View Single Post in: Polgannon - A Complete Story Neighbourhood Whodunnit?

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 11:59 PM
Polgannon Population Statistics

Just a few short words and some nice tables to say a little bit about how I designed the population of Polgannon. Although I was writing a story first and foremost, I did also want to present something that was as rich and varied as possible while also being believable and balanced. I wanted to do this to try and enhance playability. So I paid attention to age, gender and aspiration and also made sure there was someone working in every possible career. My aim was to try and make sure that as you play Polgannon, you experience as much of the different types of gameplay as possible.

Below are a couple of tables showing how this was done. One is an age table, showing the different age groups and the balance of female to male. Another is the aspiration matrix showing the primary/secondary aspiration combinations. The third is the careers pursued by different members of the population. What is not shown is also that there is at least one sim holding each of the LTW’s except the silly ones (50 first dates, 50 dream dates, 200 Grilled Cheese and the Pet ones – I just can’t those seriously in a story hood). I also tried to maintain throughout the spirit of being in Cornwall by my choice of names for characters and places.

You might notice some names on these lists which are not in the lists above as sims in Polgannon. And that is because, at present they aren’t resident in Polgannon. I made three extra families which I offer to players as an optional extra. I made these three families because there are three empty lots in Polgannon. You may want to fill these lots with your own sims but just in case you don’t there are three families here you can have who are designed to live in those houses. Details below.

Range of age and gender in Polgannon

Aspiration Matrix for Polgannon

Careers in Polgannon

Three extra families
There are three extra families, the Grenvilles, the Edgcumbes and the Kestles. These families are offered simply as an optional extra. THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY IN ANY WAY to the playability of Polgannon nor are they involved in the story. You are going to have to imagine they were away the day Blaise was killed.

The families are on 1x1 lots and are available as a Sims2Pack download. As MTS does not allow this type of download, the files are not on this site but on Sims File Share. You will have to follow the links to get them. They were made in an otherwise empty AGS game (one for each family) and they use no custom content. The files contain only the lot, family details and the sim files. Nothing else. In case you are worried about importing a family on a lot file like this, here’s a picture of the characters folder for one of the families from the game. As can be seen there are no other sims in the neighbourhood before they were packed.

Finally, here are the families

All you have to do with these is download the file from the link, extract the Sims2Pack file and install it in the normal way.

The families come on a 1x1 lot. You will need to place this lot in your neighbourhood and then visit the family briefly. Save the lot and return to the neighbourhood.

At that point you will be able to move the family to the SIM BIN via the 'move family' option (NB DON'T PUT THE WHOLE LOT IN THE LOT BIN - look under the family tab for the tool)

Each family has enough money to buy it's appropriate home.

Unfortunately, there is a slight caveat with the families in that if you have a game in a language other than English, on import your game will probably convert the names to something else. The fix that works for neighbourhoods doesn't work here so you will have to rename them yourself. I would suggest SimBlender as an easy and quick way to rename in game. I've listed the names below.

The Grenvilles
Tristan is an up and coming architect with grand designs on local public building projects. He’d like to see the local area dotted with futuristic designs. He is married to Jenifer who is a very ambitious businesswoman with high standards in everything. She is determined to be a success. They have two children Pedar, who feels slightly at odds with his family but might just be going through a difficult stage, and Marya who is still at school and wants a pony

The Grenvilles are designed for the lot at 1, Tintagel Close, the converted barn behind the Vicarage. Their file is here
Family members are: Tristan (father); Jenifer (mother); Pedar (teen son) and Marya (child daughter)

The Edgcumbes
Elowen takes after her clever nature-orientated mother. She was happily married with a daughter, Ygerna, until her husband was killed in an odd parlour-game related incident last year. Finding herself with a dependant and still at the beginning of her career, she struggled financially and with juggling family and work commitments. She has moved back in with her mother who has offered to help her out

The Edgcumbes are desgned for no. 2 Chuch Lane (the half timbered cottage). Their file is here
Family members are: Ailla (grandmother); Elowen (mother); Ygerna (child daughter). The cat is Merlin

The Kestles
Colan Kestle has firm opinions about serving his country and honour. He’s been in the military all his adult life and has moved through the lower ranks into a training job. He married a pretty young woman who has ambitions to be on TV though she has her hands full at the moment with responsibility for two lively sons of school age. They are twins and though they look alike are very different personalities

The Kestles are designed for the middle cottage of Back Lane Cottages (behind the Green). Their file is here
Family members are: Colan (father); Nonna (mother); Padern and Kevern (the twin boys, the one with glasses is Kevern). The dog is called Molly.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc