Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#9801 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
If they release Sims 4: Pets soon, they might still be able to made some Doge references whilst it's still relevant.

(Is it still?)

Yeah lets scuff on fake grass EP! you now can enjoy 'borrow a pet' in the park only because it is too expensive to do anything else!

Cheap
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#9802 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:45 AM
OK and since everyone are 'dead in their chairs'........

Concerned how childish this has really got....we now have little signs where to fish!

Oh..........Yay?............
Lab Assistant
#9803 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:01 AM
The gameplay trailer was, of course, as enjoyable as having my body raked and ran over by a lawn mower all at the same time. Good job, EA. You're making me really want to buy the game here. $60. Hard-earned. Legitimate money. An actual transaction for your product. Hello?

Fast fact of the day, Ryan was born in my own hometown of all places.

please help me

im dying here
Lab Assistant
#9804 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:02 AM
my take on the blurry/fuzziness of things is that its out of focus because its farther away in the background. i dont mind that too much, its the bloom like when theres a full moon in ts3 that bugs me. it makes me squint lol. wish they'd take that out.

Pancake Bob for President!
#9805 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:04 AM
Maybe the developers think we have some kind of mental disease. (Of course we do)
Instructor
#9806 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:10 AM
I found the inspiration for TS4's art style:
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9807 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:12 AM
It's kind of ok. I am actually more attracted to it at this stage than to play TS3. There was something about TS3 that constantly made me feel superfluous, and I think most times I fired up the game I quit after 20 minutes not having been able to make any decision whatsoever about what to do in the game, and just kind of staring at the screen as the sims went about their business - usually even zoomed right out. TS3 was really too *busy*, and every time I got some idea of some scenario I would like to make happen, the sims I wanted involved didn't have time to do it. That is the one problem of the entire town's schedule being simulated at one time. Of course in real life if you are having a wedding for example, and invite certain people, if those people were meant to be working on the day of your wedding they'd ask for a day's leave. We could have done with that in TS3.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#9808 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:49 AM
Anyone, who wants to create a "I'm-not-able-to-cancel-my-pre-order-even-though-I-already-know-this-game-will-dissapoint-me"-self-help-group. Because i really need to discuss this hard time in my life, being such a sucker for EA-stuff!
Test Subject
#9809 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
EDIT:

Those was the group that was waiting for a gameplay video to say what was really in their hearts but stated different to look like the "cool kids". This was their plans anyway. I am not surprised, but I don't blame them for wanting to buy it, just don't like fakes. *shrugs*

May I ask how you know this? I'm curious is all.
#9810 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simfanatic99
May I ask how you know this? I'm curious is all.

You didnt ask Jesus how did he knew all that stuff! Stop asking! She has the truth!!
Theorist
#9811 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fritome
my take on the blurry/fuzziness of things is that its out of focus because its farther away in the background.

You are not the first person to say that.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of any given cartoon where characters on any given horizon point turn into blurry blobs of pixels and I haven't come with any. Granted, I haven't watched every cartoon that was ever made so maybe there is. That said, even in cartoons like South Park or if one wants to dig a little deeper Beavis & Butthead, the objects that are supposed to represent distance become smaller but still have a outline. And yes, I'm referencing actual cartoons because this is the 'art-style' of TS4 as I keep being told. Even Bugs Bunny has non-blurred images in the background and that was made long before they had computers like the ones that are parked in EA's studios.

In TS4, it's almost as if the sims disappear behind a wall of fuzz to hide their identity along with any other object that happens to appear behind the invisible wall. I can't decide if it was laziness or if they believe that the great wall of fuzzy blobs will allow the game to function better. I'm inclined to think that it was sheer laziness as EA is capable of better. People can rant about TS3 all they want, but there is no question when looking at the horizon that there are buildings in Bridgeport. The buildings themselves don't turn into a pixelated mess regardless of the distance they are viewed from. The same can be said for any other world in TS3.

If it is a case of EA trying to save on RAM and computer resources, the jury is still out of whether their plan works or not. Since they didn't bother to remove bits and pieces of TS3 code for this 'new game', there is going to be lots of pointless bloat in TS4, just as there was in TS3. They kept feeding us the line that they were going to fix all the 'spaghetti code' as it has been lovingly called and they never did it. EA seems to believe they are above the law of physics. If you keep adding to the proverbial pile and never take the time to clean up, you end up with a really big pile. The 'piles' in this case would be EPs, SPs and of course any store content they can sell for ridiculous amounts of money.

I have zero reason to think that EA will literally clean up it's code for TS4 as time goes by. They'll patch, but the junk will remain intact. Can 4 gigs of RAM handle all of that? We shall see. People that are making noise about how the demo is so fast always fail to mention that they are in fact playing with a demo that is loaded with locked out features. Anybody can make such claims for a demo. The argument of comparing game to game on this level always flies out the window.
Mad Poster
#9812 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
If they release Sims 4: Pets soon, they might still be able to made some Doge references whilst it's still relevant.

(Is it still?)

The Sims 4: Very Much Pets confirmed!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

It's still barely relevent, but they're gonna throw them in tenfold anyway. Like how they handle all trends that enter the game - they're always a year or so late, and it's not funny, so I honestly don't know why they try to do them.

This it's how it works:
-Strike while the iron is hot and add in a funny joke. Short lived, but it's within the window of use.

-After a very long (very long) period of time, add in the joke if it was actually funny or memorable, so people have something to remember (like quoting Silence of the Lambs).

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9813 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:59 AM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 21st Jul 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by fritome
my take on the blurry/fuzziness of things is that its out of focus because its farther away in the background. i dont mind that too much, its the bloom like when theres a full moon in ts3 that bugs me. it makes me squint lol. wish they'd take that out.
The game that I am currently playing has that too. There it is called "Depth of Field" and is an option in the graphics section, together with "Motion Blur" as another option. So, maybe this is a "thing" at the moment, like HDR was a few years ago.
As an aside, the blur is in that case not there to save resources. In the game manual it is mentioned that one should only turn Depth of Field on if one has a good graphics card.
Mad Poster
#9814 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mondenkind
Anyone, who wants to create a "I'm-not-able-to-cancel-my-pre-order-even-though-I-already-know-this-game-will-dissapoint-me"-self-help-group. Because i really need to discuss this hard time in my life, being such a sucker for EA-stuff!

Why are you unable to cancel it? Are EA refusing to give you your money back?
Test Subject
#9815 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:42 PM
One of the things that left me scraching my head was the comments in the youtube video praising the loading screen, and when somebody complain or make a comment about it a bunch of people swarm you saying that they love the screen because improve the gameplay, because the open world was fill with lag and was empty and i was like WTF?. yes the open world was laggy and kind of lifeless but should be praising that EA took the easiest route? i like the openworld and i think EA should have learn for their mistakes in TS3 and improved it, also after watching the game gameplay is easy to tell that the game was designed to be online the fact that the transportation is on a menu with all the community lots (like a chat group?) is really telling.
Lab Assistant
#9816 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

I had that problem once too. I had preordered that PvZ game for some reason (even though I don't play shooters, haha). I paid with paypal and couldn't cancel it myself. When I called support they told me they couldn't cancel it because the order was still processing. It's still processing now, even though I've long since paid (and never downloaded or played) the game. Seems to be an Origin problem. I'll never pay with PayPal again, because I've been able to cancel my TS4 preorder twice now that I'm paying with a credit card.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9817 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:05 PM
Is there any benefit to pre-ordering?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#9818 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:09 PM
After watching the gameplay demo:

-Liked the minimal apporach to the UI as you can see more of the sims and their world, but the exploration of it is lacking aside from the mood indicator on the lower left corner.
-I think the burriness is just to obscure the change of LOD's of objects and sims at a farther distance. Even so, the overall visuals IMO wasn't as pleasing as I hope it would be. Sure they said the software they've been using is in Beta, I just hope they can still refine some more of the textures, perhaps in a patch.
-I wonder if the active houshold have to pick from the pop-up menu to visit the neighbors next door.
-Implementation of Bros (ehh), is one-sided. I'd really appreciate it if there was a feminine counterpart of the trait that can be applied on male Sims.
-Interior lighting at the gym seems dim.
-No group aerobics/zumba class aww
-The ploppability of shared content is nice.
-House is kinda big or out of scale.
-SimGurus could've played the party scene longer because I'm curious what happens if the party turned out to be success.
-The cupcake machine is meh.
-The fire and the death from laughter seems scripted.
-The banter of the SimGurus seem contrived.

but of all the things I've noticed, this is where they really delivered,
-Sims can be less robotic with smoother animation transitions and of course, emotions.

Still, I still hold my position not to play nor buy it come release date.

Somewhere, some sim has found out that there is a shining green diamond hovering above...
Forum Resident
#9819 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Mondenkind : 21st Jul 2014 at 1:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

No, it's me being childish. Everytime I look at the order, I start to think : "The game costs less than two driving lessons. You hate driving lessons, because you suck at driving. You will surely not suck at that easy game. Actually, you could create your driving teacher, who surely has the "bro"-trait, and make him die from that stupid laughter, that he always laughs, while you are trying to park the car!"
Lab Assistant
#9820 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Is there any benefit to pre-ordering?

Not in this particular case (TS4), I don't think so.
Theorist
#9821 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
The game that I am currently playing has that too. There it is called "Depth of Field" and is an option in the graphics section, together with "Motion Blur" as another option. So, maybe this is a "thing" at the moment, like HDR was a few years ago.

Yes, there is depth of field and blur motion in real photography. I'm not going to start making comparisons to cartoon pixel people to photography as there is no comparison. If EA wants to dabble in that, the game better not look like something likened to Katy Perry Sweet Treat Land.
Theorist
#9822 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:25 PM
Speaking of ordering, has anybody sought a answer to the question of whether a refund will be given if one cannot register their game with Origin because Origin has a massive brain fart from too many people being on their at once?

I ask because some people were talking about ordering, but using the game as a 'demo' then getting their money back within the 24 hour money-back guarantee.
Lab Assistant
#9823 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:26 PM
Its so cheap... so cheap... Its sad, hopeless, I wonder if sims 4, is going to close its cycle of expansions and stuff packs. Yes the base game it will sell. But who EA thinks is buying all these expansions, not the 12 years old, but the simmers who try to build their game. Best case scenario here is that it have 2 or 3 expansions, and then it will stop.
Forum Resident
#9824 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:29 PM Last edited by Mondenkind : 21st Jul 2014 at 1:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Speaking of ordering, has anybody sought a answer to the question of whether a refund will be given if one cannot register their game with Origin because Origin has a massive brain fart from too many people being on their at once?

I ask because some people were talking about ordering, but using the game as a 'demo' then getting their money back within the 24 hour money-back guarantee.

I don't think, that they will refund you for not being able to register/install the game. However, you can still get your money back if you pre-ordered it on origin, because you can simply say, that you didn't like the game within this 24 h.

Edit: Nevermind. my answer clearly lacks logic. If you pre-ordered it on origin, you don't have to register it. It is only a possibility, that origin crashes and you can't download it. Don't know, what will be happening then.
Mad Poster
#9825 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:01 PM
I wasn't paying very close attention to the gameplay video - at the end I saw the Graham sim lying in what looked like a pool of sim urine. It seemed like such a dark, quirky, whimsical touch of realism - acknowledging that when we die we piss ourselves sometimes. I backed it up to watch again, but was disappointed to see it was only they made Kim wet himself. zzzzzzz
Feeling peaceful now that I've abandoned all hope, stopped believing that I'll see something amazing and truly reached acceptance. Still want to hang around here for the lulz, but will try not to be a downer.
Locked thread
Page 393 of 920