View Single Post in: Building Blocks: A Foundation Challenge

Test Subject
#50 Old 16th Jul 2012 at 11:48 PM
So Reya twisted my arm and made me take part. This is what I've come up with. It's in a lot located along the bank of the river in Appaloosa Plains. The house itself is more modern in style, with large windows to take full advantage of the views.

Here's the Front:

And the Back:

The Bottom Floor features the entryway, kitchen, living room, dining room, and lower bathroom. There's a small table under the umbrella on the front patio as well as a carport covered in plants and trellis.

The Top Floor has a library and reading area, the bedroom (there is only one in the house), the upstairs bath, and a balcony that looks over towards the mountains and the river at the back of the house.

I've provided screenshots of each room as well since I like looking at detail close up. Here is the entryway as seen from the kitchen. The floorplan of the house is meant to be more open to allow for the best views throughout the house.

I always imagined Appaloosa Plains to be a bit hot, so I went with a cooler color scheme to offset the bright colors and what I presume to be hot temperatures. Here is the kitchen. Behind the range and counters is a wall of light gray brick/stone as an accent feature and to stop splattering from pots and pans. Sorry the lights aren't on. I'm still working out good photography skills. :D

The kitchen and Entryway connect to the living room via open archways. Here's the living room, in similarly cool tones. The door goes into the downstairs bathroom. Once again, patterns are kept to a minimum so as not to crowd out the outside views, which are the focal point of the house.

The best views can be seen from the dining room, which is separated from the living room by small walls and pillars, leaving the rest open. The table is light wood and glass to allow for minimal distractions.

The downstairs bathroom is only a half bath. Because of the size, I used some warmer woods in here to give it a cozy feel rather than a stark claustrophobic look.

At the top of the stairs (carpeted to match the upstairs flooring) is the library and reading area. There is a computer desk and six bookcases (some are behind the viewer for this picture). Since the views tend to be less impressive on the front of the house, there is a little more detail with patterns and pictures in this room, but I continued with the theme of cooler colors.

The blues in the rooms go well with the orangey hills, since they are complimentary colors, but towards the other side of the house there were more yellows and greens, and less pretty views, so I started adding a little bit of color in the bedroom. I chose a purple, because I like purple, and because it goes well in contrast to the yellow-er views without clashing with the blues and grays. Because the views continue to be bright, however, I used a muted purple for all but the bedding to keep the atmosphere calm.

The upstairs bathroom is the same size as the downstairs, but includes a shower/bath. I carried the blues in from the other rooms to give it some color.

Leading from the bedroom to the back of the house is the patio/balcony which has awesome views of the Appaloosa Plains' mountain range across the river. I kept the blue again, but also added the green of the plant and the light wood of the table to integrate it better with the outside of the house.

And last but not least, at the front of the house there is the carport, which is mostly open and green, with a little gravel so the car doesn't crush the grass. The lot is built off a dirt road, so I kept with that theme for the rest of the car tracks. The flowers in the landscaping are either yellows or pinks to keep in the theme of the red mountains of Appaloosa Plains, but most of the plants in the garden are just greenery and bushes.

I used almost entirely game stuff, and nothing from the store. The only CC I used is the bathmat in the upstairs bath and the rugs under the dining room table and the bed, which were all created by me to have a bit more realistic pile. Everything else is from the game and most is recolored in CAS as I went along.

Hope you like it! And I hope that wasn't too many pictures. >.<

-Fukothepixie