Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 2:41 AM
Default Swearing Issues
Okay, so today, I was listening to my brother talk about stuff he had heard his friends say. It was pretty disappointing, and I was worried about him, because has reached a troubled age. I decided to talk to my mom. But then I thought about the influence I might have had. I realized that he might have heard me swearing. I know I need help with this habit. But it's going to take a lot of work. I've heard my brother say some words, too, but he changes a few letters in the word so that he's not actually saying the word. All of us have decided we're not going to swear anymore. It's going to take a lot because, as my mom said, once they're in your mouth and mind, it's hard to get them out. Could you please pray for us as we take this on? I really want to quit this habit, and I don't want my brother to be badly influenced, especially not by me.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 9:18 AM
I'll pray for you! It's really good that you want to quit swearing. I think the best way is trying to say a synonime which doesn't mean bad.
Site Helper
#3 Old 23rd May 2012 at 7:25 PM
What progress have you been making? It's been long enough now that you should have started seeing results.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th May 2012 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
What progress have you been making? It's been long enough now that you should have started seeing results.

If anything, I think it's gotten worse, if not stayed the same. I need to try harder to control myself

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th May 2012 at 5:13 AM
Oh I'm so sorry. I need to try to stop, too. It seems so wrong.
I'll pray for you, keep going on with this goal ! D:
Site Helper
#6 Old 28th May 2012 at 3:05 PM
Do you have any friends who don't swear? Hanging around them more often (And explaining to them that you are trying to quit swearing) might help.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Alchemist
#7 Old 28th May 2012 at 5:55 PM
Why is it wrong to swear? It's just words. I think people should think thoroughly before taking the Bible and it's laws this literally.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Site Helper
#8 Old 30th May 2012 at 2:52 PM
Yes, swearing is "just words." But they are words that can offend (or even hurt) other people. And yes I said "hurt". If someone calls you a M---F--- B---, how does it make you feel? How are you likely to react? Emotional pain is just as real as physical pain; it's just harder to see the wound. (And if that comment starts a fight, there is going to be physical pain involved as well.)

Even if the swearing is confined to reactions to situations, it makes you sound like you are less intelligent or reliable than you are. It may not be fair, but it is the way the world works. Avoiding swearing indicates a greater degree of self-control, and thus greater reliability. It also indicates that you have learned enough to be able to quickly think of better words to use in those situations. Both of these indications may be wrong, but this is the impression it gives. And fair or not, people judge you by the impressions you make. This becomes important when you are doing things like looking for a job. Of course you aren't going to swear in the Personnel Manager's office. But what if they heard you swearing in the parking lot of the store yesterday when you came out and found a flat tire?

So even thinking thoroughly about the commandment to bridle your tongue leaves the conclusion that swearing is a habit best broken.

Test Subject
#9 Old 31st May 2012 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Creeper
Why is it wrong to swear? It's just words. I think people should think thoroughly before taking the Bible and it's laws this literally.

If we don't take the rules literally, then how should we take them? Metaphorically? God put them in place for us to follow, and even if you don't believe this swear words are hurtful no matter how you spin them.
Scholar
#10 Old 13th May 2015 at 12:33 AM
Years old thread, but perhaps someone (other than me) still wants to talk about this anyway?
You see, I was raised not to swear or cuss - or so my parents believed. What they taught me in truth was to replace the "bad words" by seemingly harmless ones. For example instead if Scheiße (engl. shit) we had to say Scheibenkleister or Scheibenhonig (something like window paste/window honey). Instead of weaning me from the swearing habit, it made my long to grow up fast and be allowed to use the real swear words that didn´t sound silly.
As an adult now I have come to the opinion that it isn´t the actual words we use, that soils the soul, but the act of swearing in itself. I´ve heard my mother say "Scheibenkleister" with a conviction and anger that put to shame any "real" swearword and often enough I use "damn" in a casual manner that carries almost no emotional fallout at all. More often than not I manage to control my hatred and frustration, but sometimes I do slip. And if I do, I feel regret, but I could not care less about what word I have used.
Scholar
#11 Old 13th May 2015 at 2:15 AM
Jesus Christ said in response to the pharrases when they asked him about the old Jewish law of eating only animals with hooves and that chew the cud.
He said that it is not what goes into a person that makes them unclean but what comes out of their mouths.

It is indeed the act not the word because I have a Bitch but that doesn't mean that I have just sworn. I have a female dog who doesn't stop licking anyone. Our emotions often allow us to swear, and being sinners we will slip and swear.

What people above have said got you interested because you know that it is something that you struggle with.
Even doing a sin once counts as a stuggle.
God understand that.

I don't swear often and the same as you I feel regret when I do so. One time it felt so wrong that I was almost going to cry. Not because of the word I used but because I became too angry at myself and God. I recognized that I sinned and asked for forgiveness soon after.

I hope that this is helpful to you.
Cheers
Sims2Christain