Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 12167 times.
Page 2 of 2
Test Subject
#26 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 5:05 PM
I'm in the middle of the prehistoric era and had a couple questions:

-What are the rules in each era for children being born out of wedlock? I know there are some rules about pregnancy during affairs, but what if a totally unmarried sim gets pregnant?
-If you move a sim out of your lot, how do you get their urn to display when they eventually die? Or do you only need to display the urns of certain sims?

Thanks so much for reviving this challenge, I'm loving it so far!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 5:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanisfuzzy
I'm in the middle of the prehistoric era and had a couple questions:

-What are the rules in each era for children being born out of wedlock? I know there are some rules about pregnancy during affairs, but what if a totally unmarried sim gets pregnant?
-If you move a sim out of your lot, how do you get their urn to display when they eventually die? Or do you only need to display the urns of certain sims?

Thanks so much for reviving this challenge, I'm loving it so far!

Hi! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge so far!

-I've never really thought too much about kids born out of wedlock, but that's an interesting idea. I would say that if you want to put restrictions on that, just go with whatever seems right to you.
-I believe you can visit the lot later (once someone moves in) and drag the urn/headstone into your inventory, but I'm not sure. Regardless, you only have to display the graves of Sims who were part of the "main" household when they died. I like to keep my ancestors and the Sims who were integral to the challenge on the lot until they die (sometimes a tragic death that I definitely had nothing to do with... ) so that the graveyard can be really fleshed out. It's worth testing to see if you can grab headstones from other houses you don't own, though.
Test Subject
#28 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowieSimmer
Hi! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge so far!

-I've never really thought too much about kids born out of wedlock, but that's an interesting idea. I would say that if you want to put restrictions on that, just go with whatever seems right to you.
-I believe you can visit the lot later (once someone moves in) and drag the urn/headstone into your inventory, but I'm not sure. Regardless, you only have to display the graves of Sims who were part of the "main" household when they died. I like to keep my ancestors and the Sims who were integral to the challenge on the lot until they die (sometimes a tragic death that I definitely had nothing to do with... ) so that the graveyard can be really fleshed out. It's worth testing to see if you can grab headstones from other houses you don't own, though.

Thanks, I'll try that out with the headstones. A random NPC actually just died and left a headstone right outside my lot, so he'll make a good guinea pig (though maybe public land is different from another household's lot, not sure). If it doesn't work, do you think it would be acceptable to control another household just long enough to have some sim place the headstone at the community graveyard? Not a big deal if not, it just irks my completionist soul to not have ALL my challenge sims in the graveyard, haha.

I'll give some thought to the kids out of wedlock thing. They always existed so it seems interesting to allow it (and lets some of my young sims embrace their wilder sides...), though it probably makes sense to have some social consequences back in the early eras, like for affairs.

Thanks again!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that out with the headstones. A random NPC actually just died and left a headstone right outside my lot, so he'll make a good guinea pig (though maybe public land is different from another household's lot, not sure). If it doesn't work, do you think it would be acceptable to control another household just long enough to have some sim place the headstone at the community graveyard? Not a big deal if not, it just irks my completionist soul to not have ALL my challenge sims in the graveyard, haha.

I'll give some thought to the kids out of wedlock thing. They always existed so it seems interesting to allow it (and lets some of my young sims embrace their wilder sides...), though it probably makes sense to have some social consequences back in the early eras, like for affairs.

Thanks again!

Controlling another household for that would be fine, it's only restricted because if you play them for too long your challenge household can get jobs, have kids, etc. without your control. I honestly just hadn't thought about kids born out of wedlock. Let me know what rules you put in place (if any) and how it turns out!
Test Subject
#30 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:50 PM
The one issue i have is that in prehistoric eras, early humans lived in polyamorous, sexually diverse groups, so the restriction on same-sex relationships is unrealistic. i have a feeling this might be a leftover error from a previous version, but i just wanted to make the correction.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidname
The one issue i have is that in prehistoric eras, early humans lived in polyamorous, sexually diverse groups, so the restriction on same-sex relationships is unrealistic. i have a feeling this might be a leftover error from a previous version, but i just wanted to make the correction.

This topic has had a lot of discussion, including in the Prehistoric Era. I think Cloudseeker (and myself) tried to run with the idea of there being polyamory in this Era, but wanted to make the opening up of same-sex relationships later in the challenge feel like a bigger change as you "unlock" more ways to play. This has been so highly requested though, that I am considering changing it for this Era. Enlighten me, though, on what exactly it should be. I understand the polyamory and that perhaps males would take male partners, but I was under the impression that misogyny was also a contributing factor--the dominant males "owned" the women of their tribe, so to speak. This understanding would then mean that males could have as many relationships with any gender they wanted, while women would be bound to only having their one partner as they belonged to only one male. Perhaps they would have relations with other women that male wanted to be with, but those relationships wouldn't be romantic.

Please don't be offended by my breakdown of this--I'm not in any way, shape, or form a history buff. I've done a bit of research on things added since I've taken over the challenge, but mostly left the original rules in place unless they desperately needed changed. I'm sure my experience with numerous adult-themed Skyrim mods is also not helping to foster an accurate understanding of history. If the Prehistoric Era's romance rules are truly that incorrect, I'll take a look into it and see what I can find. However, I would still completely restrict those relationships once more in the Early Civilization Era, as the idea of marriage (enforced by religion) introduced many restrictions and taboos of its own, historically.
Test Subject
#32 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 1:01 AM
Quote:
This topic has had a lot of discussion, including in the Prehistoric Era. I think Cloudseeker (and myself) tried to run with the idea of there being polyamory in this Era, but wanted to make the opening up of same-sex relationships later in the challenge feel like a bigger change as you "unlock" more ways to play. This has been so highly requested though, that I am considering changing it for this Era. Enlighten me, though, on what exactly it should be. I understand the polyamory and that perhaps males would take male partners, but I was under the impression that misogyny was also a contributing factor--the dominant males "owned" the women of their tribe, so to speak. This understanding would then mean that males could have as many relationships with any gender they wanted, while women would be bound to only having their one partner as they belonged to only one male. Perhaps they would have relations with other women that male wanted to be with, but those relationships wouldn't be romantic.

Please don't be offended by my breakdown of this--I'm not in any way, shape, or form a history buff. I've done a bit of research on things added since I've taken over the challenge, but mostly left the original rules in place unless they desperately needed changed. I'm sure my experience with numerous adult-themed Skyrim mods is also not helping to foster an accurate understanding of history. If the Prehistoric Era's romance rules are truly that incorrect, I'll take a look into it and see what I can find. However, I would still completely restrict those relationships once more in the Early Civilization Era, as the idea of marriage (enforced by religion) introduced many restrictions and taboos of its own, historically.

The idea of prehistoric societies being misogynistic is primarily due to the researchers projecting their biases. Because there are no written records of that era, researchers rely upon excavated artifacts and cave paintings. However, further investigation pointed to the majority of artists being women. Additionally, women were the ones developing language while the men went out to hunt. Also additionally, the concept of a strict "men hunted, women took care of babies" is also false. Women also hunted and men also took care of babies.

And guess who were the ones who traveled to seek out new partners (and prevent inbreeding)? It was usually the women.

I apologize if my manner of speech is choppy; I'm not very elegant with words.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 5:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidname
The idea of prehistoric societies being misogynistic is primarily due to the researchers projecting their biases. Because there are no written records of that era, researchers rely upon excavated artifacts and cave paintings. However, further investigation pointed to the majority of artists being women. Additionally, women were the ones developing language while the men went out to hunt. Also additionally, the concept of a strict "men hunted, women took care of babies" is also false. Women also hunted and men also took care of babies.

And guess who were the ones who traveled to seek out new partners (and prevent inbreeding)? It was usually the women.

I apologize if my manner of speech is choppy; I'm not very elegant with words.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll likely look at revamping the relationship sections in the next patch. Were there any other Eras that seemed wrong to you in the relationship rules or had something you would add?
Test Subject
#34 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 9:17 AM
Quote:
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll likely look at revamping the relationship sections in the next patch. Were there any other Eras that seemed wrong to you in the relationship rules or had something you would add?

Everything else seems fine! Thank you for listening
Test Subject
#35 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 8:30 PM Last edited by alanisfuzzy : 6th Aug 2018 at 8:49 PM.
Quote:
Controlling another household for that would be fine, it's only restricted because if you play them for too long your challenge household can get jobs, have kids, etc. without your control. I honestly just hadn't thought about kids born out of wedlock. Let me know what rules you put in place (if any) and how it turns out!

I've been doing some thinking as I play through the prehistoric era, and I decided on some rules I'm going to use for illegitimate children for my own game for Early Civ through Roaring 20s:

If the mother is in the household, she may:
  1. Move out with the baby before or immediately following the birth
  2. Get married to any male sim before the birth, he'll never know! (mother and baby may remain in the household)
  3. Hide inside home from before 2nd trimester until baby is born, then give baby to a children's home (mother may remain in household unless she or baby are seen by any non-household sim before the baby moves out)*
* this would require placing a "children's home" type household in the world with some adult caretaker

If the father is in the household (because he should face consequences too!), he may:
  1. Marry the mother before the birth
  2. Use cheats to reduce household funds by X for secret maintenance of mother/child*
* X = Early Civ: 2k, Middle Ages: 4k, Old West: 8k, Industrial: 16k, Roaring 20s: 32k (not sure if these are logical amounts, but I'm going to feel it out)

I know this is way more complex than most challenge rules, so probably not everyone's cup of tea. A simpler version would be to just make the mother move out, like for affairs -- but I like the multiple different story options this gives and that it's a bit more fair to female sims, while hopefully still being challenging. I'll let you know how it goes!

(FWIW I agree with the recent suggestion on opening the Prehistoric Era to same sex relationships -- any way to be more inclusive of us queer players would be awesome )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:55 AM
Quote:
(FWIW I agree with the recent suggestion on opening the Prehistoric Era to same sex relationships -- any way to be more inclusive of us queer players would be awesome )

I wasn't ever trying to be exclusive--just trying to find a happy medium between historically accurate and inclusive. The relationships used to be waaaay more restricted before I updated the rules last summer.
Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 9:53 PM
Quote:
I wasn't ever trying to be exclusive--just trying to find a happy medium between historically accurate and inclusive. The relationships used to be waaaay more restricted before I updated the rules last summer.

Never said you were! Just that it's nice to see new ways to strike that balance Again, I've been enjoying this challenge a lot as it is now.
Test Subject
#38 Old Yesterday at 7:42 PM
I may have skipped over this in the challenge rules, but I need some clarification on accurately calculating how much money is made per era. Do we simply count family funds, or do we also include the value of the challenge lot? I've already built quite a bit during the early civ era as money is freed up, so it makes sense to me that the final lot value be included. But I don't want to input the wrong value on the challenge sheet.

Another question: I know we can't sell the fish, but what do we do when they start to rot in our inventories? Just sell them and then subtract the funds with a money cheat?
Page 2 of 2