Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for February - posted on 1st Mar 2017 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 1097 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 12:03 AM
Default How would you solve Global Warming?
I believe there are too many humans on the planet and no one should be allowed to have kids until the population of the earth drops down to a half billion or so with modern birth control and government oversight it would not be hard, and no one should be allowed own cars or aircraft, that is a practical solution to the problem.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 12:51 AM Last edited by HarVee : 11th Mar 2017 at 1:01 AM.
No, that is not practical. What is practical (in theory)? Allow people to have children, but pass laws so they're only allowed to have one child. This will help maintain our population numbers and create balance between number of deaths and births, and thus prevent dramatic increases in usage of planet resources.

Ban usage of fossil fuels, and promote and encourage and fund development of clean energies. Electric vehicles with zero emissions, solar and wind and hydro-electric power, etc.

Set a Limit of how much amount of plastics can be produced worldwide and give tax incentives to companies that use alternate less-harmful materials.

Knowledgeably | Eminent | Mysterium | Esoteric | Terminology

"We're building models of the way the world works around us." ~ Will Wright

☥ ModtheHarVees™ ☥
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 1:15 AM
By the time you'd reduced the population to half a billion using the first method, people would be too old to have kids, and humans would die out. There are around 7 billion people on Earth, after all... Also, I honestly don't think you'd get the entire Earth to agree to such a crazy idea. Considering there's pretty much nothing you can get governments to agree on, I doubt that plan would even have a hint of success.

Having a one-child or two-child policy may work for some countries where people generally get more children than they can support, but for other countries the birth rates are already so low there's a danger of underpopulation in a short time.

The trouble isn't "too many humans" - compared to various other species we're quite outnumbered. The main trouble is what we do and how we use resources, particularly in the richest and most populated parts of the world. Over-harvesting resources, digging up oil and gas meant to stay where it was, making factories without a thought to the environment, driving around one person in each car even for walking distances, and so much more. For thousands of years, humans managed to live more or less in pact with nature, up until a few thousand years ago. It's only the past 500-2000 years or so we've really managed to screw it up.

If people learned how to share resources, and to use what we have in a more environmentally friendly way, we'd probably manage to halt some of the problems. But that'll probably not happen until we're forced to out of necessity, and even then some governments will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the agreements...

If everyone did their bit - not buying more than they need or can use, not letting food and other resources go to waste because of overproduction and overstocking, using their legs instead of the car whenever possible, using better ways than planes to get around for long distances, not buying "the newest of the newest" just because it's new and shiny and yours is last year's model - then we'd get things going. If governments made sure things like deforesting rainforests, illegal waste dumps, and factory pollution didn't happen, and put people onto finding environmentally friendly fuels and other useful things, then we'd get even further. These are things we can do, even in 2017.

Global warming may also have a natural component we humans won't be able to do much to counter. Humans probably have done things to speed it up as we're seeing it now - but the Earth has seen large variations in climate over time. Humans still wore animal skins during the last ice age, and about 4.5 billion years ago, "global warming" would have been a laughable term for the seething piles of volcanic lava the Earth sported (there was a global cooldown period, though). The sun, moon, and rest of the solar system probably do their part screwing with the climate, too. As for now, we're not much more than annoying insects to the Earth. If humans disappear sometime down the line, Earth will manage just fine (unless we manage to blow up the planet, or get hit by another asteroid, or some other Earth-destroying event happens) until it gets burned or eaten up by the sun, some billion years from now when the sun expands.

Point is - we should individually and globally do what we can to halt global warming, and we probably can do a great deal if we're willing - but even if we do everything we can, we may not be able to stop it entirely.
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 7:14 AM
How could any of this be enforced? And why would anyone want to try and save the world if it means taking away basic human rights and turning everyone into obedient government controlled robots?
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#5 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 10:37 AM
Honestly, none of this is gonna hit the mark. Private individuals aren't the ones creating the bulk of the pollution - ofc, recycling and telecommuting and reducing the amount of disposable products we use is all worthwhile, but the big culprit is industry. Reducing the population isn't going to change the fact that one factory, staffed by a couple hundred robots and three human supervisors, can pump out more pollution in a day than most families create in a year.

I'm not entirely sure that capitalism is compatible with sustainability. But given the system we're in, the real solution is going to be to make it unprofitable for industry to pollute, even to pollute to what we currently consider "acceptable" levels. Tax the shit out of any company that hasn't passed a stringent green certification. Fine companies for every unit of CO they produce, every litre of contaminated water they dump, every tonne of waste that they don't recycle, every usable or consumable product that they dump or destroy to keep prices high. Then take all that money and drive it back into universal basic income, so that employees won't suffer when the companies that can't or won't be environmentally responsible go bankrupt under all the fines. (Take the industrial estates as part of liquidation and turn them into nature reserves.) We'll all be better off.

Of course, this won't happen, because oligarchy.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 12:06 PM
What needs to happen is that the UN needs to be put in control of every country in the world and need to be given the power to executed on the spot anyone who adds to global warming. All tech including computers and cell phones needs to be banned and no one should be allowed to eat any food they didn't grow themselves on their own land, together with a strict population limit this could solve all problems on this planet in 20 years or so. This may seem extreme, but these are extreme times, in 50 years the earth will no longer be able to support life, so something needs to be done quickly or we are all doomed. Private corporations and anyone living above the poverty line should also be against the law, because then there would be no reason for anyone to produce green house gasses, and all cars should be rounded up and destroyed and owning a car should result in instant execution, it is the only way to save the planet, we are all dead if these steps are not taken right away!

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#7 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 8:29 PM
"Back to nature" solutions have an inherent appeal, but they screw disabled people. Once we've destroyed all cars, how is someone who can't walk supposed to go anywhere? If we destroy all tech, how do people who have conditions like motor neuron disease communicate with their friends, families and carers? And how is a 90 yearold who lives on their own supposed to grow enough food to live on?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 8:56 PM Last edited by EvilMcNastySim2015 : 12th Mar 2017 at 7:05 PM.
It's called natural selection, the weak die, our biggest mistake is letting people live to be in their 90s and people who would have died in the past are kept alive now, and that has let to over population and if we don't change that according to ever scientist on the planet, in 50 to 100 years the Earth will no longer be able to support any form of life. I know it seems harsh but the truth is for anyone to live then some must die, we need to start living by the laws of nature, not committing crimes against them, that is the realistic and hard truth of life.

That is just how nature works, you don't have to like it, but going against it puts all life on earth in grave danger.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Theorist
#9 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 3:18 AM
Cynically, the best solution is just to kill all people as we as a species are responsible for this mess. If that's not an option for you: the major industrial countries like the USA and China are the main problems here. But even than, at some level it's Mother Nature herself. We came from an ice age and went to the current point, for a large part without or with little human interference.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 11:40 AM
Certainly not with bloody electric cars. That only adds a middleman to the whole process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor86
Cynically, the best solution is just to kill all people as we as a species are responsible for this mess.

There's a bottom line I can agree with.
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#11 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 4:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
It's called natural selection, the weak die, out biggest mistake is letting people live to be 90s and people who would have died in the past are kept alive now
That's an assumption based on completely inaccurate ideas about human history. Humans have never allowed old or disabled people to die - of course, a lot died in the past because we didn't have the medical knowledge and technology required to save them. But this idea that humans in ancient or prehistoric societies would just abandon disabled members of their communities has no basis in fact. We're social, we've always looked after our own.

And, furthermore, to just let people die is morally bankrupt. Our "primitive" ancestors understood that, but even if they hadn't, that wouldn't provide an excuse for us to ignore it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 5:43 PM
I didn't say it was pleasant or nice, or it even felt right, all I said that that it is the way the world is supposed to work to keep things in balance, that is all. With all of our tech we have knocked things out of balance and now we are paying the price, that is all. The earth can't support the number of humans on it, so either the number of humans has to decrease, or the inter planet dies. Those are just the cold hard facts, I didn't say they were nice or they would make you feel good about yourself or the human race, because the truth is, that reality will never make you feel good about either of those things. Life is nothing but pain with no good choices in it, only the ones that keep the planet alive, and those will never feel good to any of us. I don't like it any more then you do but it is the law of nature and that can never and should never be fought.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#13 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 8:16 PM
Again, there's... really no evidence to support any of that, unless you've read something I haven't. We don't have a shortage of space or resources, we have structural inequality in how they're allocated, which feeds into a cycle of environmentally destructive agriculture and industry, while simultaneously creating massive waste and suffering. We don't have to resort to eugenics in order to protect the environment, we have to radically alter the way we consume resources.

And, on that note - any 'solution' which targets marginalised people while protecting the powerful, like yours does, will not solve the problem. The powerful are protected from the impact of environmental destruction; if all you do is get rid of the people who are least able to survive, you will end up with a same size group of people who don't give a shit and a much smaller group of those who do.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#14 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 3:18 PM
1) Not allowing people to have children is unsustainable. By the time they could have children again, everyone would be too old to reproduce.
2) A true one-child policy often doesn't work because people end up killing their female children in order to have a male. A pseudo one-child policy where further children are second-class citizens is an abuse of human rights.
Theorist
#15 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 6:24 AM Last edited by Viktor86 : 15th Mar 2017 at 6:56 AM.
That 2) is even visible China currently, where they've a huge lack of girls. And I know there's a strong urge to have boys in the Arabic culture. I know even of Arabic guys blaming their wife for only delivering girls, while biologically he's responsible for that. It only works if both genders are considered equal a.k.a. it doesn't matter which sex my child has.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 1:26 PM
Well 1 I think by the time we reduce the population to what the earth can support human cloning will have gotten to the point where it can be used to solve the problem.

2 is very easily solved by a two step program. Step one would be to make it against the law for a woman to change her name to be the same last name as her husband and because she is the one who gives birth have the children be given her last name, not the father's. That way people worrying about their family line going on will be not have to worry is a baby is male or female. Step two is make it a crime for parents to find out what gender their baby is before the birth, that way they have no control over if their one child is a boy or a girl, problem solved.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 4:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
Step one would be to make it against the law for a woman to change her name to be the same last name as her husband and because she is the one who gives birth have the children be given her last name, not the father's. That way people worrying about their family line going on will be not have to worry is a baby is male or female. Step two is make it a crime for parents to find out what gender their baby is before the birth, that way they have no control over if their one child is a boy or a girl, problem solved.


I have to assume by your posts that you are playing devil's advocate, because you surely cannot serious about the things you say! I did have a bit of a chuckle reading your last post though, because after all the many human rights violations you have suggested in order to 'save the planet' you now suggest removing probably the last remaining two.........a parents right to choose their baby's name and their choice to know the sex of their baby!

Well, at the very least you are an enigma, because on the one hand you are proposing to allow the UN control of every country in the world and to execute on the spot anyone who adds to global warming and that all cars should be rounded up and destroyed and owning a car should result in instant execution, to name just two of your ideas!! So its death to anyone adding to global warming and death to anyone owning a car! Oh, and you advocate natural selection too..............and yet in another thread you said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
I would rather die in a terrorist attack, then live in Hitler's wet dream,


Hitler, indeed! Which is it going to be?
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 8:36 PM
I would like to plead the 6th on this one.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Alchemist
#19 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 8:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
Well 1 I think by the time we reduce the population to what the earth can support human cloning will have gotten to the point where it can be used to solve the problem.

2 is very easily solved by a two step program. Step one would be to make it against the law for a woman to change her name to be the same last name as her husband and because she is the one who gives birth have the children be given her last name, not the father's. That way people worrying about their family line going on will be not have to worry is a baby is male or female. Step two is make it a crime for parents to find out what gender their baby is before the birth, that way they have no control over if their one child is a boy or a girl, problem solved.


Cloning in the long term is just an extended death sentence. Humans need genetic variation, not just to reproduce, but to pass along resistances to otherwise lethal illnesses. Illnesses that are always mutating, and require a functional resistance system to combat them. If you have a colony made out of the exact same genetics, and they all lack the immune system to survive, you've effectively wiped out the human race. PS, you advocated getting rid of technology, and guess what cloning is? You can't have it both ways.

And, that solves nothing. Last names don't change anything. You could have no names, and it would still not work. You could prevent the parents from finding out the gender before birth, but they'll know after it's born, and if it matters that much for them to have a boy rather than a girl....well, look no further than ancient Greece. By your "The weak should die" rhetoric, nothing would stop these people from leaving their female babies to die in the woods, because "they were too weak to fend for themselves". By saying that the weak dying off would be a benefit, you are also saying that babies, children, the elderly, the disabled, and the unwanted should die off. Stephen Hawkings has given us so many tools to understand our world and change it for the better, but you'd rather have him die off because of a disease that he has no control over. That, OP, isn't just bad logic, it's monstrous. You're assuming that a person's worth to the greater good is based purely on their physical capabilities, and that's completely irrational.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"Science literacy is a vaccine against the charlatans of the world that would exploit your ignorance."~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Theorist
#20 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 7:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
I would like to plead the 6th on this one.


This is neither here nor there, but at least in the US Constitution, the 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to trial by jury, not the right to remain silent...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Back to top