Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:39 PM
I made it through 10 generations to finish out a legacy with Pinstar's rules. It took a long time, though, and I took several seriously long breaks from it after a crash that would wipe a few sim days' game play. I know one break was long enough that only World Adventures was installed when I left, and Late Night was in my game for some time already when I went back to it. Switching to the "save as" habit became a necessity as early as gen 1 still being elders, so that helped. I wish I hadn't listened to someone's advice to delete every tombstone in the mausoleum, though. Years later I found out that corrupts games, but I listened to someone who said "it erases the sims you're not using to fix lag" or something like that. I'm sure it's responsible for how touchy the game was by gen 9/10 which was at week 52.

I drew the family tree out as I went along and had every connection I could find. Several original townies were on it beyond the ones related to the founder's spouse. I miss when townies had so many kids on their own without help from a mod. The Late Night vampires really messed up the family tree, though. I moved out a gen 6 spare after I had her married and get pregnant by her spouse, and she turned vamp. She had another kid around the time of gen 8 reaching YA. A gen 9 spare married her kid, because they no longer looked related to the game's family tree. Once you hit the great aunt/uncle stage, the game gives up. I found that kind of creepy. I'm so glad you can turn random occults off now.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Right. I realized something.

Pinstar's legacy is not the only legacy, right? Any multi-generational game is a legacy, whatever rules you use.

You do not need to start off on an empty lot, you do not need CAS sims, and you certainly do not need to play for 10 generations. It could as easily be a family with a naming theme. You could easily motherlode up the family to get a specially-designed home. You could use all the cheats you want. You could use Master Controller to make all females in Sunset Valley pregnant from the sim you're playing at the same time- from the tweenaged Lisa Bunch to the almost-elder Cornelia Goth - and cause eternal mischief. Then said sim's prettiest offspring becomes heir as they get moved to another town. Yes, you could make a "legacy" where all pregnancies are via MasterController, and it would still be a legacy. So yeah.

Well, I think that all Pinstar did was make it a bit more challenging by adding a lot of rules and putting it in a pretty package with a label. People were doing legacies before he ever posted it; they would make a sim and make a family from that. It most certainly not anything new.

Many people refuse to play exactly how he intended the Legacy challenge to done, with the scoring and being homeless. I have tried to play the way he said, and it was impossible. Painting everyone at every lifestage? Its not as easy as it sounds. And if I play starting out homeless, I cant be bothered to make a house.

But thats just me. I think Pinstar is a bit of a hack this way. He just added a bunch of rules to a way players were already playing.

You can call me London, Londo, Londonite, or Mitchie :3
"When you pressure blast Mountain Dew out of your anus, it is not easily forgotten."
Scholar
#53 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:52 PM
I said I would do it and I did it:

One Minute Ninja'd
#55 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Yup, this is why i do not like these kind of legacies. I now just play as the Premades (IE Roomies) or maybe make a family in Epic Lifespan and age the kids when i want to. Or maybe an household of "alternative" rascals.

But in truth, the only real requirement, IMHO, to playing a "legacy" is to play through multiple generations from the starting "founders". The "rules" only apply IF you choose to play a particular legacy CHALLENGE, and want to honestly follow the rules. But I don't think you should consider a challenge the only way to enjoy multi-generational play. Or, make a few rules for yourself, such as certain traits that should be present from generation to generation. But you don't have to play some rigid challenge to enjoy watching a family play out over time.

But the great thing about the game is you can play however you see fit. And if you're having fun with your current game style, go for it, because in the end, that's all that matters.
Page 3 of 3