build skills is just not fun for me, and I tend to want to fast-forward through it. Careers for me are also super boring. Having a sim do repetitive things to build up enough of whatever it needs to advance in a job, and then having them disappear off the lot for awhile, isn't fun either. In the Sims 3 days, I always had Awesomemod installed so I'd just CTRL-click to switch active households and play with other sims while my other ones are building skills or doing whatever boring crap they need to do to advance in their jobs, but can't do that with Sims 4. Tried to play last night, and got so bored after just 15-minutes that I ended up taking a nap.

Maybe it will get more fun when I finally get all this aspiration crap out of the way and play more sandbox style. In TS3, I eventually got to where I wouldn't even have sims get jobs, they'd make money other ways. Although I don't know, I might always have to go through boring stuff to get aspiration points because without the hardly hungry, never sleepy, and antiseptic rewards, they spend all their time having to fulfill needs.

With TS3, I also used to enjoy spending a lot of time customizing outfits using CASt or making creepy/rundown looking houses, also using CASt. Things I'll never be able to do with TS4.

So I don't know, maybe it'll never be as fun as previous sims games for me. Oh well, at least Dragon Age Inquisition and GTA V come out for PC in the not too distant future.

Resident wet blanket.
Page 1 of 2