Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The other one
#351 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamineannie
@LifeslLover - great Victorian! Love the exterior and interior. Only one thing bothered me - the stone on the exterior. I've never seen a stone Victorian before. Maybe I just need to get away from my PC more!

Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Thank you so much for the critique and the compliments. I never even once gave a thought at all to the stone exterior. I just thought it looked nice. I'll see what I can do to find a suitable replacement. Thanks!

Ever been to the UK? I'm by no means an expert in period architecture and design so couldn't tell you the likelihood of a house having traits of both American and British Victorian architecture but from a year and a half living in central London I can tell you that you'd be very hard pressed to find any kind of permanent wooden structure from the Victorian era there (assuming that you were infering the house should be made of wood), most victorian buildings in the UK are made of various different types of stone or brick depending on which part of the country it was built.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#352 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 5:32 PM
I agree - must need better weather resistance or something lol, I'm about 100 miles from London - anything from that era is brick built here - mainly red brick.
The other one
#353 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 5:51 PM Last edited by missroxor : 25th Jul 2010 at 6:04 PM.
I've also seen a lot of a kind of black/grey brick and it seems to be quite common in London for the first level to be made of some kind of stone in large slabs (not sure which kind because it's usually painted white) with the upper floors in brick. Most victorian business type buildings, like almost all of Whitehall (the bit between Big Ben and Trafalgar Square, where Downing St is) are definitely stone rather than brick, though, as Sandy says, residential tenements outside of London are usually red brick I think.

Edit: As I said, I'm not really up on my architecture, I often can't tell the difference between British Victorian and British Georgian (really, they are so bloody similar) but I know they both come in brick and stone here

Test Subject
#354 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:02 PM Last edited by Gail.wyness : 26th Jul 2010 at 6:45 PM. Reason: spelling mistake-who lives in a fat!
Stella South coal fired Power Station was decommissioned in 1991 when replaced with the more efficient Drax power station. The lot stood an empty abandoned eyesore until 2007 when local property developer Seth Elkhart saved the building from demolition, after spotting the potential the covert the build into three luxury apartments to add to his rental portfolio.

Street View

Each flat comprises of 1 double bedroom, fitted bathroom, lounge, fitted kitchen with breakfast bar and a private balcony and are let as fully serviced and unfurnished. One parking space has been allocated per flat is located to the front of the building.

Floor plans

To the rear is an enclosed communal garden with BBQ, which is ideal for summer parties. A communal laundry room is located the the rear of the lobby.

Garden

All three flats are current let, the ground floor is home to a Junior doctor, who dreams of moving to a county medical practice and purchasing a small holding.

Living Room

Bedroom

Kitchen

Bathroom

On the top floor resides a local artist who's flat is filled with some of his unsold work.

Living room

The tenant of the middle floor never appears to be home and is only seen on occasion leaving the building in the middle of the night.

No CC or store item were used to make to lot. The entrance sign and artwork in the flats are photos taken in game by my house testing Sim Mr Ivor Roamin.

Furnished $149,192
Unfurnished $105.074
Test Subject
#355 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:26 PM
Default Entry 2 :D
Level 1

Level 2

Street view

Dining area

Living area (with extra pic)

Bathroom

Kitchen

Random!

.....4 days man, 4 days.

Forum Resident
#356 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Ever been to the UK? I'm by no means an expert in period architecture and design so couldn't tell you the likelihood of a house having traits of both American and British Victorian architecture but from a year and a half living in central London I can tell you that you'd be very hard pressed to find any kind of permanent wooden structure from the Victorian era there (assuming that you were infering the house should be made of wood), most victorian buildings in the UK are made of various different types of stone or brick depending on which part of the country it was built.

No, I've never been outside of the US. I don't believe I've ever seen a Victorian house, either. I did try to do some research but I never gave a thought to the exterior being brick, stone or wood.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Test Subject
#357 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:11 PM
Ok, so with the suggestion Llihnae I added friezes to my house and it is located here with new pictures as well.
Lab Assistant
#358 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:32 PM
do friezes count as foundation?
Lab Assistant
#359 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:32 PM
An ex power station huh? Wow. Very creative! I would never thought of that. Beautiful too, especially the garden shot.

How did you get that chimney top thingy?

Saku Baka, cool house, but I think you got the orientation backward?
The other one
#360 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
No, I've never been outside of the US. I don't believe I've ever seen a Victorian house, either. I did try to do some research but I never gave a thought to the exterior being brick, stone or wood.

lol, well I know less about US Victorian architecture than I do about British except every pic I've ever seen of an American one they've always been wooden...but like I said, the fact that it's not wooden doesn't mean it's not victorian. Personally I like it the way it is but if you're hung up on it being authentic or you're worried the judges will be just do a google image search for victorian houses :D

Test Subject
#361 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:47 PM
BGatot - Thank you, the chimney tops are taken from the top of the fireplace chimney using "move objects" which breaks them into pieces and the extra bits can be deleted.
Test Subject
#362 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:19 PM
@dietdrpepperfan: great, that's seems much better, but (yes I'm picky but blame it on MTS for making a very picky dowloader) your street view is way too far.
The other one
#363 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:24 PM Last edited by missroxor : 29th Jul 2010 at 8:45 AM.
The Clinic

In the summer of 1976 in the small, sleepy town of Twinbrook lived a jovial young man named Sidney Reeves. In this town Sidney wasn’t just any man, he was Dr Sid, and he was much loved by all one hundred and twelve of his patients. Dr Sid was the senior doctor in the town’s only clinic where he worked alongside his protégé Dr Alvin Forks.

One hot, sticky evening that summer Dr Sid had gone back to the clinic to fetch the reading glasses he’d left behind when he heard muffled grunts coming from Alvin’s office. He cautiously approached the door and peered through the frosted glass window. He saw the blurry outline of what he thought was a struggle between two people, ‘someone’s attacking Alvin’, he thought alarmed. Without further hesitation he flung the door wide open and launched himself at the two writhing bodies ripping them apart. Stumbling backwards he gasped, “...No! This can’t be!?” Dr Sid grasped his temples and breathed hard as the truth of the matter slowly sunk in. Alvin. His protégé and best friend... was fornicating with Anna, his beautiful and sweet young wife. Suddenly he felt hot with hurt and anger. He could hear muffled voices in the distance; probably Alvin and Anna trying hard to explain why it looked like it did without actually admitting the truth. Sidney could barely hear them over the sound of his blood pulsating through his body. He looked at his friend whose thick bushy eyebrows tensed together with worry or maybe guilt and then at his wife, once so wholesome and angelic, now an adulterous whore and he could feel the rage inside him peak...

Nobody ever saw or heard from Alvin and Anna again, it was assumed that they’d eloped. The town rallied round, giving their support to Dr Sid but he was unresponsive at best, downright mean at worst. That night had changed him, broken him. As the months, then years passed people stopped trying, stopped visiting. A new doctor’s practice was opened on the other side of town. Dr Sid became a complete recluse hiding away in the clinic which he refused to leave ever since that fateful night.

Thirty-four years later ...

It’s been a long time since Sid practiced medicine on humans...live ones at least. Over the years Sid’s love for science and healing mutated into a twisted obsession with raising the dead. He cared about little else, barely looking after himself enough to survive. People avoid him on the street on those rare occasions he ventures out for supplies. They say he’s creepy, crazy even. On dark evenings neighbourhood kids dare each other to go to the old clinic and see how close their fear will allow them to get. One boy claims to have gotten inside the garden where he swears he saw three monsters in cages that snarled and howled at him. These outlandish claims have not yet been confirmed...

Street ViewOnce a pretty little family clinic with a pond and raised planters has been allowed to decay into a rundown shack with a murky swamp in an overgrown and weed filled garden. A while ago Sid converted the planters into cages to store his creations in, he liked the fact that they would have to learn to swim if they wanted to escape. It doesn't matter that they're out front, nobody comes to this part of town anymore.

Floor Plans
This 'house' contains:
Living room (sitting room/reception)
Bedroom (Dr Forks' Office)
Shower room
Kitchen/Operating room (Pharmacy/Operating room)
Greenhouse (New Build)
Office (Doctor's Office)
WC (Patient's Toilet)
Outside: Gazebo, 3 livestock cages and 5 parking spaces.
Living RoomWhat was once the clinic's waiting room and reception is now....well, pretty much still the same. Dr. Sid, being a man of substantial intelligence, felt he had no need for a television which in his opinion is the second most effective cause of brain deterioration in modern society, second only to listening to boy bands. In 1982 he relented and bought a second hand television once he'd discovered by accident one day that he'd been so out of touch with the outside world he'd completely missed the fact that his idol, the king, had died five years previously. In 2001 Sid was waiting for a documentary on the serious health ramifications of using pesticides to start when he found himself idly watching the programme that he was waiting to end. Before he knew it Sid was irrevocably addicted to Big Brother. The next day he went out and purchased a second hand arm chair for comfort and in only 24 short years he had bought himself the very basics of a living room.
Kitchen This was once the clinics operating room with a small pharmacy at the back. When Sid moved in he replaced the pharmacy with a small but adequate kitchen. He also created storage space for his potions/drugs which he makes from the various plants in his greenhouse. Sid still carries out operations and experiments in this room.

Bedroom When Sid moved into the clinic he decided he couldn't live with the constant reminder of having Alvin's office around exactly as it was that night so he threw out Alvins furniture and medical equipement and created a bedroom for himself.

Bonus#1 - The Doctor's Office Sid kept his own Doctor's office almost exactly as it was right down to the examination chair since he always found it a good place to relax and think through his problems. The only additions he made were a couple of pin boards for brainstorming and a work bench for small experiments.

Bonus#2 - Backyard/Greenhouse/Car Park For the most part, the surrounds have been allowed to fall into ruins, a place for Sid to discard his failed experiments and materials which no longer have a use. In '85 Sid cleared a small section of the garden and built a greenhouse extension so he could grow plants and herbs for his potions.
Bonus#3 - Gazebo There is one small corner of the garden where the grass is lush and flowers bloom. If anyone cared to look they would know that Dr Sid visits the gazebo religiously every day. He sits on the bench and talks to the pot of flowers that sit atop a mysterious mound of packed earth. Passers-by assume he's crazy but Sid doesn't care. He had built the gazebo with Anna when they first bought the clinic and he had watched lovingly as she planted her favourite flowers all around it. He feels closest to his wife here and talks to her openly with passion in his voice, begging forgiveness and mourning his loss. "One day my love", he says solemnly,..."one day we will be together again".

No CC was used to make this house (the coffee table in the living room is two single tile tables pushed together).
Special effects such as rain, fog and heavy cloud were created using the fog emitter.

Forum Resident
#364 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:34 PM
OooOOo Missroxor that is so clever ..... The story was worth reading!!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#365 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:35 PM
missroxor: Would it be possible to create Dr. Sid so that I can download it after the contest? Your house is perfect and I really want it and the doctor driven to madness in my game!
Mad Poster
#366 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:57 PM
Saku-baka, I hate to say this but your lot is backwards. The three seperate foundation pieces have to be at the front of your lot, not the back. And it looks such a great property, even if I do feel a little motion sick from your angled images.

Also, Gail.wyness, you appear to have missed off some wall covering from part of the right hand chimney in your first picture.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
#367 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
lol, well I know less about US Victorian architecture than I do about British except every pic I've ever seen of an American one they've always been wooden...but like I said, the fact that it's not wooden doesn't mean it's not victorian. Personally I like it the way it is but if you're hung up on it being authentic or you're worried the judges will be just do a google image search for victorian houses :D

Well, the only reason I'm worried is because of the judges. If they don't think it's authentic, then I may lose points. At the same time, however, I really like the stone exterior look. I'm going to look and see if there's something better, but if not, I won't be too worried.

Forum Resident
#368 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:58 PM
Lifes Lover .... Just do what YOU feel is right.

My theory is we are not making copies but are INSPIRED by these things lol.

I don't know but thats my 5cents worth haha
The other one
#369 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:06 AM
Kaylarox and Kaospilot, thanks for the great feedback, I've struggled to get this to a point where I'm reasonably happy with it so positive feedback is a very pleasant surprise

I still haven't finished the living room and back garden to a standard I'm happy with but if I do I probably will upload the lot when the contest is over. As for Dr Sid, well, I've created a quick version of him just for taking pics (though I haven't actually used him for any yet) but he's not particularly good since sims aren't really my strong point.

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#370 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:13 AM
Lifeslover: Victorian does not have a particular style per se. There are the Queen Anne style, Princess Anne style, Gothic Revival, Mansard, etc, etc. Victorian is more of a period and often, builders 'borrowed' from different styles to create a unique, and usually quirky, home. So, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Just a quick note: Richardsonian Romanesque Architecture (which is a style of Victorian): Constructed of stone, they resemble small castles. Romanesque was used more often for large public buildings, but some private homes were also built in the imposing Romanesque style.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Forum Resident
#371 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna just keep it as is, though I still want to do a little bit more work with the garden in the backyard. And I'm gonna try and get better pics. The camera mode when I use tab makes me literally sick, so I usually just take pictures with the console hidden by F10. Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest angles to work with. Curse me for making small, long rooms.

Forum Resident
#372 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:23 AM
Yeah, I need to build my photography portfolio too. Hahahaha!
Test Subject
#373 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:58 AM
Cascade Jade~
Once, this old house stood in the middle of the forest, right over the source of a bubbly, crystal-clear spring. Years have passed, renovations have come and gone, and a whole town has sprung up around it. No longer a cabin set deep in the woods, Cascade Jade is now the center of all the townspeople's attention. Modern yet ancient, the house's unique style brings together thousands of years into one small 30x30 lot. Colorful yet classic, the interior blends soft wood tones with dramatic greens and blues to create stunning, almost overwhelmingly invigorating, yet somehow at the same time calming effect. Through all these years, the little crystal spring has endured, and is now intertwined with the archaic house. Water, pumped up from deep underground, pours gracefully out from under the Japanese-styled roof and into a sparkling brook that wraps itself around the large house. In addition to the waterfalls, take note of the water pouring through the glass pillars as well. Cascade Jade includes two bedrooms and three bathrooms.

At night, the lights come on, transforming the beautiful house into a lightshow of splashing green and blue water. Perfect for evening get-togethers and parties, the porch, lit by calming cool blue light, is the perfect place to chill.

During the day, sims may enjoy themselves by relaxing in the calm, well-lit living area, complete with fireplace, two sofas, and a tv unit (not CC! creative use of bookshelves ;D)
In the evening, sims who prefer something other that pizza or ice cream for dinner can take advantage of the spacious kitchen, or enjoy their ice cream or bread and jam at the beautiful hard-wood dining table surrounded by shelves of only the finest nectar.
At night, sims will find themselves in lavishly decorated bedrooms, decorated with expensive vases and plants, and both with full bathrooms attached to them.
Blending peace, joy, and excitement, this ancient (yet somehow very new) house could inspire even an art-hating sim to break out the paints and brushes, to capture some of its beauty for himself.
-There is no custom content, yet items from both the expansion packs and a few store items have been used.
Bottom floor:

Top floor:
enjoy!
-kwuz
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#374 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:00 AM Last edited by porkypine : 29th Jul 2010 at 4:02 AM.
Default The Sculptor's Abode
The Sculptor's Abode
Ildefanso Chissler, the visionary artist, learned his trade by studying the works of the world's master sculptors. He has traveled the world and brought back rare antiques which are his muses. His home is more like a museum than a home. He may be upstairs when the urge to sculpt presents itself. Rather than use stairs which would only slow him down, he has installed fireman poles so he can descend immediately and get working on that latest inspiration.
The home is an eclectic mix of surburban and modernism. Large windows allow light into all the rooms. This is the front of the home. It doesn't seem very large from the outside but the interior is spacious, inviting and full of treasures.

A small portion of the living room:

The kitchen:

and the bedroom:

This is a cutaway of the first floor viewed from the back of the house.

The artist, while seemingly brusque, is actually very playful and artistic. He sculpts fish out of water, then adds sculpted fish into the water. There are a trio of statues in the front of his home entitled, 'Hope" - a chubby guy flexing his muscles, another offering a toast to a fair damsel with long flowing locks who ignores them both. Then there is 'The Match'.

The artist at work:

Let me tell you! Trying to write this presentation on TwinBrook's preeminent sculptor has been one heck of a job! I did not know that World Class sculptor's had gnomes throwing monkey wrenches into the works! While we were doing the photoshoot, the statues would disappear and we'd get a notice that the repo man had come! Then we'd have to waste time and go get the artwork out of hock and place it back in it's correct location. We'd catch the little rascals and evict them from the premises, turn around and there was another one! ... or, maybe it was the same one coming back again.. Darned GNOMES! Anyway, we hope you enjoyed this presentation of the artist and his works.

First Floor:

Second Floor:

Roof:

This lot uses items from all EP's, however there is absolutely NO CC or Store Content. There are many items from BuyDebug all over the lot.
Field Researcher
#375 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 4:13 AM
@Missroxor - love your entry! And you are of course correct on the whole Victorian argument, as the British actually INVENTED it! Sorry, my only experience with Great Britain was a fly-through at Heathrow, where I was so intimidated by the vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road (lol) that I missed any architecture on view!
@Lifeslover - I never meant for you to doubt your entry! Just because I had never seen a stone exterior (grew up in St. Louis, warm and humid, lots of wood, and now live in Florida, haven't seen a Victorian here yet!) does not mean that they don't exist. Your home is beautiful and you should not feel it necessary to change it! Missroxor knows her English architecture (mostly brick, most of the time!. When it isn't stone.) After all, most of their architecture has lasted longer than anything we have here and Victoria was Queen of Great Britain!

Page 15 of 20