Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 10:33 AM
I've read on The Sims Wikia that the Tragic Clown is based on Patch Adams. But basing on the fact that in the Sims 1, he can open a hole and the ground and disappear can also mean he was partly inspired by Pennywise the Dancing clown.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Also, why is this in TS4 forum?

Because we're all clinging on to a flimsy hope that we won't have to endure this stuff for the next installment.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Also, why is this in TS4 forum?

Because of where the franchise is headed.
Scholar
#29 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 4:27 PM
I don't mind pun furniture names and such, and some references go over my head, but I don't want memes in the game just to have them in the game. If one of the Sims pre-recorded lines is "YOLO" I will torch the franchise and write a disappointed letter to EA (THEN they'll be sorry)

C-A
Forum Resident
#30 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Oh god, YES, this. The sims are supposed to exist in some cultureless world but it is so overly American and I feel like they haven't even tried to incorporate other cultures a lot of the time. I mean "European style"? Europe is a big place I didn't understand half of the references in TS2 University, either.

That's one thing that I dislike about World Adventures. What if you like to pretend that your main world is a different country already? Like, when I was playing Setra my Sims kept rolling desires to go to Egypt. You're IN Egypt, guys!
Alchemist
#31 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
That's one thing that I dislike about World Adventures. What if you like to pretend that your main world is a different country already? Like, when I was playing Setra my Sims kept rolling desires to go to Egypt. You're IN Egypt, guys!

They should've made the adventures more generic-themed, like in Bon Voyage. :/

Just call me Nikel
Forum Resident
#32 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 7:32 PM
You know I don't care either way, I could do without a million references, but I'm looking forward to the game, anyway.

But, by now I actually hope the developers make the game choke-full of hamfisted and fleeting pop-culture references, just to annoy the people here who keep b*tching about something they haven't even played yet, about something no one has played yet and about the quality of which there is at this point no concrete information and only the vaguest of hints. I don't mind people voicing their opinion and I don't say people have to worship the Sim "Gurus" (snicker...) or that the SIms 4 is perfect (I really hope Toddlers will be back) but every thread here is like 90% negative and everybody who says something positive about the game gets screamed down immediately. And it's only like this here on Mod The Sims; Snooty Sims, Sims VIP and the German fan-sites offer a possibility for a variety of opinions (positive and negative) to coexist. It's not even entertaining to read this forum anymore.

So people, calm down everyone because:
#YOLO ;-P

And while I'm on it, just for you guys:
#Bro #I Can Has Cheeseburger #Sad Panda #Selfie #Brony #Doge #My Hand is a Dolphin #Literal Music Video(#Mullet With Headlights, #What the Effing F*ck; the Angel Guy just Felt me Up, #Pipe Wrench Fight) #Laser Cats #Ceiling Cat #Insanity Wolf #Rock-Roll #Fedoras #Imma Charging Mah Lazers #Hashtag
Instructor
#33 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:53 AM
... I feel like just reading that last part of your post, my I.Q. has dropped a significant amount.
Dammit.

I must admit though, while I love the humor in my game - despite my age (19), most memes go over my head due to the fact I don't live on social media websites. I mean, my younger sister had to explain that Doge thing to me and I'm still not 100% sold on it. I get that EA wants to be "hip to the kids" but does EVERYTHING have to suffer in the mean time? Like, you want memes? Fine, go ahead. But don't JUST reference memes.

*Has no idea what she's saying anymore due to being infected with the plague.. err.. flu*.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#34 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 9:32 AM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 25th Jun 2014 at 10:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88
(...)
So people, calm down everyone because:
#YOLO ;-P

And while I'm on it, just for you guys:
#Bro #I Can Has Cheeseburger #Sad Panda #Selfie #Brony #Doge #My Hand is a Dolphin #Literal Music Video(#Mullet With Headlights, #What the Effing F*ck; the Angel Guy just Felt me Up, #Pipe Wrench Fight) #Laser Cats #Ceiling Cat #Insanity Wolf #Rock-Roll #Fedoras #Imma Charging Mah Lazers #Hashtag
Considering that I know some of these and am neither the target group nor target age for them it is rather safe to say that you proved the point of this thread, namely, that they must have outlived their being cool a long time ago and therefore are LAME!
But here's a nice quote from a game from 2004 for you:"Don't you know that it's a bad idea to disturb an angry mob?"
Test Subject
#35 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88

But, by now I actually hope the developers make the game choke-full of hamfisted and fleeting pop-culture references, just to annoy the people here who keep b*tching about something they haven't even played yet, about something no one has played yet and about the quality of which there is at this point no concrete information and only the vaguest of hints.

That's just being unnecessarily trendy, to the point of desperation. Is EA/Maxis losing profits and sales that they have to pander to the younger demographic? I don't think so. Just look at how companies are using social media to attract more people, twitter replies and all that. It's all about staying relevant.

I don't think The Sims have to have so much memes and fads to be relevant. IT HAS TO BE THE MEME. And it did right? Like that plumbob pic with the caption "Not enough money to buy pizza, sells window" Also, huehuehuehuehuehue
Scholar
#36 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 11:53 AM
Quote:
But, by now I actually hope the developers make the game choke-full of hamfisted and fleeting pop-culture references, just to annoy the people here who keep b*tching about something they haven't even played yet, about something no one has played yet and about the quality of which there is at this point no concrete information and only the vaguest of hints.

Actually, we have every right to bitch about this game as much as we want, considering the official information we are being given ends up removing the most basic of things, things that have been staples in the game's evolution and otherwise things we want or expect in a game. If you are totally fine to not think it's disgusting that basic features of the game are being removed and yet the developers still expect us to lap it up and pay 60$ for it, that's fine for you. But not for us.

C-A
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 9:31 PM
I am so sick of "bromances".(They're in Ts4, right?)
I am going to make all "bromance-y" sims fall in love just to prove a point. Should be easy enough, not that anyone would care....
#38 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 11:25 AM
Come to think of it, in order to be really up to date shouldn't they rather have referred to the emotions bit as "The Feels"?
Scholar
#39 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Come to think of it, in order to be really up to date shouldn't they rather have referred to the emotions bit as "The Feels"?

Aaaargh, those words are wrong and anyone who uses them needs to get a large ruler shoved up their ass! Noun for to feel is Feeling. If they had labelled it "the feels" I would've complained as shit to EA about this. Maybe with Anthrax.

C-A
#40 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 1:44 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 27th Jun 2014 at 2:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Aaaargh, those words are wrong and anyone who uses them needs to get a large ruler shoved up their ass! Noun for to feel is Feeling. If they had labelled it "the feels" I would've complained as shit to EA about this. Maybe with Anthrax.

C-A
It's a part of meme language. Things change, get over it. I loves me my feels! /sarcasm
(But thanks for offering me to experience something that's still on my list of things to do before I die! - I mean the ruler bit)
Forum Resident
#41 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 12:22 PM Last edited by Phoenixfire88 : 29th Jun 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Considering that I know some of these and am neither the target group nor target age for them it is rather safe to say that you proved the point of this thread, namely, that they must have outlived their being cool a long time ago and therefore are LAME!
But here's a nice quote from a game from 2004 for you:"Don't you know that it's a bad idea to disturb an angry mob?"

....Or I have proved the opposite of the Thread in that even you know some of those memes Internetculture (as stupid as it often is) has entered regular culture and is jsut as relevant to reference as other things. It's a bit sad to put Lolcats on the same level (in a way) as Jane Eyre or Rosemary's Baby but well... may I say YOLO?

And come on, an angry mob about an effing computer game? Angry mobs are for revolutions and social injustice, not whether there is a "bro" trait in Sims 4. Naturally everybody can complain as much as they like, but I am allowed to offer my input as well. And I have a habit of often playing Devil's Advocate because I don't like it when a group or a place has a prevalent set of thoughts you are not allowed to diverge from and when people just repeat what others have said.

And this forum is in large parts as diverse in their opinions as 1984 a few people just keep posting and posting complaining about the silliest aspects of the game or things that weren't different in Sims 3 or even try to talk others into not buying Sims 4 which smells of "If I can't enjoy it nobody is allowed to!" But maybe I should just give in and embrace Big Brother: liking Sims 4 or being neutral about it is Doubleplus Badthink, yes? Hating Sims 4 (even though I have never played it) is Doubleplus Goodthink.
#42 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 12:29 PM
Well, I wouldn't consider myself as being part of "irregular" culture, whatever it may be that you define as regular or irregular.

But anyway, the angry mob quote is actually a paraphrasis of "Haters gonna hate!" so I wouldn't read to much into it. It was a joke.
Forum Resident
#43 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 12:51 PM Last edited by Phoenixfire88 : 29th Jun 2014 at 1:03 PM.
Well, I wouldn't consider myself as being part of "irregular" culture, whatever it may be that you define as regular or irregular.

But anyway, the angry mob quote is actually a paraphrasis of "Haters gonna hate!" so I wouldn't read to much into it. It was a joke.

Sorry, dude, meant to write "regular culture" as in "not-internet-culture" and mistyped. Even I know those memes I mentioned only because I lived in a student dormitory for a few years and was pretty much surrounded by that nonsense, I hadn't heard of doge until this thread actually.

Ah it was a joke, then I am very much relieved. But you know there are people, not you probably, but others, can extremely upset and even violent about silly things like that (Just look at Black Friday in the US) Pack Mentality can be something very dangerous.And my 1984 reference stands !
Test Subject
#44 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 8:02 PM
There are some references to older stuff. In TS4, Fenestral Manoeuvres in the Dark is a reference to Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, a '70s/'80s synth pop band. Given not many people seem to have noticed this, maybe there are some references that are so obscure no-one's noticed.
Smeg Head
#45 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H2SO4_Sc
There are some references to older stuff. In TS4, Fenestral Manoeuvres in the Dark is a reference to Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, a '70s/'80s synth pop band. Given not many people seem to have noticed this, maybe there are some references that are so obscure no-one's noticed.

And zombies, in reference to many TV, books and movies about rising from the dead. And also in reference to what you just did with this thread.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 1:08 AM
I'm surprised they haven't released a Seasons pack, just so they could drop the line "Winter is coming" again.
Scholar
#47 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 6:35 AM
I looove some of the pop culture references, like Downton Abbey on the TV, and the book titles which I find quite funny. Some I can do without but meh whatever my panties are firmly in place.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 7:42 PM
Pop culture references in the Sims 3 and 4 remind me of the time that Wendy's tried to reference meme culture in their ads:

Both are cringy, forced, and not the least bit funny or clever.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Page 2 of 2