Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

Lab Assistant
#76 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 6:02 PM
I've always said it like the verb, because that's what's happening when you play that mode. Your sims live.

To me, "live" with a long 'i' has one use and one use only: To describe events that aren't pre-recorded. Live television, live concerts, etc.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 6:41 PM
It also has another use, to mean "alive". A live turtle, as opposed to a dead one.
Scholar
#78 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 6:46 PM
I think it's live (rhyming with give), because you have the choice of buying, building or living. It can't be live (rhyming with alive), because it's not a live broadcast.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:22 PM
Graham has spoken. Well, it's still his opinion and it will not change my way of saying live (as in alive) because it sounds pretty. The other way is too gritty for me.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:00 PM Last edited by Chicken0895 : 21st Jul 2014 at 10:19 PM.
Live (as in rhymes with give) sounds weird to me. I've always thought it was live (as in alive).

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Mad Poster
#81 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:37 PM
You buy in Buy mode, build in Build mode, and live in Live mode. I thought that was obvious...
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:11 PM
...i dont know. i dont care. i just like clicking buttons.

no, i put that, but honestly i think "live" with the long i makes more sense.
Test Subject
#83 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:03 AM
Default Changing my mind
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
I has to be as in rhyming with "give".
My reasoning for this is that "build" and "buy" are both "doing" words; they allow you to build and buy respectively.
Therefore, Live mode allows you to live.

I never thought of it this way, but you make a great point. I always thought it was Live like alive, but now I'm starting to think maybe it's Live that rhymes with give. Hmm...
Test Subject
#84 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:17 AM
I always considered it live mode (as in alive) because not only is it easier to explain; using the logic that it is live (as in give) mode, it means your Sims cease to live when building and buying, however, they are just paused and you can't pause life but you can pause something that's live (as in alive).... I hope that makes sense O.o

EDIT: Regardless of what is "correct" I will still call it live (as in alive) mode
Mad Poster
#85 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:29 AM
OK now, I wonder... @HystericalParoxysm called this a "a great debate" that has been "raging around" the community... yet this thread is the first I've heard of it. HP, are you just poking us lowly members with a stick and hoping for an entertaining response? If so, I salute you and your evil, Machiaveillian ways!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:41 AM
I've been playing for 10 years and been saying "Live" (rhymes with give) the entire time, so that's what I'm sticking to lol :P
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:44 AM
Living mode. Live as in give is the correct answer. God told me so.
Instructor
#88 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:14 AM
Meh, my game isn't even in English so I couldn't care less. People translated it to "simulation mode" in my version of the game(Portuguese/Brazil), and it makes more sense. Why do they even bother calling it "Live Mode"? I never knew people could live without being toddlers at some point of their lives.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by queziacristina
Meh, my game isn't even in English so I couldn't care less. People translated it to "simulation mode" in my version of the game(Portuguese/Brazil), and it makes more sense. Why do they even bother calling it "Live Mode"? I never knew people could live without being toddlers at some point of their lives.

Oh look, it's this comment. Again.

OT: Totally live as in give. Turn away from your sins, MTS community!
Mad Poster
#90 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:22 AM
Who cares? If ya wanna call it 'live' (as it give) then good on you. Why fight over something that stupid?
Instructor
#91 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:50 AM
I was surprised when I heard Ryan saying "live mode" as in living as well. It has always been a-live mode for me.

When I think of a mode status then "Live mode" (a-live) makes more sense because otherwise you would have to call it "Living mode". Right?....

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Test Subject
#92 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:01 AM
Buttons! *el clicko*

On topic though, never gave it much thought. My sims never stayed alive long enough for it to become an issue! :D
Test Subject
#93 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 7:17 AM
Live in alive, because it's live like a performance. c:
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#94 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 7:51 AM
Graham's definitely outvoted here - why won't EA just give in and admit they were wrong all along?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Undead Molten Llama
#95 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 7:53 AM Last edited by iCad : 22nd Jul 2014 at 8:12 AM.
Buttons! Clicky buttons! *shiny eyes*

Frankly, I don't really care, either way, but I've always called it "live as in a-live" because that's what your game is when it's in that mode. In the other two, it's paused and static and not...alive.

Also, in this case the words "buy" and "build" are being used as adjectives to describe the noun "mode." So, they are verbs that aren't being used as verbs. So, Graham's "verb, verb, verb" logic is...not. Although now that I've said that, I have no idea what shows if you hover over the buttons on the UI. Does it say, for instance, "Buy Mode" or does it just say, "Buy?" If it's the former and it's officially called Buy (or Build) Mode, then, yes, it would make more grammatical sense that Live Mode would be pronounced in the adjectival way rather than the verb way.

ETA, because I had to know :

Dum dum dum duuuuuuuuuuum.... Of course, that's TS2; they might have changed the hover text for TS3. And no, I'm not going to go look.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Instructor
#96 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 9:31 AM
I voted on live, as in alive. Thank goodness they didn't use live, as in 'leave.' To tell you the truth, I couldn't watch any more than the first minute of the video (if that). Hey EA guys, you weren't cute and you aren't trendy.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 10:18 AM
I say live as in 'alive', but that's just because it sounds more normal to me. Live (rhyming with 'give') mode just... I don't know, it just feels... wrong
Test Subject
#98 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:50 AM
Okay, I'll spell opt. 1 live and opt. 2 LIVE for clarification. In build mode, you will (hopefully) BUILD. You are building! In buy mode you will BUY. You are buying! Can you live? (live as in opt. 1) No! You can only LIVE! (Or kill off your sims) but you can't do it any other way. The mode is made for LIVEING, because you can't live. Say it aloud, I dare you, "I can live. I am liveing." Now say it the proper way, "I can LIVE. I am LIVEING." Who came up with that? Pfft, live mode? I think it's more logical for it to be LIVE mode because it's LIVING the life of your sims etc.. However, live makes sense in the context that you aren't inanimate, but have you ever heard of pause? Something you do in LIVE/live mode? Yeah, you CAN be frozen within the moving/living mode.
EDIT: I meant to mention that alive, though pronounced the same as live, means LIVE, so if you take the "a" off you have to pronounce it my way.
Test Subject
#99 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:38 PM
Another one of those tomayto/tomahto-potayto/potahto... gif/jif... almost

Fine, for the sake of grammatical correctness, I'll go with \ˈlīv\ mode but will pronounce it as \ˈliv\ privately, no one can stop me *exercises right to be incorrect sometimes*

I think pronunciation only matters if you're gonna mention it orally, like in videos, and one can be reasonably excused if English is not their native language. In fact, where I live, the common pronounciation for (a)live is a-layb, and if mentioned consecutively at least twice, it colloquially refers to charismatic religious organizations.

Somewhere, some sim has found out that there is a shining green diamond hovering above...
Test Subject
#100 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 3:25 PM
I like how the vast majority have voted for aLIVE mode, even though apparently it's officially live (give) -at least according to the simguru tweet

I always felt it was live/alive mode because game is not active/happening when in build, buy, edit town and cas . And like 'cameras are live' from tv shows and movies.

Myshuno!!!

Awesome word: Risorial (rye-sor'-ee-al) adj. pertaining to laughter; causing laughter; risible (rizz'-ibb-ul).
Page 4 of 9