Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 1:55 AM
Default WCIF a good camera mod for skyscrapers?
WCIF a good camera for playing and building skyscrapers? I have Tom Duhamel's, is it good for that?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 2:11 AM
I suppose it all depends on which type of camera mod you're lookin for. Do you want on for the neighborhood or lot view?

I didn't realize there was a difference until I started lookin into them. I was lookin for a good neighborhood one and found that I like Gunmods. I haven't yet really tried one for lot view, but seein as how he has a good n'hood one, I think I'll see how it goes in lot when I need it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 2:14 AM
I want one that I can use to build and play skyscrapers like the ones made by Zarathustra.
Theorist
#4 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 9:09 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Mar 2015 at 4:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PanAm103
I want one that I can use to build and play skyscrapers like the ones made by Zarathustra.

For normal play and build, I use Gunmod's Camera files.
For high altitude play and build, you'd probably want @Sophie-David's Tom Duhamel's Enhanced Gameplay Cameras: High Altitude Option .
Note that I haven't experienced any problems with having both Mods mixed in my cameras folder.
I haven't actually built any higher buildings using Sophie-David's mod, but it was very steady when I looked at it a few days ago, so I think that would be the one to use for that.

Make sure you make a backup copy of your Maxis Cameras folder and put it somewhere for safe keeping before you start switching out the camera files.
Also, here's a hint: If you happen to be running Win 7, if you right-click on a file it gives you the option of restoring an earlier version of the file, which can be a convenient way of switching these camera files. Not sure if other Windows operating systems have that feature, I don't remember XP having it.

Edit: What might surprise you when you first see your neighborhood from high altitude using Sophie-David's camera files, is how light-green the neighborhood looks. The terrain looks like a much lighter green than it does closer to the ground. But this is the way it normally looks, it's just that you've never seen it from high altitude.
You can confirm this using the normal Maxis camera files if you enter picture-taking mode (by pressing the Tab key) and the going up as high as possible. The 'hood terrain is actually a much lighter shade of green than it normally looks from closer to the ground.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 11:00 AM Last edited by maxon : 28th Mar 2015 at 2:11 PM.
That's right Rob - I was going to say you can mix and match. My current set up is a Frankenstein.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 8:08 AM
Just FYI, I DON'T have any camera mods installed- not that that's the best approach, but I'm lazy and have a dumb old computer that I'm afraid will curl up and die if I install much more on it... but, it does mean that you can play lots like my skyscrapers without mods- you just have to get a little more finesse with the camera! Lower camera angles (looking across the lot instead of down on it) help, as do higher zoom levels (if you're zoomed out too far, the camera has an annoying habit of seeming to fall off the side of the building). Again, I'd certainly never say that you SHOULD play like this, but you shouldn't feel that you NEED to get mods to play tall lots!

(although if you're talking REALLY tall, like some of Panmines' stuff, that might be another matter! )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 4:49 PM
Btw … you can change the camera configurations while the game is running.