View Single Post in: Sunset Valley Home Makeover Contest

Lab Assistant
#443 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 2:15 PM
This is my final entry in this competition. Thank you very much Blake, for hosting. I've had a lot of fun, and you managed to finally get me to interact with the community instead of always being a ghost. Thank you also to the judges for your time and critique. Thank you to each of the other participants, whether judged or not. I've really enjoyed seeing how so many people interperet the tasks, and have picked up at least one great idea from each of you every round.

BUDGET: $161,091

After eight years together in the big city, John and Dirk decided it was time to move somewhere their precious daughter could grow up with more freedom. When Dirk was offered a job playing for the Sunset Valley Llamas, the pair recognized their opportunity and grabbed it.
Unfortunately, nothing in Sunset Valley really met their exacting standards. They found a large home with good bones and a spectacular view of the harbor, and seeing the potential put an offer in. Then they proceeded to sink a lot of money into turning the traditional monstrosity into a sophisticated modern home. The use of reclaimed wood and high-energy-efficiency design gives both men a real sense of pride now. "That roof has to go" declared John as he and Dirk surveyed their new home. "Agreed," said Dirk, shifting Kelly on his hip. "I think if we just lower the pitch of the roof, we can limit demolition to the mansard area," added Dirk. "Sounds good to me," said John, and he called their general contractor immediately. There turned out to be some necessary demolition on the large fireplace surround as well, though they saved most of the structure. Using the walls around the fireplace, they then extended the upper viewing platform to turn it into a fantastic entertaining space. These changes wrought a dramatic improvement in the home's profile, and neighbors can hardly believe it was once the very staid Wagner's Repose.

1. Front Elevation