Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#2451 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mondenkind
Well, it is good to know you didn't mean to exclude me from the wolves. Now i don't have to rewrite all of my fanfictions (seriously though, Tyrion for the win!).
I know it's not excluded from moderation, but i particularly enjoy the "letting things slide". I know it's not possible if this doesn't stay "the trashbin that was misused by its participants as a serious thread".

I have to adore this. Tyrion is the love of my life. If he'd made TS4 on his own, I'd probably play it with a grin on my face and a "stupid" moodlet for the rest of my life.

Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Look at it this way: If you had poured hours and hours of your life and passion into developing something, you'd be liable to have a fondness for it too - to really love it and think it was awesome. The question is really whether Graham would like the game if he was on the receiving end of it, and paid full price for it, without all the emotional and professional investment he has. What if he found himself comparing the experience to others games at similar price points? Or, more likely, to the two or three excellent and fleshed games he could get on Steam for the same price as TS4's fairly sparse base game (talking NZ prices here, though, don't know if it translates to US well). There is just no way TS4 is value for money, TS3 was already pushing the boundaries of that. Plenty of us doubt he would be quite so fond of it then, but it's a bit pointless indulging in these kinds of thought experiments - there are too many variables. All I really know is I don't consider the game as it stands worth my time or and money, which I feel is rather tragic.

No, no, no kiwi_tea! I understand Graham, and why he says those things! I don't hate him, never have! I agree entirely with your last post on the subject, and I liked it. When I say I hope he doesn't really like the Game, I'm not trying to call him out on lies or hypocrisy! He has to be positive, I know that. I'm just trying to fantasize on his true geek... you know, the real geek/nerd thing we like about him. When I hope he's not a TS4 fan, it's a faith thing I'm still indulging in. Would you ever be turned on by a guy who approaches you with a "Hi cutey pie. You've got great eyes. How about a Sims 4 together, babe?". Sorry, I don't see Graham saying that. Ever. Meant as a compliment if nothing else. Sorry.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2453 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:04 PM
I wonder what is wrong with letting our designs stay persistent from one game session to the next when we use MOO, (moveobjects on)? Since I don't play much, I did try out MOO for design and try out for a few contests but when I open the lot I spend over 20 mins adjusting what I placed before. Frustrating again, so I close the game. I don't get how it's so hard to get something working that have been part of the series for a long time.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Retired
retired moderator
#2454 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I wonder what is wrong with letting our designs stay persistent from one game session to the next when we use MOO, (moveobjects on)? Since I don't play much, I did try out MOO for design and try out for a few contests but when I open the lot I spend over 20 mins adjusting what I placed before. Frustrating again, so I close the game. I don't get how it's so hard to get something working that have been part of the series for a long time.
Could it be they were spooked enough by the awkward routing in TS3 that they decided to go back to basics on that front - ie, strip out complicating factors like MOO? The routing was such a persistent issue in TS3 that I wouldn't be altogether shocked if that's why it has been a challenge - they planned around not having it there. Pure speculation before my bedtime, though. Night all.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#2455 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:18 PM
Please Graham, could you bring things back to normal, aka mutual respect, and just talk about the online mistake? We would love that. It would serve both sides. Really.
Mad Poster
#2456 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:19 PM
Could it be they were spooked enough by the awkward routing in TS3 that they decided to go back to basics on that front - ie, strip out complicating factors like MOO? The routing was such a persistent issue in TS3 that I wouldn't be altogether shocked if that's why it has been a challenge - they planned around not having it there. Pure speculation before my bedtime, though. Night all.

Good night, sweet dreams.

I thought that was remedied by letting sims walk through each other and objects. Before MOO was implemented the sims were walking through everything, that is with everything in their normal place.

ETA: Just to add, my use of MOO was not to change the useable objects position but to add objects in empty corners or that one thing implemented to move assets up and down with the 0 or 9 and that causes an issue of what's under that object is sent to the inventory upon your next game session. Oh well.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Theorist
#2458 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham

Hi there Gargoyle Cat - I want to address this directly as I wasn't aware some people were still upset about it. I don't feel I have anything to apologize for in regards to that comment (and for posterity, I'll include the comment below for anyone reading this to judge for themselves), but I am genuinely sorry if you or others in the community felt it was a personal attack or an attempt to negatively label anyone. To me it was a metaphor used to explain how I felt posting at times, and not a derogatory statement towards anyone (as I mentioned in that post, I sympathized with where players were coming from due to the lack of information at the time). I wouldn't take back what I said, although I'd hope people would see it through the lens that I intended, or at least understand what I was attempting to say after reading this. I may have made a mistake in sharing my feelings too casually as I enjoyed posting here and felt relatively comfortable with some of the regulars, and didn't give enough consideration to how that comment may sound to someone who doesn't really know me.

Hey Graham, nice of you to stop by.

I don't feel the need to apologize either and I'm not going to. You are a producer of a game that is about to celebrate it's 15 year anniversary. I have been around this game for all of those 15 years. I have seen the best of days within this community and I've seen what I believed at the time was the worst. I've been proven wrong on the worst part, but I don't need to get into that as people can read for themselves.

You are a producer. I personally hold you to a different standard, a higher standard. If you are that upset with the community for whatever reason, instead of the name calling, how about addressing the problem within a appropriate time frame? I will put on my Queen of the Obvious cap for a second only to remind you that what you say here spreads to all corners of the community. If you're okay with that, so am I. The longer a snarky comment hangs in the air without a explanation, the greater the odds will be that it is going to spread even further and hang around like dead weight. I have zero influence in the sims community and I don't want any. Things I say are readily and easily overlooked, however I don't obey brow beatings. It's not my style to be fed guilt trips and yes, more snark into liking a person that I'm not supposed to be snarky with. It is a strange thing, being told with snark not to be snarky. Wolves do not express this type of behavior, but we can discuss how wolves behave at a later time.

There seems to be this notion that when things are said, they are simply forgotten. I've read such statements from your fellow coworkers. If you or anybody else for that matter from the Maxis studio were to hang out within the community for a extended period of time, you would know that things are simply not forgotten. This goes for bad things as well as good things. I have many memories of the TS2 official forum that I'll hang to forever because they are fun things to remember and talk about from time to time.

If such a request is too much, that's fine. You are a busy person that has bigger and more important responsibilities. Along with the quote that prompted a reply, I also stand by my statement that shit rolls down hill which I'm sure you understand. You, along with other producers and devs set the tone for this crazy game that is TS4. It is noble to defend and be loyal to your coworkers, but if all that is being tossed out into the community is snark and toxicity, that's a choice that you guys make. I accept that choice, but that doesn't mean I have to like it whether I'm a hyena, wolf or a dragon.

Good luck, Graham.
Lab Assistant
#2459 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
They code it, they know how it is done. When someone who codes say things like "it would take years," he speaks from truth. A person who is just a spokesman says "it takes years" is not.

As I've mentioned earlier from one of my own jobs, I designed the machine, I built the circuits, I tested it in various temperature environment, stress testing, etc... I know everything there is to know about the machine. When the news channel came to interview us, the director send someone from HR to talk to them, reading off notes written by me. That is just talking to the news, what if they start asking technical questions? Can she answer that?

I've been to plenty of meetings where my superiors and directors have MBAs but no engineering background. They ask for the most ridiculous things b/c they are clueless in how it is done. Yeah, we lost contracts because of their decisions and hundreds if not thousands get laid off.

My personal favorite? Anyone heard of C-Cube Microsystems? Probably not. They were the first to invent the JPG system. But the company heads sold the rights/technology to another company b/c they want to focus on video and think JPG is a dead end. I forgot which one of the big company bought it, soon after created the first digital camera. C-Cube? Massive layoffs, eventually bought by LSL Logic... and I have no idea where they are today.

I hate to be blunt, but if the upper management (actually mid management) know what they were doing, know what public wants, and are the way you have been describing --> caring about their fans and customers... then how could you possibly come out with TS4 the way it is? I am pretty sure you were in many many meetings with your coders and programmers complaining to you that this is the wrong direction.

Respectfully, I get the sense that you're taking many of your own biases formed by your own work experiences and inexplicably making assumptions about a job and a company that you have no direct internal knowledge of. I get where you're coming from with the thing where people outside of your field are making decisions that impact your job, but a video game is more than a pile of code, and it takes more than an engineer to create projects on this scale. I don't know how to code and I've never passed myself off to the community as someone who does, but I'm also not HR, PR, or any other position that implies I don't work on the development of the game itself day in and day out. Of course in addition to our many engineers we also have our modelers, animators, designers, our audio team, FX artists, QA, tech designers, CM, development directors, concept artists, and more who work directly on the game and are certainly qualified to also be gurus and speak about their area of expertise with authority. When Popular Science was interested in doing an article on The Sims 4, we sat them down with our engineers. When People Magazine gets in touch though, they and their audience are less interested in how the game is coded. I'd suggest that you consider that some of your preconceived notions of how our team operates might be off the mark.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2460 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:02 PM
The Sims 4 was someone's "vision" and I doubt whether Graham or any of his engineers were even consulted until the "vision" was already brainstormed onto a whiteboard in the executive suite, back from the concept artists, documented, and rubber-stamped.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#2461 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:13 PM
Graham,
Well do you understand why there is no immersion in the game? At least? Do you enjoy it yourself? As much as Minecraft, for instance? You probably can't answer this, but as a gamer yourself, you must be frustrated with TS4.

The notifications are ok, but how do you delete the ones you want? I thought you were responsible for them. Can you only delete the whole lot or is there another way to select them?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2463 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Let me be upfront, no coder/engineer would have supported the idea to do TS4 on a 32-bit architecture.

It's decisions like this that make me feel sims players are being thought of as the "poor relations" of the gaming community. All the other games seem to be getting deeper, faster, more realistic. Then it comes to the sims and it's getting dumbed down for us technophobic little featherheads (who are also too fragile to see fear or unhappiness on our screens)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#2464 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anais123
I have to adore this. Tyrion is the love of my life. If he'd made TS4 on his own, I'd probably play it with a grin on my face and a "stupid" moodlet for the rest of my life..

I really like your posts, but you can't have him. I'm already married to Tyrion in Tomodachi Life and we are very veryy happy, sorry to inform you. I know it's hard but if my boyfriend is able to accept this, so are you.

To not keep the discussion so OT:
Graham, you already brought us Star Wars costumes, now please bring on a GOT pack of some sort!
Instructor
#2465 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:40 PM
Hey Graham I want to ask you a couple of questions

What are your team feelings about the community? TS4 has received a lot of backlash from some fans. How did you take it?
As a fan I feel like TS4 was kind of a dissapointment and I feel like most fans think the same, but from your point of view, is it really like that? Did you receive a lot of good critiques and we (the disappointed fans) are just a loud minority? I just would like to know how does the situation looks from your side.
Lab Assistant
#2466 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 1:53 PM
I really like your posts, but you can't have him. I'm already married to Tyrion in Tomodachi Life and we are very veryy happy, sorry to inform you. I know it's hard but if my boyfriend is able to accept this, so are you.

To not keep the discussion so OT:
Graham, you already brought us Star Wars costumes, now please bring on a GOT pack of some sort!

Well, by the look of your posts, all I can say is you deserve him.

Can I be a dragon and hover around just enough to hear his witty remarks? That's enough for me! GOT, let Tyrion live!

I'd like a GoT pack, better than a Katy Perry sickening sticky cupcake disaster. But not with the TS4 map! And I wasn't fond of the buggy dragons in TS3 that wouldn't even hatch. And you'd have to get rid of cell phones, roads, street signs etc. Too hard... too expensive...
Forum Resident
#2467 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 2:10 PM
Well, by the look of your posts, all I can say is you deserve him.

Can I be a dragon and hover around just enough to hear his witty remarks? That's enough for me! GOT, let Tyrion live!

I'd like a GoT pack, better than a Katy Perry sickening sticky cupcake disaster. But not with the TS4 map! And I wasn't fond of the buggy dragons in TS3 that wouldn't even hatch. And you'd have to get rid of cell phones, roads, street signs etc. Too hard... too expensive...

I don't own the dragon town. Very sad to hear it is functioning that bad because i thought about getting some store stuff.
I thought more about some costumes. I would like to own some of Danaerys' dresses, but they might not be really appropriate for teen rate... on the other hand, do you remember that TS 3 dress that looked like it was made of veeery little tape?
Sure, be a dragon all you like and Hear Me Roar!
Lab Assistant
#2468 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 2:45 PM
I don't own the dragon town. Very sad to hear it is functioning that bad because i thought about getting some store stuff.
I thought more about some costumes. I would like to own some of Danaerys' dresses, but they might not be really appropriate for teen rate... on the other hand, do you remember that TS 3 dress that looked like it was made of veeery little tape?

I love GoT and I did get the "Dragon valley" or whatever it was called. The eggs never hatched. I never saw a dragon, though I had loads of eggs. Also, though it was meant to be medieval (or was it?) they threw in a couple of dirt paths and the rest was modern day roads with street signs. Also, there was plenty of traffic on those roads, and more like NYC taxis than GoT. I was disappointed, but not enough to thoroughly hate the game. I used that world as a weird resort for my GoT Sim fans.

TS3 is genius. I'd like to say, great, wonderful, entertaining. But since TS4, it's become GENIUS. More than amazing. It's a pity the "gurus" don't take that as a compliment anymore. After all, it really is.
Inventor
#2469 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 2:50 PM
I still don't think this game would be such a hopeless disaster if they used my version of the Sims 4 and used Twilight town.
Lab Assistant
#2470 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 3:47 PM

Sorry I didn't answer your question! Yes I do seem to recall tape dresses, but I can't remember if they were CC or in game. Anyway, in TS4, you go from age nine to 30, then 30, then 30 again, then slightly older, then death. So I don't even know what couldn't be teen appropriate in this game; there are no teens. As soon as they're not children, they are free to wear whatever. I don't see them as teens.

There's no family tree either. Apparently the Lannisters produced it.
Forum Resident
#2471 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:01 PM
Sorry I didn't answer your question! Yes I do seem to recall tape dresses, but I can't remember if they were CC or in game. Anyway, in TS4, you go from age nine to 30, then 30, then 30 again, then slightly older, then death. So I don't even know what couldn't be teen appropriate in this game; there are no teens. As soon as they're not children, they are free to wear whatever. I don't see them as teens.

I thought they loved their own Family tree.
Don't get me started on that topic. I really don't understand how they could not bring ithe family tree back until now. It's like "we hear family players, we just don't want to give you even the most simple part of what you want to see back!"
Lab Assistant
#2472 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:18 PM
I thought they loved their own Family tree.
Don't get me started on that topic. I really don't understand how they could not bring ithe family tree back until now. It's like "we hear family players, we just don't want to give you even the most simple part of what you want to see back!"

They hear us. They really do. They just happen to know we have pens and paper at home as well as computers. After all, they're targeting Amstrad users with this game. Why wouldn't they expect pens and paper?
Scholar
#2473 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:22 PM

More accurately, it's doll->9->19->20->30->40-with-gray-hair->Grimmy Time.

Grimmy: It's Grimmy Time!
Sim: No, Grimmy! No!

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Scholar
#2475 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:34 PM
In its context it really comes across as a basic, inoffensive simile. Responding to a suggestion he had been "muzzled" because he wasn't answering many questions:

"Naa, I post when/where I please. I've started typing out a few responses here recently, but I keep getting this mental image of the forum goers as a pack of ravenous hyenas (not that I blame you for wanting answers) and me being a chunk of meat and find myself pressing the back button on the browser. Making a drive by post to answer one particular question feels like it would be counterproductive and just annoy people. Answers are coming to some of the larger questions people have been asking, but I won't ever be the one commenting before we've officially communicated it. I have made a note to answer some people's questions from here via twitter though - I keep an eye out." (archived thread)

I don't see that as an insulting comment. Hyenas eat meat because they like it, not because they hate it And the way forum posters tend to jump (pounce hur hur hur) on a dev comment while yapping loudly I also think the analogy is spot on.

Still, I have no investment in this anymore in regards to TS4. It won't become the game I was expecting because that would require fundamental changes to the game for which it is too late. So meh. Maybe TS5 will have an open world and something like CASt again. Even better would be some serious competition with this franchise from a different company.
Locked thread
Page 99 of 223