Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 11th Jul 2018 at 9:35 AM Last edited by Scobre : 11th Jul 2018 at 7:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BudgieSimBoy
The closest I have seen a "game changer" criticise the game was James SimSupply about the whole THE SIMS 4 PETS STUFF PACK and he was very careful.
In reality they cannot afford to lose or criticise EA it is biting the Hand that feeds them , if they did not get early access to Sims content there view counts would take a huge hit and as most of them rely on this for income they need to be inside the EA tent, however are we ever going to get a total honest review from them no.
No matter what SimGuruKate states, look we only have to look at what happened after LGR fairly criticised the Ball Pit in Toddler stuff the next expansion pack cats and dogs no review code was provided to him.

Scratch the first part, seems like it was a different James on discord. I just wish that gameplay was just as important at fixing than these petty visual things like this. LGR's reviews I always respect and kind of glad he refused being apart of the Game Changer program because he plays such a vast game base beyond just the Sims. Would be a waste of time for him just to focus just on one game since he covers so much information about gaming and computer programs and technology that have been released throughout the years. I am someone who comes off as more critical about the game, but when I started I liked the game, so been an interesting journey on being judged just on how I have felt towards the Sims 4 either way having the extremes forced upon me by other Simmers. I don't mind Deli or James personally, but yeah I don't stay on their channels for long. LGR is entertaining for me and covers much more of the packs in a fraction of the time. There are some Game Changers that I do watch still that have later come into the program. What I look for with Sims Twitch channels is if they report bugs, they can be critical about the game, and how they treat other Simmers. Generally what I look for with channels. I also appreciate a balanced feedback about games.

I do see there being some bias with not just Game Changers, but Simmers who are critical about the game. Thankfully I have met a few Gurus that let me talk to them about the Sims with them even though there are some that did not but then again they are some that aren't the title SimGurus. I have mixed feelings about the video because there are things I agree and disagree with the both of them. All I know is I am a casual gamer and proud of it and I've been gaming since the days before save files with my NES that still runs Mario/Duck Hunt games. I've played anything from FPS to MMOs to MOBAs to simulation to tycoon games. I know who I am, I know what I like about the Sims and gaming in general, and I have found my own voice. I have my own favorite channels and talked with many within the Sims community. I do support individuality and constructive feedback. I guess when it comes to the video I don't fit into either extreme of the Sims, I am somewhere in-between and met so many amazing in the Sims community that accept that about me. I just hope that the Sims community becomes more accepting of Simmers being different from one another instead of squishing everyone into a critical or praise box. I choose to burn my box with my pyro Simmer ways and form my own path in life. Plum the system, I don't want to be apart of the Romeo and Juliet tragedy that continues to go on within the Sims community. Deviant Simmer for life.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 11th Jul 2018 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I think the issue has been confused here. I didn't say / imply that running a YouTube channel is easy. There are people that literally spend most of their waking hours editing, script writing, making thumbnails, ect... Male, female, simmers, and non-simmers alike. This is not the problem. This issue of who is being sponsored by companies could be resolved if people were honest. Since nobody can count on that, it is up to the viewer to determine if what they are being shown is a advertisement or not.

There are Youtubers that like to conflate this issue. They wrap advertising for whatever product they are peddling that day into stories. To the untrained ear, one is lead to think that the person must really like a business or a product. It is amusing to listen to stories about how people love {insert thing here} and yet, if you go through the history of some of these channels with all of their stories, there isn't a single video about the product they are selling. Playing sims doesn't make a person exempt from this behavior whether they are 'undergound' or not.

As for the Yib program, it has acted like a poison pill to the community pretty much since its inception. Nothing is going to change in that regard until something changes. EA enjoys having free advertising, so it isn't likely that the needed change will ever come.

100% agree. Thank you again for clarifying further, I'm admittedly a wee bit dense when I don't get enough sleep. Your patience is appreciated

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#78 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 1:14 AM Last edited by thevogel : 13th Jul 2018 at 3:11 AM.
The unfortunate thing is that this whole conversation about the sims and the issues with it could have been a interesting one. The collective we around here talk about such things all the time. It would have been nice to have somebody ( Optimus in this case) breathe some fresh air into said conversation. Whether anybody agrees with his point of view or not is moot.

Instead, it has been turned into rock throwing over what defines 'casual player'. I personally don't give a flying fig about such things. I've been called far worse. Now I sit back and continue to watch the rock throwing. Fun times..... not really.

I know the conversation is going in circles...but I liked how he pointed out a lot of the "stripping away of content and mechanics", a different perspective is not always a bad thing.

I don't' think there would be any rock throwing if people were engaged in playing this game, instead of dissecting the shit out of it, and picking fights with each other. TS4 is the problem...it is a hunk of shit. Look at the feedback section at the EA OF... there are probably 15 top threads about what people dislike, want to see change, or what they want added..... and Seasons just came out!!! I mean, TS4 has got to be mind numbingly boring if all people are doing is talking about it, rather than playing it.

Which kinda hits a lot of what Optimus points out, about how awful EA is, and how they are completely incapable of creating anything solid and good anymore.
Instructor
#79 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 1:53 AM
I saw his video and I can't help but agree with him.

Seasons is a nice pack and I'm trying to enjoying what I can from it, but these bugs are hell. Sims standing around when they have an action qued, sims teleporting back and forth from one animation to another , sims coming home from work and school when it's a holiday and the list goes on.

But you know what I'm not surprised. I was actually expecting this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#80 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
I saw his video and I can't help but agree with him.

Seasons is a nice pack and I'm trying to enjoying what I can from it, but these bugs are hell. Sims standing around when they have an action qued, sims teleporting back and forth from one animation to another , sims coming home from work and school when it's a holiday and the list goes on.

But you know what I'm not surprised. I was actually expecting this.

Seriously??? Oh man, that's bad. I'm not playing the game anymore... and i hear stuff like this and I just get so pissed off. After all these years and they still can't fix bugs in the game?

I do feel bad for everyone trying to enjoy it though... it just sucks out loud.
Instructor
#81 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 8:49 AM
I did watch his second video. While I agreed with all of his points regarding sims, the water got really murky when he started talking about how casual gamers don't follow the gaming industry. Then there was the fanboyin' over games like FIFA which made my eye twitch. I understand it was a video about sims, but I found it hard to take the claims about how EA sucks seriously while he spent time praising EA for other games that are loaded with pay-to-win schemes, loot boxes, ect... He briefly touched on sims mobile games, but the details and discussion of $80.00 bedroom sets also flew under the radar. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not.

Again, I'll point out that this whole casual gamer label doesn't mean anything from where I'm sitting. I took exception to the double-speak.

I picked up on that too and didn't agree with it either. I know Sims has kind of gone downhill ever since SPs were introduced in the Sims 2. It gave an EA an excuse to sell less with the Sims and strip down the packs more and more over several packs. I miss the days when there were just EPs. It helped get the team to focus and really expand the themes with rich gameplay. Sims freemium games do cost more than the PC versions. It makes the Sims 3 store seem like chump change in comparison.

It was actually really interesting hearing from some on the official forums say they prefer to pay less over several periods of time rather than a higher price for an EP and generally they don't have high end computers to support all those packs. So in a way there are some in the Sims community fully supporting the whole micro or at this point more of a macrotransaction mindset of purchasing DLC. I actually did a chart to show the overall cost of packs so far and it actually offended some. I was like no, just showing the facts of how much you could be spending at full price and it wasn't even including sales tax and international tax with the packs. So far with no sales tax it is $700, yet Simmers are not willing to pay that for a decent computer to play games. It is going to get to the point that Simmers spend more on Sims 4 packs than they do on their gaming rigs. I guess in a way it is like putting the horse before the carriage. I do think the Sims 3 store and world packs did help water down the effect of the consequences of smaller DLC so that the Sims 4 was better received with selling a lot of pack types, but just a theory. I just know the whole DLC issue didn't just start with the Sims 4, but earlier than that. It just hasn't taken until now for more Simmers to notice it which saddens me a bit considering finances is the background I went to school and now work for. I just don't know if it is a little too late now with changing things. Hopefully with Graham moving over to EPs and packs being released less now means more concentration on bigger packs, but only time will tell.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 2:48 PM
I agree Fifa is a totally different ball game (pardon the pun) to the sims with regards to dlc.

I do agree though that things like laundry, bowling ice cream makers and hot tubs should not be in a stuff pack. But then I disagree with stuff packs in general.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#83 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 3:35 AM
Well... The DLC in general has gotten way out of hand with EA. And I'm pretty sure that is across the board with all their Titles. the overpricing, the loot boxing, and other gambling elements they won't really fess up to. EA has become a cesspool of itself... and the crappy thing is... they have so many great titles to their credit. Why they would choose to take these games and strip them down to nothingness, and then charge more is not just greed...it's stupidity. That's the thing that is so infuriating about them. They could be making a fortune if they would just put the work into these games that already were great. EA has gotten so weak minded with business.

They had plenty of opportunity to really kick the sims up a notch if they just had the balls to do it. They could still do it, but they would rather try to choke out what little life is left in TS4 (not that it ever had much life to begin with) for a few more years by churning out the typical DLC. I don't understand why they didn't just build on what they already had...Stop with the predictable EPs and do everyone a favor and have the basics of all the most popular EP's already in the base game. Then they can build on that. I've detailed that out in another post somewhere on this forum, so I'm not gonna repeat it here.

My frustration with EA has really reached a boiling point. And I'm not the only one. I'm glad to see other gamers voicing their frustrations with EA. It may seem repetative...but that's because EA is doing nothing to change it. And Unfortunately for us, I don't really think they have any plans to make their most popular Titles better. It's more like they would rather kill them off and let the franchises die before they put any kind of extra effort into really developing them further.... LIke they did with Simcity. I think TS4 will be the last Sims game EA ever does. They could prove me wrong... and I would dare them to do so. But I know they will just cop out like they always do and try to find another quick and easy money maker.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#84 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:48 PM
Well they only buy companies whose owners are happy to sell them...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:51 AM
So I got Seasons recently but every day I find two or three bugs. They keep saying that this bug thing has patched and that bug has gone... But they are still there! There are several bugs that really bug me so much : toddlers have romance token, vampires sleep at night and go bar/restaurants at day only to get burnt - but there are no firefighters and my vampires don't have friends so they have to die haha - and most importantly, interactions look all the same.
So I agree with the video and I think DLCs should be connected all together and not to be separated. Developers should check detailed relevancy in each DLC before launching one (might call it compatibility in software-wise?). For example, vampires can't enjoy summer sun - so they tend to declare they hate summer and would rather not come out when it is scorching hot even though their friends call them...something like that. I get to believe...I dunno...there are missing links between DLCs and that can be a reason why there are so many silly bugs. Maybe that is the same reason why I think TS4 sims need soul(and some good sense of humor too!). Their pretty faces and expressions look vacant to me. T.T
I will only buy DLC if the core value, what has been concreting sims community, is filled with it : lots of family love, spice of humor, fulfilling users' creativity, spoonful of DLC's concept.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#86 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:22 PM
Only if they're forced to.

In the meantime. the 'lightening rod' as they've been called around here is out to squash another studio.

EA acquires 'Halo' creator's startup

I've been trying to find the words to respond to this since you posted it.... and All I can feel is

I just shake my head in disappointment.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#87 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 1:13 AM
If they bought these studios, built them up and let them shine, that would be one thing. This however isn't how EA works. They are so money hungry that they'll crush one of their own and think nothing of it.

Karma is going to knock on their door one these days...

Oh my Hell !! I didn't think I could despise them more than i already do... but that pretty much did it for me.

I hope you are right, and some sort of 3 fold Karma comes at them soon... and when i say soon....I mean Now!
Top Secret Researcher
#88 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 9:34 AM
Is EA purposely trying to run themselves in the ground? Probably. Will they achieve it? Not anytime soon.

Why do I want EA to fall apart so badly, I have no idea. But I do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#89 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr

Why do I want EA to fall apart so badly, I have no idea. But I do.

I'm right there with ya. I've been wanting them to fall apart ever since they killed SimCity. And now after shredding TS4 into a shell of what The sims could be....Yeah, their doors can't close soon enough for me.
Scholar
#90 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
I'm right there with ya. I've been wanting them to fall apart ever since they killed SimCity. And now after shredding TS4 into a shell of what The sims could be....Yeah, their doors can't close soon enough for me.

I wholeheartedly agree, Sims 4 just isn't worth the space on my 297 Gb hard drive and I have Skyrim,Sims 2 and 3 with lots of mods and CC to go along with it.
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 6:49 PM
Yeah, I have Sims 2 and 3 and Crusader Kings 2 and Cities: Skylines on my computer, and I am a happy camper with no interest in Sims 4.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:49 AM
I've got Sims 3 with all expansions, all the worlds except Lunar Lakes, City Skylines, Banished, Pharaoh / Cleopatra, and Planet Coaster. I have all my Disks from Sims 1 and sims 2, but I haven't installed them back onto my computer. I want to upgrade to a new Gaming computer before I do that.

EA couldn't pay me to play or install Sims 4 onto my computer.
Scholar
#93 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 3:16 PM
The sad thing is - they made me "don't care less" and I'm not alone with that feeling.
On the other hand... When I saw how much money they made me save with that feeling above, yeah *that* feeling was somewhat very good.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Field Researcher
#94 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 7:00 PM
I do not know where to send it, so this is attitudes of developers to Mods and CC.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...784316493025280
Mad Poster
#95 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
I do not know where to send it, so this is attitudes of developers to Mods and CC.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...784316493025280

It's no surprise how thankful they are to the mod and CC community. I'm pretty sure they're the reason a lot of simmer even play TS4.

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruKate
3. For me personally I am definitely looking to continue adding more CC/Modders to our Game Changer program.

Game Changer is still a thing?

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#96 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 11:21 PM
Quote:
Some folks on the team actually spend time testing out and analyzing various Mods to better understand how they are created, how it interacts with the game, and sometimes even how we might look to implement in the game. It’s actually very neat!
Still wondering how long it'll take to see an official CAW tool after thepancake1 publishes theirs considering how impressed Grant was
Page 4 of 4